The OFFICIAL Eric Bieniemy 2021 thread.

4 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I’m talking about the offensive assistants.

The only real success there is Pederson. And maybe I’m in the minority, but I don’t consider Pederson a great HC just because of that Superbowl win a few years ago. Guy coaches in the sh*ttiest division in pro football and still barely eeked his way into the playoffs this year.

Who’s the next biggest offensive success who studied under Andy Reid? Marty Mornhinweg?

As far as I know, Bieniemy has no playcalling experience outside of two years as the OC at Colorado and has been a career RB’s coach everywhere he’s been prior to 2018. His resume damn near mirrors Freddie Kitchens.

If Gase fails and we’re looking for another HC a year from now, then the dickbag Johnson Bros need to open up their collective purses and shoot for the stars.

FWIW the Eagles were injury riddled this year. Especially late in the season their offensive skill positions were the walking wounded. That they kept it relatively close vs Seattle last weekend with McCown - not too bad. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's kind of disgusting.  I mean think back to how many people here called Bowles a Cigar Store Indian like that was anything close to acceptable. 

Yup! 

WTF cares about the dumb s*** he did 20 years ago....let’s compare rap sheets with some of the most recent hires....funny how some of these events are dug up for some coaches and not others! 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

I'm not advocating for him, but coordinators under Reid have been very successful vs. coordinator under other coaches. There have been 5 coordinators who went on to be head coaches: John Harbaugh, Sean McDermott, Doug Pederson, Matt Nagy, and Brad Childress. 

Their record as head coaches: 240-170 5.85% and they've made the playoffs 62% of the time. They are 15-13 in the playoffs and 2 of them have won Super Bowls. 

Include Todd Bowles in this list and those numbers are far less inspiring.  He was one of Reid's DCs in Philly.

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Leslie Fraizer

Todd Bowles

Spags

Shurmer

Nagy

Childress

Yeah.  I'll pass.

Well then you're gonna have to pass on about 98+ % of potential coaches in the league based on your standards.  The only coaching tree in the NFL stronger than Reid's is Bill Parcell's.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh wow that changes everything

I mean I was a Bienemy guy last year, but I'd be lying to myself if I said that promoting a guy who has the same responsibilities as Dowell Loggains to Head Coach, from a tree that has far more fools gold on it than success, doesn't scare the sh*t outta me.

• Upvote 1

I mean I was a Bienemy guy last year, but I'd be lying to myself if I said that promoting a guy who has the same responsibilities as Dowell Loggains to Head Coach, from a tree that has far more fools gold on it than success, doesn't scare the sh*t outta me.

You have no insight into what Bieniemy's responsibilities are.  

And as I said above, no coaching tree in the NFL outside of Parcells' is stronger than Reid's.  There's a lot of "fool's gold" in the NFL.  There are few safer bets than a coach on the Reid tree. 

67 % of his assistants who went on to be HC's have made the playoffs.  Find me a better rate than from a long-time HC's tree (outside of Parcells) and I'll shut up. 

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Well then you're gonna have to pass on about 95+ % of potential coaches in the league based on your standards.  The only coaching tree in the NFL stronger than Reid's is Bill Parcell's.

Honestly, I'm not a big believer in hiring from trees in general.  Just hire the best guy, regardless of where he came from.  Getting infatuated with hiring from trees is dangerous, especially when your talking about coaches that don't hold any real responsibilities because the guy they're under won't relinquish that control. 

A year later with defenses adjusting to his offense and Nagy is under fire for being a horrendous play caller.  That would scare me if I were to look at Bienemy as a candidate.

• Sympathy 1

Honestly, I'm not a big believer in hiring from trees in general.  

Just about every OC/DC is on a major HC's tree somewhere.  It's unavoidable.  They all learned their philosophy from somebody.

Bieniemy is seemingly being groomed by Reid the same way Pederson was.  That's a candidate worth paying attention to.  

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You have no insight into what Bieniemy's responsibilities are.  

And as I said above, no coaching tree in the NFL outside of Parcells' is stronger than Reid's.  There's a lot of "fool's gold" in the NFL.  There are few safer bets than a coach on the Reid tree. 

67 % of his assistants who went on to be HC's have made the playoffs.  Find me a better rate than from a long-time HC's tree (outside of Parcells) and I'll shut up. 

From all the articles I've read about him, dating back to last year, he is responsible for play design, run game coordination, and gameplans, but not gameday playcalling.  That's Reid's job i.e. Loggains, Nagy, and John DeFillipo. 

Could he be a great candidate?  Yeah.  Do I think it's worth the risk, considering, in this hypothetical, Darnold would be in a critical time in his development?  I don't know.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

From all the articles I've read about him, dating back to last year, he is responsible for play design, run game coordination, and gameplans, but not gameday playcalling.  

