Jets begin contract extension talks with Jamal Adams

Rhg1084

35 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Should be clarified at least once per page that, in fact, the Jets haven’t actually started negotiating an extension with Jamal Adams and this is just some sh*t he invented in his dim little head

But what happens to your little head if the Jets actually resign him?

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

But what happens to your little head if the Jets actually resign him?

Why are people so concerned with what Tom will do in that instance?  F**k that guy.

What you should really be concerned about is that our GM probably sucks and there is no hope for the future until the Johnson's sell the team.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Spoot-Face said:

Personally, I'm hoping for at least a 4 year extension.

I GUARANTEE you that, by then, Jamal Adams will have DOUBLED his career interception total.

I mean, the tears are welling up even as I think about now.

I mean, if we’re to believe Brady’s tweet, Jamal gets to face Jarrett Stidham twice next year!

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If we need an EDGE rusher to truly unleash Jamal, then Jamal really isn't worth that much.  I'd rather trade him and use the resources to get an EDGE and O-Linemen.  

I mean I think he's a difference maker already but I think we could see a special defense with an edge rusher. Moving Jamal would definitely help us rebuild quickly and I'm really not opposed to it. I just think you have to start retaining your own guys and to dismiss Jamal due to poor positional value probably is a bad look for the rest of the team.

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

Kind of nice that you guys are just coming right out and saying it now

I won't hide it haha I would understand a trade but man I really do want to keep him. It depends how confident Douglas is that we can rebuild through the draft or if he thinks we need more picks.

15 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I get where you're coming from, and I pretty much agree.  OTOH, the only time that you need to extend your young talent is when it is going to be cheaper than to let them play out their contract and pay them later.  You don't pay them what they would get on the free market.  Right now, they have him on the hook for 2020 and the 5th year option for 2021.  They should extend him now if they get a bargain (which will still be a whopping contract) but they can't act like he already hit the free market because Jerry Jones showed interest.

100%!

Theres always that race to get a deal done because someone else is going to get paid at his position and it’s going to drive up our cost. 

If it’s beneficial to the team and doesn’t put us in cap hell (reports look good on what our cap space is going to be) then he has to be extended. 

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

If you called the Chiefs and offered them Jamal Adams straight up for Pat Mahomes, do you think they’d entertain that offer? 

Not a chance..but that’s not the question I asked. The Chiefs are built to win..not JUST because of Pat. They’ve constructed a complete roster that got them to the SB. 

Everyone here seems to think Jamal is the reason we haven’t won any games. Do you think Mahomes, with the way our roster is constructed, makes any difference for us the past few years? 

A team with no offensive line and very limited skill position players? Or the horrid play calling of Gase last year?

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's less obvious to some that being an All-Pro at things that don't matter much means less than being an All-Pro at things that do matter.

Jamal = World's best VHS repairman

So if Jamal were ever to reach or approach the level of some of those legends we talked about earlier..you’re saying it wouldn’t matter and he wouldn’t have an impact?

21 minutes ago, InstantClassic said:

When in doubt, deflect from the facts and try and be funny.

There’s no point in engaging seriously with a guy proposing that a strong safety who had 61 tackles and one garbage time INT is the same as a QB who threw for over 4000 with 26 TDs and 5 INTs the year after throwing 50 TDs.  When one point of view is so absurdly baseless, where would we even begin?

31 minutes ago, InstantClassic said:

Everyone here seems to think Jamal is the reason we haven’t won any games.

Not one person has said this.

37 minutes ago, InstantClassic said:

Not a chance..but that’s not the question I asked. The Chiefs are built to win..not JUST because of Pat. They’ve constructed a complete roster that got them to the SB. 

Everyone here seems to think Jamal is the reason we haven’t won any games. Do you think Mahomes, with the way our roster is constructed, makes any difference for us the past few years? 

A team with no offensive line and very limited skill position players? Or the horrid play calling of Gase last year?

So, today, right now, you still think it was the right call to draft Jamal Adams over Mahomes, Watson, etc? It wasn’t even the right call to draft Jamal Adams over Tre’Davious White or TJ Watt.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

So, today, right now, you still think it was the right call to draft Jamal Adams over Mahomes, Watson, etc? It wasn’t even the right call to draft Jamal Adams over Tre’Davious White or TJ Watt.

I really don’t think guys are arguing that we shouldn’t have taken one of those QB’s in hindsight. It’s more that the Jets finally hit on a guy who is really good, and now we want to get rid of him before he even hits his prime.

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Newsflash:  Conklin has a low likelihood of hitting free agency.  There's absolutely no reason they should let him go.  And even if by some miracle they do, we're not the only team that will be going after him.

This idea that we'll rebuild the OL via free agency is a pipe dream.  Precious few quality OL reach free agency, and at least 2/3 of the rest of the league (many of which have as much cap room or more than us) go after them too.  Because just about everyone needs OL help.  

