Jets Sign Flacco

15 hours ago, johnnyjet said:

If you don’t like this your not paying attention.....Sam needs this guy behind him with his experience....not a threat but a solid backup.  Faales. Cmon man. He’s a xfl cut. Great move by JD. 

i joke about joe flaccid...  but , i guess it's an ok move...   or he may never be medically cleared...

just b/c someone may not like it doesnt mean they are behind Fales...  not even remotely the same thing

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Youre going to knock him because in two games, against and all time great team, all time franchise, GOAT defensive HC and a GOAT at QB he scored more than that other team in each games and won?  

I hate him and that name too.  I can argue against him going in, weakly, but come on, those two games aren't anything to complain about.  I'd take two 3-0 SB wins

I'm not necessarily knocking him for those games. But the fact that he won those games is the only reason anybody talks about him in the context of a HoF QB so it's important to note he wasn't really the reason they won them.

25 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'm not necessarily knocking him for those games. But the fact that he won those games is the only reason anybody talks about him in the context of a HoF QB so it's important to note he wasn't really the reason they won them.

Well not knocking him for those games but not giving him any credit for those wins.  Im not getting what him being or not being a HOF QB has to do with he made HUGE throws in both of those SB wins to win or put the win away.  I mean that's just the unfortunate truth from those wins. 

All this also ignores that he was an integral part of the equation when it comes to getting to the playoffs and wins in the playoffs to get to their SBs.  

7 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Does Flacco come in if Sam stinks it up the first 8 games??

Its a legit question. Instead of placing a thumbs down maybe you could write your opinion...maybe?

Doing both.

The Jets will not be benching Sam Darnold this season, as they shouldn’t. Jets will have four or five new starters on the OL, two new starters at WR, and a TE coming back from a year off. Oh, and two of those new starters will be rookies. And this will be an abbreviated offseason. I’m expecting a much stronger second half of the season for the offense over the first, and that’s without taking a glance at the schedule. It’s gonna take a while for all those new pieces to get on the same page. 

On 5/22/2020 at 3:51 PM, ChuckkieB said:

Great signing!  A veteran backup is the smart way to go. The division is wide open.  Can't give away games with a terrible backup QB like the Jets have for the past few years.

If it was JD's intention all along to sign a vet backup QB, can we now all agree that James Morgan in the 4th round was a silly pick?

Silly pick?, nah it just makes it better.  Gives Morgan time to develop for the future.  While Flacco is a solid backup.

Having Flacco as our #2 is a lot better than most other options out there. I want no part of Cam Newton. That would be a bad fit with the Jets. This is Sam’s team. He’s gonna have to completely crap the bed to lose his job. You don’t invest in a QB like this only to pull the plug after a few bad games. This kid will be 23 years old in a few weeks. 

23. He’s a baby. His growth curve is right on track. If JD continues to kill it with smart moves, Sam is gonna be ready for a deep playoff run/SB appearance in a couple of years. 

My crystal ball says so. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Eli Manning literally was a career .500 QB. Joe Flacco has a significantly better winning percentage.

Winning it all I meant. Eli won multiple rings and threw a pass in a Super Bowl to win the game that will be in highlights till your great grandchildren retire.

On 5/22/2020 at 3:40 PM, BurnleyJet said:

Since 4th rounders pan out all the time..

I have no problem with it, it’s spending a 2 on the likes of Hack that’s a problem.

Since JD ran a master class on trading back I will take his draft on this occasion.

Plus people keep forgetting that he got that CB Bryce Hall on the 6th, and that we may have screwed the pats out of a QB. Make believe that it was they took Hall on the 4th, where he was projected, and Morgan on the 6th.

People are getting a little repetitive with this Morgan pick. God forbid he turns into a good player.

• Upvote 2

On 5/22/2020 at 10:48 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

This doesn't make sense to me.  What does Flacco (signed to a 1-year deal) have anything to do with Morgan (big armed prospect cheaply under contract for the next 4 years)?

Because I didn't like the idea of using a draft pick in the first 4 rds on a QB when we were going to need to sign a vet backup as it is. Morgan didn't change that. In truth I'm not even that big of a fan of drafting QB's who are a long shot to ever play in the league while we have a young franchise QB in house.  It's a waste imo.  Even if he develops, which Morgan probably will not, what's the use?  For some hope that we get a draft pick 4 years from now? We just used a draft pick on him. bird in the hand man. 

Id much rather just take care of the important back up QB role with a vet who can win a few games if need be. Go get an UDFA or a 7th to play the developmental QB game if you want. 

