"I encourage a team to sign Colin Kaepernick" - Roger Goodell

This must have gotten swallowed up in my news feed.  I am absolutely loving watching this league realize how completely and utterly wrong they were in this situation.  It is truly a wonderful story of redemption watching these cowards walk it back and admit they were cowards who ran from an issue and changed the narrative, instead of taking it head on.   

That said, who knows if he Colin can still play.  I assume he's still better than 90% of the back ups in this league.  But, being out of the league this long and trying to make a comeback is going to be tough.  So if Roger really wanted to put his money where his mouth is and Colin doesnt get back on an NFL roster, be a man and hire him to guide Diversity and Inclusion for the league.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29315784/encourage-team-sign-colin-kaepernick

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell: I 'encourage' a team to sign Colin Kaepernick
play
Jun 15, 2020
ESPN
Facebook
Twitter
Facebook Messenger
Pinterest
Email
print
NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said he supports and encourages teams to sign quarterback Colin Kaepernick.

Kaepernick, 32, has not played since the 2016 season, when as a member of the San Francisco 49ers he kneeled during the national anthem to protest racial inequality.

ADVERTISEMENT

In a conversation with Mike Greenberg for ESPN's The Return of Sports special, Goodell said it would be up to a team to sign Kaepernick and said he welcomes Kaepernick's voice on discussions of social issues.

"Well, listen, if he wants to resume his career in the NFL, then obviously it's going to take a team to make that decision," Goodell said. "But I welcome that, support a club making that decision and encourage them to do that.

"If his efforts are not on the field but continuing to work in this space, we welcome him to that table and to help us, guide us, help us make better decisions about the kinds of things that need to be done in the communities. We have invited him in before, and we want to make sure that everybody's welcome at that table and trying to help us deal with some very complex, difficult issues that have been around for a long time.

EDITOR'S PICKS

Ravens' Judon: Goodell late on backing BLM

Why it's time for the NFL to bring Colin Kaepernick back

Now that you're listening, Roger Goodell, here are ways for NFL to effect change
"But I hope we're at a point now where everybody's committed to making long-term, sustainable change."

Earlier this month, Goodell released a video apologizing on behalf of the NFL for not doing a better job of listening to players' concerns on racial inequality. Afterward, he was criticized for not mentioning Kaepernick by name.

In Monday's interview, he praised Kaepernick and others for raising issues such as racism and injustice.

"What they were talking about and what they were protesting and what they were trying to bring attention to was playing out right in front of us -- and tragically," Goodell said of why the NFL chose to speak up. "And so all of us saw that, and it was difficult for all of us. And so that was an important point for all of us."

Goodell also addressed reports Monday that some players on the Houston Texans and Dallas Cowboys have tested positive for COVID-19, saying that the league expects positive tests.

"So positive tests are going to happen," Goodell said. "The issue is, can we obviously prevent as many of those from happening, but in addition, treat them quickly, isolate them and prevent them from directly impacting our player personnel.

"So none of those players were in the facilities. All of those players, fortunately, have had either mild symptoms or are asymptomatic."

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

17 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Kap comes with waaaay too much baggage for a team to take him on. It would turn their season into a media circus. Then when he sucks how do you cut him without all eyes on you? Don't forget he walked away from a $9 mil deal he had with the 49ers then sabotaged his workout the NFL panned for him. His girlfriends mouth has certainly done him no favors either. And the pig socks were a nice touch too. I honestly feel he likes being in the martyr role rather than an NFL QB. I hope he never sees a NFL field again.

What about the Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer for the NFL? 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

So as not to appear that I am one side or the other, my thoughts are that if the NFL had a rule that every player must stand for the National Anthem, then they also have the right to fire anyone who chooses to break those rules. Anyone who is not self employed and works for a company knows there are rules that govern that company. It's your right to break them at your own risk, or choose to work for another company, but it's also their right to fire you if you don't follow those rules. 

On the other hand if the NFL did not have a rule that stated you must stand for the National Anthem, then Kap had every right to kneel in protest of his views, just as you have every right as a consumer to choose whether you want to support, or watch the NFL.  

Freedom of Speech in this county is a first amendment right. Nobody, has the right to take that away, not google, not facebook, twitter or anyone. There used to be a time in this country in the 60's when many people fought to keep those rights. Now it seems those same people want to limit or completely take them away. Simply unacceptable.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, rangerous said:

hasn't this dead horse been beaten enough.  kapernick was never that good in the first place.  can anyone imagine what would happen if a team signed him and then he was cut because he was a bad player?  what then?  of course the team would be blamed for some sort of discrimination when the reason would be because kapernick just isn't very good.  and if kapernick is on a team, how long before he complains about not getting a fair shot to start?  and this doesn't include the media circus that kapernick would bring with him.  

This is a good take.  What is more damaging?  Giving Kaep a shot at playing on team and having to cut him because he's not good enough or black balling him from the league for a peaceful protest that hundreds of other players participated in as well? 

