A good portion of the o-line moves Douglas has made, have been awful.

freestater

For those of you who like PFF like I do:

McGovern has been awful.

GVR was solid against Buffalo and Indy while being awful against San Fran

Fant has been below average.

Becton has been excellent

Edoga played well against Indy

Lewis was great the first two weeks and bad yesterday against Indy.

McDermott was terrible filling in for Becton against Indy.

• Upvote 2

Just now, freestater said:

If you think of every situation in life as a binary either/or, I guess you could extrapolate that. I however, do not. Didn't say any of that. 

There's a 3 game body of work.  The HC is terrible and the QB is regressing at a meteoric rate and you're concerned bc the lineman that JD signed at below market rates on essentially 1 year deals aren't all pros yet? Give me a ******* break. Let's also not forget that the lack of preseason games was catastrophic for an offensive line group with 4 new starters who needed time to gel. They had to learn to communicate with each other via ******* Zoom.

As bad as you think it is the offensive line has played much better than last year which was the point of bringing in all of these new guys. So yeah,  I think it's ridiculous that people are complaining about the offensive line and the moves JD made when the HC is a complete disaster and the QB has been awful. Both of which JD isn't responsible for. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, freestater said:

And its worrisome. Kalil was objectively bad. McGovern (who was supposed to be a solid fa, sure) has looked overwhelmed. GVR is definitely not the answer. Becton looks great, yes and Fant mostly serviceable. Letting Harrison go also concerns me, good guy to have for depth even if its best he's not a starter. They seemed hell-bent on getting rid of a guy who was the least of our problems last year. Some of Joe Douglas' moves have not panned out. 

McGovern has been injured and this group hasn’t played much together. The blurb about the colts oline playing many games together is telling.  It takes time to build an oline.  Nobody expected the second coming of mankins with either van roten or Lewis. Losing Becton and Fant isn’t good.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

At least Joe D prioritizes the OL (he used our #1 pick on it) and drafted a potentially great LT.  That's a very good start (one I'm sure he's well aware he needs to continue building on).

This is true. That is a very encouraging sign. If Cam Clarke turns into a good G, then his drafting of o-line would be his strong suit. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Philc1 said:

Not really impressed with JD.  His only good move so far is Becton which was a no brainer

yep any football guy should be able to do okay round one

the funny thing is I am not sure why people think he is the guy- he is new that is it

hire a proven guy and over pay him -not a guy who stood next to a guy that helped build a team-that is the jets motto and fans buy into that nonsense

4 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Aside from the Jamal Adams trade that netted the Jets a couple bottom of the 1st rd picks, and the verdict on that trade is at least two drafts away, Joe Douglas ain't done much. He actually made us worse so far. I realize he deserves a lot more time, however, t's getting late early for Joe D.

The GM was counting on a jump in play from his QB. That's the biggest mistake he made. If Darnold plays well in an 3 games the Jets are at least 1-2 but for sure would have been competitive. His awfulness brought down the entire team. 

22 minutes ago, freestater said:

Some of Joe Douglas' moves have not panned out. 

More than some, so far.

O-Line FA = C- trending D
WR FA = F

O-Line Draft = A, but it was an easy A really
WR Draft = Incomplete till Mims shows up...

The Morgan pick, much as I liked it (and like Morgan in generic terms) looks worse as time goes on.  Unless there was some plan for Morgan to play if Darnold faltered (and who knows....) then "Developmental #3 QB" now looks like a bad idea instead of another WR prospect to help Sam/depth.

I'd still say it's easy, I'd still say I liked our Draft overall, but I'd agree, most of JD's moves so far have no resulted in noticeable improvements.

I wouldn't even consider firing him yet tho, to be clear.  Gase, yes.  JD, no.  Darnold, no (yet).

2 minutes ago, choon328 said:

The GM was counting on a jump in play from his QB. That's the biggest mistake he made. If Darnold plays well in an 3 games the Jets are at least 1-2 but for sure would have been competitive. His awfulness brought down the entire team. 

by taking away his best wr?

other gms that wanted a jump in play from their qb gave them shiny new weapons-see diggs to allen  and hopkins to murray-our gm took away our best threat lol

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, choon328 said:

There's a 3 game body of work.  The HC is terrible and the QB is regressing at a meteoric rate and you're concerned bc the lineman that JD signed at below market rates on essentially 1 year deals aren't all pros yet? Give me a ******* break. Let's also not forget that the lack of preseason games was catastrophic for an offensive line group with 4 new starters who needed time to gel. They had to learn to communicate with each other via ******* Zoom.