5 hours ago, ECURB said:

Winning it all I meant. Eli won multiple rings and threw a pass in a Super Bowl to win the game that will be in highlights till your great grandchildren retire.

Was it the pass or the catch that was impressive?

While Manziel looked great scrambling around it was Mike Evans who caught my eye.

Because I didn't like the idea of using a draft pick in the first 4 rds on a QB when we were going to need to sign a vet backup as it is. Morgan didn't change that. In truth I'm not even that big of a fan of drafting QB's who are a long shot to ever play in the league while we have a young franchise QB in house.  It's a waste imo.  Even if he develops, which Morgan probably will not, what's the use?  For some hope that we get a draft pick 4 years from now? We just used a draft pick on him. bird in the hand man.  Id much rather just take care of the important back up QB role with a vet who can win a few games if need be. Go get an UDFA or a 7th to play the developmental QB game if you want. 

The idea is for Morgan to be a cheap, quality backup for the final 3 years of his deal. I see nothing wrong with that, and it’s certainly not a “waste”.

If he shows anything at all we could end up trading him later on for a higher pick than we used on him. That’s more worthwhile than you state above. Who’s to say he isn’t, say, the next Kirk Cousins?

QBs are a commodity and I’ll never be opposed to a GM taking shots at them in the draft. Except Hackenberg, that is.

13 hours ago, slats said:

Doing both.

The Jets will not be benching Sam Darnold this season, as they shouldn’t. Jets will have four or five new starters on the OL, two new starters at WR, and a TE coming back from a year off. Oh, and two of those new starters will be rookies. And this will be an abbreviated offseason. I’m expecting a much stronger second half of the season for the offense over the first, and that’s without taking a glance at the schedule. It’s gonna take a while for all those new pieces to get on the same page. 

Good to see we are ramping up the excuses for next season for Darnold already in case he doesnt play well.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Well not knocking him for those games but not giving him any credit for those wins.  Im not getting what him being or not being a HOF QB has to do with he made HUGE throws in both of those SB wins to win or put the win away.  I mean that's just the unfortunate truth from those wins. 

All this also ignores that he was an integral part of the equation when it comes to getting to the playoffs and wins in the playoffs to get to their SBs.  

Yeah, we'll have to agree to disagree here. When the greatest offense in the history of football is held to 14 points I'm not going to heap praise on Eli Manning for making one or two big throws when the offense had only scored 10 points prior to the final drive.

The simple fact of the matter is that he was a career .500 QB despite having lots of talent around him for most of his career.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Yeah, we'll have to agree to disagree here. When the greatest offense in the history of football is held to 14 points I'm not going to heap praise on Eli Manning for making one or two big throws when the offense had only scored 10 points prior to the final drive.

The simple fact of the matter is that he was a career .500 QB despite having lots of talent around him for most of his career.

The Eli love is so strange, it's as if people didn't watch him on a weekly basis. He was never one of the best QBs in the league, he won 2 SBs the same way the Jets were close with Sanchez.  If you switch mark and Eli the Giants still win 2 SBs and the Jets still come up short. Those teams were led by great D and unfortunately our D didn't play great in either AFC Championship Game while the Giants D dominated throughout.

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Yeah, one or two big throws.  Like its easy and like it was only 1 or 2 throws.

What are we talking about, hes a career .500 QB with imaginary talent around him, because he is a .500 QB.  I agree as would anyone, its not news here.  His regular season record is what it is.  The imaginary talent is a new twist though.  I've never heard that they should have won more or that Eli held them back.  In fact their SBs are kind of improbable to me.  I NEVER thought at any time before or during those years that they won that they had even a chance to win the SB.  You've got that backwards IMO.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

The Eli love is so strange, it's as if people didn't watch him on a weekly basis. He was never one of the best QBs in the league, he won 2 SBs the same way the Jets were close with Sanchez.  If you switch mark and Eli the Giants still win 2 SBs and the Jets still come up short. Those teams were led by great D and unfortunately our D didn't play great in either AFC Championship Game while the Giants D dominated throughout.

And there is a nutshell is your constant knocking of Eli.

If you switch mark and Eli the Giants still win 2 SBs and the Jets still come up short.

No they dont, some people are losers and never can get over the hump.  Mark cant carry Elis jock.  Mark is a 3,000 yards per year QB, Eli is a 4,000 yard QB.  The only thing they have In common is the propensity to turn the ball over.  Marks TOs tend to cost the team more losses than Elis TOs though.  

