Give Douglas the time to build; Lawrence to learn

AL047

If the Jets wind up with the #1 pick in the draft and take QB Trevor Lawrence, I will have him hold the clipboard until I feel he's ready and he has talent surrounded around him. If it takes two years so be it!!!! This team has NO FOUNDATION now!!!! It won't have a foundation next year either!!! Let him learn the offensive system and reading defenses sitting the bench!!!! He will be ready when he has the talent surrounding him and knows the offense and defense. 

Right now if you draft him, what he's inheriting is this mess of a team. Seriously, he will be coming in to fail and fall flat on his face and start looking for a new QB all over again. Remember Trevor Lawrence is no miracle worker at all!!!!  You can't fix this team in one year with one draft or free agent signing, Not even a well respected coach can be a miracle worker or can fix this team in one year like most think!!!!

GM Joe Douglas is building and he is seeing what we see and knows that following like his predecessors is why they failed and this team is going nowhere!!!! He is doing what Mike Tannenbaum, Idzik and Maccagnan never really thought of doing and neither had a full proof plan to do it. Douglas has begun to build this team through the draft and not by throwing big contracts at free agents. No past GM for this team has tried rebuilding and that's what is left to do. Look at all the good teams that repeat going to the playoffs they build through the draft. This is the very last thing the Jets will be doing is build through the draft not signing big free agents (Its been done and nothing). Let Douglas do his job as GM!!! This will not take one or two years to fix!!!!

If the Jets have the first pick, Trevor Lawrence will force the Jets to trade him or trade the pick.

He will refuse to play for this embarrassment.  

He has every bit the leverage Elway and Eli had.  Maybe more because the Jets are an abomination that should be kicked out of the league.

• Post of the Week 3

Sorry, the days of a QB holding a clip board are over. Mahomes was in a situation where KC had a competent  QB he cod watch but he was in there the very next season

Look at Murray, look at Allen, look at baker, look at any highly drafted QB.

The reason is, you have to find out what you have by the third year before you have to put a mega deal on the table.  

If Lawrence is pick, he will start day 1. 

7 minutes ago, AL047 said:

If the Jets wind up with the #1 pick in the draft and take QB Trevor Lawrence,

Trevor Lawrence will NEVER be a NY Jet.

He'd quit football before he comes here.  He'd pull a Peyton Manning, or a Eli Manning, to get away from us.

The NY Jets are a death sentence for QB's.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

If the Jets have the first pick, Trevor Lawrence will force the Jets to trade him or trade the pick.

He has every bit the leverage Elway and Eli had.  Maybe more because the Jets are an abomination that should be kicked out of the league.

a NY QB makes more money. I think he does no such thing

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Trevor Lawrence will NEVER be a NY Jet.

He'd quit football before he comes here.  He'd pull a Peyton Manning, or a Eli Manning, to get away from us.

The NY Jets are a death sentence for QB's.

You know I agree with you...

Unless the Jets convince that hillbilly bumpkin' Dabo Swinney to come with him...

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, RoadFan said:

That’s going to be the tipping point for most fans. We go 0-16, worst year ever and secure the top pick. Generational QB prospect and we have the coveted top pick. He refuses to play here because we are a complete disgrace of a team and miss out on him after the false hope. It’s going to be INSANE when that happens.

I’m serious when I said they should just get rid of the Jets and add a new expansion team somewhere. Mutually beneficial for all parties involved. NFL should force the Johnson’s out and pay them accordingly. 

• Sympathy 2

1 minute ago, Creepy Lurker said:

That’s going to be the tipping point for most fans. We go 0-16, worst year ever and secure the top pick. Generational QB prospect and we have the coveted top pick. He refuses to play here because we are a complete disgrace of a team and miss out on him after the false hope. It’s going to be INSANE when that happens.

I’m serious when I said they should just get rid of the Jets and add a new expansion team somewhere. Mutually beneficial for all parties involved. NFL should force the Johnson’s out and pay them accordingly. 

Agreed.

They have turned a loyal fan base apathetic.

Just pull the plug.

• Post of the Week 3

1 minute ago, Trotter said:

What makes us think Douglass is the right guy.

Nothing other than blind hope.

He is here because of gase.

Yes he is. And the have the same agent.

Hire Louis Riddick as head of football operations.

Nah

The GM reports to him and the coach to the gm. A pipe dream I know.

Will never happen

I agree with the general idea of your post. But I think one year holding the clip board should sufficient. We have to use FA strategically. Hopefully we can land, Joe Thuney, an Edge and a WR. If so, we can add a TE, Corner Edge and WR Early in the draft. It’ll just be one more offseason after that before we’d be ready to let Lawrence play

7 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Only one problem with this...

We will go 0-16 the following year too, and then he will have no choice but to come here.  

• Haha 1

If the Jets get the top pick I am in the camp of trading it for a haul of draft picks and an established player or two. Put picks to use in creating a dominant and I mean dominant O Line ( as in the Jets O Line under Rex) where a rookie QB will be able to step right in and succeed. Team as it stands now needs far too many upgrades so even if they do draft Lawrence he would be in the same position as Darnold is in now and team would be just spinning it’s wheels as it has done for the past decade