This is the year the Jets win the division

Maxman

Gregg Williams defenses haven't been great since 2011. They've been...average. Allen and Darnold weren't exactly leagues apart. Gase has been a losing coach who hasn't had a good offense since he coached Peyton Manning. 

...but bless the offseason when hope abounds..

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

Gregg Williams defenses haven't been great since 2011. They've been...average. Allen and Darnold weren't exactly leagues apart. Gase has been a losing coach who hasn't had a good offense since he coached Peyton Manning. 

Average is better than what we have seen with this past staff, right?

Gase had tannehill and Cutler, he finally has talent to work with again.

I believe a few things will have to go in the Jets favor in order for them to win the division.

1) Signing the right people during free agency which is key.

2) Drafting the right people will help.

3) The Jets need a favorable schedule not like the past years.

Right now the Patriots are the team to beat, no matter how many players they lose to free agency they are still the team to beat. They always have replacements they either draft someone or sign a free agent. They always have a replacement in place for that player or a plan of who they will sign or trade for if such occasion occurs. That's why the Patriot organization is so great and they are very organized. Notice every year they lose players and they are able to replace them and continue winning.

I think we will be a lot better but it's hard to talk division with Brady still playing at a high level.  He showed be signs of slipping last year only to rebound in postseason.  I think 2020 is the year we take off, this year I expect we'll be playoff contenders but by 2020 Brady hands the keys to be the division to Sam.

Things to look out for over the next 2 years....in whatever order you like.

Brady goes down in week 3 with torn acl
Pats go 3-13
They tie for worst record in the league, gets #2 pick
Beli retires amongst a new Kraft "mayonaise" scandal
Jets new uniforms set the league on fire.
Sam and Gase hoist SB trophy
Amidst the lights and confetti a classic crazy eyed Gase meme is born

Sent from my SM-T835 using JetNation.com mobile app

8 hours ago, peebag said:

This team is so devoid of talent, one off-season is not going to fix everything.

.500 record is being optimistic 

It would require a legendary performance by Macc in the draft and FA to win anything in 2019. Macc has never shown any hint that he has such an epic off season within him. It's more likely that I randomly jab a canvas with a paintbrush and somehow luck into reproducing "Starry Night" flawlessly.

(To be somewhat fair, I don't think any GM could turn the Jets around like that in one season. Of course, we are also here much due to Macc's bungling the last four years...)

Doubt that the division is up for grabs. We have the Super Bowl champs in the weakest division in the league. Thats 5-6, most likely 6 wins right there lol.

But time for patience is over. This is “the year we’ve been looking at.” We’ve heard this the last few years. The “real rebuild” began in 2017. 

They got the QB. They saved the cap $.

They have HC with experience who knows the division.

They need to at least have a winning record this year, if not playoffs.

My hunch is Mac will swing and miss and fail this free agency. We’ll go 7-9 and then the new GM will decide Gase’s fate.

32 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Doubt that the division is up for grabs. We have the Super Bowl champs in the weakest division in the league. Thats 5-6, most likely 6 wins right there lol.

But time for patience is over. This is “the year we’ve been looking at.” We’ve heard this the last few years. The “real rebuild” began in 2017. 

They got the QB. They saved the cap $.

They have HC with experience who knows the division.

They need to at least have a winning record this year, if not playoffs.

My hunch is Mac will swing and miss and fail this free agency. We’ll go 7-9 and then the new GM will decide Gase’s fate.

The Jets are winning 10 games next year at least. First year head coaches always do well here.

21 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Gase left Miami and they are tanking now. How he went close to .500 with that team is a miracle.

10 hours ago, jgb said:

It would require a legendary performance by Macc in the draft and FA to win anything in 2019. Macc has never shown any hint that he has such an epic off season within him. It's more likely that I randomly jab a canvas with a paintbrush and somehow luck into reproducing "Starry Night" flawlessly.

(To be somewhat fair, I don't think any GM could turn the Jets around like that in one season. Of course, we are also here much due to Macc's bungling the last four years...)

I’ve been saying this exactly for a while now. Even with a “clean slate”, which I will absolutely not give Mac, no GM could turn the Jets around in 1 offseason.

This is not only due to a disaster roster, it’s also coaching/scheme changes/tweaks on both sides of the ball. Too much of a task for 1 offseason. 

50 minutes ago, Maxman said:

The Jets are winning 10 games next year at least. First year head coaches always do well here.

Gase left Miami and they are tanking now. How he went close to .500 with that team is a miracle.

I agree with this. I think Gase did a fantastix job with what he had in Miami, which was nothing.

I’m a big fan of Gase’s hire. My concern is that mac will fail in free agency and we won’t have enough talent to win games this year.

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Every time Miami beat us I said, how the hell did we lose that game?

There are some very good free agents available contrary to popular belief here. 

Jets could sign Flowers, Houston, Saffold, Morse, Callahan & Bell. 

They could draft Q.Williams, 3rd round- Hakeem Butler, 3rd round- Elgton Jenkins OL, 4th round Bobby Evans OT. 

They can fill in holes with older vets on 1 year deals. 

They would have playmakers on both sides of the ball. Quincy, Anderson, Herndon, Butler, Bell.

I'd also like to offer our 5th rounder for Agholor or Sanu. Both the Falcons & the Eagles could use some cap relief. With a revamped Oline, Sam in his 2nd year, a full slate of playmakers, a front 7 that can pressure, anything can happen in this league. 

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Can't wait!  

Is there any reason they were unable make these improvements in 2018?  Or 2017?  Or 2016?

Because no one wanted to play for them. I think it will be different come March 13th. Players didn't seek out and praise Darnold because they didn't see some talent. 

Archived