Jets begin contract extension talks with Jamal Adams

Rhg1084

9 minutes ago, InstantClassic said:

It should work out fine? The Jaguars were trash this year. Not to mention Jalen is a head case. They dealt him because they didn’t want to deal with his attitude and antics anymore. You’re dealing in hypotheticals..I just know what I actually see on the field. 

Jamal is a baller...the best player we’ve drafted since Revis. 

You’re too busy playing Madden draft scenarios. I want this team to win. You need good players to do that. Young talent..let alone All-Pros..need to be extended. Jamal is part of the solution, not the problem. 

So you think the Rams got the better end of that trade?  Two first rounders and a 4th gone, AND he's due to hit free agency after 2020, and the Rams got the better end?  

giphy.gif

16 minutes ago, InstantClassic said:

I want this team to win. You need good players to do that. Young talent..let alone All-Pros..need to be extended. Jamal is part of the solution, not the problem. 

And yet, Jamal Adams has never won... at any level.  Is it possible, despite his accolades, that maybe he's not the key to success?

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

17 minutes ago, InstantClassic said:

If Jamal were really a baller, people wouldn't need to use the word "baller" to describe him.  It would be obvious.  It's not.  No one uses a word like "baller" to describe Von Miller, Khalil Mack or Aaron Donald.  People call them things like "lock HOFers".  

And I actually agree that he's probably the best player we've drafted since Revis.  But that's a statement on how bad the drafts have been for over a decade, not really a statement on him being an awesome pick.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So you think the Rams got the better end of that trade?  Two first rounders and a 4th gone, AND he's due to hit free agency after 2020, and the Rams got the better end?  

giphy.gif

3rd in the NFC West and no playoffs and now not having two 1st rounders isn't a win, you say?

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, InstantClassic said:

It should work out fine? The Jaguars were trash this year. Not to mention Jalen is a head case. They dealt him because they didn’t want to deal with his attitude and antics anymore. You’re dealing in hypotheticals..I just know what I actually see on the field. 

You’re too busy playing Madden draft scenarios. I want this team to win. You need good players to do that. Young talent..let alone All-Pros..need to be extended. Jamal is part of the solution, not the problem. 

I get where you're coming from, and I pretty much agree.  OTOH, the only time that you need to extend your young talent is when it is going to be cheaper than to let them play out their contract and pay them later.  You don't pay them what they would get on the free market.  Right now, they have him on the hook for 2020 and the 5th year option for 2021.  They should extend him now if they get a bargain (which will still be a whopping contract) but they can't act like he already hit the free market because Jerry Jones showed interest.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And I actually agree that he's probably the best player we've drafted since Revis.  But that's a statement on how bad the drafts have been for over a decade, not really a statement on him being an awesome pick.  

The ole Chad Pennington is the best QB we've had since Namath.

The irony is that the best player we've drafted since Revis may also be the worst draft pick we've made since well, cue SAR's video.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

3 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

And yet, Jamal Adams has never won... at any level.  Is it possible, despite his accolades, that maybe he's not the key to success?

What do you mean Adams never won at any level???  LSU was pretty good when he was there.  What did Dan Marino win?  What did Dan Fouts win?  What has Philip Rivers won?  What did Archie Manning win?

The Jets not winning is not on Jamal.  If everyone on the Jets played at Adams' level, they would be playing in Miami this week.

7 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

The irony is that the best player we've drafted since Revis may also be the worst draft pick we've made since well, cue SAR's video.

@Jets723's confusion to your post is classic JN.  Most of this board can't understand how a good player can also be a bad pick.  

Just now, BettyBoop said:

What do you mean Adams never won at any level???  LSU was pretty good when he was there.  What did Dan Marino win?  What did Dan Fouts win?  What has Philip Rivers won?  What did Archie Manning win?

The Jets not winning is not on Jamal.  If everyone on the Jets played at Adams' level, they would be playing in Miami this week.

Yes, I'm sure 11 Jamal Adams' could slow down Pat Mahomes.  

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I get where you're coming from, and I pretty much agree.  OTOH, the only time that you need to extend your young talent is when it is going to be cheaper than to let them play out their contract and pay them later.  You don't pay them what they would get on the free market.  Right now, they have him on the hook for 2020 and the 5th year option for 2021.  They should extend him now if they get a bargain (which will still be a whopping contract) but they can't act like he already hit the free market because Jerry Jones showed interest.

OTOH, if you pay Jamal now he would be underpaid for the last two years of his new contract, especially if you factor in the new CBA.  It's always a balancing act.

