With third pick, Jets select ... a player in CFP title game?

Gas2No99

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Nelson was the best guard for 3 decades and even he didn't go top 5 

And he should have. What's your point? If you can't trade down, take the guy who's gonna help protect your franchise QB.  Not a f'n defensive tackle. 

The Jets can’t even field a full DLINE next year based on current contracts. Also Leo having 1 year left and if they don’t resign him….  DL is unfortunately again a huge need 

What to do about Henry Anderson also??

53 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Picking Jonah Williams at #3 would be a mistake. Trade down. And then trade down again if possible. There will be good offensive tackles available late first, early second rounds.

No there won’t. Greg Little isn’t half the player that Jonah is and he is the only 1st rd graded Tackle. 

Passing on Jonah would be stupid. If he gives me 10 years old great play at #3 then I don’t care if he was projected to be #10 by some draft analyst or not.

1 minute ago, MDL_JET said:

And he should have. What's your point? If you can't trade down, take the guy who's gonna help protect your franchise QB.  Not a f'n defensive tackle. 

Not everyone is sold on Jonah as u apparently are. I wouldn’t draft him At 3 .

52 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I posted about this the other day in the Jonah Williams thread in the Draft Forum.  Is there anyway to get an iso on the Jonah Williams vs. Clelin Ferrell matchup?

Do what I do, just focus on that match up as soon as the ball is snapped. If you can't just wait for the game to be replayed on SEC or you tubes and do it then. I did that with KU's Josh Allen during the bowl game and came away slightly underwhelmed.

27 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Passing on Jonah would be stupid. If he gives me 10 years old great play at #3 then I don’t care if he was projected to be #10 by some draft analyst or not

While I totally agree with your logic, I don’t necessarily think that Jonah is this “top 10” player. Not yet. He may prove to be more of a #25-35 type player - in which case no effing way is he getting picked at 3 if I’m making the pick. 

6 minutes ago, Paradis said:

While I totally agree with your logic, I don’t necessarily think that Jonah is this “top 10” player. Not yet. He may prove to be more of a #25-35 type player - in which case no effing way is he getting picked at 3 if I’m making the pick. 

I haven’t seen him graded that low at all. 

21 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Do what I do, just focus on that match up as soon as the ball is snapped. If you can't just wait for the game to be replayed on SEC or you tubes and do it then. I did that with KU's Josh Allen during the bowl game and came away slightly underwhelmed.

I'm definitely going to record the game and will probably re-watch all of the Alabama offensive plays to see this matchup.  Tua is also a bit of an X-factor (maybe more than a bit!) as his mobility reminds me of Russell Wilson and I think he can make an OLine look a little better than it is.  The same could actually be said of Sam Darnold.

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I haven’t seen him graded that low at all. 

Really? I’ve rarely seen him graded in top 10. He’s auto-slotted there often as...well need someone on offense in these mocks and boards... opinions on him vary. A lot.  

Returns on these top 10 SEC and ACC tackles have been poor in the last decade. Hope we’re doing our homework 

15 minutes ago, Paradis said:

obviously the decision needs to be made after the scouting.  but if there is an OL prospect who is a borderline top 10 guy he should be given consideration, as should trade back scenarios into the 4-8 range.  there is no point in trading so much draft capital last year to get a qb like darnold and then not draft OL in the first two rounds this year, and rely on an early 3rd round pick to maybe, maybe find a decent OL.  

with all these alleged stud DLs coming out, teams are going to need OL to protect their franchise qbs.  

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

obviously the decision needs to be made after the scouting.  but if there is an OL prospect who is a borderline top 10 guy he should be given consideration, as should trade back scenarios into the 4-8 range.  there is no point in trading so much draft capital last year to get a qb like darnold and then not draft OL in the first two rounds this year, and rely on an early 3rd round pick to maybe, maybe find a decent OL.  

with all these alleged stud DLs coming out, teams are going to need OL to protect their franchise qbs.  

