Jump to content

Sam Darnold haters = clueless


Newjetsfan
 Share

Recommended Posts

I admit I am a fan of Sam.  But by looking at things statistically, even with poor organization, lack of supporting players and coaches, he is on par with a lot of good to great QBs of last 20 years.  Bashing Darnold for ints...etc.  You expect pocket QB to be perfect from the get go?
1st 6 full season average for these Hall of Fame QBs:
Tom Brady 15.8 gms, 24.5TD/13INT, 30.3sacks
Payton Manning 16gms, 27.8TD/18.3 INT, 21sacks
Darnold  12.5gms , 18TD/14INT, 32.5sacks
Per 16games 23TD/17.9INT, 42.6 sacks
Of course, other qbs did better in their 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th year but not by much.  All these talks of, "Oh, he better have 30TD to 10 INT in his third year talk is unfounded and stupid.
Big Ben in his third year stat:
15games 17TD/23INT,  46sacks
Drew Breeze 2nd full year & 3rd yr in the league :
11games 11TD/15INT, 
 
I can say, Darnold had similar or better than these above QBs in terms of development statistically.
Except the league has made it much easier to pass in this league since most of the years quoted.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  • Upvote 6
  • Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

rivers yes

brees ~10/yr

ben ~14/yr

how bout Tds?

Ok...you give Darnold their coaches, which you would agree much much better?

Saints Oline, WR, RBs in the last 6 years and assume that Darnold has been in the league for 8~10 years in his prime..okay...you don't  think he can put up those numbers?

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Newjetsfan said:

Ok...you give Darnold their coaches, which you would agree much much better?

Saints Oline, WR, RBs in the last 6 years and assume that Darnold has been in the league for 8~10 years in his prime..okay...you don't  think he can put up those numbers?

just dont chat bs. get yer numbers correct.

sam? idk. we'll see. still hopin. but, so far, meh.

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

i am with the OP....anyone who knows football can see that Darnold is a stud. the OL is crap, and his best receiver and jamison crowder....not sure what u expect from a 22 year old.
In his own words "wins ... Lots of wins"

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sam needs to progress and mature steadily and convincingly. He will be in year 3 this year.hopefully better OLine.

 

He needs to start dominating and make other teams fear playing him to be a FQB in my mind. I know he's young .. but every year in a rookie contract is invaluable .. being young is not an excuse next year.

 

Jettisoning skeletor and bringing in some better talent at WR will be helpful.

 

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, k-met57 said:

i am with the OP....anyone who knows football can see that Darnold is a stud. the OL is crap, and his best receiver and jamison crowder....not sure what u expect from a 22 year old.

To play devil’s advocate the only thing we know about him is that he may be a stud. Just because he has a garbage supporting cast doesn’t automatically mean he will be great with a better one. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

To play devil’s advocate the only thing we know about him is that he may be a stud. Just because he has a garbage supporting cast doesn’t automatically mean he will be great with a better one. 

fair, and to be honest my feelings on him are my feelings and until the jets do right by him we wont have any hard proof that he the guy or not the guy. what i wouldnt give to have him on some of those teams with our stud OL and stud RB's instead of Sanchez.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like Darnold.  Optimistic about his upside -- he is far from a finished product and hopefully will improve with better weapons and an improved OL.  But here is what gives me concern.  These are his splits by quarter and when trailing late:

Split Value Cmp Att Inc Cmp% Yds TD 1D Int Rate Sk Yds Y/A AY/A Att Yds Y/A TD 1D
Quarter 1st Qtr 130 189 59 68.78 1294 6 63 7 83.1 11 -78 6.8 5.81 15 77 5.1 1 6
  2nd Qtr 142 234 92 60.68 1794 13 77 4 96.0 19 -125 7.7 8.01 20 33 1.7 1 6
  3rd Qtr 103 176 73 58.52 1160 9 60 8 76.4 11 -71 6.6 5.57 10 53 5.3 0 4
  4th Qtr 137 256 119 53.52 1641 8 77 9 69.2 22 -142 6.4 5.45 32 37 1.2 1 6
  1st Half 272 423 151 64.30 3088 19 140 11 90.2 30 -203 7.3 7.03 35 110 3.1 2 12
  2nd Half 240 432 192 55.56 2801 17 137 17 72.1 33 -213 6.5 5.50 42 90 2.1 1 10
Split Value Cmp Att Inc Cmp% Yds TD 1D Int Rate Sk Yds Y/A AY/A Att Yds Y/A TD 1D
Game Situation Leading, < 2 min to go 1 1 0 100.00 17 0 1 0 118.8 0 0 17.0 17.00 17 -21 -1.2 0 0
  Leading, < 4 min to go 5 8 3 62.50 46 0 3 0 78.1 0 0 5.8 5.75 17 -21 -1.2 0 0
  Trailing, < 2 min to go 35 81 46 43.21 425 0 16 4 39.4 7 -43 5.2 3.02 2 16 8.0 0 1
  Trailing, < 4 min to go 44 101 57 43.56 513 0 20 6 34.8 8 -48 5.1 2.41 2 16 8.0 0 1

He has not been good in 4th quarter, especially when trailing late.  One of the things I want out of a franchise QB is a guy who can elevate his play in the 4th quarter with the game on the line.  Darnold has not shown ability to do that.  At least not yet.