2 days later, I marvel at how simple and near perfect this is for backup QB for 2020.  I'm sure the hope is that Morgan can be the back up in 2021, but there are always some QBs around like Flacco, willing to take under $5 million.  $1.5 is incredible (+ more for performance/incentives).  That $$$ amount is another reason to be happy we have Mr. Joe Douglas making decisions.  Decisions.  We can all understand why Mac was always so indecisive (that being one of the around-the-league anonymous descriptions of him).  Why?  Because when he did make a decision it was almost always wrong.  But specifically w/regard to back up QB, Mac  deemed it wise to pay $10 million to McCown for a year on the bench.  Too bad it was the year we didn't need him.  He vastly overpaid Fitzpatrick as well in his last time around.  LOL.  Mac has been in self-quarantine for a year before corona virus, btw, so something good came of it for him.    

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And there is a nutshell is your constant knocking of Eli.

If you switch mark and Eli the Giants still win 2 SBs and the Jets still come up short.

No they dont, some people are losers and never can get over the hump.  Mark cant carry Elis jock.  Mark is a 3,000 yards per year QB, Eli is a 4,000 yard QB.  The only thing they have In common is the propensity to turn the ball over.  Marks TOs tend to cost the team more losses than Elis TOs though.  

Eli played 15 years and won playoff games in 2 postseasons, mark played 4 and won playoff games in 2 postseasons.

Eli never won a playoff game when his defense allowed more than 20 points.

In 4 postseason losses Eli led his O to 10.5 PPG, in 2 for mark he led his O to 17 PPG.

The Giants consistenty brought in talent for Eli from day 1 until his second benching in 2019. Mark had talent around him for 2 years and made the playoffs those 2 years.

Switch the situations and the Giants win those 2 SBs and mark is putting up bigger numbers.  Eli was not a difference maker it he wouldn't be a .500 career QB (Mark was over .500 by the way)

Eli was never a top QB, the closest was 2011 but that team was going nowhere until the D took over late in the season.

Eli won 2 conference championship games and 2 SBs without leading his O to more than 20 in regulation.  

Eli won 2 NFC Championship Games leading O to 20 & 17 in regulation, mark lost 2 AFC Championship Games leading his O to 17 & 17.

8 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Eli played 15 years and won playoff games in 2 postseasons, mark played 4 and won playoff games in 2 postseasons.

Eli never won a playoff game when his defense allowed more than 20 points.

In 4 postseason losses Eli led his O to 10.5 PPG, in 2 for mark he led his O to 17 PPG.

The Giants consistenty brought in talent for Eli from day 1 until his second benching in 2019. Mark had talent around him for 2 years and made the playoffs those 2 years.

Switch the situations and the Giants win those 2 SBs and mark is putting up bigger numbers.  Eli was not a difference maker it he wouldn't be a .500 career QB (Mark was over .500 by the way)

Eli was never a top QB, the closest was 2011 but that team was going nowhere until the D took over late in the season.

Eli won 2 conference championship games and 2 SBs without leading his O to more than 20 in regulation.  

Eli won 2 NFC Championship Games leading O to 20 & 17 in regulation, mark lost 2 AFC Championship Games leading his O to 17 & 17.

Here we go.  

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The idea is for Morgan to be a cheap, quality backup for the final 3 years of his deal. I see nothing wrong with that, and it’s certainly not a “waste”.

If he shows anything at all we could end up trading him later on for a higher pick than we used on him. That’s more worthwhile than you state above. Who’s to say he isn’t, say, the next Kirk Cousins?

QBs are a commodity and I’ll never be opposed to a GM taking shots at them in the draft. Except Hackenberg, that is.

I will but you a 10 pack of tacos if that happens. The odds are way against him and that every happening. As a matter of fact I will keep my eyes on the  6'2" Anthony Gordon an UDFA QB for the Seahawks out of Washington State. I bet they have similar careers and Gordan was had for free. Not a 4th. 

I believe in taking shots on QB's as well... to find a QB.  We have our guy.  Get a vet to sit behind him. There are plenty. And that's what we did even after drafting Morgan. And Flacco came for 1.5 mil .   Talk about cheap. 

You loved the Hack pick!  :) 

I will but you a 10 pack of tacos if that happens. The odds are way against him and that every happening. As a matter of fact I will keep my eyes on the  6'2" Anthony Gordon an UDFA QB for the Seahawks out of Washington State. I bet they have similar careers and Gordan was had for free. Not a 4th.  I believe in taking shots on QB's as well... to find a QB.  We have our guy.  Get a vet to sit behind him. There are plenty. And that's what we did even after drafting Morgan. And Flacco came for 1.5 mil .   Talk about cheap.   

You loved the Hack pick!   

You shut your lying whore mouth. I liked the Geno pick at the time it was made. HATED the Hackenberg pick.

