Tua announcement (How it affects the draft)

JTJet

14 hours ago, varjet said:

When you look at at the 2018 draft, quarterbacks like Mayfield (in 2018), Darnold, Allen and obviously Lamar Jackson won their teams games.

Look at the Jets' roster-it is downright terrible.  The Jets won 7 games and are only drafting 11th.   They are not drafting higher because of Sam Darnold basically.  A decent QB will win you games.  if Darnold did not get mono the Jets were possibly sniffing the playoffs.   Possibly.

So I think any QB with the potential to be a decent NFL QB better than the guys like Trevor Siemian otherwise floating around will get drafted high.  That will push other players down to the Jets.  This makes sense, because the QB is the most important position on the field.  

Josh Allen may have had a not great playoff game, but he did help get the Bills to the playoffs, a place the Jets have not been in 10 years.  

Other thing I’ve noticed is that these rookie QBs no matter what potential they have need to go to a team already ready for them for immediate success. Everyone had Sam and Rosen ahead  of Lamar and Allen, yet in year two they both made it to the playoffs. Granted Lamar turned out to be the truth, but at the same time the situation these kids end up in is going to play well into their ability to push the team going forward. . 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Other thing I’ve noticed is that these rookie QBs no matter what potential they have need to go to a team already ready for them for immediate success. Everyone had Sam and Rosen ahead  of Lamar and Allen, yet in year two they both made it to the playoffs. Granted Lamar turned out to be the truth, but at the same time the situation these kids end up in is going to play well into their ability to push the team going forward. . 

Great point. As well as coaches.

17 hours ago, bitonti said:

I'll answer both of these at once the value of the WR crop will be depending on their 40 times. If Jeudy can run below 4.4 he won't be on the board at 10 - he will be an amari cooper like top 5 pick. I'm not convinced he's all that fast on track but we shall see

meanwhile Henry Ruggs ran a 4.25 last year at Bama pro day which is super elite speed if he can do it again he might be in play at 11 too 

I'm a stopwatch Hoe... sue me...   :)

none of this is to discuss whether they will be good players or not just what their values are on Day 1 of the NFL draft 

there are probably awesome prospects at WR throughout this draft 

but on surface I don't see a Julio Jones in this crop and that's what a blue chip WR looks like (at least in my book) 

all this is to say Amari Cooper may have been overdrafted top 5 

That has bit a lot of GMs in the a$$ when evaluating WRs.   Although I think Ruggs has a lot more to him than speed.  He may shock people with his vertical at the combine.  

26 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Daniel Jeremiah made a good point this season. He said if you have a good OL and just an average QB, and nothing else you’re still going to be a pretty decent team. 

Not knocking Lamar at all, but behind our OL and coaches trying to make him a pure pocket passer, he wouldn’t be doing what he’s doing.

9 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Daniel Jeremiah made a good point this season. He said if you have a good OL and just an average QB, and nothing else you’re still going to be a pretty decent team. 

Not knocking Lamar at all, but behind our OL and coaches trying to make him a pure pocket passer, he wouldn’t be doing what he’s doing.

Adaptability is rare in the NFL, most guys are stuck in the ‘system’ box. Ravens literally taught a master class on it last two years. Yes, having the horses to so do is also essential. 

14 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Adaptability is rare in the NFL, most guys are stuck in the ‘system’ box. Ravens literally taught a master class on it last two years. Yes, having the horses to so do is also essential. 

Agreed. A good OL provides you the ability to adapt. If your dudes up front are winning the LOS, you can have any kind of offense you want.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

If he comes out then he's trying to grab $$ and knows that now is his only shot.

If he goes back to Alabama then he's betting on himself and thinks he should be something like the 1st or 2nd pick in the Draft and won't accept going somewhere outside the Top 5 or 10 this year just due to injury.

Those are my thoughts.

So either way you believe he wants top dollar (high draft = better pay). Like every single NFL athlete I’ve ever known

36 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Jeremiah isn’t making any earth shattering point here. 

After several QB prospects light it up at the combine and the pundits and "expert analysts" get all hyperbolic, the value of the top tier guys goes sky high and invariably moves them towards the top of the draft.  This year will be no exception.  Burrow, Herbert, and Tua will be top 10 picks.  The only question left in my mind is which OL or WR that the Jets are targeting will fall to them at 11. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

seems like 11 is a good spot for a team in the high teens - 20's to move up for a QB - if both tackles are gone it could be interesting

This gets speculated about almost every year, but this year it's definitely true. The three teams picking after the Jets -the Raiders, Colts, and Bucs- could all be interested in a QB in this draft. Just need one of the top three QBs making it all the way to 11. 

• Upvote 2

I think it's pretty smart by Tua. Yesterday he was not overly optimistic in his presser on his health. If a team drafts him high he can be on the sidelines next season and just learn from a veteran. For example from Fitz who is a good teacher if the Fins draft him. But maybe Tua won't ever play in the NFL due to injury. If that's the case he's maybe taking lesser money but he's getting paid and even those parameters for newly drafted players is a lot of money. It could set him up for life. 

If it was only a hip injury you might have a point but he's always injured. I mean the guy had ankle surgery three weeks before destroying his hip.
I'm gonna predict a free fall come draft day. The only saving grace for him is the lack of good QB's in this draft.

Interesting. A guy who’s hurt a lot who is protected well. Not a good sign.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

On 1/7/2020 at 9:58 AM, ChuckkieB said:

After several QB prospects light it up at the combine and the pundits and "expert analysts" get all hyperbolic, the value of the top tier guys goes sky high and invariably moves them towards the top of the draft.  This year will be no exception.  Burrow, Herbert, and Tua will be top 10 picks.  The only question left in my mind is which OL or WR that the Jets are targeting will fall to them at 11. 

Wirfs will wreck the combine so probably Thomas at 11

Sign me up