Jets interested in RB Tevin Coleman

LAD_Brooklyn

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

coleman is TERRIBLE and when given the chance be the guy in atlanta when  freeman  was out he sucked something awful-it would be a very jet like thing to sign him-mac is a terrible gm and cant  even get stars to come here when we are loaded with cash

sam needs weapons-we should sign bell without  question and target the  best FA wr we can  get-then in the draft build both lines

if you want your qb of the  future to suceed you give him weapons and you  protect him-the last two times we signed big name FA running backs it worked out just fine-martin and  tomlinson-Bell is a atop 5 rb and would be a great addition-coleman is a waste of time

Tevin Coleman. Seriously?

We are screwed, I mean 5-6 wins at best screwed, if we don't sign Leveon Bell.

Sooner or later people here are going to realize how bad this team's offense is, and how rarely such a bad team has the opportunity to get a player like Bell for only money.

We have to stop the "running backs are easily replaced" stuff, [mention=11582]HawkeyeJet[/mention]. Mediocre, jag type RBs are easily replaced. Not 27 year old RBs with Bell's receiving and running skills. Those are not easily replaceable. Or easy to find, as the Jets have proved quite well.

Its amazing how Jet fans love to play GM, criticize the lack of skill players we have, yet thumb their nose at the best skill player available to them.

What’s wrong with a 5-win season? As long as we draft smart (big stretch, i know) and Darnold plays well, who cares?

Much better than going 8-8 while spending QB money on a RB.

15 hours ago, New York Mick said:

He’s basically Powell. A little better but nothing special. He’d be a good signing for the right price but they’ll still need another RB. 

Where do you get this comparison from?  He' s 5 years younger, considerably faster and has outperformed Powell.  Other than that, they are identical. 

58 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

What’s wrong with a 5-win season? As long as we draft smart (big stretch, i know) and Darnold plays well, who cares?

Much better than going 8-8 while spending QB money on a RB.

You and I have discussed this before. I remember you and I talking about it, and your view is logical. Like me you want to make sure" the rebuild" is done the right way, and for the long term. Where we differ is the way we think a team should go about it.

You strongly believe a team should be built certain ways, with an emphasis on draft picks and areas like the OL. Of course this makes sense, and I agree with it, yet I see the value in also adding in "short term" big play guys like a Leveon Bell type to the mix. This endless thread mill of top 5,6 draft picks isn't getting it done, I feel. Sure I want a base of good young players, but I think we are in a position now to augment those young players with quality FAs and begin to take a step up the ladder. 

Getting 8 wins accomplishes nothing if that's a teams only goal. But I feel a team needs to prove it can get there and sustain that level before they go on to the 10-12 win range.

6 hours ago, kmnj said:

coleman is TERRIBLE and when given the chance be the guy in atlanta when  freeman  was out he sucked something awful-it would be a very jet like thing to sign him-mac is a terrible gm and cant  even get stars to come here when we are loaded with cash

sam needs weapons-we should sign bell without  question and target the  best FA wr we can  get-then in the draft build both lines

if you want your qb of the  future to suceed you give him weapons and you  protect him-the last two times we signed big name FA running backs it worked out just fine-martin and  tomlinson-Bell is a atop 5 rb and would be a great addition-coleman is a waste of time

Coleman grades out as the league's # 30 RB over the last two seasons, per FO. 

Outside of Bell, the only RB you're going to get that is better than Coleman is perhaps Jay Ajayi, who tore his ACL last year. 

There's also Mike Davis, who was the # 25 RB per PFF and # 11 per DVOA, but much like Coleman, that was in a complimentary role (and 57 less touches than Coleman got last year).

There's precious few free agent options, but I'd much rather get a young (the 3 I listed are 26 or younger) complimentary back on the cheap than break the bank on Bell.  Coleman works for me in that regard.  Hopefully we trade down and can draft a RB in round 2 or 3. 

