What if Mark Sanchez won a Super Bowl?

He probably doesn't get too much of a longer leash. We have seen a number of QBs win a Super Bowl and get dumped by their team, either immediately or shortly thereafter. And remember, he got two full seasons after the 2010 run and was just really bad in 2012.

I think the more interesting way to look at it would be - does Sanchez winning a Super Bowl in year 2 result in him playing better in years 3 and 4? Does he get a confidence boost that propels him to better things? Was he physically capable of developing into a better player than he ultimately became? I don't think a Superbowl win in 2010 gets him an appreciably longer leash with the same meh performance in 2011 and awful performance in 2012. 

As for national perception, I think it would be better, but not THAT much better. Barring an elite Super Bowl performance, he would be looked at as another QB carried to a championship by the elite roster around him. 

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

does Sanchez winning a Super Bowl in year 2 result in him playing better in years 3 and 4? Does he get a confidence boost that propels him to better things?

Nope.  This "Sanchez lacked confidence" nonsense that was peddled here for years was simply false.  He just sucked.  It's always been that simple. 

He sucked in college outside of a few games his junior season (SEE:  Pete Carroll's comments when he left a year early), he sucked with the Jets, he sucked after the Jets.  

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

He probably doesn't get too much of a longer leash. We have seen a number of QBs win a Super Bowl and get dumped by their team, either immediately or shortly thereafter. And remember, he got two full seasons after the 2010 run and was just really bad in 2012.

I think the more interesting way to look at it would be - does Sanchez winning a Super Bowl in year 2 result in him playing better in years 3 and 4? Does he get a confidence boost that propels him to better things? Was he physically capable of developing into a better player than he ultimately became? I don't think a Superbowl win in 2010 gets him an appreciably longer leash with the same meh performance in 2011 and awful performance in 2012. 

As for national perception, I think it would be better, but not THAT much better. Barring an elite Super Bowl performance, he would be looked at as another QB carried to a championship by the elite roster around him. 

Giants fans and the giants loving media trashed Eli Manning and all he did was win 2 Super Bowls

Sanchez was done

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Better question. What if we kept Favre, kept our picks instead of trading up and then drafted say LeSan McCoy in the 2nd round instead of Shonne Green at the top of the3rd??

Favre was never, ever going to stay here.  Rex said if we hadn't drafted Sanchez he would have flown out to Mississippi to beg Favre to come back.  Wouldn't have worked.  He was on a revenge path.  

Btw people who claim they hate Favre so much that they got zero enjoyment out of that 2008 season are liars.  Every single Jets fan got a half chub at minimum after we knocked off the undefeated Titans to improve to 8-3.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Better question. What if we kept Favre, kept our picks instead of trading up and then drafted say LeSan McCoy in the 2nd round instead of Shonne Green at the top of the3rd??

With the benefit of hindsight you could look at every round of every single draft and wonder what if we had taken this guy or that guy instead of the one we actually took.  Basically it is a BS argument

4 minutes ago, EM31 said:

With the benefit of hindsight you could look at every round of every single draft and wonder what if we had taken this guy or that guy instead of the one we actually took.  Basically it is a BS argument

It'd be nice if the Jets were the team taking the guy everyone wishes they would have taken in hindsight more than once in a blue moon.

The last one to fit the bill there would be Revis.  13 years ago.  And even then, with him being the # 14 pick, and with Megatron, Joe Thomas and AP getting taken before him, only 10 teams can really regret passing on Revis.

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Nope.  This "Sanchez lacked confidence" nonsense that was peddled here for years was simply false.  He just sucked.  It's always been that simple. 

He sucked in college outside of a few games his junior season (SEE:  Pete Carroll's comments when he left a year early), he sucked with the Jets, he sucked after the Jets.  

LOL. 

Yeah, I can't say that I thought he was ever good. He had a few nice moments in the playoffs that made me hopeful, but he could just never duplicate that consistently. His production speaks for itself. 

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Mangini was amazing, he was just as great in Cleveland building a winning culture there and with this amazing success teams have been knocking down his door to hire him but he just tells them no thanks.

Rex destroyed the franchise ??

He took a team the great mangini couldn't even get to the playoffs with a HOF QB, weaker schedule and no Brady around and made 2 AFC Championship Games.  

To recap- mangini great, Rex sucks ??

