Kelechi Osemele Undergoing Shoulder Surgery Despite Jets Not Authorizing

13 hours ago, Jetpain said:

The Jets have really got a good return on some of their biggest investments this year.    Lol.  Osemele, Trumaine, Kalil, Leonard Williams , Winters,  and Quincy,  I could throw in Mosely, but he has a future here and his a top player when healthy   what a painful list  

^

The eternal optimist.

16 hours ago, PCP63 said:

You realize what a torn labrum is, right? 

I do I have had one yes it was painful I also at the same time had a bone spur and bicep partially torn tendon re-attached. I had limited movement above my head and behind my back. as long as my should was not lifted above shoulder level. i had no pain. I can see both sides of the argument here.  Rehab was close to yr and it took another 6 months of working on my own to get 95% range of movement.

If he needs surgery he should get it. but at the same token the timing is questionable he should have gotten it sooner if it was hindering his play in the preseason.

I think the cba is also wrong here because if they have 2 conflicting opinions on surgery or treatment it should go to a impartial panel of medical professionals.

On a side note the Dr who did my surgery was an intern for the Jets when he was going through his orthopedic work

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

I've spoken to many potential NFL guards 

guys like KO probably never LIKED football in the first place 

it's something a person (due to rare physical traits) can do in front of other people for money 

some people love it many people do it as a job. 

the dude has  a torn labrum his choices are become a Brett Favre level opioid addict, don't take a crap for 10 weeks (and still play like sh*t) or get it fixed 

It's crazy how people change it's almost like Tom Shane wishes KO was the Boar hunter (deep cut) 

My point is that Osemele wouldn’t be taking this principled stand if he didn’t have the Raiders’ $50 mil in his bank account. This is like when Sidney Rice signed a huge deal in Seattle and then decided his knee hurt. 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

My point is that Osemele wouldn’t be taking this principled stand if he didn’t have the Raiders’ $50 mil in his bank account. This is like when Sidney Rice signed a huge deal in Seattle and then decided his knee hurt. 

They have MRI showing Osemele's labrum is torn off the bone. He didn't decide his shoulder hurt. The Jets traded for a hurt player. That's on the Jets not the player 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

They have MRI showing Osemele's labrum is torn off the bone. He didn't decide his shoulder hurt. The Jets traded for a hurt player. That's on the Jets not the player 

Two doctors said he could play and he doesn’t want to play. The right move was to IR him, get him out of the locker room, and then waive him off of IR like the Pats would do, so that’s on the Jets. They made a mistake in letting Osemele control the narrative on this and they’re looking like dicks. It doesn’t change the fact that Osemele has been dogging it since he signed his contract, which is why we got him in the first place.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Two doctors said he could play and he doesn’t want to play.  

and three doctors said he can't 

by the way to IR a player means he's getting all the 19 salary (which is what KO wants anyway) and to IR waive the player requires further payoff beyond that if there is guaranteed money (which in KO case im not sure there is) ...  but either way the pats are paying off these players to leave 

it's against the CBA to cut an injured player unless they waive that through payment (or unless he was injured doing something not football related, like getting MONO)

the Jets are being cheap again 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Jetpain said:

Imagine if Macagnan had engineered his master plan.  There would be no Sam on this team, we would have Kirk Cousins running this well oiled machine.   Just when I think it couldn't get any worse as a Jet fan, I think how much worse it could actually be with Cousins

I don’t want to get into the whole argument about Kirk Cousins coming here again, I just want to ask you one question.

Look at where we are now. How would having Cousins putting up the numbers he has the last year and a half, AND having three 2nd round picks plus the 6th pick in the draft have made us worse off?

The only answer I can think of is you buy into Sam being the elite QB who is leading us to multiple Super Bowls. That’s fine, you’re allowed to think that, but thinking it doesn’t make us better right now, does it?

3 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

I don’t want to get into the whole argument about Kirk Cousins coming here again, I just want to ask you one question.

Look at where we are now. How would having Cousins putting up the numbers he has the last year and a half, AND having three 2nd round picks plus the 6th pick in the draft have made us worse off?

The only answer I can think of is you buy into Sam being the elite QB who is leading us to multiple Super Bowls. That’s fine, you’re allowed to think that, but thinking it doesn’t make us better right now, does it?

