2020 Draft OL thread

maury77

Saahdiq Charles is another Olineman that I'm liking but I see more of a guard. Here he is against Bama and he looks even bigger than he's listed at. He needs some hand work because he lets the defender get in on him and does a ton of holding but overall he looks the part.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, RobR said:

Saahdiq Charles is another Olineman that I'm liking but I see more of a guard. Here he is against Bama and he looks even bigger than he's listed at. He needs some hand work because he lets the defender get in on him and does a ton of holding but overall he looks the part.

My concern with Charles is the off field stuff. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, RobR said:

I didn't even look at that, just watched some tape. What are his red flags?

Suspended for like 8 games last year. Sounds like LSU people think he got pooped for weed too many times. Hopefully not a big deal if he passes at the combine but he’ll have to answer those questions.

• Sympathy 2

39 minutes ago, derp said:

Suspended for like 8 games last year. Sounds like LSU people think he got pooped for weed too many times. Hopefully not a big deal if he passes at the combine but he’ll have to answer those questions.

Thanks. All I can dig up is 6 games for weed which sounds quite excessive. Makes one wonder if there is more to it. 

• Upvote 1

After watching some more of Ruiz whom I like, #50 the RG Michael Onwenu really stood out to me and I wasn't even watching him.

I don't here any chatter on him but he's at the combine and is massive at 344lbs and arms at 3403. Here he is against Iowa.

Edit: We also met with him during the EW shrine game. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On the subject of OTs, there seems to be some strong sentiment that Gettleman might go with Simmons over an OT.  

https://www.giants.com/news/nfl-combine-2020-mock-draft-tracker-isaiah-simmons-jeff-okudah-mekhi-becton

This is such a pivotal pick for us since if they go any direction other than OT, it almost guarantees one more will drop to us.  I still think he goes with Becton or Wirfs but one can hope...

6 hours ago, nycdan said:

On the subject of OTs, there seems to be some strong sentiment that Gettleman might go with Simmons over an OT.  

https://www.giants.com/news/nfl-combine-2020-mock-draft-tracker-isaiah-simmons-jeff-okudah-mekhi-becton

This is such a pivotal pick for us since if they go any direction other than OT, it almost guarantees one more will drop to us.  I still think he goes with Becton or Wirfs but one can hope...

He only drafts "Yellow Jack Guys" that early remember?

He's going with Simmons.

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

He only drafts "Yellow Jack Guys" that early remember?

He's going with Simmons.

I hope this will ease your fears. I am the Giants GM in our JN mock. Unless Chase Young falls into my lap, Simmons is the pick. No OT for us, at least not in Rd 1. And I know Gettleman watches our mock.?

• 2 weeks later...

With the OL signings the Jets have made in the offseason, the trend seems to be for athletic OL that are good in pass protection and versatile.   Who does that prioritize?  Wirfs and Wills?    Do you think this could lead JD to pass on a Thomas or Becton for a trade down and picking up a Jones who may be deemed more athletic (I could be off with this assessment)? 

One possibility if Wills/Wirfs is not there, and assuming the above speculation is correct, would be trading down with Eagles (for a 2 and a late 3 or pick next year) and getting a tackle at 21.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dinamite said:

With the OL signings the Jets have made in the offseason, the trend seems to be for athletic OL that are good in pass protection and versatile.   Who does that prioritize?  Wirfs and Wills?    Do you think this could lead JD to pass on a Thomas or Becton for a trade down and picking up a Jones who may be deemed more athletic (I could be off with this assessment)? 

One possibility if Wills/Wirfs is not there, and assuming the above speculation is correct, would be trading down with Eagles (for a 2 and a late 3 or pick next year) and getting a tackle at 21.

I think people are digging way too deep into this athletic profile that JD wants and how it correlates with the top 4-5 tackles. They're all extremely athletic and move good, that's why this class is ranked so high. They're all a fit for what JD is planning for.

The bigger question is does he value length more on the outside because in that scenario he would be prioritizing someone like Becton and Thomas, even though Wirfs and Wills measured fine IMO.

• Upvote 1

If the Jets are going to target athletic OTs, the guys to watch for are Wirfs (who won't be there), Bechton (who is a great athlete for his size), Willis (had a very good combine), Austin Jackson (especially if they trade down) and Ezra Cleveland. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, maury77 said:

If the Jets are going to target athletic OTs, the guys to watch for are Wirfs (who won't be there), Bechton (who is a great athlete for his size), Willis (had a very good combine), Austin Jackson (especially if they trade down) and Ezra Cleveland. 

I would add Peart to that list if he's looking for long athletic tackles. 

• Upvote 1

I finally found some time to watch Josh Jones and that's why I haven't commented more about him. In this tape he looks really good with his slide, hand punch, base, and he gets to the second level and locates his man and finishes his block. He's definitely in the need too watch more category.

• Upvote 3

On 3/21/2020 at 8:21 PM, maury77 said:

Think Jackson makes it to 48?