Jets La'Mical Perine will have the chance to show he's the teams future at RB

joewilly12

Jets’ La’Mical Perine will have the chance to show he’s the team’s future at running back

Updated 7:43 AM; Today 7:43 AM 
La'Mical Perine

New York Jets running back La'Mical Perine should be in line for a larger role when the team plays the Indianapolis Colts on Sunday.AP

While the Jets are dealing with numerous injuries on offense, one player appears to be ready to make a bigger impact after recovering.

Rookie running back La’Mical Perine will be active again when the Jets visit the Indianapolis Colts on Sunday, now fully recovered from an ankle injury he suffered during training camp. Perine made his NFL debut in Week 2′s loss to the San Fransisco 49ers, but he no longer carries an injury designation after being a full participant in practice on Thursday and Friday.

Perine got three carries in his first game, going for 17 yards, and now head coach Adam Gase expects to get him more involved behind Frank Gore.

“We’re hoping to kind of really spread the workload out a little more to where we can make sure we do a good job of getting Frank through an entire game instead of kind of really burning him out in the first half,” Gase said. “So, I feel good about kind of the rotation that we’re talking about going through, and it’s just all about if we can keep everybody available for the whole game that’s really what we want.”

Perine showed some of his explosive potential during training camp, running for a 79-yard touchdown in a preseason intra-squad scrimmage before adding another 36-yard run later that same day. Gase also likes Perine’s ability as a pass catcher, so he could see some work there, especially with Le’Veon Bell hurt and so many other injuries to Jets wide receivers.

Perine said there were some nerves during his NFL debut last week, so he hopes to use that brief experience as a stepping stone to his second game.

“I feel like I’m mentally and physically prepared,” Perine said. “I feel way more confident than I felt last week, because that was ‚y first NFL game being in. So I’m hoping that I can just improve week to week, and hoping we come out with this W. That’s my biggest goal. I feel very comfortable in myself and my offense.”

Since entering camp, Perine has worked closely with Gore, trying to absorb anything from the veteran running back ahead of his first NFL season. 

“Like I told, he’s just got to go out there and be himself. Just go play,” Gore said. “I know whenever he gets in, I know he’s ready. Very smart kid and he loves to play football.”

52 minutes ago, slats said:

He'll get plenty of chances. He's the only RB on this year's roster that'll still be here next year. 

Theoretically, he should. I remain skeptical that he will. 

You and I may see ‘plenty’ as 15-18 carries. Gase might see it as 5-8. I don’t trust him. 

• Upvote 2

Honestly, I can't gauge any of these types of articles accurately because of Gase. A guy will be poised for an expanded role and he will barely use him. A guy will be really good at a certain aspect of the game and he will try to force him to do something else. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he force-fed the ball to Gore and used Perine sparingly in predictable situations. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Honestly, I can't gauge any of these types of articles accurately because of Gase. A guy will be poised for an expanded role and he will barely use him. A guy will be really good at a certain aspect of the game and he will try to force him to do something else. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he force-fed the ball to Gore and used Perine sparingly in predictable situations. 

He’ll probably get a heavy load once we’re in garbage time which will be around 5 minutes left in the first half.

I hope the kid is special but he will be up against it with two backup lineman playing.  Hopefully the run the ball behind Becton a bit more.  Bad enough we had all new guys but now we got new guys backups in there as well. Really tough sledding for the rookie and Sam doesn't seem to have a chance either with our line and receivers.  Never know as they say, it why they play em all but don't look good.

In a deep fantasy football league I grabbed Perine and stashed him as the last player on my roster.  I have two guys on IR right now.  He's a lottery ticket but in a lost season we best believe that, if healthy, Perine will be getting a bunch of touches by November/December as the Jets try to figure out what they have in him.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Frank Gore is a better option for that. 

Perine is going for 100 yards tomorrow. 

Gore is so old, his Hamstings have actually calcified and then hardened through petrification into a slow, but indestructible substance....

Same thing that happened to Tom Bradys vagina, supposedly. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Our offensive line hasn’t opened a hole for a runningback in almost a decade. A road grading RT must be a priority next season. Stud guard would be nice as well. 

BUT acquiring talent a waste with dis team brooooooooooooooooo

• Upvote 1