Jets begin contract extension talks with Jamal Adams

Rhg1084

24 minutes ago, JiF said:

Aaron Donald didn't make the playoffs this year, therefore, he's not valuable to the Rams.  Jalen Ramsey, also on the Rams (weird how they manage to have some superstars on 1 team), has a career winning % of like .400, therefore, he's not a valuable asset to any team he plays for.

Chandler Jones, has yet to make the playoffs since arriving in Arizona, therefore, his 15+ sacks a year is not valuable to the Cardinals.

TJ Watt, failed to make the playoffs, therefore he's not valuable to the Steelers. 

JNlogic baby!!!

Totally agree.  To correlate one player to the teams overall record or success is just nuts.  Overall balanced team = success.  

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Paying a SS big money is not wise cap allocation, paying Jamal is different IMO. The guy can literally play SS, FS, CB, LB, Edge. 

No DC in his right mind would give Jamal significant snaps at FS or CB.  SS and LB, yes.  

As for EDGE, when we used him in that way, it put extra strain on our already woeful secondary.  That's not sustainable.  Though using him there this year certainly helped up his trade value, so it had value.

• Upvote 2

Just now, BettyBoop said:

Totally agree.  To correlate one player to the teams overall record or success is just nuts.  Overall balanced team = success.  

And how does spending top defensive player money on Jamal, after already spending $17.5M per on Mosley, lead to a "balanced" team?

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And how does spending top defensive player money on Jamal, after already spending $17.5M per on Mosley, lead to a "balanced" team?

And on what planet can't you spend $17 on Mosley and spending top S money on Adams?  How does this lead to an "unbalanced" team, whatever that's supposed to mean?  

Whats with the over played hit to the cap the Adams detractors want to sell?  We cant sign Adams?  Really?  

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, the draft is dumb.  So smart.  

We don't know whether our GM is good or not.  But he has a 6-year deal here and you have to build through the draft.  And the downside of replacing Adams with a replacement-level SS free agent is not a steep decline for the defense/team.  It's just not.

Dont half quote me and leave out half of what I said try to spin some stupidity with me.  Go try that sh*t on someone else. 

18 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Aaron Donald has been to a Super Bowl.  Ramsey has been to an AFC Title game with Bortles as his QB.  Jamal hasn't even had a .500 season thru 3 years.

Chandler Jones was definitely overpaid.  That's why you generally shouldn't go after Patriots in free agency.  

All of the above missed the playoffs so they're not valuable in 2020.   Things change with time. 

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If JD is worth his salt, why not give him as many high picks as possible to best do his job?  Why should he tie his own hands behind his back when he doesn't have to?

And to put it another way, why does JD so badly need to overpay a Box Safety for the team to be good?

JD has 4 picks in the top 80, 5 in the top 110.   He's got plenty to work with.  Adams is more than a box safety.  

You suck at this. 

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

JD has 4 picks in the top 80, 5 in the top 110.   He's got plenty to work with.  Adams is more than a box safety.  

You suck at this. 

I'm talking 1st/2nd round.  Where you find your starting OT's.  You can't find those outside of the first 45 or so picks almost ever.  Just ask @Sperm Edwards.

I do agree that we can find a Center just about anywhere in those first few rounds, and maybe even in the mid-late rounds.  And we might find a starting G in the middle rounds.  But OT?  Nope.  And we need a new LT AND a new RT.  Someone needs to be groomed to replace Beachum, a below average LT who turns 31 in June.  

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

Dont half quote me and leave out half of what I said try to spin some stupidity with me.  Go try that sh*t on someone else. 

Fine.  Then don't act like a bunch of JN draftniks are the best source to determine whether trading Adams would be worthwhile.  Some JN draftniks are smart.  Most are dumb.  

