For the fire MAC guys, he set us up well.

Jetfan13

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

It is not indisputable.  I am in fact disputing it.

Macc likely knew what ot would take to get Cousins.  So he offered enough to keep the fans from crying, but not enough to actually get Cousins.

You had me there for a while - I thought you were being serious at first.  

3 hours ago, Jetfan13 said:

6. NEW YORK JETS: $18.352 MILLION (2019: $107,034,376)

8596350.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Sam Darnold (Photo: Geoff Burke, USA TODAY Sports)

Total Cap: $176.1 million

Active Cap: $125.3 million

Dead Cap: $25.3 million

Adjustments: $17.3 million

And that money will need to be spent just to try to get more depth on the team due to his very poor draft record.  Good teams build though the draft, and this is one area where he has come up short.  Hack, Mauldin, Smith, Stewart, all wasted 2nd and 3rd round picks.  

34 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

I actually don't think this is true.

He spent all of last year obsessed with Darnold.  Making many trips to go see him.

I think he knew what would get the deal done with Cousins and did just enough to appear as though he was trying, without actually getting him.

Remember, much of the foolish sports media/"experts" and most of our fan base wanted Cousins.  I couldn't believe what I was seeing.  

Thankfully Macc saw through the BS and just humored the fans and media.  That's a sign of a great manager/leader.

Might even come in handy when determining what to do with Bowles.

If this were remotely true, how do you sit at 3 and risk Darnold going to the Browns or the Giants?

28 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He's retroactively pretending he was kidding.  Great way to try to save face I suppose.

Kidding?

And "save face"?

I'm not kidding.  Nor do I feel any need to "save face".

We disagree.  That's cool.  

I'm just glad Macc is our GM.

Just now, Mike135 said:

We'll never know for sure, but I'd guess Macc had at least some idea as to how the top two picks were gonna go.

So, the thesis is Macc, who’s been stunningly incompetent up until this point, knew that Kirk Cousins would not accept his 100M offer, knew he’d be able to trade up to 3, and knew he didn’t need to trade to 1, because he also knew the Browns would take Mayfield and the Giants would take Barkley?

This is more likely/logical to you than, Macc offered a record breaking deal to a guy he wanted, was turned down, and so he traded up to 3, knowing he’d be guaranteed a QB, and then, presumably his favorite, fell to him?

11 minutes ago, genot said:

I think his plan was ti sign Cousins and still draft Darnold. The bleeding at QB had to stop.

Bahahahaha it keeps getting worse.

So after signing Cousins, we'd STILL move up from 6 to 3?  And, again, Macc KNEW Darnold would be available at 3?

If we were going to get another QB after signing Cousins, we likely would have stayed at 6 and taken Josh Allen.  Or taken Minkah Fitzpatrick, lol.

2 hours ago, Jetfan13 said:

6. NEW YORK JETS: $18.352 MILLION (2019: $107,034,376)

8596350.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Sam Darnold (Photo: Geoff Burke, USA TODAY Sports)

Total Cap: $176.1 million

Active Cap: $125.3 million

Dead Cap: $25.3 million

Adjustments: $17.3 million

Set us up well? Saving cap space isnt “set us up well”. He sucks as a player/talent evaluator. His FA signings have sh!t written all over them. His last three years’ W/L record speaks for his “set us up well” work. 

13 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Oh good. Because building a team through free agency: 60% of the time, it works every time.

And with the cap increasing yet again, more teams out there are just going to be re-signing their own talent, leaving even less quality free agents on the market than usual. 

15 minutes ago, genot said:

I think his plan was ti sign Cousins and still draft Darnold. The bleeding at QB had to stop.

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So after signing Cousins, we'd STILL move up from 6 to 3?  And, again, Macc KNEW Darnold would be available at 3?

If we were going to get another QB after signing Cousins, we likely would have stayed at 6 and taken Josh Allen.  Or taken Minkah Fitzpatrick, lol.

So... You give a QB 90M guaranteed, and then you spend four draft picks, not to surround him with talent, but to find his replacement?

This is actually a thing that you believe?

9 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

So, the thesis is Macc, who’s been stunningly incompetent up until this point, knew that Kirk Cousins would not accept his 100M offer, knew he’d be able to trade up to 3, and knew he didn’t need to trade to 1, because he also knew the Browns would take Mayfield and the Giants would take Barkley?

This is more likely/logical to you than, Macc offered a record breaking deal to a guy he wanted, was turned down, and so he traded up to 3, knowing he’d be guaranteed a QB, and then, presumably his favorite, fell to him?

Lucky > good 

That same luck is probably what is saving his job for another year or too and damning us to these same conversation for same time period. 

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes. Darnold or Mayfield. Im sure he knew beforehand the Giants were drafting Barkley. Sign Cousins on a front loaded deal. Get out of it in year three. Like i said, the bleeding at QB had to stop.

13 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Yes.  Macc had been working on trading up to #3 weeks prior.

3 hours ago, Larz said:

The Jets have cap space because they have few players under contract not because of expertly negotiated deals 

It's a lousy free agent market for offense this year as well. 

Pretty poor planning 

I know that a lot of the FA that Macc brought in last year were on 1 yr. "prove it" deals. If they didn't work out , like Pryor, no long lasting cap ramifications.

Easy to have all that cap with half the roster expiring. How people still defend him is beyond me. 
Some of us remember having to trade away the best player our team had seen in decades because we couldn't afford to overpay him because of irresponsible cap usage. Some of us remember a team that made back to back championship games with the inability to retain good players due to cap space and watching us hire a cap genius to come in and untangle the web's that were made before being run out of town.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

9 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Some of us remember having to trade away the best player our team had seen in decades because we couldn't afford to overpay him because of irresponsible cap usage. Some of us remember a team that made back to back championship games with the inability to retain good players due to cap space and watching us hire a cap genius to come in and untangle the web's that were made before being run out of town.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

And we're no better off now. We don't actually have cap space, we just have no one under contract. You get cap space by not overpaying vets, and drafting well. Rookie contracts are cheap. 

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Smart man.

I’m trying to keep it in the main thread but as you can see, I’m not the only one that talks about this subject. It’s probably the hottest topic in years and getting closer to the end of he year when decisions are made so the debates will heat up. I’ve said my piece too much already.

Time for everyone else to have fun with it and really review this situation to form their opinions. Either way, I just want what’s best for this team and just letting my opinion (which I feel strongly about) be heard and so others can maybe see how I arrived at that opinion. I can’t see how anyone can support Mac but that’s just me.

The poll a few weeks back was good because it checked the pulse of the board. We should probably get 1 more going for the last week of the season and see what overall sentiment is out of curiosity. 

35 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Well there's that.. and also the fact that Mac has purposely sabotaged the 2nd and 3rd days of the draft as part of his masterful coup to undermine Bowels and force him out of town so that Mac can pick his own coach. Three dimensional chess man. chess.

42 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Set us up well? Saving cap space isnt “set us up well”. He sucks as a player/talent evaluator. His FA signings have sh!t written all over them. His last three years’ W/L record speaks for his “set us up well” work. 

Exactly.  How about a GM who sets us up well by amassing talent in the spots you need to win games, rather than cap space.  How about a GM who can find an edge rusher, CB1 (for less than $72MM), above average LT, WR1, RB1.  Instead, we have a young QB who hopefully will be real good, a stud safety, a good deep threat WR, a prmising yount TE and a bunch of jags and role players.

We have a ton fo cap space because we have not drafted or signed FAs that we want to re-sign or extend.  Ton of cap space and a ton of holes on the roster with limited playmakers is not set up well.

Archived