Becton looks to be in good shape

On 7/30/2020 at 9:13 AM, slats said:

This has been my plan for him for a long time, and it's no knock on him, either. He's young and somewhat inexperienced in pass protection. There's nothing wrong with letting him get acclimated on the right side. I think he could be a monster in the running game there as a rookie. For me, it would come down to not only how much faith I had in him to play the left side right away, but also who I thought was better; Fant at LT or Edoga at RT. 

I don't usually get excited about OL picks, but I really do think Becton's upside is HoF. 

My issue with playing him at RT is that you are essentially changing all the movements from what he did in 2019 as he acclimates to the NFL, all with the plan of likely changing them all back in 2021 when we put him at LT - why exactly is that smart?

I get that Fant wants to be a LT and has played there but Id rather have each of these guys practice in one position and stay there, hopefully for the next few years (Fant), and 10 years for Becton.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, BCJet said:

My issue with playing him at RT is that you are essentially changing all the movements from what he did in 2019 as he acclimates to the NFL, all with the plan of likely changing them all back in 2021 when we put him at LT - why exactly is that smart?

I get that Fant wants to be a LT and has played there but Id rather have each of these guys practice in one position and stay there, hopefully for the next few years (Fant), and 10 years for Becton.

Agreed.  You drafted the kid at 11 to be your LT for the next decade, just put him there and let him learn.  Is playing RT really that much easier?  No.  Plus it’s not like there is some entrenched veteran already playing LT.  Fant was merely draft insurance in case the board didn’t fall the Jets way in regards to a LT.   Luckily it fell perfectly.  Start the kid, he’s capable and should get as many reps as physically possible at LT. 

48 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I really don't believe that playing on the left or right side will have any negative impact on his development. If they think that, I guess they can factor that in, too. For me, it would come down to my evaluation of the team's three OTs. Do I think Becton is an NFL ready LT? Who do I think is better, Edoga at RT or Fant at LT? My personal feeling is that Becton is very young and somewhat inexperienced in pass protection. I'm also hopeful that the LT they bought in FA is better at his job than Edoga is at his. If they're thinking the same way, then starting Becton on the right side makes a lot of sense. The much bigger adjustment in the NFL is the size, speed, and strength of the competition. I like the idea of Becton learning that on the job without the added responsibility of protecting Darnold's blind side. I just think it makes sense. I also think Becton would be a moose in the running game on the right, and that if Fant is surprisingly good at LT (speculation!), I wouldn't mind leaving Becton at RT for another year or two. If not, I see no debilitating issue with swapping him over to LT next season or even during this one. I think the whole left-right side thing is a little overblown, and that it's better for every OL to have some versatility. 

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Why is it so boom or bust?  He’s only 5-10 lbs heavier than Trent Brown

Players aren't deemed good or bad or risky it safe by weight alone. That was much of what was written about him, or he'd have been the first tackle taken (or at least the second). 

Anyway it was commonly written about him, not that it was my own personal opinion in the face of everyone else who said he was a can't miss prospect. 

I'm optimistic, but fan optimism has no effect on actual results.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Players aren't deemed good or bad or risky it safe by weight alone. That was much of what was written about him, or he'd have been the first tackle taken (or at least the second). 

Anyway it was commonly written about him, not that it was my own personal opinion in the face of everyone else who said he was a can't miss prospect. 

I'm optimistic, but fan optimism has no effect on actual results.

I think another part of the boom or bust talk was about the lack of true pass sets. Louisville didn't run a lot of professional pass sets so Becton wasn't able to highlight his pass protection skills as much as the other prominent tackles in the draft. That doesn't mean he isn't capable of pass protecting - just that a smaller sample size means more variance in expected results - which leads people to conclude he is a boom or bust. I don't see Becton flopping. I could easily see him struggling as a rookie because a lot of tackles do struggle, but I think 3-4 years out his floor is great run blocker mediocre pass protector. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.  You drafted the kid at 11 to be your LT for the next decade, just put him there and let him learn.  Is playing RT really that much easier?  No.  Plus it’s not like there is some entrenched veteran already playing LT.  Fant was merely draft insurance in case the board didn’t fall the Jets way in regards to a LT.   Luckily it fell perfectly.  Start the kid, he’s capable and should get as many reps as physically possible at LT. 

Better players to defend for the LT.  

That said, I dont have a problem with putting him at LT if he shows anything in camp. 

6 hours ago, BCJet said:

With the practice schedule there is no way I am starting Becton at LT. Couple reasons. First Fant is better at LT than RT and is much more experienced. Second, they call it the strong side for a reason. Giving Becton lots of TE help and even unbalanced line right will help him grow into the position. Plus long term him knowing right and left tackle is a plus. We may pick left tackle in the first again next year.

9 hours ago, johnnysd said:

With the practice schedule there is no way I am starting Becton at LT. Couple reasons. First Fant is better at LT than RT and is much more experienced. Second, they call it the strong side for a reason. Giving Becton lots of TE help and even unbalanced line right will help him grow into the position. Plus long term him knowing right and left tackle is a plus. We may pick left tackle in the first again next year.

I’m warming up to Fant starting at LT at least the first couple games.  Let Becton develop at RT first

• Upvote 1

On 8/1/2020 at 1:52 PM, Columbia Jet Fan said:

I think another part of the boom or bust talk was about the lack of true pass sets. Louisville didn't run a lot of professional pass sets so Becton wasn't able to highlight his pass protection skills as much as the other prominent tackles in the draft. That doesn't mean he isn't capable of pass protecting - just that a smaller sample size means more variance in expected results - which leads people to conclude he is a boom or bust. I don't see Becton flopping. I could easily see him struggling as a rookie because a lot of tackles do struggle, but I think 3-4 years out his floor is great run blocker mediocre pass protector. 

I think if there was a believe he was "incapable" he'd have never been talked of as a day 1 (or even day 2) pick.

Boom or bust means just that there's less certainty that he'll be able to do it, and that if he can't he'll be an outright liability; but if he can put it together he won't be just ok he'll be great.

• 3 years later...
On 7/29/2020 at 6:02 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

If he figures things out from the neck up, and isn't just an enormo-body with raw athleticism, this will be one of the best picks the team has ever made. I wish he wasn't considered so much boom-or-bust, since the latter would be a major setback, but it seems his upside is to be the best tackle in the league. 

Looks like he’s trimmed down. Another 50 pounds and away we go……

9 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Looks like he’s trimmed down. Another 50 pounds and away we go……

Well it's safe to say in hindsight he most certainly didn't figure things out from the neck down.

I'm the last guy who'd be touting an ability to accurately rate prospects, though. All I have is hope they hit their alleged upsides. 

Basically I'm haploid Joe Douglas.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well it's safe to say in hindsight he most certainly didn't figure things out from the neck down.

I'm the last guy who'd be touting an ability to accurately rate prospects, though. All I have is hope they hit their alleged upsides. 

Basically I'm haploid Joe Douglas.

Actually thought this was a new thread. I'm such an adealistic romantic its absurd.  Prerequsite for being a Jets fan.

• Haha 3