Jets begin contract extension talks with Jamal Adams

Rhg1084

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I am too.  That's why I want to trade Jamal, so we'll have more draft picks to rebuild the offense.

And meanwhile, if we were to trade him, its nice to know (at least to me) that there are several viable free agent Safeties out there we could pair with Maye.

To each their own I suppose!

I love his attitude. Even if Jamal a bit "chesty."  And I'd rather we win with him than without him.  

1 minute ago, pdxgreen said:

I love his attitude. Even if Jamal a bit "chesty."  And I'd rather we win with him than without him.  

What if we could win more without him than with him?  What say you then?

This putting Jamal over the jersey is strange stuff.  We haven't made the playoffs in a decade and Jamal hasn't exactly moved the needle any closer.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This putting Jamal over the jersey is strange stuff.  We haven't made the playoffs in a decade and Jamal hasn't exactly moved the needle any closer.

Putting Jamal over the jersey?  Jamal IS wearing the jersey!  If he isnt a building block... them who the hell is?  Some unknown draft pick to a position that you value more due tio analytical standards?   We haven't made the playoffs in a decade -- but if we won't keep some key players that understand how much breaking that dry spell means -- we won't get there either.  

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Slow down, nothing has been signed yet.  My guess is Douglas is going to make him a fair offer, Adams is going to rebuff him, and then we'll either be off and running towards:  1) A trade, 2) a holdout, and/or 3) An endgame where Adams ends up walking as a free agent at the end of his deal.  

Of course I could be wrong here, and JD could be a total dumbass who thinks you pay a SS $15M+ per season.  We'll see.  But either way it's not likely Adams was going to be willing to play for "just" $7M next season without causing some trouble.  

Such a positve outlook.  You are a true Jets fan

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Putting Jamal over the jersey?  Jamal IS wearing the jersey!  If he isnt a building block... them who the hell is?  Some mythical draft pick to a position that you value more due tio analytical standards?   We haven't made the playoffs in a decade -- but if we won't keep some kep players that understand how much breaking that dry spell means -- we won't get there either.  

Players come and go.  I am always willing to trade a player if it can make the team better.  A "mythical pick" spent on OL >>>> Spending $15M+ on a Box Safety for the future of the franchise.  People act like the Jets are always trying to get rid of "star" players.  They aren't.  This is a rare instance where the Jets have a fairly valuable trade chip that they can use to build in the areas that actually matter on the football field.

You do realize that paying Jamal top of the market D money would be indicative of WHY this team hasn't reached the postseason in a decade?  Macc drafted Jamal.  The same Macc that also overpaid CJ Mosley and handed Trumaine Johnson a massive contract.  Macc was terrible at his job and didn't understand simple concepts related to market value and positional importance.  Jamal was an example of the Jets' ineptitude more than it was an example of the Jets "getting things right" when put in context of the talent in that 2017 draft.

JD doubling down on Macc's mistake and making Jamal one of the richest defensive players in the league would just be a case of "Meet the New Boss, same as the Old Boss."

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Putting Jamal over the jersey?  Jamal IS wearing the jersey!  If he isnt a building block... them who the hell is?  Some unknown draft pick to a position that you value more due tio analytical standards?   We haven't made the playoffs in a decade -- but if we won't keep some kep players that understand how much breaking that dry spell means -- we won't get there either.  

players that understand how much breaking that dry spell means = How much discount?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Players come and go.  I am always willing to trade a player if it can make the team better.  A "mythical pick" spent on OL >>>> Spending $15M+ on a Box Safety for the future of the franchise.

You do realize that paying Jamal top of the market D money would be indicative of WHY this team hasn't reached the postseason in a decade?  Macc drafted Jamal.  Macc was terrible at his job and didn't understand market values or positional importance.  Jamal was an example of the Jets' ineptitude more than it was an example of the Jets "getting things right". 

JD doubling down on Macc's mistake would just be a case of "Meet the New Boss, same as the Old Boss."

Macc's mistake was drafting sh*t players and signing FA at key positions and then they underperformed.  Adams wasn't one of those mistakes.  You pay Adams now before his rookie contract runs out and recognize him as the leader he is.... I guarantee you he doesn't set the league standard.  And I just don't see a huge return for Adam's because once we blow negotiations with him, it'll get played out in the press and we'll lose more and moves bargaining power.  Jerry'll be like, "I got my own damn cap issues, but I'll take him off your hands for ___."

6 hours ago, bitonti said:

this franchise doesn't have much character but what little there is, is because of Jamal 

33 is the President 

So lets just throw the bank at him and be mediocre for another decade. We haven't won with him in 3 years, time to fix what needs to be fixed. I love him and he is a good player, but at that position and where this team is currently, the prudent thing to do is get what you can for him and move on!