Upgrade his weapons, build the OL and see if he can take the next step next season. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Lith said:

I like Darnold.  Optimistic about his upside -- he is far from a finished product and hopefully will improve with better weapons and an improved OL.  But here is what gives me concern.  These are his splits by quarter and when trailing late:

Split Value Cmp Att Inc Cmp% Yds TD 1D Int Rate Sk Yds Y/A AY/A Att Yds Y/A TD 1D
Quarter 1st Qtr 130 189 59 68.78 1294 6 63 7 83.1 11 -78 6.8 5.81 15 77 5.1 1 6
  2nd Qtr 142 234 92 60.68 1794 13 77 4 96.0 19 -125 7.7 8.01 20 33 1.7 1 6
  3rd Qtr 103 176 73 58.52 1160 9 60 8 76.4 11 -71 6.6 5.57 10 53 5.3 0 4
  4th Qtr 137 256 119 53.52 1641 8 77 9 69.2 22 -142 6.4 5.45 32 37 1.2 1 6
  1st Half 272 423 151 64.30 3088 19 140 11 90.2 30 -203 7.3 7.03 35 110 3.1 2 12
  2nd Half 240 432 192 55.56 2801 17 137 17 72.1 33 -213 6.5 5.50 42 90 2.1 1 10
Split Value Cmp Att Inc Cmp% Yds TD 1D Int Rate Sk Yds Y/A AY/A Att Yds Y/A TD 1D
Game Situation Leading, < 2 min to go 1 1 0 100.00 17 0 1 0 118.8 0 0 17.0 17.00 17 -21 -1.2 0 0
  Leading, < 4 min to go 5 8 3 62.50 46 0 3 0 78.1 0 0 5.8 5.75 17 -21 -1.2 0 0
  Trailing, < 2 min to go 35 81 46 43.21 425 0 16 4 39.4 7 -43 5.2 3.02 2 16 8.0 0 1
  Trailing, < 4 min to go 44 101 57 43.56 513 0 20 6 34.8 8 -48 5.1 2.41 2 16 8.0 0 1

He has not been good in 4th quarter, especially when trailing late.  One of the things I want out of a franchise QB is a guy who can elevate his play in the 4th quarter with the game on the line.  Darnold has not shown ability to do that.  At least not yet.

Upgrade his weapons, build the OL and see if he can take the next step next season. 

How about starting with training him to stop throwing off his back foot?  It's constant. He will NEVER be a stud until that awful habit is stopped. No progress in that regard.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Lith said:

I like Darnold.  Optimistic about his upside -- he is far from a finished product and hopefully will improve with better weapons and an improved OL.  But here is what gives me concern.  These are his splits by quarter and when trailing late:

Split Value Cmp Att Inc Cmp% Yds TD 1D Int Rate Sk Yds Y/A AY/A Att Yds Y/A TD 1D
Quarter 1st Qtr 130 189 59 68.78 1294 6 63 7 83.1 11 -78 6.8 5.81 15 77 5.1 1 6
  2nd Qtr 142 234 92 60.68 1794 13 77 4 96.0 19 -125 7.7 8.01 20 33 1.7 1 6
  3rd Qtr 103 176 73 58.52 1160 9 60 8 76.4 11 -71 6.6 5.57 10 53 5.3 0 4
  4th Qtr 137 256 119 53.52 1641 8 77 9 69.2 22 -142 6.4 5.45 32 37 1.2 1 6
  1st Half 272 423 151 64.30 3088 19 140 11 90.2 30 -203 7.3 7.03 35 110 3.1 2 12
  2nd Half 240 432 192 55.56 2801 17 137 17 72.1 33 -213 6.5 5.50 42 90 2.1 1 10
Split Value Cmp Att Inc Cmp% Yds TD 1D Int Rate Sk Yds Y/A AY/A Att Yds Y/A TD 1D
Game Situation Leading, < 2 min to go 1 1 0 100.00 17 0 1 0 118.8 0 0 17.0 17.00 17 -21 -1.2 0 0
  Leading, < 4 min to go 5 8 3 62.50 46 0 3 0 78.1 0 0 5.8 5.75 17 -21 -1.2 0 0
  Trailing, < 2 min to go 35 81 46 43.21 425 0 16 4 39.4 7 -43 5.2 3.02 2 16 8.0 0 1
  Trailing, < 4 min to go 44 101 57 43.56 513 0 20 6 34.8 8 -48 5.1 2.41 2 16 8.0 0 1

He has not been good in 4th quarter, especially when trailing late.  One of the things I want out of a franchise QB is a guy who can elevate his play in the 4th quarter with the game on the line.  Darnold has not shown ability to do that.  At least not yet.

