For the Tackle Over WR Crowd (EDIT: Top WR vs 3rd or 4th OT)

2011 NY Jets : 3 probowl O-linemen - Brick, Mangold (hof'er?) and Moore, and Slauson who wasn't bad. 

8-8 missed play-offs, passing offense mediocre to bad. 

and with such a good o-line the run game was bad.....why??? shonn greene???

no it was the crap we had at wr (and qb but also wr) santonio homes and burress, lol. a flash in the pan and a washed ex-giant.

plus sanchez was 5th most sacked that year

edited the title because if we had a chance to get our top 1st or 2nd tackle pick then i'd go either way with it

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Everything on offense starts with the oline.  You can't run and you can't pass.  All the lovely Wr do you no good if the QB has no time.

Nice sports car, but there are no tires.

so why were we such trash with such a great o-line this year? lets say not no tires, but mid-grade tires. better than having water in your gas

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Here's the real reasons why OT over WR, where possible, makes sense:

1.  It's much harder to find quality OT's outside of the 1st round, historically.  

2.  The hit rate on 2nd round WR's is nearly as good as 1st round WR's.  You're just not likely going to find a future HOF WR in the 2nd round.

3.  In this particular draft, there are a bunch of potential future WR1s that will be available in Round 2.  

i mean i'll be ok with it, as long as its not defense i'm fine. but our wrs are so bad i think its glaringly worse than our oline. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, neckdemon said:

i mean i'll be ok with it, as long as its not defense i'm fine. but our wrs are so bad i think its glaringly worse than our oline. 

I want to double dip at WR.  One in the 2nd, one in the 3rd.  

It's not about avoiding WR.  It's about getting them at the right time.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Everything on offense starts with the oline.  You can't run and you can't pass.  All the lovely Wr do you no good if the QB has no time.

Nice sports car, but there are no tires.

EVERYTHING in an NFL franchise starts with OL...anyone who tells you otherwise is a complete and utter moron.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The passing game as a whole was trash from 2009-2012 because of Mark Sanchez.

The talent level of the receivers weren't to blame for any of that.  

true sanchez wasn't great but our wrs were cotchery, edwards, holmes and burress. meanwhile we had some really great olines . mangold, brick, faneca, moore. and even with a top of the league run game in 2009 our passing game was complete trash. the receivers get some of that blame as they were trash. our best skill player was thomas jones, who was good. right now our best skill player is bell. sounds pretty similar. building a competent o-line is definitely a must. but you can do that without a top tier left tackle. our receving group might be the worst in the league

If Sanchez was the 5th most sacked that year, are you sure the OL was good? Was that the Wayne Hunter year? Didn't Sanchez throw for 26 TDs and run for like 6 TDs? That's a weird year to pick considering out defense was 20th in points against and our offense was actually pretty good at putting up points. 

Just now, kdels62 said:

If Sanchez was the 5th most sacked that year, are you sure the OL was good? 

Sacks taken are more of a QB statistic than an OL statistic.

Sanchez was notorious for holding onto the ball for too long.  He had no ability to "throw receivers open", and he was a slow processor.  

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I want to double dip at WR.  One in the 2nd, one in the 3rd.  

It's not about avoiding WR.  It's about getting them at the right time.  

if one of the top 2 oline on douglas board is there....sure. but if not and jeudy or lamb are there it has to be the pick

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

If Sanchez was the 5th most sacked that year, are you sure the OL was good? Was that the Wayne Hunter year? Didn't Sanchez throw for 26 TDs and run for like 6 TDs? That's a weird year to pick considering out defense was 20th in points against and our offense was actually pretty good at putting up points. 

3 probowlers says it was pretty decent. i don't have a memory good enough to remember but with the crap we had at wr probably a good number of coverage sacks

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sacks taken are more of a QB statistic than an OL statistic.

Sanchez was notorious for holding onto the ball for too long.  He had no ability to "throw receivers open", and he was a slow processor.  

can't throw sh*tty receivers open. not saying sanchez wasn't to blame at all. the point is with a really good o-line and crappy receivers that was the outcome. crappy qb also, but we dont know what we have in darnold now anyway. argument can actually be made to draft a qb

Just now, neckdemon said:

3 probowlers says it was pretty decent. i don't have a memory good enough to remember but with the crap we had at wr probably a good number of coverage sacks

We put up more points that year than we did the 2 years before and we replaced Alan Faneca with Matt Slausen  and Damien Woody with Wayne Hunter. 

4 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

can't throw sh*tty receivers open. not saying sanchez wasn't to blame at all. the point is with a really good o-line and crappy receivers that was the outcome. crappy qb also, but we dont know what we have in darnold now anyway. argument can actually be made to draft a qb

Sanchez couldn't throw receivers open in 2009 or 2010 either.  He couldn't do it at his next stops either.  

Darnold has shown ability in that area his first 2 seasons.  

I'm not saying you're wrong from a general philosophy point of view, only pointing out that  the 2011 Jets and Mark Sanchez aren't the best ways to make that point.

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Great lines make guys like Sanchez and dak prescott rich people.

Awful olines knock hot prospect QBs right out of the league.

Yep. Great lines get Mark Sanchez 1 game away from the Super bowl 2 years in a row.

26 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

2011 NY Jets : 3 probowl O-linemen - Brick, Mangold (hof'er?) and Moore, and Slauson who wasn't bad. 

8-8 missed play-offs, passing offense mediocre to bad. 

and with such a good o-line the run game was bad.....why??? shonn greene???

no it was the crap we had at wr (and qb but also wr) santonio homes and burress, lol. a flash in the pan and a washed ex-giant.

plus sanchez was 5th most sacked that year

lmfao

Did you forget about 2009 & 2010? 

Honestly one of the worst takes I've seen on here, and that's something special. So congrats to you bro.

Thumbs Reaction GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2