Should the Jets trade all their picks in next year draft

DRJETS

1 hour ago, DRJETS said:

No. But I liked what the Falcons did drafting Julio Jones to help their young franchise QB.  

We need ALOT more than that. We need an oline too. Remember we already don’t have our 2nd rounder.  We should move down and gather more picks really

3 hours ago, DRJETS said:

You saw the game yesterday?  You got ST players running routes others dropping passes that hit their chest.  Our OL is not that bad other than the center position.  We had been drafting Defensive players since the Mangini Era with nothing to show for.  Our immediate need at the moment is helping the development of our franchise QB.  

The give away the farm for one player is kind of the Mike T model. This is how you get a team with holes everywhere. You give away 4-5 picks to get one guy, and what happens if that guy gets hurt or just doesn't live up to the hype? Or, fine, they double/tripple cover that guy because we have nobody else to throw to or we can pass protect long enough for the guy to get open.

Yes, we have no to little talent at WR. But look what happened when 2 of our WRs were hurt; what would happen if we bet the farm on 1 guy and he is hurt? You can't build a team by giving away the draft. Teams that are 1/2 players away can afford to do that, the Jets can't.

7 hours ago, DRJETS said:

In order to grab the best available WR?  I'm very intrigue about this prospect.  I remember when the Falcons tried with Julio Jones and all the "expert" were calling them reckless and know nothing.  But in the end it really took Matt Ryan into the next level.  Also it is not like our inept GM would get a Kareem Hunt in later round.  

Yes, but not for WR.  We should trade all our picks for additional picks.  We're going to need them to rebuild OL, RB, WR, DB, LB, Edge.

6 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Idzik kind of tried to do that in the later rounds of 2013 and 2014. It failed miserably..  2013 he took OGs in the 3rd 5th and 6th - they traded their 4th for Ivory.  Winters remains and is probably over paid and not particularly good.  In 2014 they went for receivers with a 2nd (TE okay, but certainly not a blocker), 2 4ths and 6th.  Only Enunwa remains and I think the others are all out of the league.  I think Amaro had a workout with the Jags in September which is where Idzik picks go to die.  Saunders is supposedly doing okay in Canada.

Well what failed miserably was the 2nd-4th rounders in 2014, and using a pick on a converted DT who should have been looked at as an UDFA whom you don't shed a tear over if someone else drafts him. 3 guard prospects looking for 1, and he got one. 3 WR prospects looking for 1 outside guy and a Kerley replacement? Well he got the 1 outside guy. 

Honestly tripling-down on one position yielded his only long-term draft successes. Well that and Richardson (whatever kind of douche he is, he was a solid player with all the talent in the world, taken in a draft that had just about nothing around our picks, and way below chart value for trading down).

It's not a terrible mid/late round strategy for someone who is terrible at drafting, and has a singular goal for a particular draft, lol.

The Jets need a haul like the Saints got the last 2 years in the draft on offense, Micheal Thomas, Alvin Kamara, Ramczyk, wouldn’t hurt to get a Cam Jordan, Lattimore, and the starting Safety they got I forget his name.  

2016, and 2017 draft.

9 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Or we can just lose out and have the pick already. Seems likely  :) 

I saw some stuff on Nkeal Harry after a poster on JN sent his name my way. That guy seems legit. 

Extremely legit. The Jets have to focus on the offensive side of the ball in the coming drafts and FA. ALL SKILL POSITIONS need to be addressed and of course the OL. The D played well yesterday. Mistakes and lapses started to occur because the offense could not sustain drives so the D wouldn't get gassed. Once the D was on the field as long as it was the Vikes were able to exploit it. The Jets need to surround Sam with guys who can make plays. They need to focus on ALL aspects of the offense like they did the defense in past drafts and FA. It won't happen overnight. It will take some time. The next few drafts and FA periods are crucial to Sams development. I really don't know if I trust Macc to do it. It looks like some of his picks are starting to pan out but I'm still not sold on his ability to build through the draft. Crucial time in Jet Land guys.

Gil Brandt (@Gil_Brandt)

10/22/18, 5:33 PM

Looking at top 50 players for 2019 draft (incl underclassmen I think are coming out) I understand what Dallas is thinking. No WR in top 25. Say Cowboys draft around 20, they'd be reaching for WR less capable than Cooper & they get him for 9 games in 2018. Good deal for Cowboys. 