Yes there is still lots to do on these kids. Work outs. Prodays. Senior bowls combines etc etc. But if there’s ANY doubt, then we need open up net. I would consider Metcalf over Williams if we’re taking a leap of faith. 

This game will tell a lot about Jonah Williams.  He is facing one of the top edge rushers in the country tonight.   If he one on one stone walls Ferrell, I'd think he's worth #3.  If he gives up a couple of sacks, or needs help to contain Ferrell, not so much

39 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

IDK, 2 sacks, and a blocked kick, not to shabby.  I will say I wasn't overly impressed with his hustle away from the ball 

59 minutes ago, Vader said:

The Jets can’t even field a full DLINE next year based on current contracts. Also Leo having 1 year left and if they don’t resign him….  DL is unfortunately again a huge need 

IF the Jets STAY in a 3-4 then they should just TRADE Leo b/c he's not worth the salary for the production in the current system. IF we switch to a 4-3, Leo would be a BEAST (Darron Lee would also be more useful as an OLB like Denver's DJ Williams back in the day) and MAY produce serious interior pressure blasting through the gap compared to his mediocre production in the 3-4

59 minutes ago, Vader said:

What to do about Henry Anderson also??

If we stay in the 3-4, EXTEND him long term and SHIP Leo who doesn't excel in the 3-4. 

IF we DO switch to a 4-3, then you let Anderson walk because he's too slow for a 4-3 and is WHY Indy dumped him a 7th and was a STEAL for us as 3-4 DE. 

3-4: Keep Goose, trade Leo & Lee

4-3: Option Leo, assess Lee, let Anderson walk in FA

54 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

If the 3  DLmen are really that great, or if someone wants the 1st QB available, hopefully that’ll portend well toward trading back for more picks...in a deep draft for OL. 

From my observations over the years, Teams TRADE UP for QBs and DEs. DTs FALL ALL THE TIME and end up being STEALS in the latter 1/2 of the 1st round and HEISTS rounds 2-5. 

24 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Really? I’ve rarely seen him graded in top 10. He’s auto-slotted there often as...well need someone on offense in these mocks and boards... opinions on him vary. A lot.  

Returns on these top 10 SEC and ACC tackles have been poor in the last decade. Hope we’re doing our homework 

Luke Joeckel

DJ FLuker

The Auburn OT taken #2 overall

Warmack

Jake MAtthews

Cedric Ogbuehu

Humphries has been serviceable, but he was a late 1st rounder

9 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

IF the Jets STAY in a 3-4 then they should just TRADE Leo b/c he's not worth the salary for the production in the current system. IF we switch to a 4-3, Leo would be a BEAST (Darron Lee would also be more useful as an OLB like Denver's DJ Williams back in the day) and MAY produce serious interior pressure blasting through the gap compared to his mediocre production in the 3-4

If we stay in the 3-4, EXTEND him long term and SHIP Leo who doesn't excel in the 3-4. 

IF we DO switch to a 4-3, then you let Anderson walk because he's too slow for a 4-3 and is WHY Indy dumped him a 7th and was a STEAL for us as 3-4 DE. 

3-4: Keep Goose, trade Leo & Lee

4-3: Option Leo, assess Lee, let Anderson walk in FA

i prefer to switch to a 43, but it’s not essential. Lee will definitely get some interest in a trade, but i don’t think you trade him regardless of scheme. I do think we would have a hard time trading Leo for good valu — or at all; Mac also has a vested interest in not exposing to the public the fact that he has totally underperformed his draft slot.

32 minutes ago, flgreen said:

IDK, 2 sacks, and a blocked kick, not to shabby.  I will say I wasn't overly impressed with his hustle away from the ball 

That's EXACTLY what I'm talking about. F the stats. What does he do on every play? Everytime they ran to the right he just trotted along behind . If the runners had cut back to the inside there was no Allen to tackle him. His lack of hustle translated to lazy a$$ to me.