I don't think Cousins puts up those numbers here.   With our poor o line and receivers that fall way below what cousins is playing with in Minnesota I don't think this team would be any better.  Granted those draft picks would have helped or at least hope they would have, but our draft history with Mcagnan is horrendous.    Then the salary of $30 mil a year would have created other cap issues here.  I would much rather roll the dice on Sam being the long term answer here than Cousins being a short term band aid like the so many many band aids that have failed us over the years 

• Upvote 2

Kind of ironic that the ownership behind this has a major university hospital named after them and comes from the family that founded perhaps the largest medical related company in the world.  

NFL teams manage a fragile balance between players who play through pain and push to have elective surgery.  It is not an accident that we don’t hear about more of these conflicts.  Sounds like the Redskins, with their sleezy and inept management, also had one. 

I think KO is sticking it to the Jets, acting dishonorably and will likely pay for it one day.   But Mac’s and the current Jet’s ineptitude has allowed this situation to get out of control.  It never should have gotten there, but if the player can point to a surgical need, you need to give to him.  

Jets send blank MRIs and two of their company hack doctors say a player can play despite THREE independent doctors saying you need surgery and now this is somehow on the player and not on that well run precision machine called the New York Jets.

And guess what you having an injury is NOT the same thing as a professional football player having said injury and being asked to stop 300 pound plus men from hurting them!

• Upvote 1

I'm glad the Jets are taking a stand with this POS who is trying to collect 10M in salary while he has surgery and positions himself for next years FA,  playing the Jets for the fools they were. Not anymore - make a stand and show these guys looking for a free ride the Jets are no longer an ease lay.

Kelechi Osemele has shoulder surgery without Jets’ blessing

October 25, 2019 | 7:33pm

Kelechi Osemele didn’t back down, undergoing surgery on his right shoulder Friday despite the Jets’ objections, his agent Andrew Kessler told The Post.

The offensive guard, acquired in a trade with the Raiders in the offseason, said on Wednesday three different doctors believed he needed surgery for a torn labrum. But the Jets didn’t approve it, thinking he could play through the injury until after the season.

The Jets began fining him last week for conduct detrimental to the team after he refused to practice. His absence from the facility on Friday was termed “unexcused,” even though his representatives told the Jets he was having the surgery, which Kessler said was performed by Dr. Glen Ross in Boston. Osemele has filed a grievance against the Jets in response to the fines.

The NFL Players Association released a statement Thursday in support of Osemele, saying “it is not appropriate or ethical for employers in any line of work to dictate the medical care and treatment of any employee. We are considering all options to protect Kelechi Osemele, as we would for any of our members.”

Coach Adam Gase declined to comment on the matter. General manager Joe Douglas has not been made available to the media to discuss the situation. Despite undergoing surgery, Osemele was listed by the Jets as doubtful for Sunday’s game against the Jaguars.

32 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

I'm glad the Jets are taking a stand with this POS who is trying to collect 10M in salary while he has surgery and positions himself for next years FA,  playing the Jets for the fools they were. Not anymore - make a stand and show these guys looking for a free ride the Jets are no longer an ease lay.

Yes. That’ll attract the free agents! “Hey everyone if you don’t take daily shots to numb your pain so that you can play for a 1-5 team, we’ll fine you even though we knew about your shoulder situation the entire time!” Now who wants to sign with this dumpster fire?!

35 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Yes. That’ll attract the free agents! “Hey everyone if you don’t take daily shots to numb your pain so that you can play for a 1-5 team, we’ll fine you even though we knew about your shoulder situation the entire time!” Now who wants to sign with this dumpster fire?!

So you want the Jets to sign the asswipes of the league who are looking for a retirement package? Eff those guys. Attracting over the hill POS's that want a final big $$$ contract will not play with the new management. It'll take three years but we will be a team that has a good chance to go all the way.

1 hour ago, Big_Slick said:

He's going to file a grievance against the team and he will most likely win. The Jets don't look good in this whole situation.  

The man is having surgery. It's not like he's just taking a sick day from the office. Dude is going to reconstruct his shoulder with a surgical procedure. Who the hell are the Jets to "authorize" anything when it comes to the health of a player when its the player's doctor  recommending surgery?

The Jets are showing to be an organization not worthy of any respect. Who sends blank MRI's to Doctors? How does that happen? Shenanigans like this is why Trent Williams refuses to play for Washington, because teams are showing no real concern about players physical and even mental well-being while attempting to demonize players who do so for themselves. Furthermore, even if folks felt like the Jets should have more of a say in this situation, they lost that the moment they were too incompetent to send over the actual MRI for proper evaluation. 

These players will have to deal with the repercussions of playing this physical sport for the rest of their lives, yet even with that known, teams like the Jets are further jeopardizing the physical well-being of their players just to squeeze every bit out of them only to trash them and move on when their body finally gives out.