Robby Anderson will get no more than 9M per year

Alka

At the most, it seems that Robby will get 9M per year for no more than 2 or 3 years.  He might even only get 8 Mill per year.  The reason for Robby not to go more than 2 years, is that he can re-enter free agency after 2 years at 28 years of age, and hope to get his big contract at that time when teams will have more money to spend, and if Robby plays up to his potential.

After the big signing of the star wide receiver in Dallas, no other wide receiver has gotten more than 9M per year so far in free agency this year.

Robby wanted 13M per year, and he won't get 10M.

Plus, the draft experts say that there will be around 25 wide receivers in the draft that are good enough to be taken in the first 3 rounds.  If that's true, we could easily take one in the second round or one in the 3rd round with one of our 2 picks, even if we sign Robby.

The bottom line is that after 1 week of free agency, no team seems to be knocking down the door to sign this guy.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, GeorgeJetson said:

Did we need another thread for this?

Robby’s value is hurt by the fact that this is the best WR draft class in the last 20 years according experts. 

I reckon Dallas really panicked with Amari Cooper and bid against themselves.

I agree with you about Amari Cooper.  $20 Million per year with $60 Million guaranteed.  No other wide receiver  has even gotten 1/2 of that or will get 1/2 of that in free agency this year.  If Amari gets hurt at any point then Dallas is screwed.  

When people were predicting not that long ago that Robby would get between $12 M and $15 M per year, this is a shock that if he resigns with the Jets, it won't be anywhere near what many Jets fans thought going into this offseason.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Alka said:

I agree with you about Amari Cooper.  $20 Million per year with $60 Million guaranteed.  No other wide receiver  has even gotten 1/2 of that or will get 1/2 of that in free agency this year.  If Amari gets hurt at any point then Dallas is screwed.  

When people were predicting not that long ago that Robby would get between $12 M and $15 M per year, this is a shock that if he resigns with the Jets, it won't be anywhere near what many Jets fans thought going into this offseason.

Many here thought the $12-$15M figure was always gamesmanship by Robby's agent. 

Just now, ScarletKnight89 said:

Seems like at this point he's holding out hoping someone comes in and offers him that big money deal. Otherwise he'll probably just come back to the Jets at Joe D's price. 

It’s starting to appear that way.  I’m a fan of Robby so him coming back on a cheaper shorter term deal would be a huge win for us.  I do think the WR corps in this draft is part of the reason his market isn’t as big as he thought 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Alka said:

At the most, it seems that Robby will get 9M per year for no more than 2 or 3 years.  He might even only get 8 Mill per year.  The reason for Robby not to go more than 2 years, is that he can re-enter free agency after 2 years at 28 years of age, and hope to get his big contract at that time when teams will have more money to spend, and if Robby plays up to his potential.

After the big signing of the star wide receiver in Dallas, no other wide receiver has gotten more than 9M per year so far in free agency this year.

Robby wanted 13M per year, and he won't get 10M.

Plus, the draft experts say that there will be around 25 wide receivers in the draft that are good enough to be taken in the first 3 rounds.  If that's true, we could easily take one in the second round or one in the 3rd round with one of our 2 picks, even if we sign Robby.

The bottom line is that after 1 week of free agency, no team seems to be knocking down the door to sign this guy.

7 not a red cent more. 

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Alka said:

Send the cops to present the offer: 2 year 14 M. Of course have them wear protective goggles and antiseptic wipes. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Why exactly does it bother fans so much how much some billionaire pays an athlete for his services. Robbie was an UDFA who has earned whatever he end up making . If he happens to earn it as an employee of the Jets then all I care about as far as he’s concern is what he does on game day .

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Economics is fun da mental. 

24 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Why exactly does it bother fans so much how much some billionaire pays an athlete for his services. Robbie was an UDFA who has earned whatever he end up making . If he happens to earn it as an employee of the Jets then all I care about as far as he’s concern is what he does on game day .

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

This has nothing to do how much someone gets or doesn't get, but how do the Jets distribute the available dollars so that we can maximize getting the most and best free agents that we need to compete at the next level.  

Paying free agents is a chess game, and whoever plays the game the best will enter the season with the best opportunity to succeed.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

If the Jet's are offering 9 Million a year, Robby should tell the Jet's to shove it, even if he signs somewhere else for less. Robby is worth every bit as much as what Tyrell Williams signed for with Oakland last year. My guess is if he was offered that kind of deal here, he already would have signed back with us. You want to pinch pennies with a young, productive player,do so at your own risk.

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, genot said:

If the Jet's are offering 9 Million a year, Robby should tell the Jet's to shove it, even if he signs somewhere else for less. Robby is worth every bit as much as what Tyrell Williams signed for with Oakland last year. My guess is if he was offered that kind of deal here, he already would have signed back with us. You want to pinch pennies with a young, productive player,do so at your own risk.

Why wouldn’t Robby just do what all the other Jets free agents did after testing the market and just comeback on a 1 year deal? 

I would think if you are banking on a 1 year prove it deal most players would rather just stay in an area/system they are already familiar with. 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, genot said:

Perhaps Ty Williams isn’t worth as much as he got paid?

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, genot said:

Doesn't seem like Douglas cares.  Probably figuring he can get 2 WR's as good in the up coming draft. 

Suspecting when Anderson signs it will be for around 6.  That's almost half what Williams is being paid this year.  