But our spending on offense really needs to be directed towards the Offensive Line, where there are actually some good options out there (Morse, Saffold, etc.). 

And no, I don't think we can get Bell AND two quality OL.  We really don't have that much money when you consider how many roster spots we need to fill. 

17 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

I don't understand the derision for this player.  Tevin Coleman is young, explosive, and talented. He is fast and can catch the ball.  He does not fumble, nor does he have an injury history. His production has increased every year in the league. The only reason he is available is because the Falcons can't afford him, and have an acceptable replacement on a rookie contract.  They also have big money invested in Devonte Freeman.  It's a numbers game.  This is not someone else's castoff or a problem child. Viewed through an unprejudiced lens, Tevin Coleman would be a sensible, positive addition to the Jets backfield.

Bingo!!! Falcons sucked last year under Sarkesian. Nothing to do with Coleman. He would be a fine get for the Jets. I'd still like to have Bell but not for stupid money. We have too much to do and too many holes to fill.

Jets’ expected Le’Veon Bell push comes with Tevin Coleman as Plan B

By Brian Costello

March 4, 2019 | 3:50pm

With the NFL Scouting Combine over, here are some things I heard in Indianapolis about the Jets with free agency set to begin in a week. Teams can begin to speak to agents on March 11 and players can sign with teams on March 13. Here is some of the rumors going around about the Jets:

1. Most of the NFL people I spoke to believe the Jets will be aggressive in their pursuit of Steelers running back Le’Veon Bell. The Jets make sense because they have more than $100 million in salary cap space, a glaring need for a playmaker on offense and a desperate general manager in Mike Maccagnan, who needs to hit a few home runs this offseason.

That being said, the people I spoke with seemed to be deducing that the Jets would be in on Bell, not that they were told that by anyone from the Jets. Maccagnan has a reputation for keeping things close to the vest and he has done that with his plans for Bell. Another variable that people seem unsure of is just how robust a market there will be for Bell. There have been no firm reports of teams being interested in signing Bell. Again, there has been speculation that the Colts, Ravens or Texans might be interested, but nothing concrete. If there are not many suitors, the asking price may not be as high as people have expected.

A name to keep an eye on if the Jets don’t land Bell is Falcons running back Tevin Coleman. A few people told me that he could wind up with the Jets. One interesting element of that is Coleman and Bell share an agent – Adisa Bakari. It reminds me of last year when Kirk Cousins shared an agent with Josh McCown. Once the Jets were out on Cousins, they quickly pivoted to re-sign McCown. Could that happen this year with Bell and Coleman?

2. I have been of the belief that the Jets would fill their pass-rushing hole in the draft. There are a lot of strong edge rushers in this year’s draft class and with the No. 3 pick, the Jets could land a good one.

After listening to chatter in Indy, though, it sounds like the Jets may try to fill their need for an edge rusher in free agency. Most of the top edge rushers will be off the market as teams either sign them long-term or slap the franchise tag on them. Some names to keep an eye on with the Jets are: Dante Fowler of the Rams, Trey Flowers of the Patriots and Ezekiel Ansah of the Lions. There were rumblings of the Jets having interest in them when free agency opens next week.

3. Maccagnan did not hide his desire to trade down out of the No. 3 pick when he met with the media last week. Someone I spoke with who knows Maccagnan well said he really wants to get back into the second round of the draft this year. You may remember that Maccagnan sent his second-round pick this year to the Colts in the trade to move from No. 6 to No. 3 last year. The strength of this draft is in Rounds 2-5. The Jets currently have two third-rounders but no picks in the second round. Maybe Maccagnan can change that if someone wants to move up.

4. A few other positions the Jets are looking at are interior offensive linemen and blocking tight ends. The Jets seem to be content with sticking with Kelvin Beachum and Brandon Shell at tackles. They’d like to upgrade the middle of the line, though. The Rams’ Rodger Saffold is a candidate at left guard. Matt Paradis and Mitch Morse are the top centers on the market. Adam Gase had Paradis for a year in Denver, so that could be a match.