You can't make this stuff up

i'm not going to go so far as to say mangini built the rex teams but he did bring in some really good players.  rex squandered all that away by bringing in clowns like holmes and burress.  i mean what does that say about a 'tough' football player shooting himself and then spending a year in the slam?  and favre wasn't exactly an hof caliber qb when he played for the jets.  he was injured to boot.

the bottom line is rex ran a circus that was fun for a while but didn't have any lasting power.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Giants fans and the giants loving media trashed Eli Manning and all he did was win 2 Super Bowls

Sanchez was done

Agree. 

The reality was that, when you watched those Jets team play, Sanchez was the obvious weakness of the team. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i'm not going to go so far as to say mangini built the rex teams but he did bring in some really good players.  rex squandered all that away by bringing in clowns like holmes and burress.  i mean what does that say about a 'tough' football player shooting himself and then spending a year in the slam?  and favre wasn't exactly an hof caliber qb when he played for the jets.  he was injured to boot.

the bottom line is rex ran a circus that was fun for a while but didn't have any lasting power.

Holmes is a mixed bag because he had some great moments in 2010, but you are correct - the talent on the roster declined sharply under Rex - the drafting sucked and very few talented young players were developed into anything worthwhile. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Btw people who claim they hate Favre so much that they got zero enjoyment out of that 2008 season are liars.  Every single Jets fan got a half chub at minimum after we knocked off the undefeated Titans to improve to 8-3.  

I thought we were winning the Super Bowl. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Holmes is a mixed bag because he had some great moments in 2010, but you are correct - the talent on the roster declined sharply under Rex - the drafting sucked and very few talented young players were developed into anything worthwhile. 

Acquiring Holmes for a 5th rounder:  Good move.

Giving him a massive extension:  Awful move.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Losmeister said:

that reminds me. bob griese sucked and he is in the HOF

Most over rated player in the NFL Hall of Fame.

Dolphins best season, Griese missed most of it.   In their 2 SB runs, he played in 5 playoff games, started 4.  He went a combined 31-47 for for 424 yards.   I know it was a different game back then, but he average 80 yards passing per win.  Even in the regular season of those 2 years, he averaged 107 yards per game, with the best O Line in the game and a HOF wide receiver.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It'd be nice if the Jets were the team taking the guy everyone wishes they would have taken in hindsight more than once in a blue moon.

The last one to fit the bill there would be Revis.  13 years ago.   

Well I am hopeful about the draft this year but c'mon man.... you might as well look at the results from the track and ask why we did not bet on this horse or that one.... or Next week's Barron's to ask why we died not buy or sell something in the financial markets.

Wasn't Leonard Williams a consensus BAP when we picked him and Quinnen Williams pretty much the same?  In those two cases we took the guy "everyone wanted" and it turned out to not be the right pick.  Or at least in the case of QW it looks that way right now.

Everyone has favorites in the draft and some of those work out.  Some on the other hand turn out to be Matt Leinart and certain posters (you know who you are) are never permitted to forget that.  Going with the guy everyone wanted can have issues as well.

2 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Well I am hopeful about the draft this year but c'mon man.... you might as well look at the results from the track and ask why we did not bet on this horse or that one.... or Next week's Barron's to ask why we died not buy or sell something in the financial markets.

Wasn't Leonard Williams a consensus BAP when we picked him and Quinnen Williams pretty much the same?  In those two cases we took the guy "everyone wanted" and it turned out to not be the right pick.  Or at least in the case of QW it looks that way right now.

Everyone has favorites in the draft and some of those work out.  Some on the other hand turn out to me Matt Leinart and certain posters are never permitted to forget that.  Going with the guy everyone wanted can have issues as well.

I get it.  The draft is a crapshoot and all, yadda yadda yadda.

Doesn't explain how certain teams always seem to be taking guys we wish we could have taken AT THE TIME, with hindsight proving us correct.  

The Ravens and Saints come to mind.  And more recently the Chiefs.  

4 hours ago, BelgianJet said:

1) Would he have gotten a longer leash here?

2) Even if he flamed out would he qualify for the ring of honor?

3)If not the ring of honor how would he be perceived amongst Jets fans and Nationally?

The only other QB that was similar to me was Blake Bortles in the sense that he was a high draft pick that delivered a close run to the Super Bowl.  

What if my aunt had balls ? What if  ? What if ?

aunty-acid-dont-tell-me-i-havent-got-www-facebook-com-auntyaeld-31163563.png

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You date hilarious.  Hilarious isn't a fantasy girl showing up at your door wanting to f***.  Unless she's also hot.  

She's also hot.

