Alex Leatherwood to return to Alabama

Rhg1084

3 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Yep

I’ve been big on Biadasz for a while now, but that was awful.

Don’t think it’s crazy to think that a guy like Humphrey could go ahead of him. Maybe even a guy like Nick Harris for that matter.

Same here.  I still like Biadasz a lot but it wasn't a good game for him.

Last year seemed like the perfect year for Interior OLine and Centers.  Really wanted an Erik McCoy or Elgton Jenkins last year.  Both are having great seasons as rookies.

4 hours ago, Untouchable said:

There’s a much better chance that a wideout like Lamb is sitting there at #11 than one of the top OT’s.

I think the people who are expecting the Jets to walk away with one of Thomas, Wirfs or Wills are in for a big disappointment.

There are at least 5 teams ahead of us who want a franchise LT as badly as we do.

If that's the case so be it but I'd be totally stoked with CeeDee Lamb. Joe Douglas would have to earn his stripes in rounds 2 and 3 for the OL.

4 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

If that's the case so be it but I'd be totally stoked with CeeDee Lamb. Joe Douglas would have to earn his stripes in rounds 2 and 3 for the OL.

I’d be thrilled with Lamb 

And I agree about the OL. My problem is with the people who seemingly have no idea that it’s possible to bolster the OL in FA and from Round 2 onward and act like it’s blasphemy for the Jets to consider anything other than reaching and drafting the 4th/5th best OT at #11.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I’d be thrilled with Lamb 

And I agree about the OL. My problem is with the people who seemingly have no idea that it’s possible to bolster the OL in FA and from Round 2 onward and act like it’s blasphemy for the Jets to consider anything other than reaching and drafting the 4th/5th best OT at #11.

Agreed, I'm not taking an OL just to take one. If we can drop some money and reel in 2 in FA that would be amazing. Just having a healthy unit play together will be huge.

• Sympathy 1

22 hours ago, RobR said:

Did you see him play yesterday? He looked awful not only snapping the ball, but completely whiffing a few times.

No, I didn't.  I'd much prefer LT over C in the first round anyway, and I wouldn't mind the Jets looking to WR in the second and then the best C prospect at the top of the third. If no good C prospect worth a third, then take best OL of any position there.

20 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But we just HAD to beat the Steelers and Bills to finish the season!  For Sam's confidence!

How about the players are professionals that are trying to stay professionals.  And coaches trying to improve their resume and keep their jobs.  They aren’t worrying about draft position.   Did you expect Gase to bench Darnold so we got a higher pick?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

How about the players are professionals that are trying to stay professionals.  And coaches trying to improve their resume and keep their jobs.  They aren’t worrying about draft position.   Did you expect Gase to bench Darnold so we got a higher pick?

No.  Tanks are front office driven.  Not player or coach driven.  

Of course the players and coaches are ALWAYS going to try to win.  No one disputes this, and I don't know why anyone still tries to make that point.

It is too early to call who will be the first or second offensive lineman. They have to go through the all star games and more important the combine. Because of one bad game is not going to knock a player down as an offensive lineman. It is the Running backs, Qbs and receivers who get knocked down more.  The combine will be key for these lineman seeing how strong and agile they really are.  Every year someone comes out of the pack and surprises us.  

On 1/2/2020 at 4:22 PM, jetstream23 said:

It will be up to CHRIS JOHNSON to marry the Jets needs to the value on the board and to have the guts to "monetize" the pick if there isn't a player he wants when we're on the clock.  It's something that Macc obviously didn't do well at all.  He may have stuck too closely to the Draft Value Chart, unwilling to part with the #3 last year because he felt he wasn't getting enough in return.  I would have been okay taking less than the value chart indicates to move back in that situation, but that's just me.

On 1/2/2020 at 1:31 PM, bitonti said:

and there's a high chance all 3 will be gone by 11 

With 3 QBs likely going top 10 and a few highly rated defensive players also coming off the board before we pick we are pretty much guaranteed to get an elite OL or WR.

One of Thomas, Jackson, beckton should fall to us. If not, Jeudy or lamb wouldn't be a bad consolation prize. 

We all want OL but we can still take one top of the 2nd and again top of the 3rd.

