Pepper Johnson eviscerates Todd, Kacy Rodgers in illuminating interview

T0mShane

Spygate wasn’t a big deal because everyone was doing it?

Let me put it this way: Whomever wasn’t doing anything similar or something like that, they weren’t trying. They didn’t know football.

Why did Eric Mangini turn you guys in, then?

Uh. That’s a whole other story. There’s some people. Like we say with the Giants—Giant for life, true blue. And I still—I’m mad at myself, but I would never get over it, and I would never forgive Jim Burt for diving at Hostetler’s legs, when he went over to San Francisco. There’s nothing that he could possibly say, or anybody could say to me, [that would] make me feel any different. Because he was with us—and I know how bad he wanted to win—but I’m never taking a cheap shot at anybody. I respect the game more than anything, and I’m not taking a cheap shot. And that guy dove on Hostetler’s leg, hurt him, tried to dive on Hostetler’s leg again and didn’t get to him. I’ve seen him again this summer; I’ve seen him at [O.J. Anderson’s] golf tournament. I shake his hand, and that’s about as far as it goes.

Same with Mangini?

It would be the same with Mangini.

All right. Let’s get back to what happened with the Jets firing you.

I’m a strong believer of where the pass rush matches the coverage. This was one of the things that I could not get done with the Jets; I could not get the pass rush and the coverage together

Why?

Because that wasn’t part of the philosophy of the secondary coach. And a lot of people didn’t understand that.

Joe Danna?

Yeah. And Todd. He pretty much ran everything. What probably has me sitting at home now is me sharing this information with Todd, and no one else heard of it. Kacy [Rodgers, the Jets’ defensive coordinator] didn’t know that either, so he talked over it, and he went around it. We didn’t take time out to put emphasis on the coverage.

But how was the pass rush not matching the coverage?

If we are pushing the pocket and the secondary guys are [playing] off, then it’s just pitch and catch [for the offense]. If we’re pushing the pocket and your guys are close, now the pass rush is matching the coverage. If your guys are off and we’re shooting moves, or we’re running pass-rush games, now the pass rush matches the coverage. Because now the coverage is playing for down-the-field passes and we’re rushing the quarterback for down the field passes.

This seems like pretty straightforward stuff. It seems odd to me that an NFL team wouldn’t have that kind of basic synergy on its defense.

You have a problem with—I’m trying my best to put this mildly—of authority. Like, some people, if it’s not their ideals, then they don’t want to use them. Because they’re not getting credit for that.

Are you referring to Todd here? Kacy?

I’m going to tell you this. Todd really could care less. In my experience of dealing with him for two years, he really could care less. So I’m telling on myself.

I have your answer, then.

Kacy, our problem was, Kacy was a defensive line coach in the AFC East, where I was a defensive line coach in the AFC East. I don’t want to say it’s animosity, but there’s several times where he tried to tell me how to coach my guys. You’ve got to do one or two things: You demand this, and this is the only way that it’s happening; I’ve got to run this this way. But if you’re making a suggestion or you’re telling me this is what you did in freaking Miami? I could care less about that because I didn’t think highly of the Miami Dolphins’ defensive line [when Kacey was coaching them]. I thought they got a lot of pass rush from the defensive ends but they didn’t get a lot of pass rush from the inside guys, so that’s why those guys were having a hard time against certain teams and [against] some other teams they just padded their stats

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://deadspin.com/q-a-pepper-johnson-on-drinking-with-bill-belichick-sp-1828726414/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Pretty crazy interview you should all read. He consciously pulls Todd’s name out because (as he admits early on in the interview) he’s trying to get back in the League and doesn’t want to burn bridges. I thought it was amazing that Pepper is trying to incorporate stuff he learned from Belichick but he gets vetoed by Todd and Kacy ******* Rodgers, who are now in charge of one of the worst pass rushing defenses in football. Really explains why Mo and Sheldon disappeared, too. 

Well his point about pass rush and coverage is so totally correct.  I see us blitz (and we do an AWFUL job of disguising this often...oh adams has move up on the line outside of the DE?) and then watch as our cbs are playing 12 yards off on 3rd and 8.

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Just fire him already, Jesus. He’s holding us back.

I think Todd Bowles is one of the worst coaches the Jets have ever had. This guy cannot instill discipline in this team that is so penalty prone it's ridiculous. I would have fired him last year.

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

I mean I always got the impression Bowles was going through the motions...guy got his HC gig and got paid and essentially  pulled a Mo.

Sort of explains why he’s perpetually surprised in post game interviews about things that happen on the field. He’s being sincere when he says he has to “go back and watch the film”

Just now, T0mShane said:

Sort of explains why he’s perpetually surprised in post game interviews about things that happen on the field. He’s being sincere when he says he has to “go back and watch the film”

The Pittsburgh game where a he kicked a field goal down two scores with 8 minutes left was the end.

After reading the whole thing, I can see why he's out of the league right now. He kinda sounds like a know it all just because he's worked with Bellichek for 20 years and is he really speaking in 3rd person? Jesus. He complains he doesn't have a voice with teams then when it comes time to answer questions with the media he gets all pissy. 

