Baldy's Breakdowns For All Nine Jets 2020 Draft Picks

it's way too early to tell how any of these guys will work out.  hopefully they'l play well and mostly play better than their draft positions.  imo the only thing troubling is a couple of the picks have injuries.  maybe that's the only way you can get really good talent in later rounds but still it's better if they weren't injured. 

38 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

I like Baldy, I really do, but ever since he raved about the Trevon Wesco pick I can't help but view his analysis with a touch of skepticism.

Honestly, I haven't written Wesco off yet.  They only threw to him 3 times last year but he caught 2 for 47 yards.  He is mostly being used as a blocking TE for now (as he should at 265 lbs.) but if he is on the field with a better OLine out there, he may get a few more chances.  He might surprise us yet.  

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, rangerous said:

it's way too early to tell how any of these guys will work out.  hopefully they'l play well and mostly play better than their draft positions.  imo the only thing troubling is a couple of the picks have injuries.  maybe that's the only way you can get really good talent in later rounds but still it's better if they weren't injured. 

Bless Austin was injured, and he was a 6th round pick.  Austin looks like a starter for the future.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BroadwayRay said:

I like Baldy, I really do, but ever since he raved about the Trevon Wesco pick I can't help but view his analysis with a touch of skepticism.

Wesco could take a huge leap this year. Add in his blocking ability to our revamped oline and wow.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I like Austin, but are you aware that Williams benched him the last two games last year?

For the easy TD he gave up against Pittsburgh. I think he thought he had safety help but was on an island and got beat badly. 

1 minute ago, Ex-Rex said:

For the easy TD he gave up against Pittsburgh. I think he thought he had safety help but was on an island and got beat badly. 

Yeah, but that wasn't the first time he had blown coverages.  Kid showed a lot of skill on the field,but didn't look like he had done much black board work.

As I mentioned, I liked the guy, and thought he did a decent job for awhile.  If you want to get benched by Williams make the same coverage mistakes several times

2 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

Mostly unnoticed by everyone, Trevon played pretty well the last few games. He was never an instant superstar/

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

He is mostly being used as a blocking TE for now (as he should at 265 lbs.) but if he is on the field with a better OLine out there, he may get a few more chances.  He might surprise us yet.  

my sentiments as well, although i was troubled the amount of times he was assigned tio a DL and got WORKED...   LBs are an amore appropriate assigment.,

59 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

w/ like 8 secs left in half when the assigment is 

WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT LET HIM GET BEHIND !!!!

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Honestly, I haven't written Wesco off yet.  They only threw to him 3 times last year but he caught 2 for 47 yards.  He is mostly being used as a blocking TE for now (as he should at 265 lbs.) but if he is on the field with a better OLine out there, he may get a few more chances.  He might surprise us yet.  

I'm not writing him off. But no one can argue he was a "project" blocking tight end. Who the hell drafts a player like that in the fourth round? 

12 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Has anyone ever heard Baldy say something negative?  He seems like a “bright side of life” kind of guy.

That's why most of his breakdowns are worthless. He highlights a couple of good plays but never brings up the bad ones. 

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

I like Austin, but are you aware that Williams benched him the last two games last year?

He was also in his rookie year and came out of no where to become a starter.  It is only natural that he might have a bad game or two.  He now has a full season under his belt and the confidence to know he can play in this league.   I like his chances of winning a starting job.  Desir will probably start at one Corner, Wilson had a bad year last year and has a lot to prove; I put my money on Austin.  

29 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

I'm not writing him off. But no one can argue he was a "project" blocking tight end. Who the hell drafts a player like that in the fourth round? 

The guy who is no longer our GM thank goodness.   Still you have to give him credit for FF and Austin.  

12 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

I'll evoke my "Fatukasi/Shepherd Rule" - no calling mid-round picks busts until after their 2nd year.

You could even extend it to the Sione Pouha/James Farrior/Jerricho Cotchery rule whereby a couple of seasons and a coaching staff that is brave enough to get you out on the field and understands how to use you can make all the difference 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, flgreen said:

most the beat writers have pretty much the jets are extremely high on Austin.. so I guess that benching for that td he gave up didn't mean much 

14 hours ago, Alka said:

Bless Austin was injured, and he was a 6th round pick.  Austin looks like a starter for the future.

he certainly showed something and some guys do grow out of their injuries.  they get physically better and more mature or have better training programs.  but then there's a guy like cashman who played really well too but went down with injuries that he has battled since college.  we'll see how it all plays out.  hopefully the jets won't have the same injury bug as they did last season.