If all the good HC prospects refuse jets

Jetsplayer21

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Wait, they can go into the booth?  Seriously? Jason Garret turned down many HC jobs?  Garrett was hired because hes a puppet who was happy to get a job

Puppet ? 8 yrs as HC, was hot name for yrs.. while jones had to keep pumping more $$ at him to stay as OC. Compare their record to ours past 8 years?‍♂️ Yes correct, HC want to be in a good situation, win, and have job security.. he has all 3.. I agree many HCs would love that job.. I hope there are good candidates out there who Say “ ok I can fix Mac’s weaknesses” and signs here. 

29 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

There are only 32 of these jobs in the entire world.  More often than not, they don't get passed up.

What if they go back to being a coordinator and they aren't as good? What if injuries derail their entire unit and their performance is impacted?

What if there aren't as many jobs next year?  7-8 is quite a bit. What if the ones available next year are worse?

The college coaches don't want to leave college because they have the worlds sweetest gig, are young, and get paid more than a majority of the coaches in the NFL.

The college coaches not wanting to leave is a real problem for the NFL.  The NFL has created this good ol' boys club circle of connections.  These guys have to know somebody to get a job.  Then they move up the chain, sometimes due to merit, sometimes just because they become part of the club.   

This is sad.  Pathetic really.  Many of the best coaches in the country are in college.  They know the NFL is like a private country club that won't give you  a tee-time unless a member is playing with you.

Good college coaches want no part of the NFL, and I don't blame them.

12 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Puppet ? 8 yrs as HC, was hot name for yrs.. while jones had to keep pumping more $$ at him to stay as OC. Compare their record to ours past 8 years?‍♂️ Yes correct, HC want to be in a good situation, win, and have job security.. he has all 3.. I agree many HCs would love that job.. I hope there are good candidates out there who Say “ ok I can fix Mac’s weaknesses” and signs here. 

This is a Dallas youtube fan channel.  Here are his thoughts onKris Richard as well as saying they should give him the "Jason Garret treatment" which backs up your points. 

If this vid and the comments say anything, it Seems like the Dallas Fans are all about this guy being a HC someday. 

18 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

This is a Dallas youtube fan channel.  Here are his thoughts onKris Richard as well as saying they should give him the "Jason Garret treatment" which backs up your points. 

If this vid and the comments say anything, it Seems like the Dallas Fans are all about this guy being a HC someday. 

I honestly don’t know much about the guy. Love this fans passion about him, but I’d like to see a guy a offensive mind, because mac/bowles have horribly neglected the O, and so did rex also. We need a O expert to fix the decade of neglect on that side of the ball. We know Mac can’t do it on his own..

11 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I honestly don’t know much about the guy. Love this fans passion about him, but I’d like to see a guy a offensive mind, because mac/bowles have horribly neglected the O, and so did rex also. We need a O expert to fix the decade of neglect on that side of the ball. We know Mac can’t do it on his own..

Me neither. I personally think it's a reach and would be a bit disappointed if he is the guy. We'd have to expect significant learning curves with him I'd say. 

14 hours ago, Mogglez said:

For all his flaws, there has never been any signs that the owner is unwilling to spend money.  You keep saying it, but nothing backs it up other than your opinion.

here are the facts @Mogglez

the team will be 100 mil under the cap next year, that's exhibit A in woody/chris cheapness. A team doesn't get that much cap space by being extravagant spenders. they don't get that much cap space by being repsonsible either. It's a sign of neglect. 

the roster lacked starters at several positions including Rush OLB and FS after Maye went down. A reason why Spencer Long played so long hurt is because the backups like Harrison eat ass. Underfunded roster again. 

the team is perpetually 10-15 mil under the cap. they spend to about 92-93% of the cap since 2012. Unspent cap rolls over it also goes into the owners pocket.

they used last year's rollover space to cut Mo. 9 mil not spent but hits the cap anyway. 

