Jets begin contract extension talks with Jamal Adams

Rhg1084

We can argue if he is elite or not but for christs sake he is at least a VERY good player and hime grown talent something the jets never seem to secure. Being that we dont have any other players of his caliber why not extend him?

i think the guys is an immature ass but he is high energy and when he is hot he is red hot

• Upvote 1

A lot hinges on the return the Jets would receive. I don't totally remember, but didnt the Jets hold out for more than the 1st and 3rd the Cowboys offered at the trade deadline?

I like Jamal, but if the Jets could get a first and third (or better), I'd have to consider it.

I don't know how the draft will shake out, so this is a bit pie in the sky, but what if they could get Andrew Thomas at 11 and Jedrick Willis at 17. That makes it a lot easier to go WR in the second round, and C/OG in the third. Combine that with signing Brandon Shreff, and the line takes a giant leap, and wouldnt be super expensive. Would people turn that down because of Jamal Adams? I really dont think so.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/29/jamal-adams-ready-to-be-paid-what-hes-worth/

Jamal Adams ready to be paid what he’s worth

Charean Williams
18 hours ago

Jamal Adams wants a contract extension, and his representatives and the Jets have begun talks, the All-Pro safety said.

“They’ve talked about it, no numbers yet,” Adams said Wednesday, via Brian Costello of the New York Post. “I’d be lying if I said I don’t expect to be extended. I do because of not for what I’ve just done on the field, but even off the field for what I’ve done for the organization. I’ve done everything they’ve asked me to do. I’ve done it at a high level each and every year. I’ve proven that I’m the best safety doing it right now.”

Adams, 24, is eligible for a contract extension after completing his third season. With two Pro Bowls and an All-Pro nod, Adams has outplayed his rookie deal, which is set to pay him $3.5 million in 2020.

“I’m not trying to be paid just to be the highest-paid whatever,” Adams said. “I’m trying to get paid for my status and what I’ve done. That’s what I’m about.”

The Bears signed Eddie Jackson to a four-year, $58.4 million contract with $33 million guaranteed earlier this month. Jackson’s $14.6 average per year is the highest for a safety.

“I’m happy for him,” Adams said. “I told him after the Pro Bowl he deserved it. Like I said, I’m not competing to be the highest-paid safety. I’m competing within myself to get what I’m worth, my status. That’s what I’m about.”

Categories: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No DC in his right mind would give Jamal significant snaps at FS or CB.  SS and LB, yes.  

As for EDGE, when we used him in that way, it put extra strain on our already woeful secondary.  That's not sustainable.  Though using him there this year certainly helped up his trade value, so it had value.

I mean he'd play SS and LB most the time, I'm just saying he can flex over to those other spots to disguise a defense. Anything that makes the QB hold the ball a bit longer is going to help the defense. We just need an edge rusher to take advantage of it.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Did you watch any Jets games this year?  Jamal spent at least 30 % of his snaps near the LOS looking to tackle a ball-carrier rather than handling traditional Safety duties.  

And that's pretty much what Ss do.

If hes tackling a ball carrier at the LOS isn't that a whole lot more valuable than being in the secondary doing absolutely nothing while handling traditional safety duties in your defense?

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

When fantasy football tells you Adams isn't a good player, isn't worth signing, yes its for nerds and some shlt.  

No, it isn't fantasy football that tells me that Jamal Adams isn't worth 15M per.  It's his actually contribution.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

So it’s either keep Adams OR rebuild the offense? Why?

Because I value rebuilding the offense so much, and I value an elite Strong safety so little, that I'm willing to make that trade-off.

You're welcome to disagree.

12 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Extend Jamal AND fix the offense, Joe. It’s why you’re getting paid the big bucks.

Or trade Jamal, and have multiple additional draft assets and cap space with which to replace him with an average safety FA or mid-round draft pick and materially more young assets with which to rebuild the Offense around Sam.

But all told, I fully expect Douglas to go your way, not mine.  Jamal Adams will be the highest paid defender in the NFL soon and a Jet for a long while to come.

And I bet our offense is still sub 15 in 2020.  We'll see.

• Upvote 1

You know when that type haul DOES happen?    When your trading for one of the best players in the league.  Why is this so consistently hard for you to understand?  

Well what kind of haul are we talking? Didn’t Jalen Ramsey net two first rounders and a 4th?