• Upvote 1

On 1/4/2020 at 2:59 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

But hey, we beat the Bills in a meaningless game!

there's no such thing as a meaningless win in the NFL 

Winning instills a culture of winning 

losing reinforces the opposite

and having the 11th pick you can still find very good players there 

don't believe me? How come all these playoff teams like the Ravens are dominating despite picking in the 20's for many seasons? 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

there's no such thing as a meaningless win in the NFL 

Winning instills a culture of winning 

losing reinforces the opposite

and having the 11th pick you can still find very good players there 

don't believe me? How come all these playoff teams like the Ravens are dominating despite picking in the 20's for many seasons? 

Like when the Jets won the game that cost them Lawrence Taylor?

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Then why has winning late season games never once "carried over" to the next season?

it has, fans just don't appreciate the difference between 7-9 and 1-15 

the Jets are mediocre not abysmal and they have been this way for a while 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Prove it.  Not only hasn't it happened for the Jets, it doesn't happen for other teams. 

Wins don't carry over, primarily because bad/below average teams are usually turning over much of their rosters, meaning a lot of the "key" guys around for those late season wins are gone the next season.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Prove it.  

Like, with the scientific method?  

bad teams stay bad and good teams stay good 

the Jets are somewhere in the middle 

because they've won just enough games to stay in the middle 

there is a difference between being the Jets and being the Bengals but most fans don't act like it (and some fans hire mobile billboards to get the coach fired at 7-9) 

teams.JPG

Just now, bitonti said:

Like, with the scientific method?  

bad teams stay bad and good teams stay good 

the Jets are somewhere in the middle 

because they've won just enough games to stay in the middle 

there is a difference between being the Jets and being the Bengals but most fans don't act like it (and some fans hire mobile billboards to get the coach fired at 7-9) 

We were outscored by 87 points.  7th-worst in the league.  Against one of the league's easiest schedules.  I'd say we were bad.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Hey man. What’s your top 5 OL for this draft so far? Have you had the time yet?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Tristan Wirfs - Iowa - Top 5 grade

Andrew Thomas - Georgia - Top 10 grade

Jedrick Wills - Alabama - top 10 grade  

Others: 

Austin Jackson - USC - Rd 1-2 (Undeclared Junior with upside to rise in workouts) 

Josh Jones - Houston - Rd 2-3 - Senior Bowl

Prince Tega Wanogho - Auburn - Rd 2-3  - Senior Bowl 

{ALEX LEATHERWOOD WOULD ALSO BE AROUND HERE} 

Trey Adams - Washington - Rd 3-4 - Senior Bowl, injury concerns 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the Jets are mediocre not abysmal and they have been this way for a while 

There is also a difference in winning late in the year with your future franchise Qb with a new Head Coach vs. Brooks Bollinger with Herm Edwards. 

What's funny is there is a consistent contingent of people who bash the logic of "learning to win" - 80 is one of them and he's standing his ground, which I respect.  Ironically, one of the other ones showed their extreme hypocrisy (to basically everything that comes out of his mouth) but this year actually said, "it's important that Sam learns to win".  I wont call said poster out by name because he's ultra sensitive but I watched it happen this year and it was sooooo juicy.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

there are 31 losers and 1 winner every year 

It depends on your standards 

Well if you want to look at it from a black/white perspective, then this discussion is over.  Because that's not how it works when it comes to team-building. 

If you insist on the black/white, then look at it like this:  There are teams that are ready to take the next step and there are teams that aren't.  We're in the latter category.  As such, I'd rather have as high of a pick as possible in each round rather than win completely meaningless late season games that don't carry over.

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

Tristan Wirfs - Iowa - Top 5 grade

Andrew Thomas - Georgia - Top 10 grade

Jedrick Wills - Alabama - top 10 grade  

Others: 

Austin Jackson - USC - Rd 1-2 (Undeclared Junior with upside to rise in workouts) 

Josh Jones - Houston - Rd 2-3 - Senior Bowl

Prince Tega Wanogho - Auburn - Rd 2-3  - Senior Bowl 

{ALEX LEATHERWOOD WOULD ALSO BE AROUND HERE} 

Trey Adams - Washington - Rd 3-4 - Senior Bowl, injury concerns 

Wirfs over Thomas huh? That's interesting. I stumbled on and elaboration of some of the negatives on Wirfs recently and it spooked me a bit. 

I know it's sort of a corny attitude to have but I believe there is an added wrinkle to picking guys for the Jets. Players can thrive here, but if there is a legit concern like Injury e: Cashman)  lazy: Coples, Polite  or any other downside, he's most likely not going to overcome it here. 

Lamar Jackson is a great example of someone I think would have flopped in a major way here. 

That whole upside thing  haha.   I think we need to consider that when drafting for the Jets. I hope JD knows and considers this. 

