PFF Pass Blocking Grades: Jets OL Wasn't As Bad As You Think

BroadwayRay

1 hour ago, JiF said:

The other thing here is; what do the top 10 teams have in common?  The best QB's in the league.  Great QB play makes up for a ton in the pass blocking game.  As Sam improves, so will the OL. 

People act like it's a coincidence that when Sam played better the last 4 games the line and center suddenly looked fine.

I wasn't down on Darnold at all last year... I expected him to suck for many games but was hoping to see glimpses of greatness and steady improvement.  We got that..  we should be stoked about the future.

That doesn't mean we need to throw the entire offensive line under the bus and pretend Darnold covered up how bad they were.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Frank Pollack and Osemeles impact as well whoever else joins the unit the next few months. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Watson is more mobile than Darnold and Houston’s OL was ranked 31st

Watson holds the ball for an exorbitant amount of time though.  Even Texans fans admit that he has to learn how to just toss it away.  A ton of sacks were on him, even though this is an issue with a number of young QBs.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

All of this is spot on.

The other thing here is; what do the top 10 teams have in common?  The best QB's in the league.  Great QB play makes up for a ton in the pass blocking game.  As Sam improves, so will the OL. 

10000%

2 hours ago, Pac said:

Darnold pretty much sucked until he got to take a step back and watch.  He consistently showed flashes early on but didn't put complete games together until he came back from injury.

This myth that he covered up a ton of issues is a joke..  he caused many of them.

It was ok then and it's ok now as that was always going to happen..  but this silliness about him riding in on a white horse and playing great from the beginning is sickening.

There were games he flat out sucked and cost us the game.  Get a grip.

A rare bit of objectivity from the pacmule, good post

9 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

And I can’t believe how people cite PFF as gospel all offseason long until they say our OL wasn’t that bad last year which it wasn’t 

In pass protection, they weren't. I agree. But they were pretty bad in the run game.

4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Watson holds the ball for an exorbitant amount of time though.  Even Texans fans admit that he has to learn how to just toss it away.  A ton of sacks were on him, even though this is an issue with a number of young QBs.

Good point. He takes some of the worst sacks I have ever seen a decent QB take. 

2 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Yes they were every but as bad as what we saw. OFF splitting hairs is ridiculous. Sam was running for his life and the running game couldn't get going. It absolutely must change.

You quoted the whole article to say that? 

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Well, I certainly don't think the Jets had the worst OL in the league. I just don't think it was good. 

No one is saying it was good but the hysteria over the jets having the worst ever offensive line was asinine 

20 minutes ago, Pac said:

People act like it's a coincidence that when Sam played better the last 4 games the line and center suddenly looked fine.

I wasn't down on Darnold at all last year... I expected him to suck for many games but was hoping to see glimpses of greatness and steady improvement.  We got that..  we should be stoked about the future.

That doesn't mean we need to throw the entire offensive line under the bus and pretend Darnold covered up how bad they were.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Frank Pollack and Osemeles impact as well whoever else joins the unit the next few months. 

The line play got better once Harrison started at Center

2 hours ago, RobR said:

PFF is a joke and they are only getting worse. I can't believe people still take their rankings as gospel.

They don't. They take PFF as selective gospel lol.

When the rankings for anything Jets are bad then PFF is worthless. When they're good then the ranking is gospel and each good ranking must get its own thread.

51 minutes ago, Pac said:

The line's best game was against Denver. Darnold completed 10 of 22.

45 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

They don't. They take PFF as selective gospel lol.

When the rankings for anything Jets are bad then PFF is worthless. When they're good then the ranking is gospel and each good ranking must get its own thread.

Unfortunately you're as guilty as everyone else since you quote it all of the time when mentioning contract numbers. 

40 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

You have to be kidding me hahaha!