That's not what I posted. I never claimed they would utilize FA exclusively to get an OL. What I said was they should use both FA and the draft to rebuild the OL without trading Jamal Adams. I want JD to pursue Jack Conklin and reports seem to confirm that but I never said it was a given.

12 hours ago, Matt39 said:

At the end of the day Adams will be a business side/Johnson call. Nothing has changed.

Possibly but most cases where this was the obvious push, the Jets handed out some of the most ridiculous contracts in the history of this league to bozos who suck and were clearly just going to cash it in.  We can argue all day long about importance/impact/salary cap implications etc, but at least you're not going to get burned by Jamal.  He will continue to be who he is after a deal.  I'm very confident in that and that's actually a nice change for once when it comes to this franchise. 

56 minutes ago, section314 said:

I really don’t think guys are arguing that we shouldn’t have taken one of those QB’s in hindsight. It’s more that the Jets finally hit on a guy who is really good, and now we want to get rid of him before he even hits his prime.

I mean, literally on this page, someone argued that there would be no discernible difference to the Jets between Adams and Mahommes.

That said, the people who want to trade him believe a few, not so radical things:

1) Jamal Adams is a good football player but also overrated.  You can be both.

1a) In doing the things he does to get his reputation, it often weakens the secondary, by leaving more guys on an island or by leaving huge holes in the defense.  (e.g., the play where he ran down Jacksonville’s RB and stopped a TD, meant to show him in a positive light but also showed that we’re he playing safety instead of OLB, it would have been a 4 yard run)

2) Jamal Adams plays a position, strong safety, that you don’t want to invest big money into.

3) Jamal Adams presence hasn’t moved the needle towards a winning franchise.

4) The value Jamal Adams offers the 2020 and 2021 (and more?) Jets is less on the field at a high cap number than it is in trade for a pair of younger, cheaper, players at more impactful positions.

Optional Bonus:

5) Jamal Adams is a me-first whinny bitch baby who showed anyone who didn’t already know, his true colors at the trade deadline.

• WTF? 1

21 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It goes to show how people are misconstruing the Jamal Adams question: they’re treating is like we’re advocating cutting him or letting him walk as a free agent. There would be a significant and tangible return for moving him.

Of course. But none of those rumored offers are good enough. I said it once, I'll post it again... If the Jets were ever to move Adams, the asking price should be essentially TWO 1st round draft choices or some sort of equivalent to that. 

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

When you think about it, no player will ever make the Jets better

Not true.  Players who are cheap, preferably on their rookie deal, dont have a personality, play a premium position, make impact plays (but the kind of impact plays that matter), and are winners will make the Jets better. 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Not true.  Players who are cheap, preferably on their rookie deal, dont have a personality, play a premium position, make impact plays (but the kind of impact plays that matter), and are winners will make the Jets better. 

How about high priced  players that don’t retire halfway through the season? Like to see that change. 

5 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I mean, literally on this page, someone argued that there would be no discernible difference to the Jets between Adams and Mahommes.

That said, the people who want to trade him believe a few, not so radical things:

1) Jamal Adams is a good football player but also overrated.  You can be both.

1a) In doing the things he does to get his reputation, it often weakens the secondary, by leaving more guys on an island or by leaving huge holes in the defense.  (e.g., the play where he ran down Jacksonville’s RB and stopped a TD, meant to show him in a positive light but also showed that we’re he playing safety instead of OLB, it would have been a 4 yard run)

2) Jamal Adams plays a position, strong safety, that you don’t want to invest big money into.

3) Jamal Adams presence hasn’t moved the needle towards a winning franchise.

4) The value Jamal Adams offers the 2020 and 2021 (and more?) Jets is less on the field at a high cap number than it is in trade for a pair of younger, cheaper, players at more impactful positions.

Optional Bonus:

5) Jamal Adams is a me-first whinny bitch baby who showed anyone who didn’t already know, his true colors at the trade deadline.

Everyone of these points is totally bogus.  

The only one that is nice in theory but certainly not guaranteed is #4.  If you trade Jamal Adams and replace him with JAGs, it's a colossal mistake. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, JiF said:

Possibly but most cases where this was the obvious push, the Jets handed out some of the most ridiculous contracts in the history of this league to bozos who suck and were clearly just going to cash it in.  We can argue all day long about importance/impact/salary cap implications etc, but at least you're not going to get burned by Jamal.  He will continue to be who he is after a deal.  I'm very confident in that and that's actually a nice change for once when it comes to this franchise. 

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

How about high priced  players that don’t retire halfway through the season? Like to see that change. 

See my above post, Jamal aint going to mail it in after signing him.  That's not in his DNA.  He's a dog!