Trevor Talk

JetBlue

Lets face it guys, even when we get everyone back this team will still have a hard time winning against this schedule and with this HC.   The last thing I want to see is us winning some meaningless games in December and as a result lose out on drafting Lawrence or whom ever emerges (ala Joe Burrow) as the sure fire best quarterback in the country.  I am hard pressed to believe there is anyone better than Lawrence at this point.   The way the league is going, the Jets will be going up against Mahomes, Murray, Jackson, Allen, Wilson, Wentz, Newton, Mayfield, Watson etc.  Jury is out on Tua, Burrow and Herbert but so far Burrow and Herbert look promising.  

Of course the first order of business will be to fire Gase and get a true Quarterback Whsiperer/Offensive minded Coach in here, perhaps from the college ranks, with proven results. 

I know it is not impossible for Darnold to turn things around but if we have a chance to "upgrade" to Lawrence, that should be the overriding objective.   I realize this is crazy premature but I am so sick and tired of watching other teams acquire their FQBs and we keep picking duds.   I'm saying this and at the same time really have (or had?) high hopes for Darnold, but he seems to be regressing and incapable of raising the level of play around him and continues to make poor decisions with the ball.   Sure the lack of healthy receivers have hurt but it can't all be put on that.  Not when you are missing wide open recievers or making poor reads.   I had made thread several months ago that this was going to be Darnolds year, and it isn't too late for him to turn it around, but so far he has been a major disappointment.  Lets hope our GM will not make the mistake of past regimes and avoid taking a QB only because we have one that was taken 3rd just a few years ago.  Fortunately, JD wasn't the one who drafted him so he owes him no allegiance.   It will all be about what transpires on the field.   

Who are the teams that will compete for Trevor? I see seven teams including us as favorites for the number one pick. Washington,  Jacksonville, New York giants,  Denver Broncos, Cincinnati Bengals, New York Jets. Look into your crystal ball and figure out who is the favorite and why: strength of schedule, roster, teams overall potential, coaching,  etc. it’s gonna be a shootout. And what do we do if we land it he #1 pick ? 

1 minute ago, Wonderboy said:

Who are the teams that will compete for Trevor? I see seven teams including us as favorites for the number one pick. Washington,  Jacksonville, New York giants,  Denver Broncos, Cincinnati Bengals, New York Jets. Look into your crystal ball and figure out who is the favorite and why: strength of schedule, roster, teams overall potential, coaching,  etc. it’s gonna be a shootout. And what do we do if we land it he #1 pick ? 

Cinncinnati has Burrow so they are out.  The Giants have Jones; unless he is a complete disaster this year, I can't see them taking him.  That leaves Washington, Jacksonville and Denver based on what you have posted.   The Jets are a worse team than all of them as far as I'm concerned. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Trevor Lawrence will be proudly representing the newly christened and re-colored Washington Warthogs on opening day 2021.

The Jets will pick 3rd, and select a WR.

You will not win the lottery.

OIP.2noP3XX39keLNcpVyKQCDQHaHa?pid=Api&r

Washington is a better team than the Jets and will have a better record than us.  Book it. 

• Upvote 4

Just now, Warfish said:

No NFL team tanks.  We will win meaningless games late. 

Stop investing in specific picks or players or plans to lose, that road is only disappointment.

I know and have heard that for years, it doesn't matter whether teams take on purpose or not (they do and you know it), this team is so lousy and our schedule so tough, even if they played their hearts out, I could still see us with the worst record in the league.   

Just now, JetBlue said:

Cinncinnati has Burrow so they are out.  The Giants have Jones; unless he is a complete disaster this year, I can't see them taking him.  That leaves Washington, Jacksonville and Denver based on what you have posted.   The Jets are a worse team than all of them as far as I'm concerned. 

Regardless if a team has a QB, like the Gints or us, doesn’t preclude taking Trevor.  Agree the Bungles will have a better record than us so let’s take them out of the equation. Heck even Washington has played pretty competitively thus far. 

Regardless if a team has a QB, like the Gints or us, doesn’t preclude taking Trevor.  Agree the Bungles will have a better record than us so let’s take them out of the equation. Heck even Washington has played pretty competitively thus far. 

I think every team mentioned will have a better record then us to be honest, so doesn't really matter who they want to pick.  this is a season where we really are looking like the worst team in football.   Maybe when we get our walking wounded back, things will look different, but as of now, We're number 1 Baby!  

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

If we land #1 we take Trevor, and I still believe in Sam. You’d be stupid not to make that pick though.