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Such a positve outlook.  You are a true Jets fan

This is one the most faulty things people say on fan sites.

The thought that you have to clap like a trained seals and love every move a team makes or you are not a fan.

The reality is that the people that beef about teams and want them to win a championship are far better fans than the perpetually positive head in the sand types.

The 'non fans' of the team saw that guys like darron lee, hackenburg and our array of DTs was a bad thing.

The good fans loved all those moves.

I'm fine with people loving Adams and wanting him signed long term to a huge deal.  I think  it is a big mistake and we would be far better of parlaying a guy who is never going to be more impactful than he was last year (imo) into fixing more important areas of the team.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

We Also let Coles, Moss, Randy Thomas walk right out the door for nothing as well. 

Yes but then we made up for Coles by trading away our first round pick Santana Moss to recoup the player we let walk and then he held out because he wanted the Jets to pay him since we didn’t the first time...so we then paid him what he wanted

omg this is so masochistic 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

just wait until Year Six baby it's gonna be bonkers

I can’t wait..he should be in his prime at that time and hopefully he’s still a Jet. 

It’s comical that fans of a team devoid of playmakers all over the field want to get rid of the first sign of talent we’ve had in quite some time. You guys realize you build around all-pro players in their early 20’s right?

But this fan base would rather take a gamble and trade picks for an unknown commodity because he’s outplayed his contract and deserves to be paid amongst the best at his position? Or because he doesn’t score touchdowns? 

Im tired of rooting for a losing franchise..let’s take care of our young homegrown talent..and continue to build through the draft. 

Then you guys can bitch and moan to cut and trade any of them in 3 years because they’re REALLY good at their position. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He kind of has. Just not much help.

44 minutes ago, InstantClassic said:

I can’t wait..he should be in his prime at that time and hopefully he’s still a Jet. 

It’s comical that fans of a team devoid of playmakers all over the field want to get rid of the first sign of talent we’ve had in quite some time. You guys realize you build around all-pro players in their early 20’s right?

But this fan base would rather take a gamble and trade picks for an unknown commodity because he’s outplayed his contract and deserves to be paid amongst the best at his position? Or because he doesn’t score touchdowns? 

Im tired of rooting for a losing franchise..let’s take care of our young homegrown talent..and continue to build through the draft. 

Then you guys can bitch and moan to cut and trade any of them in 3 years because they’re REALLY good at their position. 

The argument that the team is devoid of talent, so we should celebrate Jamal Adams first quarter TFLs is really an indictment on how you people choose to overrate Jamal Adams. Yes, the team is devoid of talent so we need to overpay the one "talent" we have instead of trading him for a chance at more picks. If you believe Joe Douglas is capable, then you give him more picks to work with--you don't tie his hands by leaving those picks on the table and tying up a huge contract in a guy who produced 61 tackles and a garbage time INT in 14 games. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The argument that the team is devoid of talent, so we should celebrate Jamal Adams first quarter TFLs is really an indictment on how you people choose to overrate Jamal Adams. Yes, the team is devoid of talent so we need to overpay the one "talent" we have instead of trading him for a chance at more picks. If you believe Joe Douglas is capable, then you give him more picks to work with--you don't tie his hands by leaving those picks on the table and tying up a huge contract in a guy who produced 61 tackles and a garbage time INT in 14 games. 

How do you overpay the top player at his position in the league???

I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't really care about what happens with Jamal.

If Douglas decides to trade him, I think he needs to get atleast a 1st and a 3rd. Or a 1st and an o lineman.

If douglas decides to resign him, I'd be totally fine with that also. Jamal would be the first player to get a 2nd contract with the Jets that actually deserves it. And I have no fear of him cashing in and checking out (like Wilkerson did).

And that gets me thinking....

Who are the last 5 players that the jets drafted to receive a 2nd contract?

I could be wrong but I think it is...

Quincy enunwa

Brian winters

Mo Wilkerson

Mark Sanchez

Bilal powell 

• Upvote 2

Just now, InstantClassic said:

How do you overpay the top player at his position in the league???

Because his position is basically defunct, he is the top player in the league at that position. If you have the best fullback in your league, you don't pay that fullback Ezekiel Elliot money. If you want to say that Adams doesn't make a lot of plays against the pass because that's not what his position does, then you find other guys who play his position and you pay him like those guys, which is dumb anyway, and you can ask the Washington Redskins how psyched they are to be paying Landon Collins $70 mil. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

23 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If you believe Joe Douglas is capable, then you give him more picks to work with--you don't tie his hands by leaving those picks on the table and tying up a huge contract in a guy who produced 61 tackles and a garbage time INT in 14 games. 

Who exactly is tying his hands? He’s the one doing the negotiations and contract.