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The bargain is usually doing it sooner then later no? Considering every next contract is bigger then the next. And what if he’s all pro and pro bowl again the next two years. I’m sure that drives the price up more as well. 

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

OK fine.  Pat Mahomes is worth like 4 Jamal Adams', not 11.  

You may be right.  And if the Chiefs were to trade Mahomes they would get 12 first round picks for him.  If Jamal is worth 4/11th of Mahomes, Adams would fetch 4+ first round picks.  In that case, I agree we should trade him.  But for a first and a fourth (or even third), no way.

But your responses are not based on the return you can get for Jamal, rather your dislike of him and probably, by extension, your dislike (and everyone's dislike) of Mac. 

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

@Jets723's confusion to your post is classic JN.  Most of this board can't understand how a good player can also be a bad pick.  

I mean I’m not even a big Jamal fan.  However I think he is a bigtime player.  Part of it is because we drafted the QB I wanted but Adams despite me not being a big fan of his does like his talent.  I’m not against trading him but it would have to be a bigtime offer

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

It's also worth mentioning that the last time the Jets defense was very good, Jamal Adams' position was occupied by zero time pro bowler zero time all pro Jim Leonhard.

Also fun fact, last time the Jets offense was good, Sam Darnolds position was occupied by zero time pro bowler zero time all pro Mark Sanchez. 

Animated GIF

• Sympathy 1

1.  Jamal Adams is a pro-bowl player.  Doesn't matter if you don't like him, he has earned that moniker.

2. He didn't get to choose where he got picked.  Its not his fault our team took a safety at #6 when we needed a QB.

3. He is a vocal leader.

4. He is ALSO a safety; a position you do not pay top dollar for, unless you are either Ronnie Lott or Troy Polamalu.  He is neither.

5. CB's and Edge Rushers have FAR more influence regarding a successful defense....of which, we have neither.

Here is where the debate is:      What makes this team BETTER:

A. Handing Jamal Adams $12-15 million a year for the next five years, knowing we have to pay Sam soon

B. Getting a capable safety, not of Adams skillset, but decent at a price half that of Adams, and then have potentially two high draft picks this year to help rebuild, and have a few million in the koffers to pay our starting franchise QB in about 2 years?

• Upvote 1

Just now, CanadaSteve said:

1.  Jamal Adams is a pro-bowl player.  Doesn't matter if you don't like him, he has earned that moniker.

2. He didn't get to choose where he got picked.  Its not his fault our team took a safety at #6 when we needed a QB.

3. He is a vocal leader.

4. He is ALSO a safety; a position you do not pay top dollar for, unless you are either Ronnie Lott or Troy Polamalu.  He is neither.

5. CB's and Edge Rushers have FAR more influence regarding a successful defense....of which, we have neither.

A. Handing Jamal Adams $12-15 million a year for the next five years, knowing we have to pay Sam soon

B. Getting a capable safety, not of Adams skillset, but decent at a price half that of Adams, and then have potentially two high draft picks this year to help rebuild, and have a few million in the koffers to pay our starting franchise QB in about 2 years?

Good Post.  Like I mentioned in an earlier post I am not a Jamal fan BUT I respect his talent.  The issue like you said is how far we go with a extension.  If Jamal doesn’t get crazy and accept a fair offer then I have no issue with it.  Obviously the most important thing going forward is building around Sam especially around the oline.  

7 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

3. He is a vocal leader.

Every year we think this guy is so over compensated and every year there is a guy that is crying because his mega deal he signed two years ago is a shadow of the deals that are currently being done. By the time we have to sign Sam, Jamals deal will be a minor player if that at all. 

39 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

3. He is a vocal leader.

to me it’s just a matter if the trade compensation is worth it or not. How many picks or players will it be worth losing him over?

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

The Jets contribute more than their fair share to the list of life's little ironies. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

3. He is a vocal leader.

It's also possible that we use that 12 million on a player or two that turn out to be nothing special and we get to watch Adams to to pro bowl after pro bowl with another team. 

As for Darnold, there is always enough money to pay a franchise QB. It's the other positions that may, or may not suffer. 

Making this a choice between Adams and Darnold is extremely misleading.

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

3. He is a vocal leader.

giphy.gifsource.gif

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

How exactly can Tom help the Jets succeed?

We haven't made the playoffs since 2010.  The Jets are lucky to have fans like us at all.  

Even Tom laughed at this joke.  My god man.  lol  I love when you go complete lunatic but loosen up a bit.