All Things Alcohol

I bought a half case of Beck's Beer recently and had a long neck tonight with dinner. Back in the old days Becks was rated in the same class as Heineken, St. Pauli Girl, maybe a littler lower. I thought it was OK not great and not close to Heineken.  btw have a great 4th. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/7/2021 at 7:11 AM, Lith said:

Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale is probably pretty close to Newcastle.  I have not tried it, but I love the Samuel Smith stouts.  They are from similar areas in England and are both Northern England style brown ales whicch tend to be nuttier whereas the southern England style Browns, which I have tried in London are fruitier.  If you do find Samuel Smith, do yourself a favor and try one of their oatmeal stouts as well.

If you can't Samuel Smith's, Founders also makes a nice brown ale.  I have had it, but cannot recall how close it is in flavor to Newcastle.  Closer to hoome - assuming you are in NY, Brooklyn Brewery also makes a brown ale which should be easy to find.

Hey I almost forgot, I tried this awhile back. It was a pretty good beer but it didn't really remind me too much of Newcastle. I didn't end up seeing an oatmeal stout while I was at the liquor store. I think I like this whole style of English brown Ale in general so I'll probably think any of them are at least alright. You say there is a difference between Northern and Southern though? Hmmm next time I'll go and try a bunch of English Ales and compare and see which style I like more. Probably Northern but who knows. Also the site lists your birthday as today so if that's right have a good one man.

• Sympathy 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok I’m a big Sam Adams fan so when we saw a 28 pack of Sam Adams Octoberfest selling at BJs for $30 had to get one. I like it a lot a little lighter than Boston Lager. Just had a bottle tonight after work watching college football. Pretty happy camper minus Jets and this world. image.thumb.jpeg.0b27591cdb1f1eb5d2641dbf49c135df.jpeg

• Upvote 2

On 10/30/2021 at 4:06 PM, Rangers9 said:

Ok I’m a big Sam Adams fan so when we saw a 28 pack of Sam Adams Octoberfest selling at BJs for $30 had to get one. I like it a lot a little lighter than Boston Lager. Just had a bottle tonight after work watching college football. Pretty happy camper minus Jets and this world. image.thumb.jpeg.0b27591cdb1f1eb5d2641dbf49c135df.jpeg

I've never had Sam Adams but I've wanted to try it for a long time just haven't got around to it.

• Upvote 1

So I tried two new rums and a new whiskey semi recently let me see if I can remember what they were called to tell you all what I thought about them.

Spoiler

woodford-reserve-distillers-select-bourb

I didn't buy this so I have no idea if this is cheap or expensive or in the middle or what. It was pretty good though. It had flavor and some bite to let you know it will **** you up if you overdo it but not so much that it tasted like ass. I didn't buy it and I probably wouldn't buy it in the future but I did like it so if it gets left in my lap like this last time I will definitely accept it.

Spoiler

pol_pl_Plantation-Rum-Original-Dark-Trin

This one was also pretty good. A little sweet but it's rum so that kind of makes sense. I'm not the kind of guy that goes into all the wacky flavors like "ohhh a hint of cherry and mmmmm notes of vanilla mmmm a clean after taste etc etc". All I can tell you is it was pretty good and I liked it and I would buy it again...if not for the fact that the other bottle of rum I got I liked at least twice as much.

Spoiler

rum_cha2.jpg

This rum I liked a LOT. I normally don't buy the same bottle twice because I like to try new things but I might get this again. It was pretty affordable iirc (so was the other rum I think) and just really tasted like how I feel a rum should taste. Not too heavy on the spices but still a little funky and maybe not quite as alcoholic as some booze you can find but it will get the job done. I didn't mix it in any cocktails but now that I'm talking about it I think I will get a second bottle at some point and make a few drinks and see how they come out.

Oh and as an aside I tried one of those little sample bottles of the Kraken rum. It was ok but nothing to write home about. If it was available at a friends house or a party I wouldn't say no to it but I don't think it's something I'd spend money on for myself.

• 1 month later...

So it’s NYE and time to get this thread moving. Sure there’s a lot more interesting alcohol concoctions for tonight than I’m going to offer. We wanted wine tonight and gave our last bottle to our mailman last week even though he consistently delivers our next door neighbors mail to us and I have to go there to bring it over. We didn’t want to overshop tonight so we were at BJs and had to settle on what they had in stock which wasn’t much. So we tried getting a big bottle of white Zinfandel. Not recommended but it goes down smooth and fast and you’re feeling good after a few glasses. So maybe this year not too bad a choice.  Btw Happy New Year Jets fans. 

image.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/29/2022 at 7:40 AM, Barry McCockinner said:

Looking for a good mescal to try? I prefer reposado tequilas.

I grabbed a random mescal at the liquor store yesterday just to try it and it tasted like I was drinking chemicals straight out of a beaker in chemistry class.

Frustrated Clint Eastwood GIF

While not a mescal, we’re kind of partial to Baluarte and Milagro anjeos. 

• 1 month later...

I've never had a margarita before so I decided to look up a recipe and make my own.

I settled on this one by Martha Stewart (lol) and I think it turned out pretty good.

I did change one thing though instead of doing the rim with chili powder I used tajin and sugar instead.

And this is how I spent my Tuesday afternoon, hope everyone else is having a good week.

LZFiG9N.jpg

52 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Can any of you alch….  I mean altruistic gents recommend a brand of whiskey I can give as a gift , that won’t break my bank?  Thanks in advance 

Hmmm...I guess it depends what you consider breaking the bank. My opinion is Johnnie Walker Blue Label is one of the best bottles you can get and that'll usually run you $150-200. I have a friend who really likes Four Roses Single Barrel which runs about $40-50. @JiFapono @Stark or @The Crusher might be able to recommend something else.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DetroitRed said:

Can any of you alch….  I mean altruistic gents recommend a brand of whiskey I can give as a gift , that won’t break my bank?  Thanks in advance 

Suntory whisky (japanese) makes a very good ~80/bottle that I've recently been introduced to. Jefferson's Ocean is also a very pleasant burboun, around the same price point. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, freestater said:

Suntory whisky (japanese) makes a very good ~80/bottle that I've recently been introduced to. Jefferson's Ocean is also a very pleasant burboun, around the same price point. 

Appreciate you and @Nolder.

Yes, my bank will be less than $100.   I will consider them both

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Nolder said:

Hmmm...I guess it depends what you consider breaking the bank. My opinion is Johnnie Walker Blue Label is one of the best bottles you can get and that'll usually run you $150-200. I have a friend who really likes Four Roses Single Barrel which runs about $40-50. @JiFapono @Stark or @The Crusher might be able to recommend something else.

Bottle of Basel  Haden is delightful. 

• Upvote 2