Jets begin contract extension talks with Jamal Adams

Rhg1084

6 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Jamal has been the best player on our team. Because you value another position over the position you think Jamal plays does not mean we should not resign the talent on our team. It is not like we have been hitting homeruns in the draft and have lots of difficult decisons to make here...this one is a no brainier. Would you rather us shovel money at players other teams did not want to resign?

Yes, that's exactly what we should be doing.  Because he doesn't move the needle enough to justify $15M+ per season.  

And no, I'm not looking to immediately turn around and spend that money on FA's.  Give me the draft capital to start, then later on use that money on FA's once we've established a core of talent at premium positions.

In the meantime, we should absolutely not be locking in to building our roster around an ILB and SS.  That's just poor roster construction.

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The argument that the team is devoid of talent, so we should celebrate Jamal Adams first quarter TFLs is really an indictment on how you people choose to overrate Jamal Adams. Yes, the team is devoid of talent so we need to overpay the one "talent" we have instead of trading him for a chance at more picks. If you believe Joe Douglas is capable, then you give him more picks to work with--you don't tie his hands by leaving those picks on the table and tying up a huge contract in a guy who produced 61 tackles and a garbage time INT in 14 games. 

I think the goal is to lead the league in guys who “do the things that don’t show up in the stat sheet.”  Cause fantasy football is for nerds and some sh*t.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And at the trade deadline, he was texting Ryan Clark about how he'd love to play for Dallas.  Something that gets swept under the rug around here for some reason. 

I guess i just find it funny that some people think he'll give a discount as he's "committed to winning" - a discount to a team that doesn't win. ;-)

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

So?  You’re not having to pay any of the players you draft this year until 4 years from now.  Adams money will be done by then.  Again, how exactly is paying Adams going to prevent the Jets from improving the offense?  It’s silly.   How are you giving up draft capital exactly?  You’re still under this assumption there is some big trade market for Jamal.  

Yes, I'm assuming that the same guy people are willing to give $15M+ per has a trade market.  

Do you realize how that sounds to suggest otherwise?  That we should overpay the same guy for which there's not a significant trade market?  If true, what does that tell you about Adams' worth?  

As for the first part of your post, you're assuming we won't be trying to pay someone over the next 4 years.  Once we establish a core of homegrown talent, that's when free agents might be more interested in coming here.  In no way am I suggesting we'll end up sitting on the money we save on Jamal.  It's just that we won't be spending that right away.

Also, we're going to have to pay Darnold eventually, no?  As early as 2021, no?  That's well within the 4-year window you just established.  There's lots of places where we're going to need the money that would be devoted to Adams.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

His team finished 6-2 and Jamal is personally 5-0 in his last 5 games.  

So he don’t need no trade to find a winning team.  

SAR I

the jet math...    dont count the bad games...

sam darnold completion percentage on his completions is 100%!!! wwot woot

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, I'm assuming that the same guy people are willing to give $15M+ per has a trade market.  

Do you realize how that sounds to suggest otherwise?  That we should overpay the same guy for which there's not a significant trade market?  If true, what does that tell you about Adams' worth?  

As for the first part of your post, you're assuming we won't be trying to pay someone over the next 4 years.  Once we establish a core of homegrown talent, that's when free agents might be more interested in coming here.  In no way am I suggesting we'll end up sitting on the money we save on Jamal.  It's just that we won't be spending that right away.

Also, we're going to have to pay Darnold eventually, no?  As early as 2021, no?  That's well within the 4-year window you just established.  There's lots of places where we're going to need the money that would be devoted to Adams.

Oh boy.  You’re worried about paying talent that isnt even on the roster 4 years from now?   I think you’ve come down with Adams Derangement Syndrome.   

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Oh boy.  You’re worried about paying talent that isnt even on the roster 4 years from now?   I think you’ve come down with Adams Derangement Syndrome.   

What?  I'm talking about 1-2 years from now.  You know, when we maybe start going after FA's and have to pay Darnold.  Did you even read the post?

This unwillingness for Jets fans and the Jets front office to delay gratification in the hopes of building a perennial contender is ridiculous.  And it's how we got into trouble from 2011-present.

• Upvote 1

Yes, that's exactly what we should be doing.  Because he doesn't move the needle enough to justify $15M+ per season.  
And no, I'm not looking to immediately turn around and spend that money on FA's.  Give me the draft capital to start, then later on use that money on FA's once we've established a core of talent at premium positions.
In the meantime, we should absolutely not be locking in to building our roster around an ILB and SS.  That's just poor roster construction.

Your argument doesn't even make sense. We have to spend money in free agency it is not an option in order to do that we must do it before the draft otherwise you are paying starter money to backup players.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

the jet math...    dont count the bad games...

The SOJF math....count the games with Luke Falk and Mono Sam as if they are indicators of the coaching staff’s ability and the team’s 2020 potential...