Your only worth what some one is willing to pay you.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, GeorgeJetson said:

Why wouldn’t Robby just do what all the other Jets free agents did after testing the market and just comeback on a 1 year deal? 

I would think if you are banking on a 1 year prove it deal most players would rather just stay in an area/system they are already familiar with. 

I think Robby might be feeling a little disrespected. Right or wrong.

3 minutes ago, genot said:

I think Robby might be feeling a little disrespected. Right or wrong.

Why are you so concerned about the amount of respect Robby is getting?  The Jets would like him back but won’t  break the bank for him nor should they.  That’s not disrespect in fact most teams operate that way 

14 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Doesn't seem like Douglas cares.  Probably figuring he can get 2 WR's as good in the up coming draft. 

Suspecting when Anderson signs it will be for around 6.  That's almost half what Williams is being paid this year.  

Your only worth what some one is willing to pay you.

If that's true, he's an asshat. instead of using that pick on a corner, o-lineman, edge rusher, he might like. He'll use it on a WR, because he wants players coming back on the cheap. Alot of people here like that. Fine. i don't.

2 minutes ago, genot said:

If that's true, he's an asshat. instead of using that pick on a corner, o-lineman, edge rusher, he might like. He'll use it on a WR, because he wants players coming back on the cheap. Alot of people here like that. Fine. i don't.

He's an Asshat because he won't pay a guy twice what he's worth?  That money will be used in bringing in another FA. 

This is really Macc isn't it?  

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Douglas better hire a body guard for his wife if he does.  

1 minute ago, Jets723 said:

Why are you so concerned about the amount of respect Robby is getting?  The Jets would like him back but won’t  break the bank for him nor should they.  That’s not disrespect in fact most teams operate that way 

Retaining a  young productive player, that has a chance to up his game and improve the offense with his franchise QB is good business. A contract similar to the Tyrell Williams deal is far from breaking the bank

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, genot said:

Retaining a  young productive player, that has a chance to up his game and improve the offense with his franchise QB is good business. A contract similar to the Tyrell Williams deal is far from breaking the bank

Look I’m a Robby fan and would like him back but this is actually working out great for us.  His market isn’t as good as he thought and the deep WR draft class also is part of it.  We might be able to bring him back on a cheaper deal if he wants to test the market again next year.  That’s a win for us.  Plus we are most likely gonna draft at least two receivers in this deep class 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, flgreen said:

He's an Asshat because he won't pay a guy twice what he's worth?  That money will be used in bringing in another FA. 

This is really Macc isn't it?  

Are you serious. You don't think he's worth more than 6 Mill a year. I'm sure you'd be happy bring in Sanders in at that rate. A soon to be 33 yr old WR coming of a acl injury.

6 minutes ago, vtbx said:

Chris Simms made a good point on WFAN today. The market is weak for Robby because no team can meet with him due to virus.  This can only help the Jets so I'm hoping for a one-year, prove it deal.

https://wfan.radio.com/media/audio-channel/chris-simms-0

If this is true, how is everybody else getting signed?

Guess it could be true with his off-field issues, which alone is going to damage the value of a player with his skills.  if he was a super star teams might over loo them.  Anderson't not a star. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, genot said:

Are you serious. You don't think he's worth more than 6 Mill a year. I'm sure you'd be happy bring in Sanders in at that rate. A soon to be 33 yr old WR coming of a acl injury.

It doesn't matter what I think, or what you think.  It's what NFL GM's think.

In all honesty I was really surprised that Jenkins signed for $5M with 15 sacks in 2 years

I was going to be happy if Anderson came back for $10M a year.  I have a feeling Douglas has laid a deal on the table of $5-6M like he did with Jenkins.  Take it or leave it.

• Upvote 1

Just now, flgreen said:

In all honesty I was really surprised that Jenkins signed for $5M with 15 sacks in 2 years.  

The Jenkins move was great by JD.  I think it’s more likely Robby will come back for a similar deal(maybe for a little more money) 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

In all honesty I was really surprised that Jenkins signed for $5M with 15 sacks in 2 years.  

Well. yea. We're not Chris Johnson's budget directors. I'm a fan. I want to see a core of Jet players who lost together, start winning together. As a fan, that's very important to me. I'm not arguing to break the bank to get him back. Just make him a fair offer, based on what other receivers with his attributes and production have signed for. Taking advantage of the fact that this is a WR heavy draft to save money, might be smart this year. But it could have the opposite effect next year.

5 minutes ago, genot said:

Well. yea. We're not Chris Johnson's budget directors. I'm a fan. I want to see a core of Jet players who lost together, start winning together. As a fan, that's very important to me. I'm not arguing to break the bank to get him back. Just make him a fair offer, based on what other receivers with his attributes and production have signed for. Taking advantage of the fact that this is a WR heavy draft to save money, might be smart this year. But it could have the opposite effect next year.

Actually it's not what other WR's have been paid  in the past, it's what the market is willing to pay RIGHT NOW. 

Besides on field concerns, Anderson has some off-field concerns that I'm sure are bothering GM's on his value long term to their teams.

Anderson can feel as "disrespected" as he wants, but it's not just the Jets disrespecting him, nobody in the league wants to give him what he wants obviously.  

If you want to be Johnson's imaginary budget director, cool.  I just think it's very refreshing that a Jets GM isn't bidding against himself.  Pay a guy what he's worth, the market demand for him will determine that. 

Right now there seems to be very little

• Upvote 1