For the fire MAC guys, he set us up well.

Jetfan13

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Sorry, I disagree. While the roster is thin, a better coach could have easily win more than 4 games. Obviously this isn't a Super Bowl roster but better coaching might not have let a cold rookie QB step off the bench & bring his team back down 14, or let Matt Barkley waltzed into MetLife & look like Joe Montana, or hold the Dolphins to 13 points on the road & still lose, or turn a 16-0 lead in Nashville, and lose by allowing a TD drive in the last 2 minutes, or refuse to double the only offensive player the Texans have after their starting RB went down & allow him to go for 170 yards & score 2 TDs.

Todd Bowles is the worst coach I've ever watched here including Kotite. At least Kotite could spot talent & allowed an UDFA to rise to one of the best slot WRs in our history. He is bottom of the barrel bad!

No one hates Bowles more than me.  Get behind me on the line please ?

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, genot said:

I think his plan was ti sign Cousins and still draft whichever of the QBs with the highest grade dropped to him and then sit behind Cousins for 3 years. The bleeding at QB had to stop.

Fixed it a bit, actually wouldnt have been a horrible plan for a guy like Allen. But $90M guaranteed would be a lot of money to compensate for, and still doesn't excuse the total neglect of the O line. I know he drafted Shell in the 5th, but please. Shell is an adequate starter,  nothing more. Carpenter is on his way out, Mangold still hasn't been replaced,  and Beechum is just a hold the fort guy. 

WHOEVER was going to be QB, was going to be behind  a bottom tier line. That sh*t needs to get fixed ASAP. 

Oh, and Enunwa and a bunch of UDFAs at receiver wasn't going to get it done either. 

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Also keep in mind, drafting a QB was plan B. He tried, Desperately, to give a JAG QB without a playoff win, $90 million.

It’s one thing to have a young QB to build around the current talentless roster. Another entirely to give $90mm for 3 years to a QB on a team that will require 3 years to build a contending roster.

His inability to do what he wanted (his own incompetence) is the reason we have Darnold.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

that $90 million QB isn't a Jet, case u didn't notice.

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

If that’s true and he didn’t really want Cousins then playing chicken with $100 million dollars is even more stupid than trying to sign Cousins to begin with.  

except you dont know what was actually going on behind closed doors.

1 hour ago, genot said:

Yes. Darnold or Mayfield. Im sure he knew beforehand the Giants were drafting Barkley. Sign Cousins on a front loaded deal. Get out of it in year three. Like i said, the bleeding at QB had to stop.

Dont waste your time, u r making to much sense for all the message board GM's here.

Wow can’t believe the logic going on here. You honestly think we were going to basically give Cousins a blank check AND trade up for a QB? You would have to be some sort of nitwit to believe we would waste a rookie QB contract while paying Cousins like  1/5th of our cap ??‍♂️

5 hours ago, Jetfan13 said:

6. NEW YORK JETS: $18.352 MILLION (2019: $107,034,376)

8596350.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Sam Darnold (Photo: Geoff Burke, USA TODAY Sports)

Total Cap: $176.1 million

Active Cap: $125.3 million

Dead Cap: $25.3 million

Adjustments: $17.3 million

He deserves a shot with it and he will get a shot with it.

31 minutes ago, Jetfan13 said:

except you dont know what was actually going on behind closed doors.

25 minutes ago, Jetfan13 said:

AH, ok if Rich Cimini said it.....PLEASE

19 minutes ago, Jetfan13 said:

Dont waste your time, u r making to much sense for all the message board GM's here. 

Nothing he said made sense.  Literally nothing.

There's no way to make Macc look good in all of this.  Either:

1) He really wanted Kirk Cousins that badly, and made him our Plan A.  In which case he's an idiot. 

2) He didn't REALLY want Kirk Cousins, yet offered him $90 million.  In which case he's an even bigger idiot. 

Macc supporters can't have it both ways.  There's no universe where we end up with both Cousins AND Sam Darnold.  And even in that case, that would mean we just spent $90 million on a QB while forcing our QB of the future to sit for 3 years, AND also missed out on using those cap resources to actually HELP Darnold.

So in that 3rd very unlikely scenario.....Macc is still an idiot.  Scenario # 3 is actually even WORSE than scenarios 1 or 2. 

Just stop. 

1 hour ago, Thai Jet said:

I know that a lot of the FA that Macc brought in last year were on 1 yr. "prove it" deals. If they didn't work out , like Pryor, no long lasting cap ramifications.

So how do you replace them? If you look at the free agent list it's depressing 

Most of the decent players will be extended or tagged so it's not even as good as it looks and it already doesn't look good lol 

1 hour ago, Thai Jet said:

I know that a lot of the FA that Macc brought in last year were on 1 yr. "prove it" deals. If they didn't work out , like Pryor, no long lasting cap ramifications.

So how do you replace them? If you look at the free agent list it's depressing 

Most of the decent players will be extended or tagged so it's not even as good as it looks and it already doesn't look good lol 

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Would you rather it be a TE?

Yes.  I'd rather it be a Travis Kelce or Zach Ertz than Le'Veon Bell.

At least TE's don't get hurt nearly as often, and have much longer careers. 

The sole reason Bell is even hitting the open market is because Bell himself knows this to be true, and for that reason, also knows why RB is one of the 3 lowest paid positions on average.

3 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Pretty much

I’m not saying Macc is a great GM or that I’d be sad to see him go, but if he is retained, at least the moves he’s made over the last 18 months or so should give you some hope that he’s improving and setting up the team for longterm success.

what are you talking about? He's done nothing. You and him both thought Cousins was the answer.

