Expectations?

Jetster

Win or lose the FIRE GASE brigade is out in full force every week. 

The Ravens offense came out on fire & in the 1st three series went through the Jets defense like a hot knife through butter. The best team in the NFL, playing at home in PRIMETIME. 

Two weeks ago this same team whooped the Patriots 37-20 with the Patriots getting a late score to make it look way closer than it was. 

How many points did we leave on the field last night? Ficken (Another 4 points). Robbie Anderson on 4th down has to catch that TD (Plus it should have been 1st & goal on the 1 yard line anyway as he was obviously held), Brady gets that call 100% of the time (7 points), the beautiful throw to Smith on the sideline, pinpoint, exactly where it should have been but young INEXPERIENCED WR hesitated in his route (7 points). The interception throwing to his 4th string TE, (at least 3 points), the incredible horrible non-reversal on the punt hitting the Raven player (is that Gase fault too?), at least 3 points, maybe 7. That's maybe 21-24 points. 

Not one of those misses was Adam Gates fault. Players need to be held responsible for making plays that are there. Kickers need to make kicks. Gase got a little testy with Sam at the end of the game, good! He let the clock run down earlier too on that 2 point conversion but luckily converted with Robbie (Let's forget about Robbie acting like he caught the winning TD in the Super Bowl in a blowout). 

How about the beautifully set up screen to Bell that was blocked so poorly that as soon as he caught the ball he had a defender on his back. There was like 40 yards of green grass in front of him. And let us not forget the 50% of plays where Darnold is chased out of the pocket before he even sets his feet. Gase is a coach, not a miracle worker. This team, decimated with injuries playing the best team in the league on a 9 game winning streak in their stadium completely outmanned played hard for 60 minutes. 

Joe Douglas will put his stamp on this team with his 6 year contract. We have a boatload of backups getting great experience. With the right moves in free agency & the draft we could go from a team with zero depth to the most depth we've ever had. I'm a glass half full guy with Macc out of here, Bowles out of here, and an offensive coach and finally some stability. The last thing I want is to start all over again. Gase needs to be judged fairly under much better circumstance than what he's experiencing this year. Whether you like it or not, he's back next year. JD & Gase will choose the keepers and target their players. They deserve that chance & the haters expectations this year be damned. They are working with someone else's terrible roster. Judge them after they actually get to build the team they envision can compete for a Super Bowl.

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

54 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I especially liked the part about the "beautifully setup screen" that the defense sniffed out and saw coming a mile away. Well done. Everyone holding back Gase.

That’s BS! Our line is terrible & cant block for sh*t. Just look at the difference on yardage B4 someone’s touched when the Ravens run the ball. All u f*cking haters act like you have all the answers & could put on a headset & turn this group into prolific scorers ?. Jet fans are a joke. When the NY Jets draft 100% offense, like Macc & Bowles did on defense for 5 years and don’t see results I’ll be upset. 
Bowles defenses STUNK despite almost 90% of free agency & the draft assets being used toward the defense.

Lets see what happens if JD fixes the Oline they sign a player like Cooper, draft Ceedee Lamb or Tee Higgins, draft another RB in the 3rd, get Herndon back. Judging him now is just stupid. Oh, oh, where’s Gase magic wand? The constant drum beat is annoying. “Our roster Sucks”, “Everyone’s injures”, “Bell is slow”, Robbie is weak”, “The OlineS the worst I’ve ever seen”, “We have no pass rushers”.

After every loss...Fire Gase! Redundant & stupid. 

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The OL looked decent with Lewis,Compton and McDermott in the game last night. 

Oh yea, Sam had plenty of time. Sam ran as much as Lamar except it was just sideways. 50% of our completions Sam made under duress or he got clobbered after letting it go. 
The most time he got he threw a pick going to his 4th string TE. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Win or lose the FIRE GASE brigade is out in full force every week. 

The Ravens offense came out on fire & in the 1st three series went through the Jets defense like a hot knife through butter. The best team in the NFL, playing at home in PRIMETIME. 

Two weeks ago this same team whooped the Patriots 37-20 with the Patriots getting a late score to make it look way closer than it was. 