Tough one, no doubt. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

If he was any good he would’ve had a job as soon as he opted out. 

now he is better than some guys that do have a job but not enough so to make the circus that would’ve followed him then or now worth the signing. It’s actually quite simple to see why he’s out of work. 

Sam Darnold goes down, Flacco isnt available, Fales (or whoever the 3rd string is) isnt available.  You have a call to make; its Luke Faulk or Colin Kaepernick, who's number do you dial? 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

33 minutes ago, JiF said:

So if Roger really wanted to put his money where his mouth is and Colin doesnt get back on an NFL roster, be a man and hire him to guide Diversity and Inclusion for the league.

That's a fantastic idea really.

You tried to silence him Rog. Man up and give him a microphone. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JiF said:

This is a good take.  What is more damaging?  Giving Kaep a shot at playing on team and having to cut him because he's not good enough or black balling him from the league for a peaceful protest that hundreds of other players participated in as well? 

Tough one, no doubt. 

I agree he was black balled... Should never happen, but it does all over the place. Doesn't mean I agree with his views, just his rights.

4 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

So as not to appear that I am one side or the other, my thoughts are that if the NFL had a rule that every player must stand for the National Anthem, then they also have the right to fire anyone who chooses to break those rules. Anyone who is not self employed and works for a company knows there are rules that govern that company. It's your right to break them at your own risk, or choose to work for another company, but it's also their right to fire you if you don't follow those rules. 

On the other hand if the NFL did not have a rule that stated you must stand for the National Anthem, then Kap had every right to kneel in protest of his views, just as you have every right as a consumer to choose whether you want to support, or watch the NFL.  

Freedom of Speech in this county is a first amendment right. Nobody, has the right to take that away, not google, not facebook, twitter or anyone. There used to be a time in this country in the 60's when many people fought to keep those rights. Now it seems those same people want to limit or completely take them away. Simply unacceptable.

The NFL is on it's knees begging for forgiveness right now. 

Is any of this really a question?  lol

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Not Colin Kaepernick.

Nothing to do with politics; he hasn't played in 3 years.  Reminder, he was only a starter for 3 years.  He's had more time away from the game then he did when he was in the game.  He may be a relevant story, but he's not a relevant player.

SAR I

6 years in the NFL, 3 years out of the NFL - math is the universal language. 

You'd call Luke Faulk.  Got it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Why would he play at this point? He got his massive payout from the league already and a huge contract with Nike. He turned down offers what two years ago? He’s been out of the league forever now. Last time he played he got benched for Gabbert. Remember his performance against the Jets in like 2016? He was horrendous.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

The NFL is on it's knees begging for forgiveness right now. 

Is any of this really a question?  lol

This is the wrong place for expressing my opinion and I'll leave it there.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Why would he play at this point? He got his massive payout from the league already and a huge contract with Nike. He turned down offers what two years ago? He’s been out of the league forever now. Last time he played he hot benched toe Gabbert. Remember his performance against the Jets in like 2016? He was horrendous.

I will present the same scenario.  You're allowed 1 call; Colin Kaepernick or Luke Faulk.  

• Post of the Week 2

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

He was injured several times.  He played badly.  He demanded a trade.  He was losing his starting job.  Then he did the kneeling.  

https://www.sbnation.com/a/colin-kaepernick-anthem-protest-timeline

He doesn't want to play.  He wants to continue his public pouting and publicity stunt because it makes him money.  Smart move for a guy whose career burned out in 2016.

SAR I

omg you believe this lol

Anywho, the NFL is on their knees begging for forgiveness and that's really all that matters to me.  People can have their opinions this thread really wasnt about that at all.  I even said who knows if he can still play.

The purpose of the thread was to celebrate Roger Goodell on his knees admitting how bad he ****ed this up.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Sam Darnold
Joe Flacco
James Morgan

We're good, thanks.

SAR I

You're not playing the game the right way, Sar.  I made the rules.  

I'm sorry but I have to ask you to sit on the sidelines and watch until you can follow directions. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

17 minutes ago, JiF said:

Sam Darnold goes down, Flacco isnt available, Fales (or whoever the 3rd string is) isnt available.  You have a call to make; its Luke Faulk or Colin Kaepernick, who's number do you dial? 

Hmmm seems like this scenario has played out on several teams over the last 3 years yet no one called Kap. Could it be his insane $$ demands ? Remember he wanted $20 mil from the XFL.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, JiF said:

You're not playing the game the right way, Sar.  I made the rules.  

I'm sorry but I have to ask you to sit on the sidelines and watch until you can follow directions. 

kP.jpg

I draw your attention to the games started column.  He was a 2-year wonder.  He was essentially an injured version of Mark Sanchez, and I don't recall you supporting Mark Sanchez to this extent despite his superior credentials and you being a Jets fan. 

SAR I

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1