The cap has gone up 10 mil+ every year since the new 2013 CBA and the "splurges" on players like Fitz, Revis and 10 mil to backup McCown keep the team above the cap floor, but that's it. 

the staff is under funded they lack a QB coach during the FQB's rookie season for no apparent reason. OC Jeremy Bates was in the woods for 5 years living with Harry and the Hendersons they probably pay him in beads and blankets. DC Rodgers is like a friend of Bowles. there is no Gregg Williams or other Assistant HC on this staff who could take over if Bowles was fired mid year. Because guys like that cost money.   This staff had among the least qualifications as a group. Again, money.  

they spent nothing on Todd Bowles, he was 29th highest paid HC in the league. And people wondered why he wasn't any good. Because he wasn't supposed to be. It's like buying a Kia and wondering why it's not a BMW.  This team hasn't even spent money on a .500 lifer like Jeff Fisher let alone the young genius like Sean McVay. They hire mediocre first time HCs and fire them 4 years later, because that's cheaper than winning.  

The next guy I bet will make among the league's smallest HC salaries as well. 

Mac himself is an example of their cheapness. If they wanted a Harbaugh or other real candidate people have heard of, they would have had to buy out the GM as well as the HC. instead the new HC will have to work with Mac whether he wants to or not. 

is that enough? I could go on all day and i didn't even mention PSLs.

we the fans are also complicit in this because we interpret negative moves like cutting Mo or firing Bowles as steps forward. Sometimes a guy like Santonio is a cancer and they do get better by removing these guys but not every guy who leaves is a cancer.

We are easy marks. It doesn't take much to keep the Jets fanbase showing up just hire a pasty and make a big show of firing him. We don't expect competence or winning we expect high draft picks and heads on a platter.

the next guy will probably be a sandusky we can hate him from day 1 and get the fire campaigns started early 

it's cheaper to keep the lights on and make a show of it than actually trying to win 

and by the way winning games doesn't make this team any more money. They are 30th in power ranking and 8th in franchise value. 

22 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the team will be 100 mil under the cap next year, that's exhibit A in woody/chris cheapness. A team doesn't get that much cap space by being extravagant spenders. they don't get that much cap space by being repsonsible either. It's a sign of neglect. 

the roster lacked starters at several positions including Rush OLB and FS after Maye went down. A reason why Spencer Long played so long hurt is because the backups like Harrison eat ass. Underfunded roster again. 

the team is perpetually 10-15 mil under the cap. they spend to about 92-93% of the cap since 2012. Unspent cap rolls over it also goes into the owners pocket.

they used last year's rollover space to cut Mo. 9 mil not spent but hits the cap anyway. 

The cap has gone up 10 mil+ every year since the new 2013 CBA and the "splurges" on players like Fitz, Revis and 10 mil to backup McCown keep the team above the cap floor, but that's it. 

the staff is under funded they lack a QB coach during the FQB's rookie season for no apparent reason. OC Jeremy Bates was in the woods for 5 years living with Harry and the Hendersons they probably pay him in beads and blankets. DC Rodgers is like a friend of Bowles. there is no Gregg Williams or other Assistant HC on this staff who could take over if Bowles was fired mid year. Because guys like that cost money.   This staff had among the least qualifications as a group. Again, money.  

they spent nothing on Todd Bowles, he was 29th highest paid HC in the league. And people wondered why he wasn't any good. Because he wasn't supposed to be. It's like buying a Kia and wondering why it's not a BMW.  This team hasn't even spent money on a .500 lifer like Jeff Fisher let alone the young genius like Sean McVay. They hire mediocre first time HCs and fire them 4 years later, because that's cheaper than winning.  

Mac himself is an example of their cheapness. If they wanted a Harbaugh or other real candidate people have heard of, they would have had to buy out the GM as well as the HC. instead the new HC will have to work with Mac whether he wants to or not. 

we the fans are also complicit in this because we interpret negative moves like cutting Mo or firing Bowles as steps forward. Sometimes a guy like Santonio is a cancer and they do get better by removing these guys but not every guy who leaves is a cancer.

