Jets Sign Flacco

Given the possible quarantine of players during a season it isn't a terrible idea to have a vet backup at QB. 

Flacco is not good anymore (don't think he was any good) but as a backup, you aren't going to get much better. He can step in for 3/4 games and not completely kill you which is just about all you can ever ask from your backup QB. 

• Upvote 1

Has anyone else had the career trajectory of Flacco? First round pick, moderately skilled, won consistently with a very good team around him, eventually a Super Bowl. And then just average at best and in rapid decline after the first contract. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, PS17 said:

Has anyone else had the career trajectory of Flacco? First round pick, moderately skilled, won consistently with a very good team around him, eventually a Super Bowl. And then just average at best and in rapid decline after the first contract. 

Flacco really went into the tank (coasted, perhaps?) after his big payday after the SB win.

14 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Yes! No way we'll need a backup next year after Flacco retires. Lol stupid draft pick Morgan Boooo!

Not a big fan of the Morgan pick. What's done is done. I'm a little curious about the coincidence that Morgan has a lot of the same attributes as Flacco. It's like they have a "type" for back up QB. 

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Jetlife33 said:

McGovern-Flacco connection is something else to note. Flacco could maybe give a few tips to Darnold on his experience playing with our new C. 

Yeah like how much pressure to put on his balls

• Haha 1

beats-me.gif

I'm indifferent honestly. 

I absolutely loathe the endless recycling of worn out defunct old long-past-prime veteran QB's and the risk aversion of NFL Coaches and GM's to actually draft, develop and have faith in young QB's. 

Do I think Joe Flacco circa 2020 is particularly reliable or good?  Nope.  He's another 1-3 record type fill in, same as guys like McCown and Fitz and all the endless assortment of recycled old guys we've had before.  

On the other side, he's cheap, and if we had available cap space, nothing is really lost except opportunity for younger guys. 

If Darnold misses time for a third year in a row, I guess we're watching the Flacco show.  Doesn't excite me.  Doesn't bother me really either.  Anyway it's moot, folks say there is no way Darnold will miss time again, so moot is moot.

Still more interested to see Morgan play in preseason than Flacco.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Prez33 said:

Me, too. This doesn’t threaten Darnold in any way unless something crazy happens. Injury, bad play, a second bout of mono. 

Flacco is QB2. And the Jets are better for it. Just like the Frank Gore signing. A solid depth addition. 

Totally agree.. This gives us a legit chance to win  if Sam is out for some games. And we have Morgan as #3

1 hour ago, ChuckkieB said:

If it was JD's intention all along to sign a vet backup QB, can we now all agree that James Morgan in the 4th round was a silly pick?

Absolutely not in agreement there.  I wouldn't have signed a vet QB, but it doesn't negate the upside that drafting a QB can have.  At any given time there's only about 12 or so guys on the planet that can play the QB position at a high level.  Supply and demand suggests it can be worth a swing in the mid rounds from time to time in the hopes that you find someone like Kirk Cousins.  

If Morgan shows anything at all, he could easily get flipped a few years from now for as much as a 1st rounder.  

Plus rumor has it the Patriots were all set to take Morgan in the 5th round.  If true that makes the pick even better.  Not to mention, we still ended up grabbing a talented player in Bryce Hall in the 5th.  That was a guy a lot of people here wanted in the 4th round anyways.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1