Kareem Hunt Expected to be Reinstated in 2019

slats

This is the guy I'd go after 10 times before Bell. He'll be just 24-years-old at the start of next season. Every bit as dynamic as Bell without the weed suspensions. His market will be limited, and he should come for much less money, too. 

NFL expected to suspend Kareem Hunt but allow him to return in 2019

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 20, 2019, 7:12 AM EST
gettyimages-1060278292-e1547986343736.jp
Getty Images

Free agent running back Kareem Hunt is expected to be back on the field some time during the 2019 season.

Hunt will surely be suspended to start the 2019 season, but he is expected to learn the length of his suspension before the start of the league year, and he is likely to be allowed back during the 2019 season, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports.

The start of the league year, when free agency begins, actually isn’t particularly relevant to Hunt, who is a free agent right now. Free agency only begins in March for players whose contracts have expired, not for players who were released, as Hunt was by the Chiefs after video of him assaulting a woman surfaced.

Hunt will surely have suitors. The Bears have already said they’d consider signing him, and they won’t be the only team interested. In fact, it’s possible that Hunt will come out ahead financially, given that he was under contract for a very affordable $677,000 in 2019 under his rookie deal. Hunt is likely to get multiple free agent offers, all from teams that assure the public they’re deeply concerned about Hunt’s actions, while also acknowledging that they’re willing to pay him to help them win on Sundays.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Either way I'd be happy! Hunt is younger/cheaper, but I've said this before, it's NOT MY MONEY! We've got plenty & if I'm sitting down to watch the Jets 2019 opener in their super cool new uniforms & Le'veon Bell is lined up in the backfield & Matt Paradis is hiking the ball to just turned 22 year old Sam Darnold, I'd think I'd died & gone to heaven. 

I don't think this kid is going to be highly discounted I believe he will sign a fair contract (yes much cheaper than bell but also with a much smaller collection of nfl film) we should absolutely inquire and see what he is looking for and maybe even "overpay" to get him here but we should avoid getting into a bidding war with other teams and should avoid letting this guy try to nickle and some us for a major contract. The other thing we can not afford to do is allow more important positions to get signed while we are caught talking to a rb our major focus should be on pass rush and offensive line in free agency so that we can go into the draft with the ability to draft bpa (even if we don't actually do it or if we move down)

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

14 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Either way I'd be happy! Hunt is younger/cheaper, but I've said this before, it's NOT MY MONEY! We've got plenty & if I'm sitting down to watch the Jets 2019 opener in their super cool new uniforms & Le'veon Bell is lined up in the backfield & Matt Paradis is hiking the ball to just turned 22 year old Sam Darnold, I'd think I'd died & gone to heaven. 

The Jets have all that cap room because they've barely got half a team under contract for 2019. Bell passed on $14M because he wants more. Good for him, let someone else pay him. 

Just now, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

This is a new low, even for you guys.

Really now? 

The man's been suspended twice for weed. It's a real thing. I've got nothing against the drug -at all- but I do have a problem with players who can't get on the field due to being suspended. I certainly don't like the idea of making such a guy the highest paid RB in NFL history. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

Really now? 

The man's been suspended twice for weed. It's a real thing. I've got nothing against the drug -at all- but I do have a problem with players who can't get on the field due to being suspended. I certainly don't like the idea of making such a guy the highest paid RB in NFL history. 

i think its a reference to the fact that he assaulted a woman

1 minute ago, slats said:

Really now? 

I don’t have a problem if you want to ding Bell because he has off-field issues that could impact his on-field availability. Implying that he compares unfavorably to Hunt in this respect is disgusting.

1 hour ago, slats said:

This is the guy I'd go after 10 times before Bell. He'll be just 24-years-old at the start of next season. Every bit as dynamic as Bell without the weed suspensions. His market will be limited, and he should come for much less money, too. 

NFL expected to suspend Kareem Hunt but allow him to return in 2019

LOL @ "w/out the weed suspensions".   Like repeated domestic violence plus flat out lying through your teeth right to the faces of your Head Coach and GM in a private meeting is any better.  Yes he'll be cheaper and he's younger, but let's not pretend that this guy won't bring trouble with him.   You just know there will be another domestic violence accusation down the road and we have no idea how long his 2019 suspension will be.  It could be most of the season.  It will not be less than 6 weeks.

21 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

I don’t have a problem if you want to ding Bell because he has off-field issues that could impact his on-field availability. Implying that he compares unfavorably to Hunt in this respect is disgusting.

I consider it unlikely that Hunt will be a repeat offender. 

30 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

And you think Hunt is the only nfl player who has done that?

