PFF Pass Blocking Grades: Jets OL Wasn't As Bad As You Think

BroadwayRay

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, choon328 said:

26th in rushing yards per game says hi

29th in rushing yards per attempt says hi

I know you only want to use Crowell's stats to skew the facts but the Jets were one of the worst offensive lines in the league. Rated 25th overall by PFF. That's bottom 3rd in the NFL. That's not average, that's bad. 

And Crowell averaged 4.8 ypc not 4.9. If you're going to rely on one statistic at least get it right.

We had a rookie running back throwing to garbage receivers who were injured half the time teams stacked 8 in the box and run blitzed against us constantly last season

With that situation it’s amazing the running game wasn’t ranked 32nd

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

thus i would not be surprised if they trade back and take taylor.  

Might be the right move. As much as I like Allen at #3, investing in the O-line early in the draft is something to consider.

I haven no problem trading down to acquire a couple of 2nd rounders, drafting Taylor/Dillard with that 1st rounder, and a center with the 2nd rounder.

Then again if we do this and Josh Allen turns out to be a stud edge rusher, I might go into severe depression.

20 hours ago, Beerfish said:

You are fine with the play of our centers the last 3 years?

You are fine with a franchise QB getting killed and having his game severely affected by a center that could not snap the ball for a 3rd of the season?

You are fine with the GM drafting a whole 2 olineman in 4 drafts?

Glad to hear it.  We better hush up about all the problems of this team.  Just ignore them and they will go away.

Spencer Long had broken fingers last year. Tried to play thru it because of the idiot Todd. He's no longer on the team so like I said. GIVE IT A REST.

The whiners are always louder this board is a dozen miserable trolls that take over every thread

If you pay attention the "call it like I see it" ,posters are here, just have to sort through the  nonsense to find it

20 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

If folks can't see this I don't know what to tell you.....

Please look at how fast at Darnold gets rid of the ball or how elusive he is!! 

This isn't Tom Brady sitting back there with 8 seconds.

Think Darnold was a rookie and he didn't even have a center who could snap him the ball on a regular basis....

The throw at 2:40 is one of my favorites from him last year.  How he fits it in over the short man, in front of the deeper guy.  And this was on a presumably designed roll-out - and he was unable to set his feet properly.

23 hours ago, nico002 said:

Darnold was running for his life on every snap. The kid masked a ton of issues last year with his ability to make people miss in the pocket and scramble...

This and the fallacy of PFF. Darnold saw the line break down early so many times and got out of the pocket that it hides how bad it was because it doesnt count as any type of pressure.

The Difference between number 1 rank and number 14 is pretty small .... Run blocking however is probably a different story. That can also change with the addition of Osamele (sp?) and maybe a few draft picks and a new scheme altogether 

"T-14. NEW YORK JETS

2018 pass-blocking efficiency: 85.5

Heading into 2018, the Jets’ offensive line was correctly pegged as an underwhelming unit that was made up of average-level veterans. At the end of 2018, they met expectations. They allowed 17 sacks, 19 hits, and 115 hurries from their 581 passing plays in 2018."

Underwhelming is what this OL is. Is it as bad as it has been the last few years? No. But it definitely needs better quality players, especially inside. But the tackles aren't much either. They could use a difference-maker somewhere on the OL. I hope the OG they got from the Raiders is an upgrade but that leaves 3 more positions that could use an upgrade.

22 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Crowell and 4.9 ypc says hi

He sucked. We were top of the league In negative runs. That one great game he had inflated that. Guess you watched different games. What an awful take by you to try to say our OL is good at run blocking. A joke actually 

Just draft me a starting caliber Center this year, please. We don’t need to upgrade the entire line and getting Osemele at LG was a really big get IMO. I think we target next year for Left Tackle. But, we absolutely must get a top-tier Center prospect this year in my opinion. 

The issues with the line, in my opinion were Longs snaps/finger and Brian Winters.

Everyone is clamoring for a LT in this draft, but Beachem isnt the problem and is fairly paid.  Winters on the other hand, routinely gets blown into the backfield which kills multiple plays per game.  Hes avg in space, but a huge liability against a strong DT.

Osmele and Beachem are a good paring on the left side.  We need a center and a LG to replace winters either this year or next.

Archived