How many points did we leave on the field last night? Ficken (Another 4 points). Robbie Anderson on 4th down has to catch that TD (Plus it should have been 1st & goal on the 1 yard line anyway as he was obviously held), Brady gets that call 100% of the time (7 points), the beautiful throw to Smith on the sideline, pinpoint, exactly where it should have been but young INEXPERIENCED WR hesitated in his route (7 points). The interception throwing to his 4th string TE, (at least 3 points), the incredible horrible non-reversal on the punt hitting the Raven player (is that Gase fault too?), at least 3 points, maybe 7. That's maybe 21-24 points. 

Not one of those misses was Adam Gates fault. Players need to be held responsible for making plays that are there. Kickers need to make kicks. Gase got a little testy with Sam at the end of the game, good! He let the clock run down earlier too on that 2 point conversion but luckily converted with Robbie (Let's forget about Robbie acting like he caught the winning TD in the Super Bowl in a blowout). 

How about the beautifully set up screen to Bell that was blocked so poorly that as soon as he caught the ball he had a defender on his back. There was like 40 yards of green grass in front of him. And let us not forget the 50% of plays where Darnold is chased out of the pocket before he even sets his feet. Gase is a coach, not a miracle worker. This team, decimated with injuries playing the best team in the league on a 9 game winning streak in their stadium completely outmanned played hard for 60 minutes. 

Joe Douglas will put his stamp on this team with his 6 year contract. We have a boatload of backups getting great experience. With the right moves in free agency & the draft we could go from a team with zero depth to the most depth we've ever had. I'm a glass half full guy with Macc out of here, Bowles out of here, and an offensive coach and finally some stability. The last thing I want is to start all over again. Gase needs to be judged fairly under much better circumstance than what he's experiencing this year. Whether you like it or not, he's back next year. JD & Gase will choose the keepers and target their players. They deserve that chance & the haters expectations this year be damned. They are working with someone else's terrible roster. Judge them after they actually get to build the team they envision can compete for a Super Bowl.

I have been VERY critical of Gase, but last night, the play calling was sound.   I am referring to the 1st and 2nd qtrs until the Ravens started running away with it.   Gase  seems to understand that play calling is about building a drive.  One play follows the next with intelligence. The problem for the Jets offense was not play calling or play design.  It was execution. 

I still don't like Gase in general, because he is tied to one way of scoring points.  He has *his* offense and I *THINK* he may be the type of coach that does not know how to or is not willing to be flexible to suite the talent of his players.

At least, last night, he tried to get Bell involved. 

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I especially liked the part about the "beautifully setup screen" that the defense sniffed out and saw coming a mile away. Well done. Everyone holding back Gase.

I’m far from a Gase fanboy but the play he’s referencing was a good call against a blitzing defense. The Balt LB/DE made a great play. 

the bar is set low but I wasn’t mad at the offense or the play calling last night. 

3 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Oh yea, Sam had plenty of time. Sam ran as much as Lamar except it was just sideways. 50% of our completions Sam made under duress or he got clobbered after letting it go. 
The most time he got he threw a pick going to his 4th string TE. 

We must have watched a different game. I saw Sam Darnold have time to complete some decent passes throughout the entire game and him running sideways is on him. I cant figure out why he isn't running the ball downfield when the opportunity is there. Or on 4th and 1 when a QB sneak gets us a 1st down. 

9 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Definitely BS. I don't know how any NFL defense could see a Gase screen coming. Gase is basically Bill Belichick without the good players.

Oh you mean the Bill Belichick team that got smoked in that same building 2 weeks ago 37-20? That Bill Belichick? The game where Pats were saying, That game wasn’t even as close as the score indicated?

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

Oh you mean the Bill Belichick team that got smoked in that same building 2 weeks ago 37-20? That Bill Belichick? The game where Pats were saying, That game wasn’t even as close as the score indicated?

I think it's safe to say Gase is better than Belichick. Look at how much better his team full of scrubs did against the Ravens.

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

We must have watched a different game. I saw Sam Darnold have time to complete some decent passes throughout the entire game and him running sideways is on him. I cant figure out why he isn't running the ball downfield when the opportunity is there. Or on 4th and 1 when a QB sneak gets us a 1st down. 

1 of the 4th down plays was TD to Robbie if he hangs on or the Ref gets his thumb out of his azz. 

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The OL looked decent with Lewis,Compton and McDermott in the game last night. 

LOL, dont forget the other three....McDermott was only in as an extra OL, so yeah one would hope 6 would block better than 5.  Wesco looked awful BTW.

