Penn State Hazing Accusation...

jetsons

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I never understood hazing at all.

The whole deal is "it happened to me so it should happen to the next group".  Thus the cycle is hard to break until someone blows the whistle, which is always tough to do.  

It happened in the military too for years.  Like the Air Force "Blood wings", which is simply cruel:

Upon receiving the Parachutist Badge, an instructor or comrade of the graduate places the pins of the badge pointing into the chest of the graduate. The badge is then slammed against the graduate's chest, resulting in the pins being driven into the flesh. If the graduation is affiliated with a particular unit number (unit 15, for example), then the pin will often be pounded deeper into the muscle the same number of times (15 times in this case).

I believe there were efforts to ban the practice a few years ago, but it may still go on.  

• Upvote 2

For what it's worth,  according to the reporting on this, Penn State Police and their Student Conduct Office investigated these allegations at the time and found nothing to substantiate the claims and pursue filing charges. The school also forwarded their findings to the Centre County District Attorney and they also decided not to pursue charges.

You would have to think that after the Sandusky story that PSU would be very sensitive to this exact kind of complaint and behavior.  This might very well be a very disgruntled athlete looking for some attention and a quick payday.  Interesting to see how this plays out.  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

He is, about the 15-32 range.

That's kind of what I've seen in some mocks so far. I looked today on Walter Football.....they had him 13th to Colts. Either way, it's something I wouldn't want to have to talk about at the combine interview session. Or in private meetings with teams.

1 hour ago, heymangold said:

Sounds like this is an ongoing issue:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/10/penn-state-fraternity-hazing-death

football player from Hunterdon central HS In NJ died due to similar stuff

The Piazza case is different entirely. he was not a member of the PSU football program. Frankly, the fraternity that was responsible for his death, and specifically some of the brothers involved there should be rotting in jail. They ignored a young man that was obviously flailing for his life, and basically ignored him. And then attempted to cover it up.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

The Piazza case is different entirely. he was not a member of the PSU football program. Frankly, the fraternity that was responsible for his death, and specifically some of the brothers involved there should be rotting in jail. They ignored a young man that was obviously flailing for his life, and basically ignored him. And then attempted to cover it up.

Still can't figure out how that one turned out the way it did.

1 hour ago, jetsons said:

Would you think differently if that was your kid going through that?

I think that I dont over react because someone makes an allegation. Because they claim it does not make it true. It also seems that whenever the words Penn State is attached to something, it creates media frenzy. Why are we not talking about Michigan State still, or Rutgers?

2 minutes ago, NYJ37/12 said:

I think that I dont over react because someone makes an allegation. Because they claim it does not make it true. It also seems that whenever the words Penn State is attached to something, it creates media frenzy. Why are we not talking about Michigan State still, or Rutgers?

I was responding to the "who cares" statement... I think if you were the parent of a child involved in this you would care.

9 minutes ago, section314 said:

Still can't figure out how that one turned out the way it did.

Oh, it is easy. Very strong ritualistic hazing by some fraternity brothers that are young, stupid and think that pouring alcohol down the gullet of a young men is acceptable.

That can be understood to be young and stupid. But then, when you see someone that you supposedly have a bond, a brotherhood as it were, struggling for his life, and failing to take the appropriate actions because you are afraid of repercussions to you, well that is downright criminal.

They watched this kid fall down the steps incoherent. Blunt force falls. They watched as his eyes rolled back in his head. They tried to tie a backpack on his back so he would not roll over and choke on his own vomit. They basically ignored a young man dying.

PSU certainly is a party atmosphere. I know, every college says that.  For me at PSU (early to mid 80's), I abhorred the fraternity system. I went there early in my college career, just out of curiosity. I hated it. What I witnessed were a bunch of entitled asses that seemed to travel in a pack in order to exhibit confidence and and want to fit in. 

As much as I was an immature azzhole, I realized even that level was something that I could not tolerate. 

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

Oh, it is easy. Very strong ritualistic hazing by some fraternity brothers that are young, stupid and think that pouring alcohol down the gullet of a young men is acceptable.

That can be understood to be young and stupid. But then, when you see someone that you supposedly have a bond, a brotherhood as it were, struggling for his life, and failing to take the appropriate actions because you are afraid of repercussions to you, well that is downright criminal.

They watched this kid fall down the steps incoherent. Blunt force falls. They watched as his eyes rolled back in his head. They tried to tie a backpack on his back so he would not roll over and choke on his own vomit. They basically ignored a young man dying.

PSU certainly is a party atmosphere. I know, every college says that.  For me at PSU (early to mid 80's), I abhorred the fraternity system. I went there early in my college career, just out of curiosity. I hated it. What I witnessed were a bunch of entitled asses that seemed to travel in a pack in order to exhibit confidence and and want to fit in. 

As much as I was an immature azzhole, I realized even that level was something that I could not tolerate. 

I agree with everything you say here. I was referring to the way the court case ended. I second your point about how those guys should be behind bars.

• Upvote 1