Jets Sign Perriman

SR24

Anderson was a bird in the hand. 

Perriman and Robinson are two in the bush. 

Either way, I wanted the Jets to draft a WR in the first two rounds this year, and another one after that. I'd've signed Robby to the deal he got from Carolina, maybe with the same idea to let it default to a one year deal if one or both of my new rookie WRs blow past him. But I definitely preferred the idea of keeping a WR on the team with whom Sam's familiar. He's basically now down to Crowder and getting reacquainted with Herndon and (maybe?) Enunwa. I keep wondering if they actually expect Enunwa to play this year. 

25 minutes ago, jgb said:

Seems everyone is making assumptions right now. That's what happens in the absence of facts. 

it was reported that he turned down a 4-yr $40 mill offer from JD.  Not sure what the guarantee number was, but he was only guaranteed 12 from Carolina.  The only assumptions I am making are that the report is accurate and that the Jets offered more than $12 million guaranteed.

It would have taken more money than Carolina offered to have Robby remain.  

People like to talk about "home-town discounts" , but from what I see, is that many players make their current team pay more than other offers to stay.  That's what happened with Robby.  He's giving himself time to re-enter the market in a year or 2.  

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Dcat said:

faulty logic.  Anderson wanted more from the Jets (probably a lot more) than he was willing to take from Carolina and Rhule.  You are assuming the Jets offer wasn't as high as the Panthers.  I'll bet it was in the same range or even a bit more.

There is no indication that this is true.  

1 hour ago, Samtorobby47 said:

I really don’t think Perriman is comparable when it comes to “elite deep speed”. He’s more of a big body, jump ball kind of guy. Don’t see him as taking a top off a defense. 
That role will be filled by Juedy or Ruggs :)

He ran a 4.27 40. What the hell do you consider elite deep speed? 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Yes I am wondering what his downfall has been and have speculated that it could be issues with learning the playbook or something like that. Unfortunately I don't expect our crack reporters to dig in to that.

At least with the Ravens it was staying healthy and just not being consistent catching the ball. Had way too many drops. Which was a known issue coming out of college. Never overcame it. 

4 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

He ran a 4.27 40. What the hell do you consider elite deep speed? 

Just because a guy ran fast one day doesn’t mean he’s tyreek hill out there. Just pull up some YouTube highlights, that’s not his game. It’s not a bad thing but he’s just more a big body, go up and get it WR. His comparison was Dwayne Bowe for god sake. 

I don't mind Anderson leaving. Would have been cool if we kept him, but I always felt like he was a bad fit for Darnold. Sam needs what Fitz had with Decker and Marshal, get him some big possession guys and Anderson will be an afterthought. 

Perriman offers upside too, pretty sure he's also 26. There's a reason he was a 1st rounder, definitely talented.

5 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Props.

Glad you agree that Perriman sucks and it was stupid to give him 6m guaranteed considering his 4 year career is worth more like 2m. 

I don’t agree at all with your statement lol.  Never said he was great but saying he sucks is just ridiculous.  That’s worthy of a buttfumble ? 

10 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I don’t agree at all with your statement lol.  Never said he was great but saying he sucks is just ridiculous.  That’s worthy of a buttfumble ? 

He sucks. If you're incapable of coming to that conclusion after looking at his entire career, and your only recourse is to buttfumble me, go for it. Every buttfumble is confirmation that you have no idea what you're looking at. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Dcat said:

it was reported that he turned down a 4-yr $40 mill offer from JD.  Not sure what the guarantee number was, but he was only guaranteed 12 from Carolina.  The only assumptions I am making are that the report is accurate and that the Jets offered more than $12 million guaranteed.

It would have taken more money than Carolina offered to have Robby remain.  

People like to talk about "home-town discounts" , but from what I see, is that many players make their current team pay more than other offers to stay.  That's what happened with Robby.  He's giving himself time to re-enter the market in a year or 2.  

I think that's what it's all about. He is betting this deal ultimately leads to more in the end. Betting on himself, basically. He seems a redundant piece in CAR, however. They already have two extreme burner/field stretchers and still without a probable WR1.

2 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

He sucks. If you're incapable of coming to that conclusion after looking at his entire career, and your only recourse is to buttfumble me, go for it. Every buttfumble is confirmation that you have no idea what you're looking at. 