Flacco was 1.5-4.5M....for 1 year. What next? Sign a vet QB every year, and potentially for more money than Flacco got? Nah. Draft your cheap backup. It’s a better use of a 4th than most other kinds of picks you can make. Develop him and see what you can get out of him.

And you’re also operating under the assumption that Darnold is the guy through hell and high water. If he isn’t a top 20 QB this year, it’ll be time to consider moving on. Having another young QB on the roster is smart when you aren’t 100% sold you have your franchise guy just yet.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Don't interact on this subject is you don't want to discuss reality.

I won't interact with you on pretty much any subject, we'll wind up a hundred different tangents.  Like here, where youre arguing why Eli doesnt deserve to go into the hall and all your long drawn out reasoning and guess what?  Hes going into the HOF.  He won those two SBs and all the talk that Mark would have done the same on those teams is fantasy talk.  

No reality anywhere in saying Mark could have won two Super Bowls.  Alternate reality from some realm

4 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

I will but you a 10 pack of tacos if that happens. The odds are way against him and that every happening. As a matter of fact I will keep my eyes on the  6'2" Anthony Gordon an UDFA QB for the Seahawks out of Washington State. I bet they have similar careers and Gordan was had for free. Not a 4th. 

I believe in taking shots on QB's as well... to find a QB.  We have our guy.  Get a vet to sit behind him. There are plenty. And that's what we did even after drafting Morgan. And Flacco came for 1.5 mil .   Talk about cheap. 

You loved the Hack pick!  :) 

A 6' 2", weak armed air raid QB over a 6'5" canon armed pocket passer who's game and scheme matches up to Darnold?   Morgan and Gordon aren't on the same prospect level or the same type of QB

I'll bet that any of the WRs everyone wanted taken with the 4th will be no better than who we have on the bottom of our lineup today.  

Eventually we had to have a longer term answer at backup on the roster and you have to spend a 4th or so on one with potential, it was worth the risk.  The payoff is better than any other player we could have lucked into with that 4th.  I just dont see where it wasn't worth the risk

And of course I wanted Morgan going into the draft, had him pegged for the backup, developmental spot.  My late picks never get picked so there's that, lol

6 hours ago, ECURB said:

Go watch the play. Both.

I might have misunderstood you. If you're talking Manning to Manningham ,an emphatic YES great throw and catch. While Manning to Tyree was more exciting scramble, heave,unreal catch.

Actually watched both games again ,loved watching the calls and bounces going against the patriots .

9 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

A 6' 2", weak armed air raid QB over a 6'5" canon armed pocket passer who's game and scheme matches up to Darnold?   Morgan and Gordon aren't on the same prospect level or the same type of QB

The point was really to state that there are project QB's that make it all the way to UDFA status. Not necessarily to compare the QB's.  I could have used many other examples if I was really looking for the actual measurables.  But I wouldn't be surprised to see their careers on similar trajectories. 

And this love for Morgan is funny to me. We would not even know his name if JD handn;t reached for a guy who threw for 14 TD's in the USA conference of college football in 2019.  Rocket arm? lol  He's a terribly inaccurate QB.  

So listen. I'm rooting for the guy just like you are but this idea that Shane Lemieux(meekly one example of the guys on the board when Morgan was taken) will not have a significantly better career than Morgan is just not accurate thinking. I could give you 20 guys I would have taken at that spot that were not there in the 5th. Most will have more impact for their teams than Morgan will for us.  We needed a backup QB. Great. Going to FIU to find one with a 4th rd pick is weak imo. That's all I'm really saying.  
We still needed a Flacco and got him for $1.5 

12 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Draft your cheap backup. It’s a better use of a 4th than most other kinds of picks you can make.

No it's not actually.  We have a young, potentially franchise QB. We need a vet. This We already have Fales as a developmental QB or we could have gotten one anywhere in the draft. Taking an FIU scrub because his arm is strong and we hope to parlay him into a draft pick in 4 years is hogwash. 

To be clear, I get every word youre saying. I just disagree.  I disagree with the actual player selected and I disagree with when and where he was taken.  We do ;t need that guy right now. We needed another Pass Rusher (Alton Robinson) WR (Gabriel Davis, Gandy Golden, Hope Reed OT (Tega Wonoghu, Jack Driscoll) G (Lemieux, Brtedeson) C (Biadasz) QB  Hell we could have gotten Fromm 30 picks later. (I don't like him for the record) or Jake Luton In the 6th. 

So whatever man.  lol  I'll do whatever I want with my whore mouth.  Currently its working on an entire bag of cashews.