Can’t believe that people would rather pay $90mm+ for 61 tackles and one garbage time pick than get the 17 pick to draft a high-end tackle and receiver for Sam Darnold. Maybe this is the new wave of football where it’s better to have 61 tackles and a pick instead of doing everything you can to support the quarterback with what limited resources you have to spare

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, they don't.  Jamal has always been a loser.  Those guys (especially Donald and Ramsey) have mostly been winners.  That's a pretty massive difference.

Adams is a loser, always has been and the others are winners?  LOL, stop already, Im embarrassed for you. 

• Sympathy 3

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Can’t believe that people would rather pay $90mm+ for 61 tackles and one garbage time pick than get the 17 pick to draft a high-end tackle and receiver for Sam Darnold. Maybe this is the new wave of football where it’s better to have 61 tackles and a pick instead of doing everything you can to support the quarterback with what limited resources you have to spare

NFL top player vs what if draft pick. 

Quality vs quantity. 

Risk vs reward. 

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Have some hope Tom.  70+ % of the board would trade Jamal straight up for Quenton Nelson.  They're SO CLOSE to getting it.  Baby steps.

22 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And how does trading a proven all-pro for the sake of draft picks ("draft pick lust") create a team?  Because Adams improves the entire secondary and makes players like Maulet and Bless better.  If they had even tier-2 CB the secondary would be one of the better ones in the league.  Because overpaying for Mosely does not justify trading your best defensive player.  Because in two years I'd rather have a signed Adams than a re-signed Mosely.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Have some hope Tom.  70+ % of the board would trade Jamal straight up for Quenton Nelson.  Baby steps.

It goes to show how people are misconstruing the Jamal Adams question: they’re treating is like we’re advocating cutting him or letting him walk as a free agent. There would be a significant and tangible return for moving him.

• Upvote 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

He’s never been a winner, however 

There are how many players that would be winners compared to those who aren't?  And out of all these "losers" none would be good additions to the team?  Is that the story we'll stick with?

4 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

And how does trading a proven all-pro for the sake of draft picks ("draft pick lust") create a team?  Because Adams improves the entire secondary and makes players like Maulet and Bless better.  

No, he doesn't.  When he roams the LOS and fails to get to the QB on pass plays, he puts added strain on the secondary.  

"Draft pick lust" isn't a thing.  It's not lust, it's the reality of the situation.  The draft is literally the only way to stock a team with young, cheap talent at premium positions.  I'm not saying you avoid paying ANYBODY who comes along and instead trade them for picks.  I've long been advocating bringing back Jenkins and Poole. 

But in this particular case, it makes perfect sense to trade away a guy we KNOW can't move the needle significantly for the chance to get players who CAN, while simultaneously avoiding paying said player top defensive player money he hasn't earned.  

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It goes to show how people are misconstruing the Jamal Adams question: they’re treating is like we’re advocating cutting him or letting him walk as a free agent. There would be a significant and tangible return for moving him.

Except it isn't for a tangible return, its for draft picks.  

You know, crap shoot return

A new player to complain about down the road

• Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, SAR I said:

He misunderstood and felt betrayed.  For about 3 days.  Then he snapped out of it, used it as motivation, and we went 5-0 in games he played the rest of the way.

I don't see Jamal Adams as a manipulative Darrelle Revis type, he's not a guy that's going to let down after he gets his money.  He's an All Pro and very proud of that fact.

Get onboard the 2020 Jets train or go root for the Bills already.

SAR I

Give me a break, go root for the bills?I'm an actual fan of the jets not just Gase and bad coaching. You can't have a team with that kind of attitude or players squaking for a whole host of reasons.

Adams got to go. I mean this basics man. 

Also I love how you only count certain games in every thing. It's silly.

• Upvote 1

I understand those who can justify trading Adams for 3+ picks in the 2020-21 first three rounds.  However, it's highly unlikely that is realistic.  For those who want to trade him for a first and a fourth round pick, that's just draft pick lusters who celebrate the Super Bowl on the last Thursday, Friday and Saturday in April.  