28 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

That's EXACTLY what I'm talking about. F the stats. What does he do on every play? Everytime they ran to the right he just trotted along behind . If the runners had cut back to the inside there was no Allen to tackle him. His lack of hustle translated to lazy a$$ to me.

Actually it struck me the same way, he kind of reminded me of Leo.  One of the reasons I'm so interested in Ferrell tonight.  In previous Auburn games I've watched, Ferrell has had a non-stop motor.

Still can't write Allen off, guys got a lot of talent.  I've been very in favor of drafting Allen, if Ferrell plays well against Jonah tonight, I'll probably be in the Ferrell camp.  If he gets stoned, I'll be in on Williams.  JMO

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Yes there is still lots to do on these kids. Work outs. Prodays. Senior bowls combines etc etc. But if there’s ANY doubt, then we need open up net. I would consider Metcalf over Williams if we’re taking a leap of faith. 

Im getting to that point with Metcalf.   Like you said, so much freaking time between now and the draft, but if I’m “reaching” on offense then Metcalf might have the higher ceiling here.  

55 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

I hear what your saying, but this was another bowl game that nobody cared about. Watch the tape of the Kentucky-Georgia game earlier this year and tell me if you still feel the same way.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Do we?  I think we're good with Spencer Long and Winters at G.  It's C and OT that we need desperately.

Winters is ehhhhhhhh. But I guess you're right. Center and LT would be more of a priority if it came down to it. 

1. DL Quinnen Williams, Alabama

2019 NFL DRAFT

r450923_608x342_16-9.jpg

When: April 25-27
Where: Nashville, Tennessee
How to watch: ESPN/ESPN2/ESPN App

Draft order: Picks 1-24 set »
 McShay's Mock Draft 1.0: Going 1-32 »
 Meet the 2019 quarterback class »
 Kiper & McShay: 2019 draft primer »
 Kiper's Big Board » | McShay's Top 32 »
 Tracking underclassmen declarations »
 More NFL draft coverage »

The biggest breakout player of the season, Williams went from productive backup to the most dominant player on the defensive side of the ball and a potential top-five pick. He has the No. 1 overall grade in the nation, at 96.1, including the No. 1 pass-rush and run-defense grades among interior defensive linemen.

333.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

2. OT Jonah Williams, Alabama

The best offensive tackle in the nation, Williams has earned an 89.9 overall grade this season, allowing just 10 pressures on 410 attempts. He's technically sound in the run game as well (84.5 grade ranks third), and he will likely be a top-10 pick in April.

228.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

3. DT Dexter Lawrence, Clemson

Lawrence has incredible power, and at 340 pounds, he has been one of the best run-stopping defensive linemen in the nation in his three seasons at Clemson. His ability to push the pocket and get after the quarterback is what makes him a top prospect, as he has averaged 33 pressures per season, more than his more-heralded teammate Christian Wilkins.

4. S Deionte Thompson, Alabama

Another breakout star for the Crimson Tide, Thompson has the skills to make throwing against the Alabama secondary a tough task for any offense.

5. DT Christian Wilkins, Clemson

Finishing with the nation's second-highest grade among interior defensive linemen is no small feat behind the aforementioned Williams, as Wilkins was dominant in his own right. A force against both the pass and the run, Wilkins brought down 40 total QB pressures this season on just 286 pass rushes.

87.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

6. DL Jerry Tillery, Notre Dame

Trailing only two players at the position, Tillery was a dominant force against the pass from the interior of the Notre Dame defensive line, consistently disrupting opposing offenses with an array of pass-rushing moves. In total, his 44 QB pressures rank third at the position nationally.

201.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

7. QB Kyler Murray, Oklahoma

The nation's highest-graded player on offense, Murray had one of the better seasons we've seen in terms of PFF grading. He became the third player since 2014, joining Marcus Mariota (2014) and Baker Mayfield (2017), to be the highest-graded quarterback in a given season and bring home the Heisman Trophy.