We are easy marks. It doesn't take much to keep the Jets fanbase showing up just hire a pasty and make a big show of firing him. We don't expect competence or winning we expect high draft picks and heads on a platter.

the next guy will probably be a sandusky we can hate him from day 1 and get the fire campaigns started early 

it's cheaper to keep the lights on and make a show of it than actually trying to win 

and by the way winning games doesn't make this team any more money. They are 30th in power ranking and 8th in franchise value. 

Yep, if there's anything Woody was known for it was being cheap. ?

Jet fans are the worst

Look i think this is jumping the gun a bit don't you? I mean the job has been open 3 days and 1 college coach said no to an interview. Seriously he was not in my top 4 mostly because I want someone with a HC experience in the NFL, two he would collapse under the media here and we dont need that either

My preference in Mcarthy /Shannahan, I would love for the Steelers old HC Cowher to come in he lives in Manhattan and considers himself a NYer and his wife is a Jet fan

16 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol so you admit no gm who’s HC was fired, has a worse record then Mac past 3 seasons, check. All I said was if the top candidates are refusing to come here because of mac on the hot seat, And other reason like poor drafting, FA signings, why not cut ties with him now and secure darnold best possible candidate. I know you are in fantasy land and assuming these HC candidate aren’t even considering mac when deciding wether to sign here. I do hope your blind faith is correct though ?

no mac lover here but it's all too easy for gm's to blame the whole "crapshoot" nature of the draft or even the inability to bring in free agents because of the team's record, or geographical region, or  media pressure etc.  and this is why the jets don't have lots of talent.  but if johnson is to be believed, the hc will answer only to him so whether mac is on thin ice or not should have little bearing on a guy coming to the jets.  and i'm not so sure it's fair to put the performance of the team mainly on the gm.  sure he's the guy who brings in the players but imo the day to day performance of the team is on the hc.

i think one issue that hasn't been discussed is just how much a coach like mccarthy will want.  bowles was making 4 million.  i can't see mccarthy being signed for anything less than 6-8 million.

6 minutes ago, rangerous said:

no mac lover here but it's all too easy for gm's to blame the whole "crapshoot" nature of the draft or even the inability to bring in free agents because of the team's record, or geographical region, or  media pressure etc.  and this is why the jets don't have lots of talent.  but if johnson is to be believed, the hc will answer only to him so whether mac is on thin ice or not should have little bearing on a guy coming to the jets.  and i'm not so sure it's fair to put the performance of the team mainly on the gm.  sure he's the guy who brings in the players but imo the day to day performance of the team is on the hc.

i think one issue that hasn't been discussed is just how much a coach like mccarthy will want.  bowles was making 4 million.  i can't see mccarthy being signed for anything less than 6-8 million.

We can’t expect a HC to be a miracle worker and turn a bunch of jags on O into pro bowlers. That is the gms job. He signed bad contracts, drafted pretty bad, ignored OL issues for yrs. just pumped the big FA $$ and premium draft picks into the 26 ranked D.. this is an offensive league, and other than qb mac has almost completely ignored the offense for 4 years. Has any other gm not drafted a OL before the 6th round in 4 years ? Especially on a team that did not have a great OL when he came on board. Certainly didn’t put any big $$ into top OL Free agents either..

15 hours ago, Mogglez said:

For all his flaws, there has never been any signs that the owner is unwilling to spend money.  You keep saying it, but nothing backs it up other than your opinion.

Yes; people look at some past experiences and superficial 'evidence', then someone says something, everyone agrees, and then it somehow becomes fact.

Like Mac won't draft O in the first round; he won't trade up for a QB, etc. Now we are stuck with the Mac doesn't believe in drafting OL in the first (maybe that one goes this year, maybe not). Actually, what he said was that sometimes you can find gems in lower rounds (after drafting Shell) - not that same thing is what we say here.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

so, he is cheap because we have 100 million in cap - have you thought that with the 3 year plan and not knowing that they would have Darnold drop in their laps they wanted to save the money to either a) buy a QB (tried to get Cousins - couldn't even have tried if there wasn't enough cap), b) wanted to see what the needed to get to fill the gaps in 2018, and finally, couldn't find enough value in the FAs to spend it all last year?

