Allbright: Keep an eye on Greg Roman?

51 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I know everyone's high on Roman, but if we're going for an offensive mind I'd prefer a guy whose innovations are in the passing game, not the running game. I mean, Rex hired Greg Roman as his OC, for ****'s sake

This is true and it's not like Jackson is a good passer of the Football.  I think pairing Roman with Fields is an exciting prospect but if we're for some reason sticking with the boogie boarder or drafting Mr. Hairhype, I'd probably prefer someone like Eric Beiniemy.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

If no Parcells, no Belichick. (I agree that Belichick has long since surpassed him)

Parcells was a winner his entire career and is easily the best in-game coach we have had since I have been alive. 

97 halkfback option vs detroit w/ playoffs on the line...???

13 minutes ago, JiF said:

This is true and it's not like Jackson is a good passer of the Football.  I think pairing Roman with Fields is an exciting prospect but if we're for some reason sticking with the boogie boarder or drafting Mr. Hairhype, I'd probably prefer someone like Eric Beiniemy.

I wouldn't say Roman is a slouch in the passing game:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-greg-roman-passing-offense-20190120-story.html

Even as the Ravens offense was flipped upside down in November, transformed from a run-of-the-mill, drop-back passing attack to an exotic, run-dominant approach, coach John Harbaugh stressed that there was not that much new. Same blocking schemes, he said. Just some different formations and a new quarterback.

But change, however small, was for the better. In fleet-footed rookie Lamar Jackson and assistant head coach Greg Roman’s run concepts, the Ravens found a powerful cocktail. As pyrotechnic passing attacks carried the banner for the NFL's top offenses, the Ravens dared opposing defenses to stop them from running. Only twice in their final seven regular-season games did they rush fewer than 40 times.

Advertisement

Skip Ad
1_th.jpg?crop=550:309,smart&width=550&he

With the promotion of Roman to offensive coordinator this month, the Ravens — and the rest of the NFL, too — know what their ground game will look like next season: a mix of zone reads, misdirection and power-based pulls run out of a multitude of formations.

Less clear is the shape of their passing offense. The Ravens’ loss to the Los Angeles Chargers in their wild-card-round playoff game offered a reminder that for as much as offenses can evolve, defenses do not lag behind for long. The Ravens couldn’t run in their second meeting in three weeks against the Chargers, nor could they pass until late.

Paid Post

What Is This?
Teaneck,New Jersey Launches New Policy For Cars Used Less Than 49 Miles/Day

Drivers With No Tickets In 3 Years Should Do This On September

See More

Sponsored Content by Comparisons.org

With Marty Mornhinweg leaving the Ravens staff, the receiving corps subject to change and Jackson entering an important developmental offseason, the Ravens’ aerial attack is in flux. But Roman’s work at his first two offensive coordinator jobs, with the San Francisco 49ers (2011-14) and Buffalo Bills (2015-16), offers lessons for what might lie ahead.

1. A run-heavy offense won’t dictate caution in the passing game.

Over 18 games with Roman as offensive coordinator, the Bills were, predictably, a run-reliant team. Bolstered by LeSean McCoy, they finished first in 2015 in rushing yards and yards per carry and second in attempts.

ADVERTISING

They also averaged nearly one 20-plus-yard passing touchdown per game. According to ESPN Stats & Info, Buffalo under Roman led the NFL with 16 such scores, four more than the runner-up Seattle Seahawks. Tyrod Taylor finished third among starting quarterbacks in 2015 in average “air yards,” the total distance of a pass attempt at the moment the ball is caught in relation to the line of scrimmage.

That Buffalo team, with Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods, Chris Hogan and an occasionally healthy Percy Harvin, had more talent out wide than the Ravens do. But an emphasis on downfield passing has been in Roman’s DNA since he left Stanford with Jim Harbaugh years earlier for San Francisco.

In 2012, Colin Kaepernick was first in air yards among quarterbacks who finished with over 1,500 passing yards, according to Sporting Charts. Alex Smith, whom he replaced midseason, was sixth. The next two seasons, Kaepernick finished fourth and 11th, respectively.

In Baltimore last season, with Roman overseeing the team’s rushing attack, the Ravens’ passing-game philosophy mirrored his own. While the Ravens kept Jackson from a Joe Flacco-esque workload — he averaged just 23.4 attempts per start — the rookie was not cautious in where he looked for completions.