To trade Adams for a first and fourth means one of those picks will have to be used on a replacement for Adams.  Unless you're one of the knuckleheads who thinks anyone off the street can play SS because it's such a meaningless position.  It's not.  

For those who think you can't pay Adams, an all-pro, because Moseley (who played one meaningful game for the Jets) is making $17.5mm, well, you might want to read a book about binary thinking.  It's just not logical.

By 2021 Douglas will completely remake the team building around Adams on defense and Darnold on offense.  

1 minute ago, BettyBoop said:

To trade Adams for a first and fourth means one of those picks will have to be used on a replacement for Adams. 

No, it doesn't.  I listed off several viable SS free agent options earlier in the thread.  

We still have Marcus Maye.  We can survive just fine on defense with him and a replacement level SS. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Way to deflect.  I was showing you how he shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Ed Reed.  You got all triggered.  Fun stuff.  

I didn’t deflect anything..I’m responding directly to you and using what I suppose you call is your logic. Sam sucks too right? We should cut or trade him? We haven’t won anything those 2 years. 

You can keep going with your cute little quips and internet words..you just come off as a hater.

I didn’t say Jamal is better then or at Reeds level. I said he’s in the same mold. And at year 3 I’m not ready to give up on him. I think anyone that watches on Sunday’s wouldn’t either.

Do teams like the cowboys who are offering multiple high picks not value what Jamal brings to the field?

Insert cute way to end post to try and elicit a like or two. 

14 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

There are how many players that would be winners compared to those who aren't?  And out of all these "losers" none would be good additions to the team?  Is that the story we'll stick with?

Jamal gets labeled a “winner” and a “winning player” because he markets himself aggressively that way and because nothing he produces on the field is quantifiable, so his proponents have to resort to abstractions to justify rooting for him. Pat Mahomes is 24-7 as a starting quarterback in the league, but nobody calls him a “winner” because you don’t have to use buzzwords to discuss his greatness. Has anyone ever called Von Miller or JJ Watt a “winner” or a “winning player”? No. Because they don’t need fluffing to justify their significance. Jamal Adams is the homely girl with the “great personality.”

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Of course.  And why not give JD plenty of picks with which to stock the team with young, cheap talent at premium positions?

Because you don’t trade All-Pro talent at 24 years of age for unknown return. 

We need talent on this team. Badly. Adams is a proven commodity..the best at his position. Build around him. Why is this so hard to get on board with?

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, he doesn't.  When he roams the LOS and fails to get to the QB on pass plays, he puts added strain on the secondary.  

"Draft pick lust" isn't a thing.  It's not lust, it's the reality of the situation.  The draft is literally the only way to stock a team with young, cheap talent at premium positions.  I'm not saying you avoid paying ANYBODY who comes along and instead trade them for picks.  I've long been advocating bringing back Jenkins and Poole. 

But in this particular case, it makes perfect sense to trade away a guy we KNOW can't move the needle significantly for the chance to get players who CAN, while simultaneously avoiding paying said player top defensive player money he hasn't earned.  

It seems that you think Adams is just not a good player.  He had 6.5 sacks last year.  He did not put added strain on the secondary.  Look at how well the defense played last year with nobodies playing key positions.  That was because of Adams more than anyone else.  He is the only player on defense the opposing teams plan for.

To suggest that Adams can't "move the needle" is just ignoring what we saw last year.  That's fine, we can disagree on that.  So what team will trade high impact draft picks for someone who can't move the needle?  If you're suggesting that Douglas has a magic wand to turn fourth round picks into guys who can, well, we'll just have to wait and see on that.

I would love an additional first round pick to bolster the OL, but not at the expense of moving food from one side of the plate to the other.

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, it doesn't.  I listed off several viable SS free agent options earlier in the thread.  

We still have Marcus Maye.  We can survive just fine on defense with him and a replacement level SS. 

And Maulet and Bless at CB?  None of the guys you listed would have anything close to the impact Adams has on the defense.