Bates. That was Bowles call. Bowles picked him because Morton wouldn't run the ball more. I doubt it was because he was cheap. More like Bowles wanted a guy he could bully and no real OC wanted to come here with Bowles on his death march as HC.

Splurged on Revis, Fitz, etc. This goes against your point that he is cheap. You didn't like the choices - fine; the partial rebuild didn't work. McCown didn't start much (of course he was signed after loosing out on Cousins and before the draft trade, but..). But claiming the splurged on the wrong FAs flies against your complaint that the owners are cheap.

My guess is that you will see much of that cap disappear this year on internal guys; unfortunately, the FA market isn't normally stocked with quality long term players, but they all want mega-long term deals.

15 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

so, he is cheap because we have 100 million in cap - have you thought that with the 3 year plan and not knowing that they would have Darnold drop in their laps they wanted to save the money to either a) buy a QB (tried to get Cousins - couldn't even have tried if there wasn't enough cap), b) wanted to see what the needed to get to fill the gaps in 2018, and finally, couldn't find enough value in the FAs to spend it all last year?

Bates. That was Bowles call. Bowles picked him because Morton wouldn't run the ball more. I doubt it was because he was cheap. More like Bowles wanted a guy he could bully and no real OC wanted to come here with Bowles on his death march as HC.

Splurged on Revis, Fitz, etc. This goes against your point that he is cheap. You didn't like the choices - fine; the partial rebuild didn't work. McCown didn't start much (of course he was signed after loosing out on Cousins and before the draft trade, but..). But claiming the splurged on the wrong FAs flies against your complaint that the owners are cheap.

My guess is that you will see much of that cap disappear this year on internal guys; unfortunately, the FA market isn't normally stocked with quality long term players, but they all want mega-long term deals.

all the years we spent big fans complained we weren't doing it the right way and had to stop trying to be the redskins(although we actually had success doing it numerous times) then we start this total rebuild trying to find a franchise QB and start the rebuild through the draft where all the reports were the Jets wouldn't spend big in FA until year 3 after they got their QB.  Now we have the QB and cap space along w/ top picks in each rd we have picks and fans are still complaining.  I am convinced that when Darnold is hoisting his first Lombardi for us the fans will complain we didn't win by enough.

19 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

We can’t expect a HC to be a miracle worker and turn a bunch of jags on O into pro bowlers. That is the gms job. He signed bad contracts, drafted pretty bad, ignored OL issues for yrs. just pumped the big FA $$ and premium draft picks into the 26 ranked D.. this is an offensive league, and other than qb mac has almost completely ignored the offense for 4 years. Has any other gm not drafted a OL before the 6th round in 4 years ? Especially on a team that did not have a great OL when he came on board. Certainly didn’t put any big $$ into top OL Free agents either..

Parcells basically took the same roster from ‘96 and went 9-7

As much as Macc sucks if he plays his cards right and drafts Allen and signs the right free agents to upgrade the OL and secondary a decent coach has us 9-7 or better next season

21 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Yep, if there's anything Woody was known for it was being cheap. ?

Jet fans are the worst

the smartest thing woody ever did was buy the team 

he tried for a few years, realized it didn't matter whether he tried or not and checked out

he's literally in another country and couldn't give a damn. The last football game this man watched had the word Manchester in it.

the team hasn't tried for almost a decade. it's been 8 years since the last playoff appearance. 

If Jets fans are the worst it's because the Jets made us this way 

you are the one mentioning hoisting Lombardi trophies 

how about they to hoist their pants up as an organization and stop being an embarrassment first. 

34 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

As much as Macc sucks if he plays his cards right and drafts Allen and signs the right free agents to upgrade the OL and secondary a decent coach has us 9-7 or better next season

this roster is currently terrible. 

