Alex Leatherwood to return to Alabama

Rhg1084

2 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

This may be an early indication Tua is staying.

There is some serious momentum heading in that direction.  Saban is making a push to have guys come back.  Leatherwood is staying, Dylan Moses said he’s staying, Devonta Smith looks like he may be staying.  Wouldn’t be surprised if Tua decides to stay and rehab in Tuscaloosa.  

Thomas, Wirfs, and Wills are the only lineman who would be worth taking with the 11th pick based on some mocks that are out there. There’s another prospect from USC but not sure how much of a reach it’d be to select him at 11 if the other 3 are gone 

There’s a much better chance that a wideout like Lamb is sitting there at #11 than one of the top OT’s.

I think the people who are expecting the Jets to walk away with one of Thomas, Wirfs or Wills are in for a big disappointment.

There are at least 5 teams ahead of us who want a franchise LT as badly as we do.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, RobR said:

Did you see him play yesterday? He looked awful not only snapping the ball, but completely whiffing a few times.

Yep

I’ve been big on Biadasz for a while now, but that was awful.

Don’t think it’s crazy to think that a guy like Humphrey could go ahead of him. Maybe even a guy like Nick Harris for that matter.

• Sympathy 1

There are still some decent ots early 2nd round kind of thing.  Missing on the top ots would suck of course.

If they are gone by 11 then I have no issue with trading down.

After things like the senior bowl and the combine we should have a better picture of the top 10.

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Agreed, he was pushed back off his spot a lot too.   The Rose Bowl tape will be referenced a lot by his detractors.  

It was my first time watching Wisconsin this year and while I didn't focus in on him every play, he stood out in a bad way. 

It sucks because we really need a center.....Harrison is god awful.

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Yep

I’ve been big on Biadasz for a while now, but that was awful.

Don’t think it’s crazy to think that a guy like Humphrey could go ahead of him.

You would never know he was considered the best center prospect in the draft. His technique was all over the map and I was having Spencer Long flashbacks on some of his snaps.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

There’s a much better chance that a wideout like Lamb is sitting there at #11 than one of the top OT’s.

I think the people who are expecting the Jets to walk away with one of Thomas, Wirfs or Wills are in for a big disappointment.

There are at least 5 teams ahead of us who want a franchise LT as badly as we do.

It is still possible the top WRs like Lamb, and Jeudy will either be picked by teams ahead of us that can't resist like Browns, Cardinals, etc since they have young QBs that temptation makes you want the top weapon and get the Oline in the next round. If that occurs we get 1 of the Olineman, and if not then we take that route of one of those WRs since we have to have both anyway and if that occurs between whatever Olineman we get in FA and the rest of thr draft after round 1 we should be able to improve much better than we are now. I still feel even with a to LT prospect from the draft we likely need to go with Beachem for the start or maybe till even then end of next season while working a prospect into that role. Too dangerous of a position to leave it to any green rookie no matter their potential.

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

There are still some decent ots early 2nd round kind of thing.  Missing on the top ots would suck of course.

After things like the senior bowl and the combine we should have a better picture of the top 10.

Yup. Even with Leatherwood whom I liked going back it is still a deep class at the OT position. 

1 minute ago, RobR said:

You would never know he was considered the best center prospect in the draft. His technique was all over the map and I was having Spencer Long flashbacks on some of his snaps.

That was so painful to watch. He botched at least 4 snaps. 

1 minute ago, JTJet said:

That was so painful to watch. He botched at least 4 snaps. 

I still can't wrap my head around why snapping a football is so hard for some of these guys. They have literally done it thousands and thousands of times that it should just be muscle memory at this point. Especially for someone that is rated so highly. Even HS kids have less problems.

40 minutes ago, RobR said:

I still can't wrap my head around why snapping a football is so hard for some of these guys. They have literally done it thousands and thousands of times that it should just be muscle memory at this point. Especially for someone that is rated so highly. Even HS kids have less problems.