SAR I

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

What?  I'm talking about 1-2 years from now.  You know, when we maybe start going after FA's and have to pay Darnold.  Did you even read the post?

This unwillingness for Jets fans and the Jets front office to delay gratification in the hopes of building a perennial contender is ridiculous.  And it's how we got into trouble from 2011-present.

Ok, so let’s play your game.  In 2 years the salary cap will be approximately $225 million (probably low estimate considering the new CBA will most likely give the players a larger piece of the revenue pie).   Let’s say Jamal accounts for $15 million per year.  According to you, someone who accounts for only 6.5% of the total cap is going be this major hinderance to signing other players?   Come on, you are smarter than this.  

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The SOJF math....count the games with Luke Falk and Mono Sam as if they are indicators of the coaching staff’s ability and the team’s 2020 potential...

SAR I

all the games count. thats why we are out of playoff contention by november.

you may see them as some sor of sam darnold preschool, but they count...

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Does anyone right now "move the needle" on this team? It's hard to state that the games we won were because of a certain set of players and not the others.

Can you list which players won the 7 games for us, and which did not? Because most of those same players also lost the 9 games, or at least most of them.

2 hours ago, heymangold said:

Have you seen the text messages?  Where’s the proof it’s actually happened? And if you thought you were safe in your job and they talked about moving you, you’d be pissed too, no?  Everyone acts like Jamal is the only guy that has done this before.  He hasn’t held out, missed practices or anything along those lines. 

Jamal refused to meet with Gase or Douglas after the trade deadline, because it "wasn't the right time yet". As far as being upset he didn't go to Dallas, I think there is part of that that is true. We'll never actually know but put yourself in his shoes, it's not too far of a leap.

Paying a SS big money is not wise cap allocation, paying Jamal is different IMO. The guy can literally play SS, FS, CB, LB, Edge. He's a Swiss army knife that forces the QB to take into account where he's is lining up. He's the first player since Mangold that I can honestly say I'm proud he's a Jet.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm curious to see what Sam will get. Mahomes too for that matter. If I were Mahomes I'd ink my $200m deal and then make sure there is a player opt out clause after the 2020 season. Allows him the security of a long term deal while being able to take advantage of the new CBA.

Does Sam get more than Mahomes just because he's the next man up or will he get paid as say a top 5 QB even if the stats aren't quite there yet? We probably need to assume it will be a +$200m contract. The only players really locked in for us would be Sam, Jamal, and Mosley and even then there may only be about a 1 year overlap with Mosley. We will just have to sit out FA most likely, which really wouldn't be a terrible thing.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Ok, so let’s play your game.  In 2 years the salary cap will be approximately $225 million (probably low estimate considering the new CBA will most likely give the players a larger piece of the revenue pie).   Let’s say Jamal accounts for $15 million per year.  According to you, someone who accounts for only 6.5% of the total cap is going be this major hinderance to signing other players?   Come on, you are smarter than this.  

That's the mind numbing part about this whole scenario.  If we really think Joe Douglas is the answer, this isnt even remotely challenging for a GM worth his salt.  You can easily pay Jamal Adams and still build an incredible roster around Sam Darnold.  The idea that doing one means you cant do the other is literally straight stupidity.  I've provided the data before 7 of the 10 highest paid safeties in the league, made the playoffs.  Those teams are perennial playoff teams with superstars all over their roster on both sides of the ball.  Those superstars, cost money for their services.  Yet, somehow those teams manage to make the playoffs every single year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

43 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Reggie Nelson was an All-Pro once too.  As were Orlando Scandrick, Dion Lewis, Jay Ajayi, Vincent Jackson, Sean Smith, Aldon Smith, Alec Ogletree and Mike Tolbert (2x).

Reed was a winner, with 15 playoff games and a Super Bowl ring under his belt.  He also has 9 playoff INTs and a TD. 

Adams hasn't won a thing in his life.

??

Yeah, you’re right. Let’s trade our two time Pro Bowl All Pro 24 year old best player at his position player because “he” hasn’t won anything in 3 years. 

Darnold hasn’t won anything in two years..we should probably ship him off too. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

That's the mind numbing part about this whole scenario.  If we really think Joe Douglas is the answer, this isnt even remotely challenging for a GM worth his salt.  You can easily pay Jamal Adams and still build an incredible roster around Sam Darnold.  The idea that doing one means you cant do the other is literally straight stupidity.  I've provided the data before 7 of the 10 highest paid safeties in the league, made the playoffs.  Those teams are perennial playoff teams with superstars all over their roster on both sides of the ball.  Those superstars, cost money for their services.  Yet, somehow those teams manage to make the playoffs every single year. 

Agreed.  Especially when, other than Sam, there isn’t one other player on this roster to worry about paying.  You still have 93.5% of the cap to work with...Lol 

2 minutes ago, InstantClassic said:

??