I'm sorry you've never had sex? ...with someone who you find attractive, funny and interesting. It's way better than someone who is just 'hot'

2 hours ago, slats said:

He was presumptive starter when he arrived in Denver, but dropped like a rock to third string behind NFL luminaries Trevor Siemian and Paxton Lynch. 

Mark Sanchez love on this site should be relegated to PMs between you and @SAR I

I don't care what the article said, he outplayed the other guy in camp. Their plan was using him as insurance in case they didn't feel the young guys were ready to play.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

He went 10-6, 4-12, then 9-7. Mangini got fired after 9-7, and Rex, in eight years as head coach, only finished better than 9-7 one time. Mangini doesn’t have a job because he ratted out Belichick. 

What did he do without tannenbaum?

Mangini doesn't have a job because he failed in 2 places. You don't get a third shot in most cases.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

He wasn't the GM, he was the HC. As a HC he did a decent job.  I don't believe he deserved to be fired but he was and as it turned out it worked out great for the Jets.

Rex wasn't the GM either and Rex gave us 2 shots at a SB.

Favre was still a top QB when the Jets acquired him and he'd have arguably his best season a year later in Minnesota. The problem was he never wanted to be here and he played like it.

Rex elevated the franchise, we haven't recovered since.

14 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

She's also hot.

I'm sorry you've never had sex? ...with someone who you find attractive, funny and interesting. It's way better than someone who is just 'hot'

'Hot' is more important than the other 3 if we're talking fantasy.

Also, anna kendrick is average. I wasn't even aware that she had a fan-base outside spotty faced teenage girls.

To keep this on topic, anna is the mark sanchez of actresses/entertainers.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Favre was never, ever going to stay here.  Rex said if we hadn't drafted Sanchez he would have flown out to Mississippi to beg Favre to come back.  Wouldn't have worked.  He was on a revenge path.  

Half a chub! I grew a minimum of three sizes when we knocked off the 10-0 titans in their stadium. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

'Hot' is more important than the other 3 if we're talking fantasy.

Also, anna kendrick is average. I wasn't even aware that she had a fan-base outside spotty faced teenage girls.

To keep this on topic, anna is the mark sanchez of actresses/entertainers.

looks at profile image...checks out.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I get it.  The draft is a crapshoot and all, yadda yadda yadda.

Doesn't explain how certain teams always seem to be taking guys we wish we could have taken AT THE TIME, with hindsight proving us correct.  

The Ravens and Saints come to mind.  And more recently the Chiefs.  

Understood.  We did the next best thing and selected a GM who was in on some of that consistent draft goodness.  Fingers crossed but it looks good so far.

What would be a really good trick if our luck changed and we squeezed some residual value from the last of the Mike Maccagnen players (picks or FAs)

BTW I was actually trying to get a rise out of Tomshane on the Matt Leinart reference but he seems to be keeping his powder dry.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

I don't care what the article said, he outplayed the other guy in camp. Their plan was using him as insurance in case they didn't feel the young guys were ready to play.

“Facts don’t matter, I cling to my beliefs, regardless.”

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, slats said:

“Facts don’t matter, I cling to my beliefs, regardless.”

Those weren't facts, it was a fluff piece.  If he had a legitimate chance he starts week 1. Doesn't mean he keeps the job but he gets it out of camp.  That wasn't their plan.

3 hours ago, y2k8 said:

The life of a Jets Fan is an endless "what if?" discussion, lol.

11 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Those weren't facts, it was a fluff piece.  If he had a legitimate chance he starts week 1. Doesn't mean he keeps the job but he gets it out of camp.  That wasn't their plan.

Post me an article about how they only brought in Sanchez as vet insurance. I’ll wait. I can find a bunch about how he was the presumptive starter and how Siemian beating him out was considered a shock. About how he went from #1 to off the team in a matter of weeks. Know why? Because that’s the way it went down  

But yeah, he was doing great in Denver. That’s why he landed another job immediately. 

Dude, give this nonsense a rest already. 

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, slats said:

Post me an article about how they only brought in Sanchez as vet insurance. I’ll wait. I can find a bunch about how he was the presumptive starter and how Siemian beating him out was considered a shock. About how he went from #1 to off the team in a matter of weeks. Know why? Because that’s the way it went down  

But yeah, he was doing great in Denver. That’s why he landed another job immediately. 

Dude, give this nonsense a rest already. 

He never, ever will.  He always has to get the last word.  He's worse than the Ape.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, EM31 said:

A BS argument like "what if Sanchez won a Super  Bowl"?  This is a message board. It's all BS arguments.