Allbright: Keep an eye on Greg Roman?

21 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Every year I come across Benjamin Allbright rumors on this board.  I had never heard of him prior to reading this board regularly a few years ago.

I could be misremembering, but I'm fairly certain his batting average is somewhere in the neighborhood of zero.

Hmmm his stuff is usually pretty accurate I think. But who knows. 

Makes too much sense with both the Baltimore connection and also that he's had success with guys who aren't just traditional pocket passers.  Sam can pass from the pocket but that's not his best game.  He's best when on the move and extending plays.

Roman is a football guy.  The question is: Does he have the leadership and people skills?

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, varjet said:

Unfortunately for Bienemy he will need to find a way to nicely say he does not want to coach in the NYC area.  The press will have a field day with his prior issues.  He needs to stay away from here.  There will be pressure to hire him and not a middle-aged white guy.

Sorry but no way the team that has had 2 Black coaches for 9 of the last 19 years is pressured to hire a candidate just because they are a minority. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Also said this regarding Bieniemy:

F2565ADC-9A34-4A27-A3DE-4A20C31A6273.thumb.png.c93991b38d3eecaccdd01bc29db28604.png

Correct.  We've discussed this over the years anytime a HC search comes again for the Jets...which is quite often.  Bieniemy is a bit concerning once you dig into his background.  There are some issues there that will make it hard for an organization to make him the face of the team at the podium every week.  Great coach, should be on everyone's list.  I'll just say that there's a reason he hasn't gotten hired yet.  Perhaps if some more time passes without off-field incidents and issues EB gets a shot somewhere....but it shouldn't be here right now.  We can't take that chance.

Over the course of his collegiate career, Bieniemy's driving record was docked several times in Colorado for a multitude of occurrences, but they piled up to the point where he had his license suspended for a year. Months later in March, he was caught speeding in the state and was forced to post a $1,000 bond. He failed to appear for his court date for driving with a suspended license and then was faced with several weeks in jail for leaving the scene of an accident just weeks later.

“I thought once you exchanged information you could leave the scene,” Bieniemy said. “I went home and reported it to the police and then they arrested me for leaving the scene.”

On July 4th, 1990, firefighters were called to his mother’s residence after a small fire broke out due to fireworks belonging to his younger brother igniting in a plastic bag in his garage. Firefighters attempted to breach the garage wall, thinking it was an electrical fire and Bieniemy attempted to stop them from doing so. 

“Since the fire was next to the wall, they thought it was electrical. I said, ‘Excuse me, sir, the fire started in the trash bag.’ I feel that if somebody is going to tear down your wall you should stop them. But basically I interfered with fire department policy.” Bieniemy explained. The incident lead to a one-game suspension for the star running back.

Bieniemy’s pro career was mostly clean from incident, but he was banned from Colorado’s campus for a year after harassing and assaulting a parking attendant working during a Colorado football game in 1993. His time coaching at Colorado upon his retirement from the NFL brought more trouble.

In 2001, Bieniemy was hired as Colorado’s running backs coach, but was arrested in April of that year for DUI.  As a known legend in the program, Bieniemy was also a major figure in the recruiting process. During his two years there, several rape allegations were pressed against Colorado players he recruited, and Bieniemy’s time there ended while the school was under investigation.

Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me like 10 times then shame on me.  Bieniemy isn't the most stable and trustworthy of human beings....doesn't mean he's a horrible person but there's a pattern of behavior that can't be ignored and makes it hard for most billion dollar businesses to hand him the keys to run it.

You can have someone like that as an assistant, a coordinator, etc. but as the face of the football organization you really have to dot your i's and cross your t's.  It would take only one little incident for fans to be like, "How did we hire this guy?  Didn't the Jets know about his background?"

• Upvote 4

On one hand, I think Sam will be good with real coaching and talent...on the other hand...passing on Trevor would make me sick to my stomach.