6 minutes ago, Jetster said:

That’s BS! Our line is terrible & cant block for sh*t. Just look at the difference on yardage B4 someone’s touched when the Ravens run the ball. All u f*cking haters act like you have all the answers & could put on a headset & turn this group into prolific scorers ?. Jet fans are a joke. When the NY Jets draft 100% offense, like Macc & Bowles did on defense for 5 years and don’t see results I’ll be upset. 
Bowles defenses STUNK despite almost 90% of free agency & the draft assets being used toward the defense.

Lets see what happens if JD fixes the Oline they sign a player like Cooper, draft Ceedee Lamb or Tee Higgins, draft another RB in the 3rd, get Herndon back. Judging him now is just stupid. Oh, oh, where’s Gase magic wand? The constant drum beat is annoying. “Our roster Sucks”, “Everyone’s injures”, “Bell is slow”, Robbie is weak”, “The OlineS the worst I’ve ever seen”, “We have no pass rushers”.

After every loss...Fire Gase! Redundant & stupid. 

You know what, i didn't  even read this post, all I know is you are blaming the OL for the screen failing. The LB was standing right next to Bell and Sam was under a heavy rush from 2 or 3 Ravens. The pass was rushed and Bell never had a chance not because the OL didn't  block, because he was covered. It was either play design, play execution, or something gave it away but you could have had the Cowboys OL on that play and it would still fail. 

As for your post, i am sick of posters like you stating the obvious after a bad loss. Nobody expected to win, all we hoped for was a good showing and as usual,  the Jets played a decent first half and then totally fell apart in the second. This show has been running all season and second hallf collapses  are game plan failures. It is on the entire team including Gase. 

Also, I am tired of reading how JD is going to save this franchise. So far from what i have seen, JD is very capable of screwing up. Look at some of the moves he made already. I want to see him draft before I start to gush over him.  There is no way this team is going to contend next season, but they can stop being an embarrassment.  If he can do that, ill be happy but JD contributed  to this seasons embarrassing  performace by signing a guy that got our QB's killed and lost a game against the Bills by signing a kicker that can't  kick and then replaced him with just about the most unreliable kicker i have ever seen on this team.  This guy is worse than Nugent. 

Show me. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I think it's safe to say Gase is better than Belichick. Look at how much better his team full of scrubs did against the Ravens.

Well you know what Barry, you might as well find something else to do on Sundays next year because Gase WILL BE THE COACH in 2020. Obviously you believe he is so bad that even with a better roster, returning injured players, we’ll have no chance against those amazing Buffalo Bills, quickly Aging Pats & the also rebuilding Dolphins. 
I prefer to believe otherwise until it’s proven wrong & Joe Douglas & Gates can’t turn this around. 

13 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

I’m far from a Gase fanboy but the play he’s referencing was a good call against a blitzing defense. The Balt LB/DE made a great play. 

the bar is set low but I wasn’t mad at the offense or the play calling last night. 

for me..  it was bell is too slow.    guy was a yard behind and caught him. i think bilal would not have been caught.

5 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

You know what, i didn't  even read this post, all I know is you are blaming the OL for the screen failing. The LB was standing right next to Bell and Sam was under a heavy rush from 2 or 3 Ravens. The pass was rushed and Bell never had a chance not because the OL didn't  block, because he was covered. It was either play design, play execution, or something gave it away but you could have had the Cowboys OL on that play and it would still fail. 

As for your post, i am sick of posters like you stating the obvious after a bad loss. Nobody expected to win, all we hoped for was a good showing and as usual,  the Jets played a decent first half and then totally fell apart in the second. This show has been running all season and second hallf collapses  are game plan failures. It is on the entire team including Gase. 

Also, I am tired of reading how JD is going to save this franchise. So far from what i have seen, JD is very capable of screwing up. Look at some of the moves he made already. I want to see him draft before I start to gush over him.  There is no way this team is going to contend next season, but they can stop being an embarrassment.  If he can do that, ill be happy but JD contributed  to this seasons embarrassing  performace by signing a guy that got our QB's killed and lost a game against the Bills by signing a kicker that can't  kick and then replaced him with just about the most unreliable kicker i have ever seen on this team.  This guy is worse than Nugent. 

Show me. 

You’ll get that chance over the next 3 years. Calling guys failures with someone else’s horrible team certainly isn’t asking them to SHOW ME. Like Mario Andretti given a car with a faulty injector. OMG! How did he come in last?  I’m so shocked. 