Of the list of duties you just reeled off, the actual play-calling is probably the least important.  By the time you get to gameday, the hay is already in the barn.  Even gameflow scenarios are taken into account by then.  

If my choice is the big picture CEO type and the genius playcaller, I'll take the former.  

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Walsh 

Mostly I just want you to shut up 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Just about every OC/DC is on a major HC's tree somewhere.  It's unavoidable.  They all learned their philosophy from somebody.

Bieniemy is seemingly being groomed by Reid the same way Pederson was.  That's a candidate worth paying attention to.  

Agreed, but when paying attention to it I just think it's also important to focus on the Nagys, Shurmers, and Childress guys too, especially because they come from a side of the ball that Reid doesn't really relinquish control to.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Of the list of duties you just reeled off, the actual play-calling is probably the least important.  By the time you get to gameday, the hay is already in the barn.  Even gameflow scenarios are taken into account by then.  

If my choice is the big picture CEO type and the genius playcaller, I'll take the former.  

I can agree there.  The question to ask Bienemy would be whether or not he wants to be a CEO or genius playcaller.  Pederson delegates, Nagy does not.  I think that's where you can point out the critical differences in their success so far.

• Upvote 2

I can agree there.  The question to ask Bienemy would be whether or not he wants to be a CEO or genius playcaller.  Pederson delegates, Nagy does not.  I think that's where you can point out the critical differences in their success so far.

Yeah.  We don't know for sure that Bieniemy is good enough of a CEO type but he certainly seems to be putting in the work to become one.  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I like Bieniemy and think he deserves an opportunity.  But some teams are absolutely put off about his past and the idea of making him the guy in charge and the face of the franchise.  I've heard this more than once from more than one respected NFL insider/analyst.

This guy would fit right in with the cheats* after Belicheat and Cindy sneak out of town.

7 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I wouldn’t take any of Reid’s assistants.

It’s obvious that he runs the whole show on offense.

When was the last time you saw Andy Reid on the sideline without a playcall sheet in his hand? You’d have to go back to his days on Holmgren’s staff in Green Bay.

Reid's Coaching tree. 

Pat Shurmur, Giants (fired) 9-23 (.281)

Todd Bowles, Jets (fired) 26–41 (.388)

John Harbaugh, Ravens 128–81 (.612) Super Bowl

Sean McDermott, Bills 25–25 (.500)

Ron Rivera, Washington 79–67–1 (.541) Super Bowl Appearance

Steve Wilks, Cardinals (via Rivera, fired by Cardinals) 3–13 (.188)

Doug Pederson, Eagles 42–28 (.600) Super Bowl

Frank Reich, Colts (via Pederson) 18–16 (.529)

Matt Nagy, Bears 20–13 (.606)

Coaching tree stats

Combined record: 350-307-1

Playoff appearances: 19

Super Bowl titles: 2

Super Bowl Appearances: 3

This isnt bad at all. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Reid's Coaching tree. 

Pat Shurmur, Giants (fired) 9-23 (.281)

Todd Bowles, Jets (fired) 26–41 (.388)

John Harbaugh, Ravens 128–81 (.612) Super Bowl

Sean McDermott, Bills 25–25 (.500)

Ron Rivera, Washington 79–67–1 (.541) Super Bowl Appearance

Steve Wilks, Cardinals (via Rivera, fired by Cardinals) 3–13 (.188)

Doug Pederson, Eagles 42–28 (.600) Super Bowl

Frank Reich, Colts (via Pederson) 18–16 (.529)

Matt Nagy, Bears 20–13 (.606)

Coaching tree stats

Combined record: 350-307-1

Playoff appearances: 19

Super Bowl titles: 2

Super Bowl Appearances: 3

This isnt bad at all. 

When you factor in DC’s and ST coaches, sure.

When you look at the guys who came from his offensive staff, it’s not nearly as impressive.

Then it gets whittled down to guys like Doug Pederson, Matt Nagy and Marty Mornhinweg as the biggest successes.

And the luster has quickly worn off a guy like Nagy.

And Marty was a sh*t HC and mediocre at best OC.

42 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

When you factor in DC’s and ST coaches, sure.

When you look at the guys who came from his offensive staff, it’s not nearly as impressive.

Then it gets whittled down to guys like Doug Pederson, Matt Nagy and Marty Mornhinweg as the biggest successes.

And the luster has quickly worn off a guy like Nagy.

And Marty was a sh*t HC and mediocre at best OC.

Now that's Cherry picking, dont you think? You originally said that you wouldnt take "any" of his assistants. 

8 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I wouldn’t take any of Reid’s assistants.

It’s obvious that he runs the whole show on offense.

When was the last time you saw Andy Reid on the sideline without a playcall sheet in his hand? You’d have to go back to his days on Holmgren’s staff in Green Bay.

• Upvote 1