They're killing my QB!

Jetster

Years ago there was a famous NFL films clip where Sam Wyche calls the referee over to complain about roughing the passer calls being missed. He says, "They are hitting my QB in the head, he's gonna live but your missing calls". 

Yesterday there were 3 hits on Sam Darnold that based on what I've seen ALL YEAR should have been 15 yard penalties! 1st was a swat right on his helmet from a Texan defenders hand, clearly visible & you could see Sams head get pushed back. 2nd was a hit from Clowney which included using his helmet, a very dangerous play, and 3rd JJ Watt sacks Sam, lifts him, flips him throws him down into the turf! 

I thought the NFL was protecting QBs? Forget the fact that EVERY SINGLE ONE of these hits would bring flags raining from the heavens had that QB been the cement show Tom Brady. 

Its about time the NY Jets start taking issue with refs allowing their future franchise QB from getting killed. I know you can send clips to the league office after the fact. What they should do is edit these clips with calls Brady gets & say they want answers as to why these fouls get ignored. I'm sick of this bullsh*t. 

25 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Years ago there was a famous NFL films clip where Sam Wyche calls the referee over to complain about roughing the passer calls being missed. He says, "They are hitting my QB in the head, he's gonna live but your missing calls". 

Yesterday there were 3 hits on Sam Darnold that based on what I've seen ALL YEAR should have been 15 yard penalties! 1st was a swat right on his helmet from a Texan defenders hand, clearly visible & you could see Sams head get pushed back. 2nd was a hit from Clowney which included using his helmet, a very dangerous play, and 3rd JJ Watt sacks Sam, lifts him, flips him throws him down into the turf! 

I thought the NFL was protecting QBs? Forget the fact that EVERY SINGLE ONE of these hits would bring flags raining from the heavens had that QB been the cement show Tom Brady. 

Its about time the NY Jets start taking issue with refs allowing their future franchise QB from getting killed. I know you can send clips to the league office after the fact. What they should do is edit these clips with calls Brady gets & say they want answers as to why these fouls get ignored. I'm sick of this bullsh*t. 

Totally agree. I was thinking the same thing yesterday. WhereTF's the flag. Gotta think if it were Cindy Brady there'd be plenty of yellow flying around.

Based on what I've seen of Bowles I doubt he's gonna do anything. Moron.

35 minutes ago, Jetster said:

This is why a coach that shows emotion and fights for his team is important. Bowles does not protect his players or have their backs when they get screwed during games. He is such a terrible coach on every level. It blows my mind and almost as if he’s been trolling us for years. He can’t be this bad. 

rookies don't get these calls like the vets

I dunno if it's on purpose or just tradition but it happens every year 

2 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

This is why a coach that shows emotion and fights for his team is important.  

aside from the fact refs don't respond to Coaches screaming in their face (if they did, Rex Ryan would still have a job) 

Bowles shows a ton of emotion just not in public. 

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

aside from the fact refs don't respond to Coaches screaming in their face (if they did, Rex Ryan would still have a job) 

I agree on he young QBs compared to vets but there has been some blatant screwing us over and a team responds to a coach that shows emotion. Not just with penalties. Maybe Bowles shows a lot of emotion and is great the other 6 days of the week behind closed doors. I also totally get not giving the media anything and not saying much.

But no not show emotion on game day, compounded with being a terrible coach on gameday, leads me to believe that his shortcomings are not just limited to being a poor gameday coach.

It sends a mixed message and one that players can’t believe in which is why there are always lockeroom issues and players that clearly dog it which bothers their teammates. 

9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Actually they do. Numerous times I've seen a coach give a ref grief after they blow a call and the next thing you know the refs call a bs make up call on the other team. Everyone else has seen it too. How do you know Bowles shows anything outside of the public eye?

7 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

But no not show emotion on game day, compounded with being a terrible coach on gameday, leads me to believe that his shortcomings are not just limited to being a poor gameday coach.

He's not a great gameday coach certainly but the question is why do we expect him to be? He's getting paid 28th among all HC's. 

it's like the Jets bought a used pickup truck and wonder why the back seat is so uncomfortable. there are other options like the mid-range sedan (maybe a Jeff Fisher lifer) the electric Tesla (Sean McVay) all the way up to the luxury Harbaugh/Reid models 

Bowles was known as a DB coach under Parcells and a defensive blitzer a DC, considering they have zero edge rushers and Jamal Adams has like 4 sacks this year, Bowles is doing what Bowles does. 

the offense is terrible how much of that is the OC bates, the talent level at RB/WR/TE/OL and how much is just having the league's youngest QB (still leading the league in INTs)?  

ive said it before I'll say it again nothing Bowles has done as a coach stinks worse than picking Christian Hackenberg. These roster spots being filled by Frankie Luvu's of the world, they should have been real players and that's on Mac/Idzik not the coach.

1 minute ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Actually they do. Numerous times I've seen a coach give a ref grief after they blow a call and the next thing you know the refs call a bs make up call on the other team. Everyone else has seen it too. How do you know Bowles shows anything outside of the public eye?

watch the videos in the locker rooms on twitter when they win 

15 minutes ago, bitonti said:

That’s true. See it in every sport. Just the way it is. 

