college game day... 11/16

Beerfish

Just now, Lith said:

Tua carted off with hip injury.  Injury history likely to hurt him on draft day.  Just seems like one injury after another forhim.

He has a poor feel for his own ability...   he could easily have thrown that away earlier...   in stead he holds onto the ball as if he can drift away from them on one leg until both D players are actually ON HIM...    

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Georgia v Auburn let’s see if we can keep the hope alive. @Lith

Very, very nervous about this one.  In Jordan-Hare, they are coming off a bye, our OL was banged up a bit against Missouri last week going against Derrick Brown and a real tough front 7..  Got smoked last time we went to Auburn two years ago.  This game scares me.  

On the other hand, it feels really good to care this much about the outcome of a game, considering how I have felt most Sundays over the past 10 years.  I want to feel this same way on Sundays again.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Lith said:

Tua carted off with hip injury.  Injury history likely to hurt him on draft day.  Just seems like one injury after another forhim.

These announcers are killing me. They keep repeating the same crap over and over adding nothing . Stop commenting on Tua till you have an actual update. Glad Tide security threw Todd McDick out of the tunnel before the ambulance left.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Very, very nervous about this one.  In Jordan-Hare, they are coming off a bye, our OL was banged up a bit against Missouri last week going against Derrick Brown and a real tough front 7..  Got smoked last time we went to Auburn two years ago.  This game scares me.  

On the other hand, it feels really good to care this much about the outcome of a game, considering how I have felt most Sundays over the past 10 years.  I want to feel this same way on Sundays again.

Absolutely. I’m just excited to be excited lol. This game is going to be tough. I don’t like how our offense has looked from a consistency standpoint and then you throw in the injuries. I’m not confident in any ranked match but if one thing is still consistent, it’s the defense. They can’t let Bo Nix look good today. 

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Good luck. You KNOW how much I despise Auburn. Kirby Smart's family.

22 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

What exactly did Jackson do to his hip?

The problem with Bo Jacksons injury was not that he broke his hip, but related more to where he broke it. Where he broke it had very bad blood flow so it wouldn't heal correctly and iirc part of the bone was dying. Going off of memory and that was a long time ago.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

What exactly did Jackson do to his hip?

Jackson dislocated his hip, but also fractured the "head" of his leg that connects to the hip socket.  This cut off blood flow to the joint and for all intents an purposes killed his hip joint.  Necrosis something or other is the medical term.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RobR said:

The problem with Bo Jacksons injury was not that he broke his hip, but related more to where he broke it. Where he broke it had very bad blood flow so it wouldn't heal correctly and iirc part of the bone was dying. Going off of memory and that was a long time ago.

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Jackson dislocated his hip, but also fractured the "head" of his leg that connects to the hip socket.  This cut off blood flow to the joint and for all intents an purposes killed his hip joint.  Necrosis something or other is the medical term.  

Thanks guys! That sounds like a freak injury that happens once in a blue moon. sorry that it had to happen to one of the greatest athletes ever.

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

Wow.  That is indeed the fear.  Tua's career might be over.

Wow.  Just awful.  Hard not to feel bad for the kid -- doesn't matter if you are a Bama fan or not.  Hopefully it is not as serious as feared and he still can have a pro career.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, KRL said:

@HawkeyeJet What's your breakdown on Tristan Wirfs???  Looks like a prototypical

athletic LT, but I wonder why he's at RT???  Is Iowa's starting LT actually better than him?

Wirfs is better overall no question.  Alaric Jackson is a future pro starter too though.

Jackson is longer and leaner and probably equal in pass protection.  Not as good(but not bad) in run game.

Wirfs to me is the prototype modern RT.  Athletic, strong(understatement) and good in both Run and Pass Pro.  He's a beast.

Edit: Came back to add I'm actually a little surprised I still see Wirfs name in top 10 projections.  I think he has been ever so slightly below top 10 expectations this year.  Still looks like a 1st rounder to me, but he hasn't flat out dominated as I would have thought.  He's not as good as Gallery or Scherff were at Iowa in my opinion, but better than Reiff or Bulaga were.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

After Saban won his 2nd National Championship at the Capstone I stopped trying to 2nd guess him. I feel he really knows what he's doing.

Regardless of how many chips he's got playing your stud QB and potential #1 pick in a game when you're up 30 and the opposing team has 80 yards of offense is just dumb. He probably wanted to run the score up to take away some of the sting of the LSU game. Sad for Tua wonder how much his draft stock is going to drop

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

So many college QBs look  very very good when they 1st come out or in their 2nd year but then regress.  This is what I see from Fromm.  He looks nervous and tentative to me even with the big play td.

I dont know if it is Fromm or our new OC.  He rarely takes shots down the field.  Everything is so predictable -- nice to see the big play, but we have not been able to move the ball consistently against SEC opponents all year.  Fromm has underperformed, but the predictability of the offensive game plans is what is driving me crazy this year.

Defense is great, but our offense is not good enough for us to hang with the top 4 or 5 teams.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Wirfs is better overall no question.  Alaric Jackson is a future pro starter too though.

Jackson is longer and leaner and probably equal in pass protection.  Not as good(but not bad) in run game.

Wirfs to me is the prototype modern RT.  Athletic, strong(understatement) and good in both Run and Pass Pro.  He's a beast.

Edit: Came back to add I'm actually a little surprised I still see Wirfs name in top 10 projections.  I think he has been ever so slightly below top 10 expectations this year.  Still looks like a 1st rounder to me, but he hasn't flat out dominated as I would have thought.  He's not as good as Gallery or Scherff were at Iowa in my opinion, but better than Reiff or Bulaga were.

If I'm the Jets and I end up picking 7th or 8th, lets say after going 5-11, lets say after the top 2 QBs, Young, A.Thomas and Okudah are off the board, I have no problem taking Wirfs and playing him at OG, LT or RT, wherever he fits best. I think he can play any one of those positions in the NFL. It just depends who is around him. I pass on the second best CB, edge rusher and Jeudy/Lamb and I take Wirfs. 

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Regardless of how many chips he's got playing your stud QB and potential #1 pick in a game when you're up 30 and the opposing team has 80 yards of offense is just dumb. He probably wanted to run the score up to take away some of the sting of the LSU game. Sad for Tua wonder how much his draft stock is going to drop

It's blatantly obvious that you know nothing about Nick Saban. Stick to the Big 10.

20 minutes ago, Lith said:

I dont know if it is Fromm or our new OC.  He rarely takes shots down the field.  Everything is so predictable -- nice to see the big play, but we have not been able to move the ball consistently against SEC opponents all year.  Fromm has underperformed, but the predictability of the offensive game plans is what is driving me crazy this year.

Defense is great, but our offense is not good enough for us to hang with the top 4 or 5 teams.

Hey at least you finally got that punt off. WTH ? Stupid refs. No wonder Kirby was pissed.

20 minutes ago, Lith said:

I sometimes thing Qbs can get over coached.  Instincts that make guys good get suppressed by system.  To be honest I see some of this in Darnold.

2 minutes ago, RobR said:

This is going to be a great draft for any team that needs offensive difference makers, whether they be lineman, receivers, or running backs. Don't screw this up JD. 

I'll keep harping on my whine about trading for more assets.   Take the one non difference making Dt or S and exchange it for two solid starters in positions that actually make a difference.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1