I’m not realistically seeking that kind of return.

4 hours ago, Losmeister said:

all the games count. thats why we are out of playoff contention by november.

you may see them as some sor of sam darnold preschool, but they count...

Different rules for a rebuilding team with a new GM, new head coach, new coordinators, and a 21 year old quarterback.  This wasn't some playoff year, any faint hope of that went out the window when Darnold and Simean went out.

What mattered from there was not playoff contention but holding together as a team to prove something for next season.

A+

SAR I

3 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Those guys are going to get overpaid also you realize?

Not as significantly overpaid by percentage as I believe Adams would be.  Jenkins and Poole are under-the-radar types. 

Jenkins was a 3rd rounder that has panned out, but isn't a smashing success or breakout talent.  We'd get a slight "homegrown discount" out of him (not from Anderson, however, who would draw a lot more interest in free agency).  Also, there's a lot of EDGE rushers about to hit the market this year.  Jenkins won't be considered one of the top guys if he decided to walk.  

Poole is part of a talented group of young slot corners, which is a position that has been getting underpaid.   The market hasn't "caught up on" their "actual value" just yet.  Only Denver and a couple other teams have paid their slot corners what they're actually worth.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

Lol...so the entire premise of your argument is based on a GM needing to be f**king stupid.   That kind of ends the debate here doesn’t it?  

And why is that such a poor premise?  At least 1/3 of NFL GM's at any given time are f**king stupid.  We just have to hope Douglas isn't in that pool.  He already outsmarted Gettleman in the Leo trade, so there's some hope there.  

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It goes to show how people are misconstruing the Jamal Adams question: they’re treating is like we’re advocating cutting him or letting him walk as a free agent. There would be a significant and tangible return for moving him.

1. It sends a bad message to the team when you punt your best player and one who has done everything you've asked him to do.  We have a culture problem.  This would undo all the good we accomplished last year.  "If they wouldn't pay Jamal, they're not going to pay me either, so I'm not going to bust my ass for this team."  That's bad.

2. Jamal is an All Pro.  Best at his position in the entire league.  We need an elite secondary in today's NFL.  You don't build that by getting rid of your one elite player.

3. Jamal is a team leader.  See point #1.  There are elements of who he is as a player that's worth more than a contract.

4. Safety is a more versatile and important position than you give it credit for, especially for the Jets who customarily have a big fat gaping hole right behind the LB's and lack a pass rush.  He's a twofer type player.

5. Whatever Gregg Williams did with all those injuries to have us Top 5 in the NFL against the run absolutely was working and we want to repeat that again next year. 

6. Joe Douglas should be smart enough to build the OL, DB's, and WR's and find a K to get us to the playoffs next year without having to sacrifice our best player in the process.

SAR I

33 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’ll feel like when Idzik and Woody re-upped Rex: disappointed, but warmed by the knowledge that history will once again prove me correct in my omniscience 

^^^ proof Tom cares more about being right on the interwebz than the Jets success

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, InstantClassic said:

Because you don’t trade All-Pro talent at 24 years of age for unknown return. 

Who made that rule, exactly?

The Jaguars traded away Jalen Ramsey (1st-team All-Pro in 2017) at 25.  That should work out just fine.  It certainly hasn't worked out well thus far for the Rams who traded FOR him.  

• Post of the Week 1

53 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

No, it isn't fantasy football that tells me that Jamal Adams isn't worth 15M per.  It's his actually contribution.

Yeah and other than in fantasy you have no way of proving to anyone that your opinion is worth more than just about everyone elses opinion.  

Thats what all of this is, some opinions over the vast majorities opinions 

55 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Because I value rebuilding the offense so much, and I value an elite Strong safety so little, that I'm willing to make that trade-off.

You're welcome to disagree.

Or trade Jamal, and have multiple additional draft assets and cap space with which to replace him with an average safety FA or mid-round draft pick and materially more young assets with which to rebuild the Offense around Sam.

But all told, I fully expect Douglas to go your way, not mine.  Jamal Adams will be the highest paid defender in the NFL soon and a Jet for a long while to come.

And I bet our offense is still sub 15 in 2020.  We'll see.

its revis all over again...i really love if we built our def on players that and attack the qb and pressure. You dont build a def around a ******* safety any more than you build a off around a full back. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

It's also worth mentioning that the last time the Jets defense was very good, Jamal Adams' position was occupied by zero time pro bowler zero time all pro Jim Leonhard.