8. WR Marquise Brown, Oklahoma

With speed to burn, Brown has lived up to his moniker and more this season. "Hollywood" finished as the nation's fifth-highest-graded receiver, at 88.3, while averaging 17.6 yards per reception and a whopping 8.5 yards after the catch per reception.

9. CB Julian Love, Notre Dame

Impressive in coverage, Love allowed just 53.4 percent of passes thrown his way to be caught and broke up 12 of 72 targets this season. He wasn't afraid to step up in run defense, either, showing an uncanny ability to read and diagnose plays quickly.

Clemson defensive linemen Clelin Ferrell (99), Dexter Lawrence (90) and Austin Bryant (7) all rank as top-50 draft prospects among players in the CFP, according to Pro Football Focus. Sean Rayford/AP Photo 228.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

10. DE Clelin Ferrell, Clemson

While we've proven here at PFF that sack totals don't predict future sack totals, Ferrell's career season brought with it a career-high 11 sacks, as he consistently disrupted the offense. He brought down 49 total QB pressures on just 280 pass rushes this season, and to compare, he compiled 46 pressures on 357 pass rushes in 2017.

11. LB Te'von Coney, Notre Dame

A monster in run defense, Coney was also one of the nation's surest tacklers, missing only six of his 117 attempts this season. In coverage, he allowed just 10 receptions and brought in an interception and two pass breakups while keeping his receivers out of the end zone on his 420 coverage snaps.

12. OT Mitch Hyatt, Clemson

Long since an impressive blocker in pass protection, Hyatt allowed only 11 QB pressures on his 398 pass-blocking snaps at left tackle. He has no glaring issues with his run blocking, though he did finish with a career-low 68.8 grade in that facet.

13. CB Shyheim Carter, Alabama

The nation's highest run-defense grade belongs to Carter, as he dominated against the run, recording 19 total defensive stops along the way. He was no slouch in coverage, either, breaking up nine passes and limiting opposing quarterbacks to a 49.2 passer rating on throws into his coverage.

14. TE Irv Smith Jr., Alabama

Smith's connection with Tua Tagovailoa was evident in 2018, as he hauled in 76.0 percent of his targeted passes and led the SEC by averaging 8.7 yards after the catch per reception.

15. OT Bobby Evans, Oklahoma

Finishing the season with 14 pressures allowed, Evans saw a slight drop-off in his pass-blocking grade from 2017 but still has all the tools in his arsenal to be sound in pass protection at the next level.

16. DL Raekwon Davis, Alabama

A household name before the season began, Davis' "quiet" season is nothing of his doing, as Quinnen Williams stole the show from everyone on the Alabama defense this season. Still, Davis racked up 31 QB pressures and impressed with a 90.5 run-defense grade that ranked 15th at the position.

17. RB Damien Harris, Alabama

Seemingly built for the Alabama backfield, Harris averaged 6.1 yards per carry, which included 3.19 yards after contact per attempt. Of his 125 carries, 38 went for a first down or a touchdown, as he could continuously be counted on to pick up crucial yardage.

18. LB Christian Miller, Alabama

Miller was able to bounce around the Crimson Tide defense, recording 204 pass-rushing snaps while dropping in coverage on 58 occasions. He brought in an impressive 19 combined QB hits and sacks while he limited receivers to 41 yards on six targeted passes.

19. RB Josh Jacobs, Alabama

Jacobs was the bruiser out of the Crimson Tide backfield, forcing 28 missed tackles on just 95 attempts and gaining 388 of his 500 yards after contact.

20. S Alohi Gilman, Notre Dame

Gilman was quietly one of the top safeties in the country, recording very few of the "splash plays" that viewers are accustomed to seeing from top safeties. However, he allowed just 8.9 yards per reception and limited receivers to 47 yards after the catch on 26 targeted passes while making 76 total tackles compared to just three misses.