4 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

for me..  it was bell is too slow.    guy was a yard behind and caught him. i think bilal would not have been caught.

Interesting when Aikman used the word DISINTERESTED. 
These guys hear a lot behind the scenes, anyone who thinks Bell looks like he has any burst needs to watch Cook & Kamara run.

7 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Well you know what Barry, you might as well find something else to do on Sundays next year because Gase WILL BE THE COACH in 2020. Obviously you believe he is so bad that even with a better roster, returning injured players, we’ll have no chance against those amazing Buffalo Bills, quickly Aging Pats & the also rebuilding Dolphins. 
I prefer to believe otherwise until it’s proven wrong & Joe Douglas & Gates can’t turn this around. 

2020 Opponents
Home: Buffalo Bills, Miami Dolphins, New England Patriots, Denver Broncos, Oakland Raiders, Arizona Cardinals, San Francisco 49ers, AFC North
Away: Buffalo Bills, Miami Dolphins, New England Patriots, Los Angeles Chargers, Kansas City Chiefs, Los Angeles Rams, Seattle Seahawks, AFC South

I'll be here watching, rooting for the Jets unless I'm dead which will be the case one of these years. Hopefully we can build a winner before then. 

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Interesting when Aikman used the word DISINTERESTED. 
These guys hear a lot behind the scenes, anyone who thinks Bell looks like he has any burst needs to watch Cook & Kamara run.

thats it, i didnt remember the word he used. 

so yeah...   gives Bell a crease he can make 2 into 3 or 6 or 4 into 7 or 8. but he looks slow. 

1) You make some valid points, a few questionable points.

2) Personally, I never called for Gase's firing. I just pointed out alarming offensive red flags beginning with that week 1 offensive fiasco - 8 total offensive points, off 4 first half turnovers: a historically low scoring output. Then the NE MNF disaster, Miami game 1, Bengals, other games and moments. The fact is despite a 3-week mini renaissance the Jets offense is at or near the bottom of every offensive category.

3) By definition, the HC is 100% responsible for his players' performances. The buck stops with him. Player miscues like missed FGs, dropped passes, untimely penalties, etc are ultimately his responsibility. Be they starters, back ups, 3rd stringers or 4th stringers. Solid HCs and programs weed out mistakes and mistake-prone players. 

4) There are no excuses. A good program is expected to perform in spite of injuries and adversity. For example: the Steelers are 8-5 with a back-up, 3rd stringer, 4th stringer QBs (for the record it seems Gase chose Falk over other options - that worked out well). Yes their roster is better than the Jets, but they also lost their No. 1 WR and No. 1 RB.

5) People tend to forget one major reason Gase has been roasted: it's not like he walked in with a recent sparkling track record as HC/OC. His time as HC and his offense's results in Miami raised many eyebrows, as did the Jets hiring him. 

6) Parcells said football is about the most cut & dry business there is; and famously that you are what your record says you are. It's a slippery slope when one starts parsing a team's performance, semi explaining things away. The Jets got waxed last night on national TV, as they did vs. the Pats and Browns. Any impartial observer would come away with the obvious: the Jets are awful. If we say that's 90% due to Macc's roster - how much has Gase squeezed out of the roster? Did he get snake bit with the injury bug thus deserving a pass (there are no passes)? Why did his Miami teams also face rashes of injuries?

7) All this said you're right: let's see how the Jets fare after JD & Gase put their stamp on the team. That's the only way to give a fair assessment. But beginning next season, play time is over. If the Jets aren't competitive every week, and Peyton's offensive guru's Jets offense doesn't produce at a consistently higher level, well ... 

17 minutes ago, JetsLife said:

1) You make some valid points, a few questionable points.

2) Personally, I never called for Gase's firing. I just pointed out alarming offensive red flags beginning with that week 1 offensive fiasco - 8 total offensive points, off 4 first half turnovers: a historically low scoring output. Then the NE MNF disaster, Miami game 1, Bengals, other games and moments. The fact is despite a 3-week mini renaissance the Jets offense is at or near the bottom of every offensive category.

3) By definition, the HC is 100% responsible for his players' performances. The buck stops with him. Player miscues like missed FGs, dropped passes, untimely penalties, etc are ultimately his responsibility. Be they starters, back ups, 3rd stringers or 4th stringers. Solid HCs and programs weed out mistakes and mistake-prone players. 