I really like Jackson. Got to watch him a couple of times. one game was dominant. The other not so much.  But I like him. I would be open to a trade down a few spots if some of the QB's slide and grab Jackson later in rd 1 or even the 2nd,. Who knows? Guys like Cody Ford slipped last year and I loved him for the middle of Rd 1. 

Thanks for the list. I'm going to be bugging out on some of these guys this week. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Wirfs over Thomas huh? That's interesting. I stumbled on and elaboration of some of the negatives on Wirfs recently and it spooked me a bit. 

what are his negatives, that he's not a "nasty" enough player? 

I'd like to see that link, geniunely.  People said the same about Brick (and Walter Jones).  These are "finesse" tackles but it's become a pass blocking league. 

physically Wirfs is one of the most impressive tackle prospect ive seen for several years 

anyone who wins state wrestling champ in Iowa and breaks Scherffs hang clean record is made for the NFL 

if he's there at 11 it would be a no brainer for NYJ

The prospect I'm having the most trouble valuing is actually Jedrick Wills. Is he a fit for Gase zone? Is he a top 25 guy? 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

There are teams that are ready to take the next step and there are teams that aren't.  We're in the latter category.  As such, I'd rather have as high of a pick as possible in each round rather than win completely meaningless late season games that don't carry over.

The last game of the year wasn't meaningless. It was divisional. It was on the road. This is experience they (Sam) will need next year 

losing in Buffalo to Matt Barkley doesn't help Sam's confidence, that's the most important aspect of the team at the moment, and it will be until Sam is cut/traded or retires in glory. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The last game of the year wasn't meaningless. It was divisional. It was on the road. This is experience they (Sam) will need next year 

losing in Buffalo to Matt Barkley doesn't help Sam's confidence, that's the most important aspect of the team at the moment, and it will be until Sam is cut/traded or retires in glory. 

The Bills were resting their starters by the 2nd Quarter.  It was the very definition of meaningless.  For both teams.

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Bills were resting their starters by the 2nd Quarter.  It was the very definition of meaningless.  For both teams.

it was a January game in the Ralph that's invaluable experience, especially in the future.

the problem here is you keep talking about what's good for the "TEAMS"

I'm talking about player development, personal growth, especially for the franchise player who is, for all intents, the team on two legs. 

The Jets play Buffalo 2x a year and possibly again in the playoffs if the Pats actually do collapse. The experience of going on the road and winning in Buffalo will pay off down the line. Especially if we expect Sam to have that 20 year career or whatever like tb12.  

and looking at it from the other side there is no Lebron in these drafts to save the team. Picks at 11 can be good so can picks at 21 and 31. the team has to make good picks, not just in rd 1 but throughout the draft - where they do it from isn't as important as you're making it out to be 

what's important is they get starters, preferably on offense to help Sam.

Again it's all about Sam's development and that doesn't happen losing to Matt Barkley 

• Upvote 1

On 1/2/2020 at 1:34 PM, TheClashFan said:

If so, try to trade down a few slots and target Biadsz?  I really hope they can get a LT, though, before C, WR or any other OL spot.

I agree with trade down. But there isn’t a trade down button you just press. You need another team to want to trade up....if no one wants to trade up, and top 3 OL are gone- then it’ll be very interesting..

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

what are his negatives, that he's not a "nasty" enough player? 

I'd like to see that link, geniunely.  People said the same about Brick (and Walter Jones).  These are "finesse" tackles but it's become a pass blocking league. 

physically Wirfs is one of the most impressive tackle prospect ive seen for several years 

anyone who wins state wrestling champ in Iowa and breaks Scherffs hang clean record is made for the NFL 

if he's there at 11 it would be a no brainer for NYJ

The prospect I'm having the most trouble valuing is actually Jedrick Wills. Is he a fit for Gase zone? Is he a top 25 guy? 

yeah something like that.  It think it was more on motivation when the ball isn't coming his way. He sort of takes plays off. That was in addition to his mechanics being a bit sloppy when he has to rely on them. I may have that wrong. I'll try to find that article and get it to you so I could hear what you think. 

I like that supposedly he's versatile and could realistically play both sides. I'm a fan of keeping guys where they are comfortable but it obviously works from time to time. The last time it did for us was Fabini I think. Although I thought he was better on the right side. Maybe that was in comparison to Jumbo on the left. I'm not sure. 

But if a guy could actually make the switch without any drop off that is a player I'd like to have. Even if he does stay positional versatility is of incredible value.