Fixing Up Jets Quite Easy - Pay Attention (Long)

1 hour ago, BrickTamland said:

Re-Sign:

• Brian Poole (2 years, 15m Signing Bonus). Total hits: 9(1.5, 7.5) – 13 (5.5, 7.5)
  • Kelvin Beachum (1 year, 6m Signing Bonus). Total hits: 9(3, 6)
  • Arthur Maulet (2 years, 8m Signing Bonus). Total hits: 7(3, 4) – 8(4, 4)
  • James Burgess (1 year, 2m Signing Bonus). Total hits: 3(2, 1)
  • Neville Hewitt (2 years, 3m Signing Bonus). Total hits: 3(1.5, 1.5) - 3(1.5, 1.5)

You forgot to resign Shell if that remains part of your plan. he will cost 5-10 mil. Not the best but still a RT with solid experience. That changes some things. I'd also mention that your o line depth is concerning if you don't retain lewis but whatevs. Cushenberry would be a good starter there. 

I also think ?Beasley is a waste of space and I want nothing to do with him. 

I like the draft and some other things though. Not bad overall. 

oh and I think you are a tad low on Cooper's price tag. like 4-5 mil per low. It's gonna be tough to pull this off man.  lol 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, David Harris said:

Enjoyed the read

loved the draft

think your 3 big free agent signings are significantly below their market 

Id be thrilled with that draft

Cool. Yeah I left some extra money on the table for that reason. I think maybe cooper requires 2m additional of the first year and 3m more in the second. 30m bonus is huge though.

If market so requires I’d do same with thuney. This is possible under this plan.

id probably shift off and maybe resign a better but slower player in our own Jordan Jenkins if Beasley is going to be more than 6-8 million. Jenkins won’t command more than about 8M.

5 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

You forgot to resign Shell if that remains part of your plan. he will cost 5-10 mil. Not the best but still a RT with solid experience. That changes some things. I'd also mention that your o line depth is concerning if you don't retain lewis but whatevs. Cushenberry would be a good starter there. 

I also think ?Beasley is a waste of space and I want nothing to do with him. 

I like the draft and some other things though. Not bad overall. 

oh and I think you are a tad low on Cooper's price tag. like 4-5 mil per low. It's gonna be tough to pull this off man.  lol 

It’s either she’ll or Beachum. I’m not signing both.

5 hours ago, hamat711 said:

Cooper and Thuney are too low, Shell isn't factored in and the secondary will still be garbage. The depth will also be atrocious.

It's looking like a two year project without a miracle.

Alex Lewis can be resigned.

then you have your typical Jag signings plus 5 more late round draft picks that I didn’t know enough about to address

I agree that edge and are not “fixed” but I don’t care. the jets as an organizationally incompetent offense are fixed, the Ol is fixed, the rb is fixed, the wrs are fixed, te are good, lb are good, dl is good, s is good. At that point you’re a solid team. You can sign/draft a good edge and C.B. I’m 2021 knowing that you finally are not taking away from the offense needs

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

It’s either she’ll or Beachum. I’m not signing both.

That's fine, but both were written into your plan. That's why I mentioned it. The thing I agree with the most is this should be the year for offense. hands down. 

Players want their guaranteed money. With so much cap space in 2021 just be creative with a couple of free agent contracts regarding how much they get in 2021 of their guaranteed salary. 

Its pretty much a guarantee that Bell will be gone in 2021. JD should be able to pull off 2 Olineman + Cooper if he becomes available. If that happens, Greenbeans draft looks pretty freaking good, just replace the extra Olineman he took with CBs & a RB like Hellaire. 

You overpaid for Maulet who can be RFA tendered at $2 million. Burgess can also be RFA tendered. You didn’t account for Shell. Also going into next year with Austin and Maulet as starting corners is a horrifying prospect especially since pass rusher isn’t addressed. 

future cap needs to account for Darnold and Adams signing long term. 

• Upvote 1

If I did the math right, Amari Cooper is signing a 4 year $54Mil deal with the Jets?  $13.5 mil per year.  That ain't gonna happen.  He will probably be looking for $18-$20 mil per year.  No way he signs for $13.5M per year.
I was thinking 15-16 ... Remember when guys here thought Robbie was worth that kind of scratch

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, BrickTamland said:

It is true that the 2020 cap is healthy but not the stereotypical “treasure trove.” However, we have an insane amount of money free in 2021 - with almost no players worth re-signing in that year (only Jamal Adams).

Important to note is that the money in a signing bonus is spread out evenly over each year in a contract, which means that the Free Agent can be satisfied by a big payday upon signing, meanwhile the team can spread out the “cost” of the cap hit.

•  

I got this far. This is fine if you hit on every big signing bonus but we know that doesn't  happen and then you end up handcuffed  to a bad player like we are to TJ because of the cap implications of cutting him. 

Rather than spending like a drunk sailor, we have a real opportunity  to build the core or at least put sone key pieces  in place this draft. There are a lot of good OL in this draft, more than I have seen in some time. There will be OL taken possibly in round 3 that can be day 1 starters. This is the sustainable way to build. I would only grab Cooper (saw him mentioned by skimming your post) if we don't  get Lamb, Jeudy, or Ruggs. We have a lot of guys that can catch passes, there is no reason to blow up the budget by signing Cooper really if you can draft one of those 3 and have a stud wr for 4 years on a rookie deal. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BrickTamland said:

Cool. Yeah I left some extra money on the table for that reason. I think maybe cooper requires 2m additional of the first year and 3m more in the second. 30m bonus is huge though.

Cooper is going to get way more than that. Sammy Watkins was getting 16 mill a year. Look for Cooper to get closer to 50M guaranteed and 18-20 a year.

• Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, BrickTamland said:

He's a RFA, we can place the 2nd round tender on him for ~$3m.

• Amari Cooper (4 years. 30m Signing Bonus). Total hits: 10.5(3, 7.5)-12.5 (5, 7.5)-15(7.5, 7.5) - 16 (8.5, 7.5)
  • Joe Thuney (3 years, 18m Signing Bonus). Total hits: 10(4, 6) – 11(5, 6) – 12(6, 6)
  • Vic Beasley (1 year, 4m Signing Bonus). Total hits: 8(4, 4)

WR - I like Cooper but I feel like he is going to want to play for a winner that also wants to pay him. I'd like to try and snag a high upside guy like Perriman or Funchess for cheap and take a 2nd round WR.

G - I love Thuney, should 100% be target #1. It weakens a division rival at the same time. If we can't get him, Graham Glasgow from Detroit would be solid cause he can play C/G.

EDGE - I really hope we get an Edge in FA but Beasley is not my first choice. Ngakoue, Dupree, Armstead, and Judon would all be better options IMO.

Love the rest, good work! Great research!

It is true that the 2020 cap is healthy but not the stereotypical “treasure trove.” However, we have an insane amount of money free in 2021 - with almost no players worth re-signing in that year (only Jamal Adams).

Important to note is that the money in a signing bonus is spread out evenly over each year in a contract, which means that the Free Agent can be satisfied by a big payday upon signing, meanwhile the team can spread out the “cost” of the cap hit.

The awful last year showed us some great things to be excited about - especially the depth we have at linebacker and cornerback, a possible role player in V. Smith, good tight ends, and of course Darnold’s strong finish.

As we pretty much all know, the highest needs are at offensive line, wide receiver, and then pass rusher, and this plan addresses all of those needs.

2020 Cap Space: 53M

2021 Cap Space:  138M

Release:

• Brian Winters (Saves 7 Million in 2020)
  • Darryl Roberts (Saves 6 Million in 2020, Saves 7.5 in 2021)
  • Trumaine Johnson (Saves 3 Million in 2020, Saves 17 in 2021)

Trade:

• Avery Williamson (saves 6.5 Million in 2020)

2020 Cap Space Updated: 75.5M

2021 Cap Space Updated: 1625M

Re-Sign:

• Brian Poole (2 years, 15m Signing Bonus). Total hits: 9(1.5, 7.5) – 13 (5.5, 7.5)
  • Kelvin Beachum (1 year, 6m Signing Bonus). Total hits: 9(3, 6)
  • James Burgess (1 year, 2m Signing Bonus). Total hits: 3(2, 1)
  • Neville Hewitt (2 years, 3m Signing Bonus). Total hits: 3(1.5, 1.5) - 3(1.5, 1.5)

2020 Cap Space Updated: 44.5M

2021 Cap Space Updated: 138M

Sign:

• Amari Cooper (4 years. 30m Signing Bonus). Total hits: 10.5(3, 7.5)-12.5 (5, 7.5)-15(7.5, 7.5) - 16 (8.5, 7.5)
  • Joe Thuney (3 years, 18m Signing Bonus). Total hits: 10(4, 6) – 11(5, 6) – 12(6, 6)
  • Vic Beasley (1 year, 4m Signing Bonus). Total hits: 8(4, 4)

2020 Cap Space Updated: 16.5M

2021 Cap Space Updated: 114.5M

Draft:

1. Andrew Thomas (OT)
  2. Lloyd Cushenberry (OG)
  3. KJ Hamler (WR)
  4. -second third- Clyde Edwards-Helaire (RB)
  5. -first fourth- Gabriel Davis (WR)...

—- followed by some additional depth signings) —

2020 Depth Chart:

QB. Darnold.

RB. Bell. Edwards-Helaire.

WR. Cooper. Hamler. Crowder. Davis. Smith. Berrios

TE. Griffin. Herndon. Brown.

OL. Beachum giving way to Thomas. Cushenberry. Harrison. Thuney. Edoga/Shell

DL. Anderson. Shepherd. Fat. McLendon. Phillips. Williams (Rotation)

LB. Beasley. Cashman. Mosley. Hewitt. Burgess. 

CB. Austin. Maulet. Poole. 

S. Adams. Maye

You’re still going to have about 110+ to play with in 2021. Then another 23M will be added when you cut Bell and Henry Anderson. Then you probably save another chunk with an injury settlement with Enunwa. 

Heading into 2021, the only players above who need an extension are: Jamal Adams. Marcus Maye. McLendon retires. You make a decision on Harrison, Daniel Brown, Beasley, Beachum, Burgess.

Yep, I'm the annoying guy that quoted you. 

I like the plan. 

Concerns: 1. Amari Cooper. With a draft full of talent at WR I don't want to pay him the insane amount of money he will demand. He's not a generational talent. 2. Beasley- washed up. If we are going to sign a Pass Rusher might as well go all in and sign Ngokwe for big bucks (its hard to hit on a pass rusher in the draft) or play it safe and resign a solid, consistent player who we know what we are getting from in Jenkins. 3. No help at CB. I get that you can't fix everything in one offseason, but this is actually a good FA period to sign a CB. There are a lot of options. Doesn't have to be a top dollar player. But it could be if we don't give all that money to Cooper. Darby, Jones, Bradberry, Breeland. Bringing in one of those guys will really help the CB corps. 

Luckily, this is a good FA group to land an OG and a CB for the Jets without overspending wildly. Its a good draft to land a starting caliber OT and WR. I think that's the way the Jets should approach the offseason as far as FA and the draft, in simplistic terms. 

If the Jets want to address Edge this year they will have to draft one early or be ready to pay big money in FA.   

• Upvote 1