Oh he's not. When it comes to self awareness pac is one of the few primates who have thus far been unable to recognize himself in the mirror in numerous tests, along with Capuchin monkeys, sh*t Gibbons and @Integrity28

2 hours ago, Jet Life said:

What about run blocking? That’s where we are the most atrocious 

Why do you think bell didn’t immediately jump on the contract ? Or his “ that is not enough.$$ to come run with the jets “ comment. These RBs are dumb, he had a very good line in Pitt, so I understand why he was hesitant to run behind a line that is going to have DLs in the backfield. I think knowing Gase coming in and would finally push Mac to take OL seriously, played a key part in bell coming here..

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Crowell and 4.9 ypc says hi

26th in rushing yards per game says hi

29th in rushing yards per attempt says hi

I know you only want to use Crowell's stats to skew the facts but the Jets were one of the worst offensive lines in the league. Rated 25th overall by PFF. That's bottom 3rd in the NFL. That's not average, that's bad. 

And Crowell averaged 4.8 ypc not 4.9. If you're going to rely on one statistic at least get it right.

Beyond the point others brought up about Darnold's elusiveness, another thing to consider is that, as bad as Bates may have been at his job, he clearly put a substantial amount of effort, rather successfully, in trying to cover up the OL's faults while easing Darnold in.  Do we so quickly forget the volume of quick one-read pass plays, be it screens or other underneath routes, that gave the opposition no time to get to Darnold?

Don't get me wrong, the Jets OL certainly wasn't close to the league's worst last season, and I never thought they were, but there was also tons of room for improvement, and that will become even more significant as the Jets' will undoubtedly look to do even more with Darnold this year.

The above numbers are Crowell's week by week average YPC stats.

4 weeks where he averaged > 4 YPC, and 6 where he averaged < 3 YPC.  (The last week, 2.5, can potentially be discounted as he only rushed twice that week).

The inconsistency here shows why our run game may look good at an aggregate level, but pretty awful most of the individual games. 

If you then look at McGuire's average YPC week by week:

you see a very pedestrian run game. The last 4 weeks were where he carried more of the load (14-18 carries vs. 6-7 the first 4 games).

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Blah blah blah. All i read is we need to draft 15 OL to protect Darnold from these evil pass rushers we don’t want.

I dont think that's as clever a point as you think it is..

9 hours ago, RobR said:

Unfortunately you're as guilty as everyone else since you quote it all of the time when mentioning contract numbers. 

If you're referring to yesterday it was tongue-in-cheek in response to someone using it to show why one non-Jets player (Smith) #61 ranking is bad, when a recently-signed Jets player's (TJohnson's) #68 rank was even worse the year before his big contract. The very point - including my "lol" in the former's ranking - was to show how PFF's rankings are being selectively used. 

Other time this week was with regard to Lee, in drawing attention the irony of how often his high PFF ranking was quoted all last season, while most of those same people are now suggesting he's only worth a late round pick in trade. 

Beyond that I'll post their rankings in response to someone else using their ranking for others, or with a "for whatever PFF's ranking is worth" or "if you place value in these PFF rankings" type disclaimer; or just using their count (different than their subjective ranking) for individual tallies like total pressures surrendered from players none of us focus on for every snap of every game; but even then I acknowledge at those times the "stat" doesn't take into account QBs who get rid of the ball faster or linemen benefitting statistically from a terrible someone-else on the line allowing a sack or pressure to the QB even earlier.

That hardly screams using them as gospel. 

15 hours ago, Beerfish said:

You are fine with the play of our centers the last 3 years?

You are fine with a franchise QB getting killed and having his game severely affected by a center that could not snap the ball for a 3rd of the season?

You are fine with the GM drafting a whole 2 olineman in 4 drafts?

Glad to hear it.  We better hush up about all the problems of this team.  Just ignore them and they will go away.

What I would be better than fine with is for you and others to stop throwing cliches out about the OL and the QB being killed.  I've said it all off season they're not a great OL by any stretch but they're horrific pass blocking, they're middle of the pack.  But it's much easier to just keep crying that "our young FQB will get killed" at every turn.  Even when that shouldn't be the worry.  It doesn't mean the OL doesn't need to be addressed and improved, it does, but to me it's more the run blocking that's the issue

Archived