21. WR Miles Boykin, Notre Dame

Boykin used his big frame to consistently move the chains for the Fighting Irish this season, as 41 of his 54 total receptions went for a first down (33) or touchdown (eight).

22. LB Mack Wilson, Alabama

Wilson is likely returning for another year at Alabama, but he was dominant in his first full season entrenched at linebacker for the Crimson Tide. A multifaceted linebacker, Wilson brought in 18 pressures on 60 pass rushes, recorded 21 defensive stops and hauled in two interceptions in coverage.

Training Days: Rolling with the Tide

trainingdays.jpg

Go inside practices and closed-door meetings with coaches and players as they prepare to defend their CFP national championship. Watch on ESPN+

23. DE Isaiah Buggs, Alabama

While Buggs' 12 sacks rank him fifth among edge defenders, his 33 total pressures found him outside the top 50 within the same group. The boom-or-bust within his pass rushing will have to be sorted out at the next level, but he has shown enough to display an impressive array of moves.

24. OT Cody Ford, Oklahoma

Ford moves well in pass protection, finishing 2018 with his second consecutive season with a pass-blocking grade above 85.0 after he surrendered just six QB pressures on 414 snaps. Impressively enough, he kept Sooners quarterbacks upright, as all six pressures allowed went down as hurries.

25. TE Alize Mack, Notre Dame

Mack struggled with drops this season but proved to be tough to bring down once he hauled in the ball, gaining 161 yards after the catch and forcing two missed tackles.

26. DL Julian Okwara, Notre Dame

Consistently in the backfield, Okwara's 58 total QB pressures were the seventh-most among edge defenders. He also won an even more impressive 23.6 percent of his total pass-rushing snaps, ranking fifth in the nation.

27. LB Tre Lamar, Clemson

Lamar's best football came against the run, where he recorded a 91.6 run-defense grade and brought down a run stop on 12.6 percent of his snaps to rank 23rd of 449 qualified linebackers.

28. LB Curtis Bolton, Oklahoma

Bolton's ability to rush the passer was evident during nearly every game this season, increasing his pass-rushing snaps in each of his last five games. In total, he brought down five sacks, eight QB hits and an additional 11 hurries, and he was no slouch when he dropped back in coverage.

29. CB Saivion Smith, Alabama

Smith recorded three interceptions and five additional pass breakups, being targeted on 52 occasions in his 355 snaps in coverage. He showed impressive tackling ability as well, racking up 55 total tackles despite just three misses.

30. S Jalen Elliott, Notre Dame

Elliott made those aforementioned splash plays that Gilman might not have, as he recorded four interceptions and four additional pass breakups all together, adding up to a 47.6 passer rating when targeted.

31. OG Lester Cotton Sr., Alabama

Struggling some in pass protection, Cotton allowed 12 QB pressures up the middle of the Crimson Tide offensive line. He also failed to move defenders for the run as he has in previous seasons.

32. DL Neville Gallimore, Oklahoma

Gallimore was a sure tackler (missing just three of 41 total attempts this season), as 16 of his 24 solo tackles went down as a defensive stop for an "offensive failure" for the Sooners in 2018.

33. LB Drue Tranquill, Notre Dame

Tranquill's prowess in coverage was evident, as he consistently limited speedy slot receivers and running backs to minimal gains in his coverage, but he still missed 10 tackles this season, showing the need to improve in that regard.

Notre Dame quarterback Ian Book finished with the 13th-highest adjusted completion percentage in the nation. Gary A. Vasquez/USA TODAY Sports 87.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

34. QB Ian Book, Notre Dame

Book took over as the starting quarterback and hasn't looked back. He showed great poise and accuracy, finishing with the 13th-highest adjusted completion percentage in the country.