Jackson’s average intended air yards, which includes all attempts, was tied for 13th with Flacco and ahead of Philip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger and Tom Brady’s, NFL Next Gen Stats data shows. Jackson tied for sixth among qualified quarterbacks with an average of 6.5 air yards per completion — a smidge higher than Kansas City Chiefs star Patrick Mahomes (6.4 air yards per completion).

2. The play-action offense should be good enough to rely on often.

Like a passing attack that sets up the deep ball with shorter throws, Roman’s running schemes lend themselves to high-quality play-action.

From 2011 to 2013, Roman’s first three years in San Francisco, the 49ers ranked fifth, second and third in play-action efficiency, respectively, according to Football Outsiders. In 2015, Roman’s only full year with the Bills, Buffalo was first in play-action efficiency. As measured by DVOA, the analytics website’s measurement of a play’s relative success, Roman’s play-action plays over those four seasons ranged from 50.5 percent to 72.3 percent more efficient than an average play and two to three times more efficient than an average play-action call.

There was perhaps no greater proof of their effectiveness than in a 41-14 win over the Miami Dolphins in 2015. Taylor opened what was perhaps his best-ever game under center (21-for-29, 277 yards, three touchdowns) by completing five straight play-action passes for a 77-yard touchdown drive.

But the Bills, for all their success with the play type, were reluctant to embrace it as San Francisco had. In 2012 and 2013, the 49ers ran play-action on over a quarter of their plays, ranking among the top six teams both years. In 2015, with Football Outsiders’ second-most efficient rushing offense, Buffalo called on its top-rated play-action 17 percent of the time, a usage mark in the league’s bottom third.

The Ravens were not particularly explosive on play-action plays this year, as Flacco lacked a consistently respectable rushing offense and Jackson struggled on passes outside the pocket. But with the team’s high hopes for tight ends Mark Andrews and Hayden Hurst, as well as the running game’s late-season emergence, Roman should have a solid framework for another dependable play-action attack.

3. The passing-game concepts shouldn’t overwhelm Jackson.

In San Francisco and Buffalo, Roman worked, for the most part, with mobile but inexperienced quarterbacks. The success of the 49ers and Bills’ rushing attacks helped alleviate pressure — Smith and Kaepernick finished with top-10 passer ratings in 2012, as Taylor did in 2015 — but their passing schemes shouldn’t be overlooked.

Baltimore Ravens Insider Newsletter

Weekly

Want the inside scoop on the Ravens? Become a Ravens Insider and you'll have access to news, notes and analysis from The Sun.

One feature of Roman’s offenses has been a mirrored passing design, which helps to simplify the presnap reads for a quarterback. On a mirrored play design, the route concepts are the same on each side of the formation, meaning it’s usually run out of a “2x2” alignment, with two eligible receivers on either side in a balanced set.

While some offenses prefer more flexible play structures, mirrored concepts ease the quarterback’s decision-making and can be used against almost any defensive call. As the Washington Redskins’ offensive coordinator, Sean McVay helped Kirk Cousins’ development with his use of mirrored designs, which he then carried over to his work with the Los Angeles Rams’ Jared Goff.

Roman’s use of the “Sail” concept, a passing scheme designed to overload and stretch one side of a defense (normally zone) with three receivers, should also play to Jackson’s strengths. According to Sports Info Solutions, in his seven regular-season starts, Jackson completed 63.4 percent of his passes and was on target 74.4 percent of the time against zone defenses. (Those marks dropped to 43.8 percent and 56.3 percent, respectively, against man-to-man coverage.)

Like mirrored passing designs, the “Sail” concept affords a quarterback simple reads in a half-field window. While Jackson struggled with throws to the sideline this past season, he figures to improve with more repetitions as the team’s unquestioned starter. After a half-season of trial-and-error, the Ravens have a long offseason ahead to figure out how Jackson’s talents fit into Roman’s game plans — not only as a runner, but as a passer, too.

Note: NFL Game Pass owns all footage shown in the above clips.

Michael Crabtree vs. Chargers

Michael Crabtree vs. Chargers

The Ravens' Michael Crabtree, left, catches a 7-yard touchdown pass in front of the Chargers' Casey Hayward Jr., right, with 1:59 left in the fourth quarter. Los Angeles won the wild-card-round game, 23-17, on Jan. 6, 2019, at M&T Bank Stadium. (Kenneth K. Lam / Baltimore Sun)

• Upvote 1

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

I don't have any great problems with that fat **** as a coach, or even a team builder.  I just think that if you are looking for someone that will lead your team for a decade he is not a great example.

Which is why I specifically wrote that we would want a younger version of Parcells. 

34 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

So guess which coach has better passing stats than Greg Roman?