3 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Maybe ref;s don't react to coaches screaming at them directly, but I think it definitely plants seed in their pea brains for sure

Absolutely! Parcells always played nicey nice, chatting with officials before the game, cracking jokes ect, but he knew everyone of the guys names, and you could here him calling them over when he thought his team was getting screwed over! Bowles just stands there like a mime! Everything about his coaching makes me hate him more every game, and yesterday he added the one with Cannon, the Texans calling TO which gave them plenty of time to challenge & he still didn't have a CLUE what's was happening! Honestly, I wish they didn't get that 1st down because it unfortunately LET HIM OFF THE HOOK! Guy is a complete moron, it just amazes me that we keep bringing in Head Coaches, the next one DUMBER & worse than the last.

He's not a great gameday coach certainly but the question is why do we expect him to be? He's getting paid 28th among all HC's. 

it's like the Jets bought a used pickup truck and wonder why the back seat is so uncomfortable. there are other options like the mid-range sedan (maybe a Jeff Fisher lifer) the electric Tesla (Sean McVay) all the way up to the luxury Harbaugh/Reid models 

Bowles was known as a DB coach under Parcells and a defensive blitzer a DC, considering they have zero edge rushers and Jamal Adams has like 4 sacks this year, Bowles is doing what Bowles does. 

the offense is terrible how much of that is the OC bates, the talent level at RB/WR/TE/OL and how much is just having the league's youngest QB (still leading the league in INTs)?  

You pay for what you get? Amiright? Haha you are hysterical with this. 

ive said it before I'll say it again nothing Bowles has done as a coach stinks worse than picking Christian Hackenberg. These roster spots being filled by Frankie Luvu's of the world, they should have been real players and that's on Mac/Idzik not the coach.

I hear ya and it’s not solely on Bowles or solely on Macc. If you can try and separate their deficiencies by things that are specifically solely on them, you see that both are the problem and ruining this team. Both have sabotaged each other but certain things are strictly on them.

Bowles makes THE WORST in game decisions that I have ever seen. That’s not due to talent. That’s on him. So is gameplanning and prepping for teams. He always gets carved up by backup QBs and rarely makes adjustments. 

Mac is terrible at drafting and personnel evaluation. He literally does everything *ss backwards and I don’t feel like explaining it AGAIN since I’ve said more than enough about why he needs to be gone. 

They are both individually horrible but yes I agree that Mac hasn’t done a ton to help Bowles. To be fair, he did “enough” if regards to helping the Bowles Defense by giving him premium draft picks and free agents.

So he has helped enough in that respect but not in total team building and has destroyed the offense that he supplied Bowles which Bowles is ultimately responsible for. 

44 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Holy Hell bit!

My first real job I was 21 years old. I was making the least amount in the whole company. I worked my ass off and did such a good job that they had no choice but to pay me. Over the next 6 years I doubled my salary every 2 years.

Are you really saying its excusable that he isn't developing or learning on the job because of what he is paid? WTF kind of logic is this man?

1 hour ago, Creepy Lurker said:

This is why a coach that shows emotion and fights for his team is important. Bowles does not protect his players or have their backs when they get screwed during games. He is such a terrible coach on every level. It blows my mind and almost as if he’s been trolling us for years. He can’t be this bad. 

Theres enough to not like about Bowles on his own.  Thinking that his lack of outward emotion on the sidelines is why a rookie doesnt get the same calls as a Brady isnt one of them.

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Theres enough to not like about Bowles on his own.  Thinking that his lack of outward emotion on the sidelines is why a rookie doesnt get the same calls as a Brady isnt one of them.

I sure think it’s one of them. Not one of his worst qualities like you suggest but it doesn’t help. He doesn’t fight for his team and maybe show that it’s not ok to just push around or screw over the Jets with so many suspect calls.

I realize there are suspect calls everywhere but it’s seems to be to an extreme with us and we need to change that and show that it won’t be tolerated. He’s allowed us to be a punching bag and players can’t feed off of his fire if he has none. 

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

To be clear, I’m not talking about getting the same calls as Brady. That would be ridiculous and as I stated, a rookie QB will not get the same calls as a long time vet that is respected. I’m referring specifically to all he bad calls in general and the fact that Bowles does NOTHING to challenge them or even speak up. 

2 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I sure think it’s one of them. Not one of his worst qualities like you suggest but it doesn’t help. He doesn’t fight for his team and maybe show that it’s not ok to just push around or screw over the Jets with so many suspect calls.

I realize there are suspect calls everywhere but it’s seems to be to an extreme with us and we need to change that and show that it won’t be tolerated. He’s allowed us to be a punching bag and players can’t feed off of his fire if he has none. 

Theres no proof, other than this is what some fans believe, that refs are influenced by yelling on the sidelines.  Coughlin screamed, hollered and yelled on every call or non call and he didnt get any extra calls.  