35. DE Austin Bryant, Clemson

A much better run defender than pass-rusher, Bryant won only 11.8 percent of his pass rushes this season but was able to bring in 10 run stops. However, all of his 2018 production pales in comparison to his 2017 season, as he regressed at the wrong time for his pro prospects.

36. LB Anfernee Jennings, Alabama

While Jennings recorded 29 QB pressures on his 263 pass-rushing snaps, seven of those came when he was unblocked, as he won only 13.3 percent of his pass-rushing snaps. His slow start this season has diminished in importance, as he has turned it on as of late, compiling 14 of his pressures in his past five games.

37. LB Kendall Joseph, Clemson

A rangy linebacker, Joseph missed 11 tackles this season but impressed as a pass-rusher, recording 23 pressures on just 86 blitzes.

38. S Denzel Johnson, Clemson

Although coverage isn't always the best "looking glass" to evaluate a safety, Johnson was stingy on the back end for the Tigers in 2018. On 14 targets as the primary coverage defender, he allowed just seven receptions for 57 yards and recorded three pass breakups.

39. RB Dexter Williams, Notre Dame

With a little boom-or-bust in his game, Williams recorded 26 runs of 10-plus yards en route to averaging 6.6 yards per carry but recorded only 14 first-down carries in addition to his 12 touchdowns.

40. WR Hunter Renfrow, Clemson

A magician from the slot, Clemson's national championship hero has continually dominated from the inside. He has hauled in 43 receptions and an impressive 76.8 percent catch rate on targets from the slot, a number that ranks in the top 20 nationally.

EDITOR'S PICKS

41. DE Khalid Kareem, Notre Dame

Kareem brought down 34 total QB pressures on 348 pass rushes, and 16 of his defensive stops came in run defense, proving his value against both the run and the pass in 2018.

42. OG Ben Powers, Oklahoma

If Powers was dominant in pass protection, he was equally as disappointing when blocking for the run this season. He allowed just six pressures on 385 pass-blocking snaps, but his 56.9 run-blocking grade was outside the top 200 of guards.

43. C Ross Pierschbacher, Alabama

Pierschbacher stumbled in run blocking this season but still impressed with his pass blocking, allowing just four pressures on 422 snaps.

44. C Sam Mustipher, Notre Dame

Logging 470 snaps in pass protection, Mustipher allowed 11 pressures from the interior of the Fighting Irish's offensive line, good enough for an impressive 76.3 pass-blocking grade.

45. OG Alex Bars, Notre Dame

Bars played only five games this season but did so in impressive fashion both for the run and in pass protection. He allowed just two pressures on 174 pass-blocking snaps, and if he had finished with enough snaps to qualify, he would've ranked 21st with a 74.1 run-blocking grade.

46. OG Dru Samia, Oklahoma

Similar to other guards on this list, Samia was strong in pass protection (just six pressures on 414 pass-blocking snaps), but he finds himself near the bottom with his run blocking (170th).

47. DT Albert Huggins, Clemson

It isn't very often that a 315-pound run-stopping force is overshadowed, but that's basically what has happened with Clemson employing the talent it does on the defensive interior. Still, while splitting time with Lawrence and Wilkins on the inside, Huggins recorded 15 total QB pressures on 143 pass rushes and an additional 15 defensive stops.

48. S Tanner Muse, Clemson

Muse was a threat to thwart the run at any moment for the Tigers in 2018, recording a run stop on 12 occasions, proving his ability to diagnose run plays quickly.

49. OG Tommy Kraemer, Notre Dame

Kraemer was at fault for 14 total QB pressures this season, allowing five QB hits and being suspect in run blocking. Still, his overall grade ranked him in the top half of all FBS guards in 2018.

50. QB Jalen Hurts, Alabama

The SEC Championship Game savior, Hurts' ability with his legs can buy time in any pocket, as he has recorded 1,313 yards on designed carries in his career at Alabama. He has forced 76 missed tackles as a runner while being more than competent as a passer.

Archived