Adam Gase.

Baltimore is dead last in the league in passing yards.

Interesting, but keep in mind that the Ravens had two big leads and comfortable wins in their first two weeks. Lot's of running out the clock. 

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, maury77 said:

I'm on the Roman train for the reasons many of you have mentioned, I'd like to add

1) Douglas and Roman were in Baltimore together, so they likely have a relationship

2) Roman played DL in college and started his coaching career on the defensive side, so he has familiarity with both sides of the team

3) He's a Jersey guy.

1) More than likely. Almost assured.

2) Good point.

3) Nobody's perfect...we won't hold that against him. ?

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Trevor is the new for the moment toy, the idea of getting is better than actually getting him.  

Somehow hes reached the mythical "best prospect since" status 

I have this phone call every night 

He’s been can’t miss since his days at Cartersville High School.  JIFs love boner for The Ohio State’s™️ most recent QB prospect to throw for 55 wide open TDS that they’ll never see at the pro level doesn’t change that.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

He’s been can’t miss since his days at Cartersville High School.  JIFs love boner for The Ohio State’s™️ most recent QB prospect to throw for 55 wide open TDS that they’ll never see at the pro level doesn’t change that.

They do this every year to every QB

• Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

They do this every year to every QB

The™️ Troy Smith

The™️ Terrelle Pryor

The™️ Braxton Miller

The™️ Dwayne Haskins

The™️ Justin Fields

Look.  I like Fields.  He was a highly touted recruit like Lawrence at one point.  The Georgia situation with him concerns me, as does the fact that he only found success in a system that made Tim Tebow the greatest college QB of all time.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Which is why I specifically wrote that we would want a younger version of Parcells. 

Parcells was a great coach before the salary cap. When he could stack the roster with his players he was very good. With the salary cap he spent like a drunken sailor to get aging vets that fit his profile. In other words he put all the eggs in one basket but he could never buy enough talent to finish the job. After that he'd leave the team he coached in shambles for years to come.

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

No one is a can’t miss pro QB off of his HS resume.  They all have great HS resumes 
He’s the new greatest ever.  Eases the pain of not getting players or coaches to develop Sam
That’s all

• Post of the Week 1

39 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No one is a can’t miss pro QB off of his HS resume.  They all have great HS resumes 
He’s the new greatest ever.  Eases the pain of not getting players or coaches to develop Sam
That’s all

Holding out hope that Sam isn’t totally destroyed and banking on him when you have a prospect like Lawrence staring you down the face is, quite frankly, something I’d expect Maccagnan to do.  The sooner we all admit to ourselves that the Jets ruined him and his future isn’t here the better off we’ll all be.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

Holding out hope that Sam isn’t totally destroyed and banking on him when you have a prospect like Lawrence staring you down the face is, quite frankly, something I’d expect Maccagnan to do.  The sooner we all admit to ourselves that the Jets ruined him and his future isn’t here the better off we’ll all be.

Sam is still younger than Joe Burrow and can be salvaged if we hire Joe Brady. Just watch a team like New Orleans trade for Darnold and get the best out of him.   

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Why do you think(and others) Bienemy is a good option? Aside from KC, where we have no clue how much influence he’s had, what has he done that gets us excited? 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Pennington said:

Sam is still younger than Joe Burrow and can be salvaged if we hire Joe Brady. Just watch a team like New Orleans trade for Darnold and get the best out of him.   

That’s nice. 

He may also still suck as bad as he has played so far and I’m not passing on an amazing quarterback prospect for the slim chance Sam isn’t broken beyond repair.

17 hours ago, Mogglez said:

36271752-ABBB-4A3B-894C-C8380CB90B93.thumb.jpeg.14b0a48a96af6664d8f18e1d03b635e4.jpeg

Asked him about the QB situation...this is one spicy meatball.

I really don't think he knows anything and I would bet a fair amount of money that no team picking number 1 overall is passing on Lawrence. No one. The fear of trading that pick away and watching him become a star for another team will be too great. 

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

By the time of the draft we'll know what we need.

Unless JD is ready to move on, then it makes no difference.  I'm thinking he'd rather have a QB on the roster and even if we have the top pick, we can trade it for a boatload of picks and totally restock the roster.  

That is by far the best scenario for the team and provide the quickest turnaround over taking another cant miss QB and hope not only hes got it but that it doesnt take a couple of seasons to develop and win like just about every other QB

4 hours ago, Mogglez said:

He sure as hell did not look 'can't miss' at times last year and in last years nat champ game.  (And vs ohio state the game before)