• he failed to land a LT in FA like Wihtworth, or a notable guard like Norwell, or a notable center like Pouncey or Richburg --
  • we ended up with Long, Winters, and Clady/Beachum
  • Our offense did not move a tick really this year. In fact, it was worse when Darnold was off the field

You're empirically wrong. And @Mike135 is objectively delusional. 

3 hours ago, section314 said:

Question for you......what skills that a good GM possesses has Mac ever exhibited that would make you even think of trusting him to pick a head coach?

Nobody can answer your question, because he hasn't had an opportunity to be a GM. His title says GM, but he was actually an assistant to Todd Bowles. 

so if we sign LaVeon Bell because we are able to with all this cash, what would that say to you about Mac? 

BTW, I am not all in on Mac, but with a new coach who I believe is the main problem and tons of money, he deserves a chance. 

@Larz

What if We could yield a stud OL, and big time WR for Jamel Adams..Yes Adams is amazing, why we could get 2 very valuable O players in return for him. Would be a big lift for Sam to bring in 2 guys at 2 highly neglected positions, who are in prime now, ready to boost Sam now.. to me it would be a no brainer, but obviously FA route would be a lot more desired, but they just aren’t there..

4 hours ago, section314 said:

Question for you......what skills that a good GM possesses has Mac ever exhibited that would make you even think of trusting him to pick a head coach?

He's evaluated some experienced talent pretty well and acquired it at good prices (ex. Brandon Marshall, Henry Anderson, etc.)  He's never been given the opportunity to hire a HC.  Bowles was forced on him.  Macc's biggest issues have been evaluating talent outside Round 1 where most GMs rely pretty heavily on the college scouting department.  He whiffed on Hackenberg and several WRs, but has done something no other Jets GM has ever done, gotten starters in Round 1 for 4 consecutive years.  Yes, we can debate whether Williams was worth the #6 pick (he'd be more appreciated if he was taken at 20) and if Darron Lee should have been a 2nd/3rd rounder (he should have), but Macc hasn't whiffed on too many big decisions.

I read a story a couple months ago that Macc already had a short list of something like 3-4 HC candidates.  To me, he likely started his research in 2016-2017 after this series of 5-11 seasons started.  I think Macc is prepared to execute a new HC hire just like he was prepared to make a power move for Darnold a full month before the Draft and gauged the market extremely well.  His coast-to-coast trips evaluating Darnold a full two years before the Jets drafted him tell me that Macc is a guy who analyzes, over-analyzes, and prepares pretty well.

The Jets have a history of letting first-timers like Pete Carroll go before they find their stride.  In my opinion (and I'll continue to take the darts thrown at me around here for this) I'd give Macc more time and allow him to make his first Head Coaching hire so he can decide who will coach the QB that he himself acquired.  It becomes pretty straightforward after that....if the team is still bad then it's either because Macc hasn't acquired enough talent, Macc hired the wrong HC, or Macc's QB didn't develop.  In ANY case, it's all on Macc and the decision becomes pretty easy in a year or two.

The Jets rebooted the entire operation in 2015 and have tried to weather the storm of losing leaders like Mangold, D'Brick, David Harris, Revis, and key contributors like Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker ALL WHILE searching for a franchise QB at the same time.  It's not easy to replace all those parts.  Unlike the past few years we won't be using a 1st rounder, 2nd rounder (multiple) and 4th rounder on Quarterbacks any more.  I think Macc has solved that riddle.

Trust me, if the Patriots could fire Belichick the GM and keep Belichick the HC, they would.  Let's not muddle things.  Get rid of the Coach and let the GM truly run the ship for a year here without having a HC whispering in his ear, "Defensive lineman in 2015, LB in 2016, Safety and more Safety in 2017...."

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

what are you talking about? He's done nothing. You and him both thought Cousins was the answer.

• he failed to land a LT in FA like Wihtworth, or a notable guard like Norwell, or a notable center like Pouncey or Richburg --
  • we ended up with Long, Winters, and Clady/Beachum
  • Our offense did not move a tick really this year. In fact, it was worse when Darnold was off the field

You're empirically wrong. And @Mike135 is objectively delusional. 

Of course I wanted Cousins 

Before the trade up to #3, I thought at best we were looking at Allen/Mayfield and at worst Petty/Hackenberg for the foreseeable future.

Cousins seemed like a better alternative. Don’t see why that was such a nutty view to have.

In fact, if Darnold goes #1 or #2, then my preferred outcome still would’ve been Cousins + Nelson at #6.

This thread quickly went off the rails, as one would expect given the topic.  However, the part I found most curious is this theory that Macc's entire offseason, including the bidding for Cousins, was all built around the plan to draft Darnold.  I mean, we do all remember that Maccagnan himself was shocked that Darnold was still on the board when they picked, right?

As far as the initial topic goes, having no one on the roster worth paying any money to after 4 years is not something to celebrate.  Not to mention, the cap space is also largely due to every FA last year not named Trumaine Johnson rejecting their offers.

2 hours ago, shuler82 said:

Well there's that.. and also the fact that Mac has purposely sabotaged the 2nd and 3rd days of the draft as part of his masterful coup to undermine Bowels and force him out of town so that Mac can pick his own coach. Three dimensional chess man. chess.

This was a real struggle to determine whether the laugh or cry response was more appropriate, because it's definitely deserving of both.

Archived