11 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

We need to just draft all offense for the next two years...

Trade all the picks for experienced, established players. Go the George Allen route. Mac has proven he is over his head when it comes to the draft. 

18 hours ago, C Mart said:

Gil Brandt (@Gil_Brandt)

10/22/18, 5:33 PM

Looking at top 50 players for 2019 draft (incl underclassmen I think are coming out) I understand what Dallas is thinking. No WR in top 25. Say Cowboys draft around 20, they'd be reaching for WR less capable than Cooper & they get him for 9 games in 2018. Good deal for Cowboys. 

Will the Cowboys be paying that reach $14M in 2019?  Will he be an unrestricted free agent in 2020, or will they be under reasonable team control until the 2024 season?   Tell me that, Gil.

10 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Extremely legit. The Jets have to focus on the offensive side of the ball in the coming drafts and FA. ALL SKILL POSITIONS need to be addressed and of course the OL. The D played well yesterday. Mistakes and lapses started to occur because the offense could not sustain drives so the D wouldn't get gassed. Once the D was on the field as long as it was the Vikes were able to exploit it. The Jets need to surround Sam with guys who can make plays. They need to focus on ALL aspects of the offense like they did the defense in past drafts and FA. It won't happen overnight. It will take some time. The next few drafts and FA periods are crucial to Sams development. I really don't know if I trust Macc to do it. It looks like some of his picks are starting to pan out but I'm still not sold on his ability to build through the draft. Crucial time in Jet Land guys.

I generally lean on some buddies and the posters here for the college guys coming out. Then I watch highlight vids and all that to for my opinions. I just don't watch college ball so I don't know. That Nkeal Harry seems like a real man who ould add some toughness to the offense. 

I do agree with you on needing to address the offensive side of the ball heavily over the next few years. I feel better about Macc than some here. I think we have to consider that he was a first time GM and needed to feel his way around the job. He's been progressively getting better from my point of view and I think he has some nice momentum moving forward. This last class seems to be pretty solid and some other guys we've picked are having an impact as well. I would hate to see them gut the whole org and start over. That can be significantly more damaging than people realize. 

Macc is no Terry Bradway, Idzik, Dick Stienberg or trader Mike.  We should remember just how bad a GM can be. Macc has not sold the future for FA's and has a nice touch on UDFA and trades. I think we have our GM. I just hope he has the sack to can Bowles and get a legit offensive HC who is not yet another first time rookie HC. I'm about done with that. 

5 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Will the Cowboys be playing that reach $14M in 2019?  Will he be an unrestricted free agent in 2020, or will they be under reasonable team control until the 2024 season?   Tell me that, Gil.

will the '19 1st rd pick avg 65 catches, 6 TDs a season his 1st 3 NFL seasons?

11 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

I generally lean on some buddies and the posters here for the college guys coming out. Then I watch highlight vids and all that to for my opinions. I just don't watch college ball so I don't know. That Nkeal Harry seems like a real man who ould add some toughness to the offense. 

I do agree with you on needing to address the offensive side of the ball heavily over the next few years. I feel better about Macc than some here. I think we have to consider that he was a first time GM and needed to feel his way around the job. He's been progressively getting better from my point of view and I think he has some nice momentum moving forward. This last class seems to be pretty solid and some other guys we've picked are having an impact as well. I would hate to see them gut the whole org and start over. That can be significantly more damaging than people realize. 

Macc is no Terry Bradway, Idzik, Dick Stienberg or trader Mike.  We should remember just how bad a GM can be. Macc has not sold the future for FA's and has a nice touch on UDFA and trades. I think we have our GM. I just hope he has the sack to can Bowles and get a legit offensive HC who is not yet another first time rookie HC. I'm about done with that. 

Macc can’t fire Bowles. He would need to appeal to The Johnson Brothers for an annulment of his arranged marriage.

On 10/23/2018 at 8:10 AM, #27TheDominator said:

Will the Cowboys be paying that reach $14M in 2019?  Will he be an unrestricted free agent in 2020, or will they be under reasonable team control until the 2024 season?   Tell me that, Gil.

People always misprice the risk in pick for player trades because they don't know where the risk is. The veteran player's talent isn't the proven commodity, the rookie's contract is.

Archived