4) There are no excuses. A good program is expected to perform in spite of injuries and adversity. For example: the Steelers are 8-5 with a back-up, 3rd stringer, 4th stringer QBs (for the record it seems Gase chose Falk over other options - that worked out well). Yes their roster is better than the Jets, but they also lost their No. 1 WR and No. 1 RB.

5) People tend to forget one major reason Gase has been roasted: it's not like he walked in with a recent sparkling track record as HC/OC. His time as HC and his offense's results in Miami raised many eyebrows, as did the Jets hiring him. 

6) Parcells said football is about the most cut & dry business there is; and famously that you are what your record says you are. It's a slippery slope when one starts parsing a team's performance, semi explaining things away. The Jets got waxed last night on national TV, as they did vs. the Pats and Browns. Any impartial observer would come away with the obvious: the Jets are awful. If we say that's 90% due to Macc's roster - how much has Gase squeezed out of the roster? Did he get snake bit with the injury bug thus deserving a pass (there are no passes)? Why did his Miami teams also face rashes of injuries?

7) All this said you're right: let's see how the Jets fare after JD & Gase put their stamp on the team. That's the only way to give a fair assessment. But beginning next season, play time is over. If the Jets aren't competitive every week, and Peyton's offensive guru's Jets offense doesn't produce at a consistently higher level, well ... 

1- Its like you've forgotten that Darnold was in he throes of Mono in that Buffalo game or that the kicker missed a FG & Extra point. Not every game is won on offense, the defense after Mosely was injured gave up 3 straight scores. How about we put that one on GW? How about that? 16-0 in the 4th quarter. Not all games are perfect.

2- Weed out mistake prone players? OMG! The Jets are lucky to able able to field a f*cking team. They benched Tru, they traded Williams, they've been working with bad players up & down the Oline. 

3- Everyone brings up the Steelers. They have an above average Oline & a good defense. They aren't going ANYWHERE! So whatever, some false hope for their fans for 2019. Jets have more upside the next 6 years, if we can get a few injured players back we just might beat them at home, that will put that to rest pretty quickly. 

4- Was he the GM is Miami? Did he have too much on his plate? Is Ross a better owner than Chris Johnson? who knows? Here its a completely different scenario. 

5- Parcells was here for one reason only, like every coach, to win a Super Bowl, we didn't. He left the team in cap hell, passed on telling Archie he would draft his son, loomed over Belichick & Belichick quit. He brought in many mercenary veterans at every level, gave it the old college try & said sayonara.

6- Completely agree that we need to see development next year & that the arrow is pointing up. It will be the 1st year of these 2 guys chance to bring in, draft & create the team they envision can win. I wish them luck. 

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

You’ll get that chance over the next 3 years. Calling guys failures with someone else’s horrible team certainly isn’t asking them to SHOW ME. Like Mario Andretti given a car with a faulty injector. OMG! How did he come in last?  I’m so shocked. 

What is wrong with you. Kalil was a disaster, so was Vedvick. He signed a bunch of nobodies and you are ready to bend over for him. He could have signed better players than he did becaise the ines he did didn't  deserve to be NFL players

Just now, More Cowbell said:

What is wrong with you. Kalil was a disaster, so was Vedvick. He signed a bunch of nobodies and you are ready to bend over for him. He could have signed better players than he did becaise the ines he did didn't  deserve to be NFL players

Let's bash him for not being able to find pro bowlers off the NFLs trash heap. Numerous teams have had kicking issues this year. It's like an epidemic. Bend over for him? Hardly...give the guy a chance to run his 1st free agency & draft this offseason? Well of course. 

Are you suggesting we rate him on filling out the roster with practice aquad players? 

3 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Let's bash him for not being able to find pro bowlers off the NFLs trash heap. Numerous teams have had kicking issues this year. It's like an epidemic. Bend over for him? Hardly...give the guy a chance to run his 1st free agency & draft this offseason? Well of course. 

Are you suggesting we rate him on filling out the roster with practice aquad players? 

Ok, here we go. The pro bowler argument. You are just repeating the same idioctic defense all the other JD apologists  have been vomiting around here. We don't  need a Pro Bowl anything on this team, we need competent  players. This Pro Bowl argument is the biggest crock of ? anyone has ever uttered around here. If you have a freaking intelligent  defense for the trash he brought in, then say it but saying he had no choice but to bring in incompetent  players because there were no pro bowl C or K to get is pure stupidity. 

• Upvote 1