The Jets love Chris Herndon at tight end, but feel like they need some help behind him, particularly when it comes to a run-blocker at the position.

5. A year later, more than one person commented to me how bad the Trumaine Johnson deal looks for the Jets. The five-year, $72.5 million contract looks like it could be another whiff by Maccagnan. The Jets are hoping new defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, who had Johnson with the Rams early in his career, can bring out the best in him.

6. The Jets announced they would unveil their new uniforms on April 4. I spoke with two people who have seen them. One said they reminded them of the Eagles’ uniforms. Another said one of the alternate uniforms has black as the predominant color.

Tevin Coleman is more athletic than Crowell but they have about the same production.  Granted Coleman has fewer touches than Crowell, but both average around 4.3/4.4 yards per carry, both heavily used in the passing game and they had the same TD rate at 3% per rushing attempt. 

Coleman is more effective in the passing game, especially via the touchdowns (11 vs 1), but Crowell has a better catch rate (74% catch rate vs 68% for Coleman), more rushing touchdowns (27 vs 18), has had longer "long" plays (Crowell 35, 54, 85, 59, 77 vs 46, 55, 52, 65), and has fewer fumbles (6 on 997 touches (.6%) vs 7 on 620 (1.1%))

Statistically, they match up pretty well with a slight edge to Crowell, especially when considering Coleman has been in a better offense with a better QB and Wide Receivers.  It's Crowell's attitude that is the main problem, but they knew that after what happened in Cleveland.  

A Tevin Coleman signing will be a locker room upgrade but not sure if his production would suddenly take off.

G GS Rush Yds TD Long Y/A Y/G A/G Tg Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G Ctch% Touch Y/Tch YScm RRTD Fmb AV
Isaiah Crowell 77 51 880 3803 27 85 4.3 49.4 11.4 159 117 922 7.9 1 53 1.5 12   997 4.7 4725 28 6 25
Tevin Coleman 56 20 528 2340 18 65 4.4 41.8 9.4 134 92 1010 11 11 49 1.6 18   620 5.4 3350 29 7 27

He's a solid RB and I wouldn't hate it.... but if we are going to pass on Bell and sign Coleman, we shouldn't be releasing Crowell. Bell removes the need for a committee - Coleman is a nice committee member.

Depends on how much Coleman would cost. If he’s less than the $5 million Crowell counted towards the cap, why not sign him?

Coleman is also a little better than Crowell as a pass-catcher.

I like the ‘giddy-up’ running style from Coleman I like that he’s a pass catcher, and if we lose out on Le’Veon Bell (ala the Kirk Cousins sweepstakes) he’d be a fine backup plan, but this is not a jump up & down signing.  

7 hours ago, Jethead said:

Bingo!!! Falcons sucked last year under Sarkesian. Nothing to do with Coleman. He would be a fine get for the Jets. I'd still like to have Bell but not for stupid money. We have too much to do and too many holes to fill.

It’s that thinking that gets you a thoroughly mediocre roster that churns every couple of years. Go get studs, should be Macc’s mantra this season. With this cash horde, if not now, when??

5 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Why because those are actually good moves?

Because they barely move the needle. Coleman is a part time pass catching change of pace back, he’s a better version of McGuire. Tyrell Williams is at most a high end number 2 but we already have 2 of those. 

If Darnold was more established then I’d be fine with those signings but he’s not and he needs high ceiling studs.

6 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Because they barely move the needle. Coleman is a part time pass catching change of pace back, he’s a better version of McGuire. Tyrell Williams is at most a high end number 2 but we already have 2 of those. 

If Darnold was more established then I’d be fine with those signings but he’s not and he needs high ceiling studs.

If you’re idea of “moving the needle” is signing a part time rb to $100 million because he had Big Ben and Antonio Brown spreading the field for him for years then ok

Let’s sign a couple JAG Olbs who give us no pass rush plus the prima Donna - GAP Closed

Archived