But his comments about Todd and Kacy and Woody all seem pretty spot on and you can see why the vibe has changed with Chris Johnson taking over. 

16 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Well his point about pass rush and coverage is so totally correct.  I see us blitz (and we do an AWFUL job of disguising this often...oh adams has move up on the line outside of the DE?) and then watch as our cbs are playing 12 yards off on 3rd and 8.

I think I’m gonna vomit. These defensive principles that Pepper laid out are so basic but the Jets do exactly the above. The corners play off on third and long when we r blitzing so it’s easy pitch and catch for the opposition. I’ve seen the Patriots rumble thru our defense on 3rd downs year after year under Bowles. Does anyone else in the organization not see what’s really going on here? We have talent on defense. Bowles and Rogers need to be gone! I actually believe Pepper Johnson. He is more credible in my eyes than Bowles. I’m think I’m gonna be sick!

26 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

https://deadspin.com/q-a-pepper-johnson-on-drinking-with-bill-belichick-sp-1828726414/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Pretty crazy interview you should all read. He consciously pulls Todd’s name out because (as he admits early on in the interview) he’s trying to get back in the League and doesn’t want to burn bridges. I thought it was amazing that Pepper is trying to incorporate stuff he learned from Belichick but he gets vetoed by Todd and Kacy ******* Rodgers, who are now in charge of one of the worst pass rushing defenses in football. Really explains why Mo and Sheldon disappeared, too. 

Who gives a sh*t?  Another lame excuse to dump on Bowles?  

?

Belichick's defenses were never top of the line.  The hero worshipping of Belichick by some is over the top ridiculous.  Yes, great coach, overall, teams are well coached.  With Brady declining, let's see how things go, because Belichick burns plenty of bridges, players leave and they speak out on him too.

Pepper is out of the league for a reason, and Belichick let him go too!

If I'm Chris Johnson, Bowles & Rogers are on trial this year regarding the defense these guys are running. 4 years & we're ranked in the 20s? 

We've all posted about the off coverage on blitzes. I've wanted to smash my TV set on 3rd downs & we're playing off beyond the f*cking 1st down markers.

I live in New England, so I watch the Jets & then I see the Pats doing exactly what Pepper was talking about, they'll blitz, play tight, QB throws rushes, defense tackles receiver 3 yards short. 

I came up with the Cigar Store Indian name for Bowles, we need a name for Rogers (Klueless Kacy) would work. 

1 minute ago, JetsRay said:

?

Belichick's defenses were never top of the line.  The hero worshipping of Belichick by some is over the top ridiculous.  Yes, great coach, overall, teams are well coached.  With Brady declining, let's see how things go, because Belichick burns plenty of bridges, players leave and they speak out on him too.

I wasn’t sure how far we’d get in this thread before the first “actually, Belichick sucks” post.

If Johnson has been such a defensive genius why hasn't he ever gotten a DC spot?

He's never elevated beyond a position coach and in 13 years in NE Belicheck never

thought to promote him.  Just saying

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

There’s really nothing like a fully grown man doing nothing but assigning blame and making excuses for his own failures. What a hardo.

I feel personally attacked by this post unless it was directed at Pepper Johnson in which case never mind 

11 minutes ago, JetsRay said:

?

RayRay?

8 minutes ago, KRL said:

If Johnson has been such a defensive genius why hasn't he ever gotten a DC spot?

He's never elevated beyond a position coach and in 13 years in NE Belicheck never

thought to promote him.  Just saying

Is he even employed these days? Tough to take a guy seriously who has an ax to grind and isn't coveted by other NFL Coaches. 

I am no fan of Bowles, but I could care less about what Pepper Johnson has to say. 

19 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Hey; I get it. A lot of fans want to Bowles gone. But to take anything a guy who was fired has to say as Gospel is a bit over the top. Consider the source. That doesn't mean that he is lying or even wrong, but consider the source.

My 1st thought was "sour grapes ? "

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

So I am waiting fort the last 5 posters that all said pepper johnson was out a job and sucks to in the 2nd part of their posts actually take him to task for what he is saying.

What he is saying is absolutely not a good look on TB or KR and is not something you want to hear about the guys running your defense/entire team. I mean Todd "could care less?" Ouch. 

But, at the end of the day, you also have to remember that Pepper Johnson is now a disgruntled ex-employee. So, quite obviously, you have to take all of this with a huge grain of salt. 

50 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Didn't Mo have 12 sacks in 2015 and then broke his leg? I think that and the contract had more to do with it.

EDIT: And sheldon had 1 sack last year in 15 games for the Hawks  

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

What he is saying is absolutely not a good look on TB or KR and is not something you want to hear about the guys running your defense/entire team. I mean Todd "could care less?" Ouch. 

But, at the end of the day, you also have to remember that Pepper Johnson is now a disgruntled ex-employee. So, quite obviously, you have to take all of this with a huge grain of salt. 

Yes but what he says as far as the look of our defense seems to me by the eyeball test to be totally true.

Archived