Yeah, you’re right. Let’s trade our two time Pro Bowl All Pro 24 year old best player at his position player because “he” hasn’t won anything in 3 years. 

Aaron Donald didn't make the playoffs this year, therefore, he's not valuable to the Rams.  Jalen Ramsey, also on the Rams (weird how they manage to have some superstars on 1 team), has a career winning % of like .400, therefore, he's not a valuable asset to any team he plays for.

Chandler Jones, has yet to make the playoffs since arriving in Arizona, therefore, his 15+ sacks a year is not valuable to the Cardinals.

TJ Watt, failed to make the playoffs, therefore he's not valuable to the Steelers. 

JNlogic baby!!!

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, InstantClassic said:

??

Way to deflect.  I was showing you how he shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Ed Reed.  You got all triggered.  Fun stuff.  

5 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.  Especially when, other than Sam, there isn’t one other player on this roster to worry about paying.  You still have 93.5% of the cap to work with...Lol 

No doubt.  And the funny thing about this idea, is the true drafnik freaks out there are all pretty much against this idea.  I love the draft as much as anyone and want as many picks as possible but the idea that trading one of the best players in Football for a future "what if", is dumb.  So dumb.  That said, you take a haul if offered but that's not happening.  Why would any team trade a haul for a non-impact/not one of the better players in the NFL? 

It's entirely possible the Jets draft Dee Milliner and Sheldon Richardson all over again and boy will that be awesome!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

First off the post I responded to was very dark and that has been how Jet fans have reacted to everything this team does. No other team universally  boo's every draft pick ever made. 

All I read is how JD is going to save this team so the first major thing he does gets booed. Very Jetsy. 

Still waiting for a good draft.  I used to anticipate the draft, now I just expect s#$% and the previous FO's NEVER disappointed.  I hope this changes.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

How do you get 93.5 % out of that?  Mosley makes $17.5-18.5M against the cap over the next 4 years, and we can't cut/trade him until after the 2021 season, at earliest.  

Plus we have to make decisions on long-term deals for the likes of Robby Anderson, Jenkins, Poole, etc and perhaps a shorter term deal for Beachum.  

Our cap situation isn't bad, but it doesn't give us an excuse to make it rain.  

At the end of 2020, you have to assume Trumaine Johnsons cap hit ($17MM) will be off the books.  Likely Henry Anderson's $9MM.  Depending on what he does this season, Leveon Bell's $13MM could be gone too.  Good chance we find a way to get out of Enunwa's $9MM contract too.  Sam is on a rookie deal for 2 more seasons, plus the 5th year option.  He won't have to be paid until 2023.  We can afford to keep Adams and continue to build the roster this year and in the future.

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

It's entirely possible the Jets draft Dee Milliner and Sheldon Richardson all over again and boy will that be awesome!

Yes, the draft is dumb.  So smart.  

We don't know whether our GM is good or not.  But he has a 6-year deal here and you have to build through the draft.  And the downside of replacing Adams with a replacement-level SS free agent is not a steep decline for the defense/team.  It's just not.

48 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I'm probably underestimating what Jamal will want/get.  He wants to be paid like one of the top defensive players in the game.  $15M is only top Safety money.  

And of course, the cap goes up for everyone.  So the cost of doing business for the likes of, say, free agent Offensive Linemen people are depending so heavily on will go way up too.  

So, yes, Jamal's contract can and will be a hindrance on building the rest of the roster.  As would passing on the draft capital we so desperately need right now.  We absolutely cannot depend on free agency to rebuild the OL.  We need high picks.  

24 minutes ago, JiF said:

Aaron Donald didn't make the playoffs this year, therefore, he's not valuable to the Rams.  Jalen Ramsey, also on the Rams (weird how they manage to have some superstars on 1 team), has a career winning % of like .400, therefore, he's not a valuable asset to any team he plays for.

Chandler Jones, has yet to make the playoffs since arriving in Arizona, therefore, his 15+ sacks a year is not valuable to the Cardinals.

TJ Watt, failed to make the playoffs, therefore he's not valuable to the Steelers. 

JNlogic baby!!!

Aaron Donald has been to a Super Bowl.  Ramsey has been to an AFC Title game with Bortles as his QB.  Jamal hasn't even had a .500 season thru 3 years.

Chandler Jones was definitely overpaid.  That's why you generally shouldn't go after Patriots in free agency.  

32 minutes ago, JiF said:

If we really think Joe Douglas is the answer, this isnt even remotely challenging for a GM worth his salt.  

If JD is worth his salt, why not give him as many high picks as possible to best do his job?  Why should he tie his own hands behind his back when he doesn't have to?

And to put it another way, why does JD so badly need to overpay a Box Safety for the team to be good?