Calm yourself lol.  I’ve been pretty objective about him.  In fact I said I would take Robby if I had a choice but he turned us down.  However he doesn’t suck.  Inconsistent?  Absolutely but your argument really doesn’t hold any Weight.  It’s not like we are bringing him to be our top WR.  This draft is loaded in WR and I still think we are bringing in another veteran.  

10 hours ago, Losmeister said:

its an ultra thin resume

Injuries can do that to you.  He is not the first player that struggled his first few years, bounced around and then finally put it all together.   His talent is undeniable and he is the same age as Anderson.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Calm yourself lol.  I’ve been pretty objective about him.  In fact I said I would take Robby if I had a choice but he turned us down.  However he doesn’t suck.  Inconsistent?  Absolutely but your argument really doesn’t hold any Weight.  It’s not like we are bringing him to be our top WR.  This draft is loaded in WR and I still think we are bringing in another veteran.  

We didn't bring him in to be our top WR, but right now?  He is our top WR.  That is a problem.  They also gave him a decent amount of money.  For that money, I want more than 350 yards.

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

We didn't bring him in to be our top WR, but right now?  He is our top WR.  That is a problem.  They also gave him a decent amount of money.  For that money, I want more than 350 yards.

Didn’t he have 650 yards last year?  

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

But according to @Samtorobby47 not a deep threat

That’s about the only thing he is. This is like saying Robby isn’t a deep threat. Lol it’s literally the name of his game.

guy’s username probably tells you all you need to know about why he feels the way he does. Sam to Robby was suppose to be eternal.

9 minutes ago, jgb said:

Not saying that at all. It's a criticsm that we didn't lock him up for 2 years, at least.

Not really.  JD is demonstrating with all the 1-year deals that he expects to "draft over" the players on the current roster.  Those who prove themselves will get new contracts.  Sounds good to me.  

If Perriman has a monster year that justifies a monster contract, that's a win-win.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JetBlue said:

Injuries can do that to you.  He is not the first player that struggled his first few years, bounced around and then finally put it all together.   His talent is undeniable and he is the same age as Anderson.  

Injuries?  He played 16 games as a rookie.  He is not catching a very high percentage of his targets.  For finally putting it all together, his numbers were worse than Anderson.  I also do not care at all about the age of guys on one year deals.  They are either done (Demaryius) or it doesn't matter. 

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Crowder is the top WR.  And he was the 1a/1b best WR on the team when Robby was here too.  

• Upvote 2

I went to a Bucs forum to see what they thought about him, and I thought this was a pretty fair response.

Perriman has the size and speed combo that NFL teams look for. At the collegiate level he was a weapon at UCF. It never translated in the NFL due to injuries, and his inconsistent hands but the Ravens also were not known for developing WRs for a long time.

Both Godwin and Evans went out with injuries and it opened the door with Perriman to do better. And Perriman did do better as he took the opportunity and ran with it.

Perriman is an ideal deep threat to keep defenses honest but he isn’t a possession WR as he doesn’t have the consistent hands for it.

Hard to tell if he turned the corner to be a starter but as a role player is more than adequate.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Not really.  JD is demonstrating with all the 1-year deals that he expects to "draft over" the players on the current roster.  Those who prove themselves will get new contracts.  Sounds good to me.  

If Perriman has a monster year that justifies a monster contract, that's a win-win.  

True 

2 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Didn’t he have 650 yards last year?  

Ooooh.  So he will duplicate his best season here?  Tampa led the league in passing yards last year with 4,800.  Do you think he'd have gotten 650 with the Jets who threw for 3,111?  I don't mind Perriman, but he is far from a sure thing to even be serviceable.  I'd take my chances with him, but if he's getting $8M it is one of the few contracts where Douglas went for more than I'd have liked.  

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Ooooh.  So he will duplicate his best season here?  Tampa led the league in passing yards last year with 4,800.  Do you think he'd have gotten 650 with the Jets who threw for 3,111?  I don't mind Perriman, but he is far from a sure thing to even be serviceable.  I'd take my chances with him, but if he's getting $8M it is one of the few contracts where Douglas went for more than I'd have liked.  

Isn’t it 6 million?  Again this WR free agent class is really thin.  We still have the draft and the rest of the offseason. Give it a chance man lol.  You can’t expect everything to be great in a week or even one offseason 

12 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Well he doesn't exactly have Mike Evans and Chris Goodwin ahead of him on the depth chart here. Close, but not exactly.

• Upvote 1