3 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

To be clear, I’m not talking about getting the same calls as Brady. That would be ridiculous and as I stated, a rookie QB will not get the same calls as a long time vet that is respected. I’m referring specifically to all he bad calls in general and the fact that Bowles does NOTHING to challenge them or even speak up. 

I think its not just rookies, its second level talent.  A McCown is a vet but as a journeyman isnt getting calls either.  

No matter how loud and animated the HC gets.  As someone said, Rex would still have a job if that got calls to go your way.

I get the belief and want to see him argue, at least some of the time.  Of course in a few short weeks its all moot as hes gone

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Theres no proof, other than this is what some fans believe, that refs are influenced by yelling on the sidelines.  Coughlin screamed, hollered and yelled on every call or non call and he didnt get any extra calls.  

Very possible (provable) but I can’t see it hurting and the emotion would at least show players that it’s not ok and maybe have them focus that anger on producing/raising their play a notch. I just can’t see how Bowles defending his team/players and showing fire could be worse than him not doing anything like he currently is.

Football is an emotional sport with momentum shifts and you can thrive off of a spark no matter where it comes from. His lack of fire/emotions, limits the amount of potential sparks that may give the team a much needed boost. That’s all that I’m trying to say. If it reigns in the refs a little too (not likely as you said), it’s an extra bonus. 

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I think its not just rookies, its second level talent.  A McCown is a vet but as a journeyman isnt getting calls either.  

No matter how loud and animated the HC gets.  As someone said, Rex would still have a job if that got calls to go your way.

I get the belief and want to see him argue, at least some of the time.  Of course in a few short weeks its all moot as hes gone

I totally agree. Basically proven vs. unproven. You can be an older vet but if you never proved yourself and earned respect as a good/great player, you aren’t getting those calls. 

7 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Very possible (provable) but I can’t see it hurting and the emotion would at least show players that it’s not ok and maybe have them focus that anger on producing/raising their play a notch. I just can’t see how Bowles defending his team/players and showing fire could be worse than him not doing anything like he currently is.

Football is an emotional sport with momentum shifts and you can thrive off of a spark no matter where it comes from. His lack of fire/emotions, limits the amount of potential sparks that may give the team a much needed boost. That’s all that I’m trying to say. If it reigns in the refs a little too (not likely as you said), it’s an extra bonus. 

To me its what we dont have and thats what we always want.

Herm was loved initially because of his fire.  Then we tired of it and made fun of it.

Mangini came in and we loved how he was all business, was just what this team needed.  Then that got old and tired and he had to go.

In comes Rex and the needle shift 180*.  Hes what we need, fire and bravado that will rub off on the team.  Shoot ahead and hes a boob who writes checks that he cant cash it.

Bowles first season we loved that he wasnt the loudmouth over the top Rex.  

It always spins to the opposite direction from the HC we're tired of.  But I get it

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

That’s true. See it in every sport. Just the way it is. 

Football isn't any sport, guys get hurt real bad, QBs are necessary to its success & there shouldn't be any difference to protecting the 41 year old Brady (soon to be the NFLs past) and newcomers with talent like Sam Darnold. If this is true the NFLPA should be all over it in the offseason. 

5 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Football isn't any sport, guys get hurt real bad, QBs are necessary to its success & there shouldn't be any difference to protecting the 41 year old Brady (soon to be the NFLs past) and newcomers with talent like Sam Darnold. If this is true the NFLPA should be all over it in the offseason. 

All this is true and none of it matters. 

20 minutes ago, Jetster said:

NFLPA protecting rookies?  LOL, that really is funny.  The NFLPA is all about protecting the older vets, That all it's about.

Why do you think that players can't even sit down and talk football with a position coach in the off season?  It's because the vets don't want an aggressive young guy hanging around the complex in the off season, working with the coaches 10 months a year, and coming back in the Spring and taking their jobs.  One of the major problems with developing a young QB.  They can't talk to their position coach, and have to hire a really expensive private coach out of their own pocket who may have a dozen clients all over the country.

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

NFLPA protecting rookies?  LOL, that really is funny.  The NFLPA is all about protecting the older vets, That all it's about.

Why do you think that players can't even sit down and talk football with a position coach in the off season?  It's because the vets don't want an aggressive young guy hanging around the complex in the off season, working with the coaches 10 months a year, and coming back in the Spring and taking their jobs.  One of the major problems with developing a young QB.  They can't talk to their position coach, and have to hire a really expensive private coach out of their own pocket who may have a dozen clients all over the country.

Not even vets, but guys who have relatively  long careers. Contracts are barely guaranteed.  Average career is less than 3 years, before any pension of health benefits vest. Practice squad time doesn't count. And the NFLPA under Demaurice Smith and before has made free agency their biggest concern, not long term health care nor pensions.

4 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Totally agree. I was thinking the same thing yesterday. WhereTF's the flag. Gotta think if it were Cindy Brady there'd be plenty of yellow flying around.

Based on what I've seen of Bowles I doubt he's gonna do anything. Moron.

It is better for Bowles to get his butt thrown out of a game than to allow Darnold to get hit like a pinyatta.   

Archived