All this talk of needing a pass rusher...

The12th Man

3 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

You make a good argument. I'd be fine with using this draft to completely restock the oline (provided the players are worth where we take them). But I would still want to see something on the Edge added in free agency. 

Okay so trade the 3 pick to the Giants for the 6 pick and Olivier Vernon and then draft Jonah

49 minutes ago, cant wait said:

tyreek hill and michael thomas are absolutely bonafide #1 WR’s

They are but KC also has Kelce and a dominant running game. The Saints have Kamara & Ingram. It's all about balance on offense. The only team that had comparable weapons on offense that failed this year was Pitt. Yes, SD has a ton of weapons on offense too but I still believe Rivers is their Achilles heel.

11 minutes ago, Larz said:

That and corners

Gilmore and mccourty are the best combo in the NFL

They are good, also perhaps the most skillful at holding and pi and there is zero question the pats get favourable treatment 9 games out of 10.  the last game vs the Jets Gilmore literally could have been called for half a dozen penalties and he got none.

2 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

They are but KC also has Kelce and a dominant running game. The Saints have Kamara & Ingram. It's all about balance on offense. The only team that has comparable weapons on offense that failed this year was Pitt. Yes, SD has a ton of weapons on offense too but I still believe Rivers is their Achilles heel.

well on the other hand there are a few teams right now with comparable weapons on offense (vikings, giants) but they weren’t consistent because of bad OL

28 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Trent Brown should be a free agent target. He’s absolutely monsterous, with great feet, and with him we could potentially slide Beachum to RT or either OG spot. 

If Gase’s offense is a power blocking scheme, and looking at his MIA roster, I believe it is, we could re-sign Carpenter, because he excels in that scheme, and get another big fatty like Glowinski to replace Winters.  Draft a center in the 3rd round, and we’re set. 

Point is, we don’t need to draft OL with our first three picks to improve our roster. 

Von Miller called Trent Brown the best OT he’s faced in the nfl.  Sign him and start him at RT next year then he takes over LT in 2020 after Beachum leaves as a FA

8 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

They are but KC also has Kelce and a dominant running game. The Saints have Kamara & Ingram. It's all about balance on offense. The only team that had comparable weapons on offense that failed this year was Pitt. Yes, SD has a ton of weapons on offense too but I still believe Rivers is their Achilles heel.

Rivers?

10 minutes ago, cant wait said:

well on the other hand there are a few teams right now with comparable weapons on offense (vikings, giants) but they weren’t consistent because of bad OL

Agree. Teams don't have great running games and QBs throwing for a ton of yards & TDs  without a solid line. Balance

I agree with the premise of the post if not the "facts".  The Bears lost because they missed a field goal. As I recall they had a pretty good pass rush in that game and Foles didn't exactly have a  day  at the beach.  In the Chiefs game you can take the opposite take and say they had such a large lead due in part to the fact that Luck was under siege all day, from the strong pass rush, and as a result KC had more possessions, better field  position and more scoring opportunities.  The Patriots game was a massacre.  Regardless, the Patriots' pass rush was in Rivers jersey the whole game making it impossible to expose their weak secondary, resulting in no first downs, Patriots possessions and scores. The presence of one ELITE pass rusher can change  the complexion/effectiveness of the whole defense and make it that much better.  Witness the upgrade in stature of the Bears defense with the addition of Khalil Mack. The Texans for years have lived off the impact of JJ Watt.  Yes there are other contributors but the one elite player helps raise the entire defense.  The Jets need that Elite Rusher.  That being said, I agree the rebuild of the Offensive line is the most important task the Jets have this off-season.  Gaps in pass rush and holes in defense can be masked through blitz packages and schemes.  Not so on the Offensive Line.  Here the weak link will almost  always get exposed.  And we have many weak links  on our line.  Thanks Macc.  This can be fixed through a combination of veteran free agents and draft picks.  But it must be fixed.  NOW. If that elite can't miss pass rusher is there at 3, take him.  My preference would be to trade back, and use that and the subsequent acquired pick/s  for Offensive Linemen that fit the slotted draft position. No reaches.  Grab a wide receiver or running back in the third round if possible and if not go free agent.  But to say that Defense or Pass Rush does not matter is just plain stupid.

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Okay so trade the 3 pick to the Giants for the 6 pick and Olivier Vernon and then draft Jonah

I am all for them trading back if they can find a partner. Doubt it's the Giants but I'm with you on where you're going. Even if it isnt for the type of value Indy got last year, I'm all for it. Indy traded back (When they could have had the stud pass rusher if they stayed put) and grabbed the best olineman and this year Luck has never looked better, they made the playoffs and have two 2nd rounders again this year. 

Not sure if Jonah is anything like the G Indy grabbed, that kid already looks like he is at the top of his position, but I agree with the premise of what they did. 

2 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

I agree with the premise of the post if not the "facts".  The Bears lost because they missed a field goal. As I recall they had a pretty good pass rush in that game and Foles didn't exactly have a  day  at the beach.  In the Chiefs game you can take the opposite take and say they had such a large lead due in part to the fact that Luck was under siege all day, from the strong pass rush, and as a result KC had more possessions, better field  position and more scoring opportunities.  The Patriots game was a massacre.  Regardless, the Patriots' pass rush was in Rivers jersey the whole game making it impossible to expose their weak secondary, resulting in no first downs, Patriots possessions and scores. The presence of one ELITE pass rusher can change  the complexion/effectiveness of the whole defense and make it that much better.  Witness the upgrade in stature of the Bears defense with the addition of Khalil Mack. The Texans for years have lived off the impact of JJ Watt.  Yes there are other contributors but the one elite player helps raise the entire defense.  The Jets need that Elite Rusher.  That being said, I agree the rebuild of the Offensive line is the most important task the Jets have this off-season.  Gaps in pass rush and holes in defense can be masked through blitz packages and schemes.  Not so on the Offensive Line.  Here the weak link will almost  always get exposed.  And we have many weak links  on our line.  Thanks Macc.  This can be fixed through a combination of veteran free agents and draft picks.  But it must be fixed.  NOW. If that elite can't miss pass rusher is there at 3, take him.  My preference would be to trade back, and use that and the subsequent acquired pick/s  for Offensive Linemen that fit the slotted draft position. No reaches.  Grab a wide receiver or running back in the third round if possible and if not go free agent.  But to say that Defense or Pass Rush does not matter is just plain stupid.

So help me if we pass up on the only unique-skill edge rusher we've drafted since 2000, so we could grab a RT you can get from anywhere, I don't know what I'll do. I might even be pressed to say something unflattering about the GM. 

Just get one next year, lol. Sure the're all over the place. There are like 2-3 guys on every team all over the league capable of 15+ sacks. We'll just put $100 under our pillow and the edge rusher fairy will make one appear. Not only that but he'll have a banner year that season we need/draft him starting right away with no grooming and experience needed. 

Archived