Spencer Long to the Bills

IndianaJet

1 minute ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Let's not cry over spilt milk.  When the Jets cut Long they did so with the full intention of letting him go.  Permanently.  It was not a knee jerk reaction, based on an incident.  It was a reasoned response based on cost, past performance and future expectation.  That's fine with me.  Next.

If we cry it should be because the guy who made the "reasoned response" to cut him signed him a year ago and is the one still in charge of signing guys now.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wanted him as our backup to both guard positions and center. That is valuable. I’d be fine with letting him go if it weren’t for all the holes that we had. I would have kept him and still possibly cut him later on which would have still saved about $3mil anyways.
Sure we would have lost his $3mil roster bonus due 2/6/19 but considering our o-line situation and lack of FA options and our lack of depth, this is probably a bad move. Time will tell. 

I agree. This move confuses me other than the obvious monetary motivation. He is a solid guard and something we sorely lack. It would be fine to cut him if we stock up adequately in FA ave the draft but creating another hole right now is something I don’t like.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

41 minutes ago, jack48 said:

I am always happy to see people that did not measure up go.  It is better than seeing guys you gave no opportunity to go.

Absolutely.

Tired of the tortured Jet fan “logic” which sets the bar at the lowest of levels so often.

”Well at least Maccagnan isn’t as bad as Idzik”

”Well at least Bowles isn’t as bad as Kotite”

Both those statements are in fact debatable, but this has to end.  The team needs quality at every level...without compromise and without excuses.

12 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Cutting him made the team worse, but saved them money.  Money that can be spent to get a better player.  I question whether this team will get $14.5M in value from Williams. 

How exactly did we get worse ? Spencer long was awful .. 

3 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'm still a little surprised we let go of him considering our issues on the line. We're not really in a position to be cutting capable guys...

So am I. He's a very decent OL guy on a team that needs OL help. His only fault was breaking his fingers and that mOron Bowles keeping him in at center.

2 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

LOVE to see you snap the ball with broken fingers. Blame TODD not Long. He did fine at Guard.

Neither of us know the exact circumstances for his poor snapping and fine at guard isn't good enough. 

Todd is gone THANK GOD. 

We need to get better on the OL for us to succeed. 

7 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

So am I. He's a very decent OL guy on a team that needs OL help. His only fault was breaking his fingers and that mOron Bowles keeping him in at center.

I don’t trust him as starting center even though his blunders could have been due to injury. I FULLY trust him as a versatile backup and I’m ok with him as a starting guard in a pinch. He would have been good depth is all and we still could have cut him AFTER signing/drafting players.

Right now, there is no guarantee that we will improve our starting o-line, let alone sign good depth. We just created a few more holes since demoting Long to a backup role would have been a good thing and given us quality depth at the whole interior.

I’m not praising him as some great OL player but we just created a new hole(s) for no reason. No, $3mil isn’t enough of a reason when our o-line is a disaster and we need to protect Sam. I’d say that I have faith in our GM and coach but our GM is trash and our coach is an unknown.

Hopefully this doesn’t haunt use with poor depth all year. Not the end of the world but incredibly shortsighted like everything else that this team does. 

45 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Bowling alleys, Zero degree whether and country leading number of brake alignment shops..,who wouldn’t want to live there?

:wacko:   I assume you mean weather not whether and exactly what is a brake alignment ?

14 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I don’t trust him as starting center even though his blunders could have been due to injury. I FULLY trust him as a versatile backup and I’m ok with him as a starting guard in a pinch. He would have been good depth is all and we still could have cut him AFTER signing/drafting players.

Right now, there is no guarantee that we will improve our starting o-line, let alone sign good depth. We just created a few more holes since demoting Long to a backup role would have been a good thing and given us quality depth at the whole interior.

I’m not praising him as some great OL player but we just created a new hole(s) for no reason. No, $3mil isn’t enough of a reason when our o-line is a disaster and we need to protect Sam. I’d say that I have faith in our GM and coach but our GM is trash and our coach is an unknown.

Hopefully this doesn’t haunt use with poor depth all year. Not the end of the world but incredibly shortsighted like everything else that this team does. 

Exactly. Wasn't crazy about dumping him. Now we have to try to fine another decent FA OL man who will take what Long would have cost us. Plus we'll now have to face a pissed off Long twice every year. Buffalo has 2 center currently one (Bodine) that they signed as a FA from Cincy. They gotta figure Long is an upgrade.

41 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

How exactly did we get worse ? Spencer long was awful .. 

37 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

LOL Spencer Long stunk funny stuff anyone saying we got worse LOL 

They literally do not have a LG or C right now.  Spencer Long was better than Swanson, Johnson and Harrison, but keep giggling. 

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

They literally do not have a LG or C right now.  Spencer Long was better than Swanson, Johnson and Harrison, but keep giggling. 

He wasn’t better than Harrison and quite frankly they have a whole offseason to fill the posistion. Way to early to panic especially about a guy who single handily destroy our offense in a few games

Don't get me wrong.  I am in favor of saving the $6.5 on Long and spending it on an upgrade, but I'd consider the same with Williams, particularly if I got a halfway decent offer.  IMO Williams is a very good to excellent player, but you can get very close to the production for 1/2 the price.  See Henry Anderson - similar production for 2/3 the price..  Williams is making almost five times as much for 2019.  maybe Gregg Williams can unlock the hidden JJ Watt/Aaron Donald, but I'm not holding my breath.

3 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

He wasn’t better than Harrison and quite frankly they have a whole offseason to fill the posistion. Way to early to panic especially about a guy who single handily destroy our offense in a few games

Where is the panic?  See what I just posted.  I am fine with the move, but they should be preparing for this at other positions too.  Long's bonus just forced them to decide earlier. 

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Don't get me wrong.  I am in favor of saving the $6.5 on Long and spending it on an upgrade, but I'd consider the same with Williams, particularly if I got a halfway decent offer.  IMO Williams is a very good to excellent player, but you can get very close to the production for 1/2 the price.  See Henry Anderson - similar production for 2/3 the price..  Williams is making almost five times as much for 2019.  maybe Gregg Williams can unlock the hidden JJ Watt/Aaron Donald, but I'm not holding my breath.

He has never been a sack master . No one is unlocking danold/Watt . Because he isn’t and will never be that . If he is productive and disruptive up middle in the 3 technique role . Great you resign him and call it a day if not let him go collect your 3rd rd comp Pick .

37 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Huh? He sucked at C.  Was a little better at Guard but they will sign a better Guard

59 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

This was squarely on Bowles!!!

It is a joke that the Jets through Bowles set up Long to fail and when he did they act shocked he in fact failed.  

Maddness!!

43 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

He has never been a sack master . No one is unlocking danold/Watt . Because he isn’t and will never be that . If he is productive and disruptive up middle in the 3 technique role . Great you resign him and call it a day if not let him go collect your 3rd rd comp Pick .

1.  You want to pay $14+ for  2019?  

2. I don't know that they will be getting a comp pick.  Unless they spend VERY big in 2019, they will probably be buyers again next year.  

Archived