I think the only real competition we’ll face is from NYG. We look like the only 2-win teams in football. The others all look capable of 3+ wins.

Jax has Minshew. He can’t possibly play as bad as he did yesterday throughout the season. They will win 4-5 games. If it’s between us and Giants, who has the edge?

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

No, they wouldn't be, because they'd trade down from that spot to a team that needs a QB.  We'd have to be one of those teams looking to move up, unless perhaps we like someone more than Lawrence.

Any team picking ahead of us hurts us.  

Do you REALLY think Cinncinnati will have a worst record than us??  I don't see it.   

• Upvote 1

No, they wouldn't be, because they'd trade down from that spot to a team that needs a QB.  We'd have to be one of those teams looking to move up, unless perhaps we like someone more than Lawrence.

Any team picking ahead of us hurts us.  

Bengals absolutely crushed us last year. They have a lot of young talent and Burrows has played well. I can see them winning 3-5 games this year thus eliminating them from the top pick.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Jax has Minshew. He can’t possibly play as bad as he did yesterday throughout the season. They will win 4-5 games. If it’s between us and Giants, who has the edge?

Giants will win more games most likely but again this is the Jets.  A franchise who is known for snatching defeat out of the mouth of victory, so we probably can bank on a few meaningless wins in December to "salvage the season" and **** up our draft position.  

• Haha 1

No.  But that's not what I'm arguing.  If they DO finish worse than us, they're not "out" on Lawrence, because they'd trade down.  It doesn't matter if a team needs a QB or not.  Any team picking ahead of us hurts our chances of drafting our QB of choice.  

Dude, I am seriously convinced we will have the worst record in the league. I mean based on what we have seen, who is worse?  I realize things can change but as of right now, what team do think will finish with a worse record?  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No NFL team tanks.  We will win meaningless games late. 

Stop investing in specific picks or players or plans to lose, that road is only disappointment.

If they don't, then they should.  NBA teams do and everyone knows they do, so its not like its this conspiracy theory to suggest a pro team purposely puts its team in a position to lose.  It's a viable strategy, sadly.

And of course that would need to be front office-driven.  No coaching staff or player purposely tries to lose.  Those decisions have to come from higher up.

Firing a coach midseason is the easiest way to tank.  Then, the GM can direct the interim coach to play the young guys.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Zero chance the Jets are picking #1. Haven't we gone through this before? We're not going to be in a position to land either QB unless they fall. After the first 2 games, the Jets will pick somewhere in the back half of the top 10

Based on what exactly?  What have you seen so far this season to come to that conclusion?  Not saying you are wrong but what is this opinion based on? I am looking at this team and it's roster, CS, long list of injuries etc.   I see nothing to give me confidence that we can win more than 3 or 4 games this season.  What other teams do you see as worse? 

8 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

I know and have heard that for years, it doesn't matter whether teams take on purpose or not (they do and you know it), this team is so lousy and our schedule so tough, even if they played their hearts out, I could still see us with the worst record in the league.   

We're not picking #1.  

If we do, this Franchise should be relegated out of the NFL, European Soccer style, and replaced with an expansion team in Norfolk/Richmond.

JMO.  Go Norfolk Tides!  Go Richmond Generals!  

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

If we land #1 we take Trevor, and I still believe in Sam. You’d be stupid not to make that pick though.

I think the only real competition we’ll face is from NYG. We look like the only 2-win teams in football. The others all look capable of 3+ wins.

I have not paid much attention to the Giants but it would be like them to **** us over.... 

• Haha 1

Hi Trevor welcome to the NY jets and let me introduce you o your new coach adam gase and your top two receivers chris hogan and braxton berrios.

If the Jets ended up with #1 overall I still would not take lawrence but would try and trade for a bounty of picks.

Unlike most on here I simply do not view lawrence as a can't miss prospect.

We must build the team first then get the QB.

• Post of the Week 2

3 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Based on what exactly?  What have you seen so far this season to come to that conclusion?  Not saying you are wrong but what is this opinion based on? I am looking at this team and it's roster, CS, long list of injuries etc.   I see nothing to give me confidence that we can win more than 3 or 4 games this season.  What other teams do you see as worse? 

This team and coach are garbage for sure right now but most, if not all of these injured players should be back in 2-4 weeks. This offense will look much different with perriman, crowder, mims, and bell on the field at the same time (god willing). Even with our horrible coach.

6 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

History - this isn't the first year we've all felt we were gonna end at #1. Last year we all thought the same exact thing as we do right now and finished 7-9

Not sure which games we'll win, but rest assured the Jets are about to win at least a couple of games they shouldn't