They only need to upgrade RB1, WR1, TE2, TE3, LT, LG, C, RG and RT on offense you guys 

then draft an OLB top 5, sign a CB2 a CB3, get a developmental DL to replace McClendon and they should be good. 

by the way Andre Roberts is like 31 he's not going to be a pro bowler next year so add KR/PR to the list 

On 12/31/2018 at 7:09 PM, Jet Nut said:

Again name one of the 8 teams looking for a HC who fired the GM.  AZs GM impresses who?  Cincy?  Miami?  GB?  What has Elway done?  Let the roster get old and weaker while he will never get blamed?  Very desirable spot.  Guess what, every team that fired their HC, fired them because the team didnt play well.  Every bad team can be traced back to the GM not getting it done and all are still collecting checks.  But in Jetfandom we're the poor team that no one wants to come to.  

Heres another thing youre not considering.  These types who are HC material, they think they can win anywhere with anyone.  No one is saying Bowles lost because of Macc, Im not going there.  ESPN and NFLN were both calling the Jets a great gig.  Sorry if that doesnt fit the story

Hey look Mike Maccagnan’s RESULTS can be quantified, and do you know what they tell anyone who reads them?

Mike Maccagnan is the WORST GM in NY JET HISTORY given a logical minimum for draft selections and timeframe in the position.

This is NOT my opinion.  This is data screaming to anyone that looks at it to fire this clown yesterday.

But the owners won’t, for some reason, maybe because again win or lose the team they own appreciates in value astronomically regardless, and the owners little brother doesn’t want to look incompetent himself for firing 2 total incompetents he gave extensions to barely 1 year ago, better to only fire 1.

Sam Darnold will deserve to make the Hall of Fame while playing if he can survive and flourish with the next round of garbage 3rd Rate coaches that are about to be foisted on him and just a total scared idiot masquerading as a GM who will put a team around him before finally being fired 2 years from now, along with the latest “coach”.  

Will be 6 years of totally busted draft picks and virtually no talent or game changers on the roster.  Mike Maccagnan is truly a magician.  Able to stay employed for that length of time while being as bad at his job as anyone in America is at theirs, but everyone else doesn’t get to stay.

2 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Hey look Mike Maccagnan’s RESULTS can be quantified, and do you know what they tell anyone who reads them?

Mike Maccagnan is the WORST GM in NY JET HISTORY given a logical minimum for draft selections and timeframe in the position.

This is NOT my opinion.  This is data screaming to anyone that looks at it to fire this clown yesterday.

But the owners won’t, for some reason, maybe because again win or lose the team they own appreciates in value astronomically regardless, and the owners little brother doesn’t want to look incompetent himself for firing 2 total incompetents he gave extensions to barely 1 year ago, better to only fire 1.

Sam Darnold will deserve to make the Hall of Fame while playing if he can survive and flourish with the next round of garbage 3rd Rate coaches that are about to be foisted on him and just a total scared idiot masquerading as a GM who will put a team around him before finally being fired 2 years from now, along with the latest “coach”.  

Will be 6 years of totally busted draft picks and virtually no talent or game changers on the roster.  Mike Maccagnan is truly a magician.  Able to stay employed for that length of time while being as bad at his job as anyone in America is at theirs, but everyone else doesn’t get to stay.

If your argument it's that Mac is the worst GM in Jets history, you have no idea about Jet history.  

That fans think teams like the dolphins, cards, broncos, etc have been better don't know what they're talking about 

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Parcells basically took the same roster from ‘96 and went 9-7

I agree, if he gives up his 100% bpa all day routine, which obviously brings you non pass rushing defenders, instead of he more valuable O players. If admits his little “ I can find gems in OL in Rounds 6/7, no need to draft them higher” and stop nickel and diming with the O, especially OL.. he chased away Dbrick to try to save a few bucks, and came up with Ryan clady, he only signs the b/c tier OL,,because he refuses to accept how valuable the position has become, not that it really ever was not highly valuable, but this idiot seems to not grasp that. 

I do think a O guru HC will school him, and press him for a upgraded OL, and the need for play makers. that is why getting a good O HC is so important..

Archived