And what exactly does this prove?

That out of 11 positions the strengths of a defense can float around?

And when Pitt and Baltimore had their top Ds they had pro bowlers at S.

Means nothing 

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

I mean he'd play SS and LB most the time, I'm just saying he can flex over to those other spots to disguise a defense. Anything that makes the QB hold the ball a bit longer is going to help the defense. We just need an edge rusher to take advantage of it.

If we need an EDGE rusher to truly unleash Jamal, then Jamal really isn't worth that much.  I'd rather trade him and use the resources to get an EDGE and O-Linemen.  

• Upvote 1

Crazy how polarizing Adams is. While I’m not the least bit excited about the Jets having the highest paid SS in the league, I do recognize that he’s a great player and a total defender. The guy’s an all pro, and if the Jets trade him they need to get real value in return. And by real value, I mean a good+ NFL lineman plus a first round pick. This first & third stuff doesn’t do it for me. Draft picks are crapshoots. I want at least one guaranteed starter at a position of dire need if they’re going to unload their lone all pro in just about forever. 

• Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Give me a break, go root for the bills?I'm an actual fan of the jets not just Gase and bad coaching. You can't have a team with that kind of attitude or players squaking for a whole host of reasons.

That's today's NFL.  Players squawking and, most, manipulating their way to another team.  Jamal was upset because he cares passionately about the team, felt betrayed.  He got over it and played well.  We were 5-0 in the second half of the season before/after Jamal's injury.

3 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Also I love how you only count certain games in every thing. It's silly.

When talking about Sam Darnold or Jamal Adams, not only can you see their value by looking at the records when each was playing, but also see what it looked like when they didn't.

Healthy Sam = 7-5
Without Sam Jets = 0-4

Healthy Sam + Jamal = 6-3
Without Jamal Jets = 1-2

Don't know about you, but I don't think 1-6 without our best O and D players is a good thing.

SAR I

9 minutes ago, slats said:

Crazy how polarizing Adams is. While I’m not the least bit excited about the Jets having the highest paid SS in the league, I do recognize that he’s a great player and a total defender. The guy’s an all pro, and if the Jets trade him they need to get real value in return. And by real value, I mean a good+ NFL lineman plus a first round pick. This first & third stuff doesn’t do it for me. Draft picks are crapshoots. I want at least one guaranteed starter at a position of dire need if they’re going to unload their lone all pro in just about forever. 

Even if true, you can't make to the final table without gambling.  You HAVE to build through the draft.  There is no alternative.  Especially not for a team that can't attract quality free agents at the moment, and don't have nearly as much cap space (at least not when compared to other teams) as most are projecting anyways.

19 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Who made that rule, exactly?

The Jaguars traded away Jalen Ramsey (1st-team All-Pro in 2017) at 25.  That should work out just fine.  It certainly hasn't worked out well thus far for the Rams who traded FOR him.  

It should work out fine? The Jaguars were trash this year. Not to mention Jalen is a head case. They dealt him because they didn’t want to deal with his attitude and antics anymore. You’re dealing in hypotheticals..I just know what I actually see on the field. 

Jamal is a baller...the best player we’ve drafted since Revis. 

You’re too busy playing Madden draft scenarios. I want this team to win. You need good players to do that. Young talent..let alone All-Pros..need to be extended. Jamal is part of the solution, not the problem. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Even if true, you can't make to the final table without gambling.  You HAVE to build through the draft.  There is no alternative.  Especially not for a team that can't attract quality free agents at the moment, and don't have nearly as much cap space (at least not when compared to other teams) as most are projecting anyways.

I like draft picks. If Joe Douglas’ first move in the draft is to trade down and collect more picks, I’ll be thrilled. 

But if you’re talking about trading the team’s lone all pro, you need something concrete back. I draw that line at a good+ starter. I prefer OL, but I’d probably accept a CB. Third round picks look nice when we’re talking about college football’s top 100 players, but they are absolutely no guarantee. 

You're looking to trade a known commodity here for lottery tickets and letting RA go for nothing (Jets are unlikely to qualify for comp picks next year) elsewhere on the site. On a team really lacking talent, you can’t just let it go because the guys in question aren’t ideal. 

• Upvote 1