Only reason there isn’t video of Darron Lee beating a woman to death is Leo happened to be standing next to him

Just now, Philc1 said:

Only reason there isn’t video of Darron Lee bearing a woman to death is Leo happened to be standing next to him

i dont think that and made no indication that i might think that. it was just that slats seemed to have missed the other poster's point. 

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Only reason there isn’t video of Darron Lee beating a woman to death is Leo happened to be standing next to him

and how is that relevant to this?  

You sound like a Pats fan ".... duh.... well doesn't everyone do it?"

27 minutes ago, Dcat said:

LOL @ "w/out the weed suspensions".   Like repeated domestic violence plus flat out lying through your teeth right to the faces of your Head Coach and GM in a private meeting is any better.  Yes he'll be cheaper and he's younger, but let's not pretend that this guy won't bring trouble with him.   You just know there will be another domestic violence accusation down the road and we have no idea how long his 2019 suspension will be.  It could be most of the season.  It will not be less than 6 weeks.

I doubt it's  going to be more than 4 weeks. We have seen this before with the league. 

6 week suspension  later reduced to 4 after the NFLPA gets involved.  

There is no way of knowing if this kid assaults another person the rest of his life. He  was just knocked off a pretty high perch. He knows there are consequences.  What consequences has Bell faced for doing drugs? If I had to pick one more likely to be suspended  again, it would be Bell. 

35 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

Or more accurately that he just can't seem to stop assaulting women.  

Or stay out of trouble. 

Since college.

But hey, he ran for over 1K once

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Or more accurately that he just can't seem to stop assaulting women.  

Or stay out of trouble. 

Since college.

But hey, he ran for over 1K once

i am neither defending nor condoning or condemning  or making judgements of the actions of kareem hunt.

basically, my " i'm down" has only to do with football ability/production and the idea/question of

" whats best for NY Jets? going after Bell or Hunt?"  nothing more. nothing less.

7 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I doubt it's  going to be more than 4 weeks. We have seen this before with the league. 

6 week suspension  later reduced to 4 after the NFLPA gets involved.  

There is no way of knowing if this kid assaults another person the rest of his life. He  was just knocked off a pretty high perch. He knows there are consequences.  What consequences has Bell faced for doing drugs? If I had to pick one more likely to be suspended  again, it would be Bell. 

The Hunt suspension is coming.  Bell has no imminent suspension.  As to which one of them is more likely to be further suspended?  Doesn't this question just shout "avoid both of them"?  But at least we know there is no looming Bell suspension for 2019, whereas Hunt is getting one, probably more than 4 weeks.

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Funny thing is, comparred to Hunt he IS

Im loving all the 2 wrongs make 1 right defense 

In that light, neither is a good choice but we are basically picking two guys that could be suspended for an entire year for a repeat offense. In Bell's case he probably would retire and Hunt might get a life time ban. 

9 minutes ago, Dcat said:

the real sad idea is to wonder how much/many types of these things and also sexual misocnducts the group of men that are employees of the NFL have committed that have gone unknown...  yeesh

11 minutes ago, Dcat said:

It’s relevant because Hunt is being made out to be Aaron Hernandez on this board while Saint Leveon can do no wrong

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

The Hunt suspension is coming.  Bell has no imminent suspension.  As to which one of them is more likely to be further suspended?  Doesn't this question just shout "avoid both of them"?  But at least we know there ino looming Bell suspension for 2019, whereas Hunt is getting one, probably more than 4 weeks.

Beggars can't be choosers. I would rather bring one of them in even if its for one season than hope one of the RB's we pick in the third round plays as well as they can or pickup someone like Spencer "I tripped over my helmet and I'm out for 4 week" Ware.  

12 minutes ago, slats said:

I consider it unlikely that Hunt will be a repeat offender. 

Based on what, exactly? I think it’s sort of naive to have the default assumption be that what was caught on camera wasn’t representative. Somebody gets a DUI and you want to chalk that up as an isolated, worst day in his life kind of thing, okay. I don’t agree but I can see it. Something like this? If you do it, you’re the kind of person who does it. Until and unless.

5 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

It’s relevant because Hunt is being made out to be Aaron Hernandez on this board while Saint Leveon can do no wrong

do you have to exaggerate in every single post?  Christ...  just talk like a normal human without the constant added hyperbole, which you always add to your arguments.  Newsflash: your constant exaggerations and hyperbole are useless and unpersuasive.    No one is making Hunt out to be a serial murderer.  But he is a liar.  He lied right to the faces of his HC and GM.  And no one is making Bell out to be choir boy either.  What the hell is it wrong with you?

Frankly, I'd be fine passing on both of them. As for talent, they are both very talented.   I trust Bell's talent more due to his longer and consistent body of work.  But Hunt would be great too.  

Archived