As bad as you think it is the offensive line has played much better than last year which was the point of bringing in all of these new guys. So yeah,  I think it's ridiculous that people are complaining about the offensive line and the moves JD made when the HC is a complete disaster and the QB has been awful. Both of which JD isn't responsible for. 

The lack of playing time together is exactly why you keep guys like Harrison around as an insurance policy. Letting Winters go to save some money when were already heavily under the cap doesnt make sense in that situation either. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Not really impressed with JD.  His only good move so far is Becton which was a no brainer

If Becton was a no brainer he wouldn't have been the 3rd tackle to get drafted.  There were plenty of concerns about Becton going into the draft. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

If Becton was a no brainer he wouldn't have been the 3rd tackle to get drafted.  There were plenty of concerns about Becton going into the draft. 

I don't think you're thinking this thru.....it was a no brainer because we desperately needed O-line, and Becton was the best O-lineman who fell to us.

It's not about Becton, it's about taking O-line at all.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I wouldn't even consider firing him yet tho, to be clear.  Gase, yes.  JD, no. 

completely agree. I realize that if anyone ever critizes any perceived current savior of the jets, the natural reaction around here will be that you want that person gone. Not what I was saying either, but it is something to take note of as the guy is former o-line and should have/is said to have a good eyefor the line. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

For those of you who like PFF like I do:

McGovern has been awful.

GVR was solid against Buffalo and Indy while being awful against San Fran

Fant has been below average.

Becton has been excellent

Edoga played well against Indy

Lewis was great the first two weeks and bad yesterday against Indy.

McDermott was terrible filling in for Becton against Indy.

The Oline is composed of 5 new starters , well 4 if you consider Lewis played last year. Offensive lines do not mesh and gel instantly. Do you think the Cowboys or the Colts Olines looked great immediately. This unit needs to time to acclimate especially with no PS games and the fact with the CBA basically allows less hitting in practices than pee-wee football teams. 

We're judging oline play based on the the 3 games they've played together? LMAO oh lord. What did you think was realistic jump from 31 ranked oline? Did you think they would be top 10 this year? L O L! The oline is IMPROVED but is far from a finished product. Which is why most of these guys are on short term deals. Go smoke a bowl and re think some of yalls ridiculous takes. 

24 minutes ago, kmnj said:

by taking away his best wr?

other gms that wanted a jump in play from their qb gave them shiny new weapons-see diggs to allen  and hopkins to murray-our gm took away our best threat lol

Anderson was not the best WR,  Crowder was.  And JD spent the bulk of money in FA on the starting  offensive line and depth for the offensive line bc it was the worst offensive line in the NFL in 2019. There were zero top available WR's in FA. The Texans only spoke to the Cardinals about the Hopkins trade. Zero other teams even knew he was available.  Diggs cost a 1st round pick and the Jets needed that pick to draft a LT bc the offensive line had nobody of note at LT. Nobody could've predicted the rash of injuries at the WR position that would come to the Jets. Essentially their #1, #2 #3 and #4 WRs are hurt.  Judging the WR group while they're currently starting practice squad guys is ridiculous. My only criticism of JD is that he didn't grab another WR at some point in the mid rounds. Even then they'd still be starting practice squad guys with a 4th rounder in there as well. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I don't think you're thinking this thru.....it was a no brainer because we desperately needed O-line, and Becton was the best O-lineman who fell to us.

It's not about Becton, it's about taking O-line at all.

Except that's not what he was saying.  But thanks for helping me think it through. 

20 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Other teams had to do the same zoom meetings and are successful.

6 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

The Oline is composed of 5 new starters , well 4 if you consider Lewis played last year. Offensive lines do not mesh and gel instantly. Do you think the Cowboys or the Colts Olines looked great immediately. This unit needs to time to acclimate especially with no PS games and the fact with the CBA basically allows less hitting in practices than pee-wee football teams. 

That doesn't matter apparently.  It doesn't matter that the cupboard at offensive line was so bare that they had to go out and sign 4 new offensive lineman in FA and also draft 2. 4 new starters in total. 

It doesn't matter that there was no preseason games for these guys to gel. They're just supposed to go out there and become the best offensive line in the NFL like it's Madden. Some people have no clue

3 minutes ago, DJF71 said:

Other teams had to do the same zoom meetings and are successful.

Name the other teams with 4 new starting offensive lineman and a group that had never played a down together until week 1 of this season.  Or any season for that matter. I'll wait for your response. It'll be a while.