Maybe that's exactly why. Becomes such a basic muscle memory at this point, that they almost dont think about it. Then when you introduce a variable like weather, grunting defensive linemen yelling random sh*t, warmer or colder football, they dont even think about adjusting. Then disaster. Idk really. 

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

I would trade down, or if a stud WR fell, I would go that route if a decent trade down is unavailable.

They have a huge need at WR, and I'd rather take a stud WR than reach for a tackle.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

and there's a high chance all 3 will be gone by 11 

Agreed.

The Jets are NOT a team that should be trading up in Round 1.  We need more picks, not fewer.  I think Wirfs, Thomas and Wills are all gone by 11.  If that is the case then I "take what the Draft gives me" which would likely be one of the Top 2 wide receivers (Jeudy, Lamb) and then I come back in Rounds 2 and 3 for my linemen.  If desperate maybe we trade up from the 2nd Round pick to get one of the second tier of OTs like Becton, Jackson, etc.?

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Agreed.

The Jets are NOT a team that should be trading up in Round 1.  We need more picks, not fewer.  I think Wirfs, Thomas and Wills are all gone by 11.  If that is the case then I "take what the Draft gives me" which would likely be one of the Top 2 wide receivers (Jeudy, Lamb) and then I come back in Rounds 2 and 3 for my linemen.  If desperate maybe we trade up from the 2nd Round pick to get one of the second tier of OTs like Becton, Jackson, etc.?

Exactly. Let’s say the draft breaks before the jets:

3 QBs

3 OL

Young 

the Ohio state corner

simmons

brown

the jets will have their choice of Jeudy or Lamb pretty much 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

There is some serious momentum heading in that direction.  Saban is making a push to have guys come back.  Leatherwood is staying, Dylan Moses said he’s staying, Devonta Smith looks like he may be staying.  Wouldn’t be surprised if Tua decides to stay and rehab in Tuscaloosa.  

Not happy to play 2nd fiddle.

2 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Exactly. Let’s say the draft breaks before the jets:

3 QBs

3 OL

Young 

the Ohio state corner

simmons

brown

the jets will have their choice of Jeudy or Lamb pretty much 

Ignoring Chase Young and CB Okudah for a moment (because I don't see them falling to #11) my big fear has been that the Top 3 OT and Top 2 WRs are gone by 11.  That would be Thomas, Wirfs, Wills, Jeudy, and Lamb.  BUT if all 5 of those guys are gone as well as Young, Okudah and Burrow, then that's 8 players already gone and another guy at a position we don't need is likely going to drop to the Jets.  THAT could enable the trade down with a team that wants to come up for Tua (if he comes out), Herbert, or even Simmons, Brown, etc.

It will be up to Joe Douglas to marry the Jets needs to the value on the board and to have the guts to "monetize" the pick if there isn't a player he wants when we're on the clock.  It's something that Macc obviously didn't do well at all.  He may have stuck too closely to the Draft Value Chart, unwilling to part with the #3 last year because he felt he wasn't getting enough in return.  I would have been okay taking less than the value chart indicates to move back in that situation, but that's just me.

I wish I could snap my fingers and turn the #11 pick into two picks in the late 1st round.  #11 is too early to take guys that I'd really like to grab such as Tyler Biadasz (#1 Center), OT Becton, or WRs like Shenault, Reagor, etc.

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Guy was a top OL prospect. Kind of stinks for the Jets. Think there are only like 3 OL man suitable for pick 11 now. 

bad from the aspect there are fewer top flight olinemen in the draft but at the same time maybe he wouldn't have been able to step right into . tackle spot.  the extra year might help be a starter for the next draft.

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

i wouldn't be surprised if the jets took a top wr or edge with the first pick and then used the 2-3's for oline.  round the rest of the line out in free agency.

If all the OT's aee gone by 11, take the best edge or WR. We need them about as badly as OT and we shouldn't  pass a stud at a position of need to take a lesser OL. There are three guys at WR who would be great, Lamb, Jeudy, and Ruggs who is drawing comparisons to Hill. I would be happy with any of them if we don't  get Wirfs.