With third pick, Jets select ... a player in CFP title game?

Gas2No99

With third pick, Jets select ... a player in CFP title game?

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2018%2F1221%2Fr480269_1296x729_16%2D9.jpg&w=920&h=518&scale=crop&cquality=80&location=origin Alabama defensive tackle Quinnen Williams is the No. 2 overall draft prospect, according to both Mel Kiper and Todd McShay. Brett Davis/USA TODAY Sports

The New York Jets' hierarchy won't make the trek to Santa Clara, California, for the College Football Playoff championship game -- the team is kind of tied up with a coaching search -- but their top talent-evaluators probably will catch the game on TV. They most certainly will study the tape at some point before the draft.

The Jets are picking third and there's a decent chance that player will be playing Monday night, along with a bunch of other potential first-rounders in 2019, 2020 and 2021. The most likely candidates for the Jets are Alabama's Quinnen Williamsand Clemson's Clelin Ferrell, two of the top defensive linemen in what is projected as a vintage year for the position.

"You know how excited we were last year by the quarterback class? Well, multiply that by 10 with the defensive linemen that could go in the first round," said New York-based draft analyst Tony Pauline, publisher of draftanalyst.com. "This will be an historic class."

The Jets know all about first-round defensive linemen. They picked Leonard Williams in 2015, Sheldon Richardson in 2013, Quinton Coples in 2012 and Muhammad Wilkerson in 2011. Remarkably, the only one left is Williams, who is entering the final year of his contract. In fact, the only regular contributors under contract for 2019 are Williams, Nathan Shepherd and Mike Pennel. Henry Anderson and Steve McLendon will be unrestricted free agents. Folorunso Fatukasi, inactive for 15 games as a rookie, is a total wild card.

So, yes, the Jets have a need at the position. That, coupled with general manager Mike Maccagnan's best-player-available philosophy, makes it likely the Jets will wind up drafting a defensive lineman.

If you're watching the game, keep your eye on Williams in the middle of the Crimson Tide defense. Listed at 6-foot-4, 295 pounds, Williams has ideal size for an interior player. The Jets need an edge player more than another wide body, but Williams might be too good to pass up. Pauline said Williams is the first- or second-best player in the draft, and he has him going first overall to the Arizona Cardinals in his most recent mock draft.

"The thing about Williams is that he could be dominant in any style of defense," said Pauline, who called him a three-down player.

The Jets don't have a style because they don't have a coach, but Williams has the skill set to be a tackle in a 4-3 or an end in a 3-4. What scouts like about him (aside from eight sacks and 18 tackles for loss) is that he's an ascending talent. He was a part-time player in 2017, but has improved significantly. Imagine the Jets with a Williams-Williams defensive line; Quinnen's presence would mean fewer double-team blocks for Leonard.

Ferrell (6-foot-4, 265) is attractive because he, too, has scheme versatility. He's a 4-3 end for the Tigers, but there are times when he stands up and rushes from a two-point stance. He's generally regarded as the second-best edge rusher in the draft, behind Ohio State's Nick Bosa. It wouldn't shock anyone if Bosa, Williams and Ferrell are the first three picks.

"[Ferrell] is probably the closest thing the Jets could get to a John Abraham-type of player," said Pauline, mentioning the team's last true edge rusher.

Ferrell (10.5 sacks, 17.5 tackles-for-loss) plays on the most talented defensive line in the nation, so you always have to wonder how much of his production is because of the players around him. It's the scouts' job to figure that out, but the early consensus is that he has the goods to be a top-five pick.

Another potential top-10 pick in the game is Alabama left tackle Jonah Williams, but there's a wide range of opinions on him. ESPN's Todd McShay rates him as the No. 12 prospect, while Pauline projects him in the bottom third of the first round. Some evaluators think he might be shorter than his listed height (6-foot-5), and there's some question about his overall athleticism. On the positive side, he's a technically sound player who hasn't allowed a sack in 14 games.

The Jets have a solid left tackle in Kelvin Beachum, who is due to make a non-guaranteed $8 million, but they could always look to upgrade if they find a franchise left tackle who could protect Sam Darnold's blindside for the next decade. Scouts will learn a lot about Williams because he will be matched against Ferrell. There will be terrific, future-NFL matchups all over the field. Other potential first-rounders playing Monday are Clemson defensive tackle Christian Wilkins and Alabama safety Deionte Thompson.

"This game," Pauline said, "is a scout's dream."

Just now, BroadwayRay said:

Picking Jonah Williams at #3 would be a mistake. Trade down. And then trade down again if possible. There will be good offensive tackles available late first, early second rounds.

That's if they can trade down. And if they can't they need to pull the trigger on OL. 

2 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

It's hard to make definitive draft predictions before Free Agency.  If Macc gets a guy like Paradis + 1 other starting OL in here it changes the draft calculus.  Same with DL...

This!

If the Jets get one (or two) of the FA edge rushers and sign a guy like Paradis to play Center then that would give us more flexibility but also point us directly at Jonah Williams as a pick.

29 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Unless this Alabama dude spits out Aaron Donald like measurables there’s no way on earth you can go DLine at 3.

I agree with you. But do we feel this way bc of Mo, Richardson and Leo? If so, we are being silly. 

I’d like to think I just want an OLB for 3-4 OR a 4-3 DE edge rusher. 

With our luck we will finally skip the interior DLman who will become Donald-lite and we will draft Gholton-lite (although I don’t think it’s possible there is a lite version of that turd)

13 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Picking Jonah Williams at #3 would be a mistake. Trade down. And then trade down again if possible. There will be good offensive tackles available late first, early second rounds.

Lol u mean u don’t wanna draft. A Short OT who many scouts think is gonna end up at guard?

Right! If this article is correct abd people are excited about this historic d line class, there should be people willing to go get their Ted Washington. I’d love a trade back abd. Big fat OL pick in the first!!

This article sounds just like the way they talked about Leo too. Enough already!!!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, Gas2No99 said:

So do you pass on Warren Sapp for Kyle Brady? I STILL get a knot in my stomach recalling that Saturday afternoon in 1995. :angry:

I certainly recall the Jets fans reaction at the Kyle Brady announcement. lol

23 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Agreed  I think JW will be still be there if we traded down a few spots. That would be ideal, Draft JW and wind up with an extra 2nd and 3rd.

I doubt the 1.3 Jets pick is in this game. 

they won't be able to trade down

Q Williams is worth the pick but very easily could be gone. 

J Williams and C Ferrell likely not worth the pick 

the Bama WRs next year for Darnold maybe 

Archived