Upgrade his weapons, build the OL and see if he can take the next step next season. 

In his defense, Jets usually playing from behind and needing to pass. Defenses pin their eares back knowing that and the OL can't handle the added pressure. Darnold bares some responsibility... but not all.

 

Like you suggested, the only way to see if this 22 yr. old is a FQB is to give him a stacked OL and a couple more weapons.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

How about starting with training him to stop throwing off his back foot?  It's constant. He will NEVER be a stud until that awful habit is stopped. No progress in that regard.

Watched Aaron Rodgers struggle against Detroit yesterday. I swear, every throw was off his back foot or off balance flick of the wrist. All his passes were under thrown or off target. If Rodgers can't make those throws how in hell does Sammy think he can make those throws? You are absolutely correct in that his mechanics suck and need to be corrected. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Watched Aaron Rodgers struggle against Detroit yesterday. I swear, every throw was off his back foot or off balance flick of the wrist. All his passes were under thrown or off target. If Rodgers can't make those throws how in hell does Sammy think he can make those throws? You are absolutely correct in that his mechanics suck and need to be corrected. 

And why does this message board ignore the FACT that Darnold throws off his back foot constantly?  Darnold is not being coached well at all (unless he is a complete a-hole who is uncoachable. But Darnold's personality screams the opposite of that).

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

fair, and to be honest my feelings on him are my feelings and until the jets do right by him we wont have any hard proof that he the guy or not the guy. what i wouldnt give to have him on some of those teams with our stud OL and stud RB's instead of Sanchez.

I’m also almost convinced he isn’t a bum. Right now sticking with my earlier opinion: Dalton downside, Romo upside.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Lith said:

I like Darnold.  Optimistic about his upside -- he is far from a finished product and hopefully will improve with better weapons and an improved OL.  But here is what gives me concern.  These are his splits by quarter and when trailing late:

Split Value Cmp Att Inc Cmp% Yds TD 1D Int Rate Sk Yds Y/A AY/A Att Yds Y/A TD 1D
Quarter 1st Qtr 130 189 59 68.78 1294 6 63 7 83.1 11 -78 6.8 5.81 15 77 5.1 1 6
  2nd Qtr 142 234 92 60.68 1794 13 77 4 96.0 19 -125 7.7 8.01 20 33 1.7 1 6
  3rd Qtr 103 176 73 58.52 1160 9 60 8 76.4 11 -71 6.6 5.57 10 53 5.3 0 4
  4th Qtr 137 256 119 53.52 1641 8 77 9 69.2 22 -142 6.4 5.45 32 37 1.2 1 6
  1st Half 272 423 151 64.30 3088 19 140 11 90.2 30 -203 7.3 7.03 35 110 3.1 2 12
  2nd Half 240 432 192 55.56 2801 17 137 17 72.1 33 -213 6.5 5.50 42 90 2.1 1 10
Split Value Cmp Att Inc Cmp% Yds TD 1D Int Rate Sk Yds Y/A AY/A Att Yds Y/A TD 1D
Game Situation Leading, < 2 min to go 1 1 0 100.00 17 0 1 0 118.8 0 0 17.0 17.00 17 -21 -1.2 0 0
  Leading, < 4 min to go 5 8 3 62.50 46 0 3 0 78.1 0 0 5.8 5.75 17 -21 -1.2 0 0
  Trailing, < 2 min to go 35 81 46 43.21 425 0 16 4 39.4 7 -43 5.2 3.02 2 16 8.0 0 1
  Trailing, < 4 min to go 44 101 57 43.56 513 0 20 6 34.8 8 -48 5.1 2.41 2 16 8.0 0 1

He has not been good in 4th quarter, especially when trailing late.  One of the things I want out of a franchise QB is a guy who can elevate his play in the 4th quarter with the game on the line.  Darnold has not shown ability to do that.  At least not yet.

Upgrade his weapons, build the OL and see if he can take the next step next season. 

So you think being behind in the 4 th quarter with a crap offensive line ,  marginal receivers and no running game is a recipe for success?  

Next let’s talk about his performance in 3 rd and 25 yds to go situations.....

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Dcat said:

How about starting with training him to stop throwing off his back foot?  It's constant. He will NEVER be a stud until that awful habit is stopped. No progress in that regard.

Not stepping into a throw in the face of a heavy rush is bad.   How do you feel about him throwing on the run while eluding defenders?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I won’t go as far as to call anybody a “hater” I don’t think that is fair.  However I do feel that some are too over critical.  I’m a Sam fan but I have no issue pointing out his mistakes and things he needs to work on. However I also take into account that he doesn’t have much of a support system right now other than Crowder and Robby.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Bowles Movement said:

Not stepping into a throw in the face of a heavy rush is bad.   How do you feel about him throwing on the run while eluding defenders?

It's one of the reasons why I loved drafting him.  A truly mobile QB who isn't as susceptible to a collapsing pocket like some of the others we've had.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...