Would receiving a 1st, 2nd and 4th in 2021 and a 1st, 3rd and 6th in 2022 for a trade back help settle your stomach?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

Roman is my first choice from the coordinator ranks. That said, I’m really looking more for a real HC who has the ability to manage the entire team for once.
Gase, Rex, Bowles, Caroll (when here), Coslett, Walton were all committed to their one side of the ball. That $hit is for the birds man.
The attractive piece for Roman is his unquestionable ability to create offenses to fit his personnel. Does that mean he’s only working on the offense all day and we need a Defensive “HC” like greggy boy on the staff?
That would be one of my main areas of focus.

But I sure as hell like him
As a cAndidate

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Do people actually think that the Jets are talking to Greg Roman, in Sept, about coaching the Jets next year?

He just got prepared for the biggest regular season game of his young QB's career and Jets fans are so desperate for any good news that they're actually buying this stuff?

The Jets arent talking to anyone right now, come'on.  

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Honestly?  No.

If Trevor becomes what most think he will, he will be absolutely priceless to an organization.

I think it's funny that you truly believe Trevor is some kind of cant miss prospect.  Or maybe you're just hoping it for the Jets sake? 

He's so flawed, it's not even funny.  Legit, he's the most overhyped prospect since, well, Sam Darnold.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

For anyone questioning Allbright, he was calling Gase to us very early on...when the rest of us were arguing over Rhule/Monken/McCarthy/Kingsbury he said Gase was the front runner.

I’m sure there are old tweets but I’m not looking for them.

He actually goes back and deletes a lot old tweets where he's "sourcing stuff".  A year from now don't be surprised if this Roman tweet is not there.

If I remember it correctly he actually thought it was McCarthy for the longest time then pivoted to Gase.  How long before everyone else I don't know.

My take on Benjamin Allbright is he's adequate at reading the tea leaves but has very little, if any, real info outside of the Broncos.

I think people underestimate how easy it is to play the role of a faux insider if you simply just pay attention. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, jgb said:

Gotta be honest living in Europe don't watch a lot of college ball. How do you rate Lawrence/Fields/Lance? Are all worthy of top 3 picks, in your opinion?

Ive never watched Lance play a live game.  I was surprised to listen to a podcast where the person (I forget who it was) had him neck and neck with Lawerence after doing a study of 5 of his game tapes.  Hes athletic, strong arm and would be a combo runner/passer similar to Russel Wilson as in he wouldn't run as much as a QB like Lamar.  Lance didnt throw a single INT in 2019 but is playing against lesser competition and needs time to develop, which is why given our situation with Sam, I like him sitting for a year.

Fields is an elite athlete, has supposedly gone vegan and dropped from 230 to 215 (hes 6'3).  Elite production and seems like a player who is head and shoulders over Haskins coming out.   Dont know a ton about him but he seems like someone who also could sit a year without a ton of fan complaining.

Lawerence has been a tier 1 elite QB prospect since his freshman year.  Has all the tools - can run, throw and is 6'5.  Only knocks have been that he has always played on a stacked team and has never really faced adversity.  Id love to see what the Clemson poster on this board thinks of him.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Would receiving a 1st, 2nd and 4th in 2021 and a 1st, 3rd and 6th in 2022 for a trade back help settle your stomach?

Maybe.  Maybe not.  Are those the 2nd pick in each round?  In that case, maybe I would, but I would still ask for more, another first round pick.  Further down in the round?  No way.  

Roman seems like an okay enough prospect for HC, but how much does he really tailor his system?  Smith, Kaepernick, Taylor and Jackson are all QBs that could run.  Darnold probably is not.  People keep acting like Smith is some pocket passer.  Is that because of his "grittiness?"  Darnold is a solid athlete, but does not seem like he is going to be able to run like that.  If Roman is the guy, I'm pretty sure they will take somebody new, but not necessarily at the top of the draft.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Do people actually think that the Jets are talking to Greg Roman, in Sept, about coaching the Jets next year?

He just got prepared for the biggest regular season game of his young QB's career and Jets fans are so desperate for any good news that they're actually buying this stuff?

The Jets arent talking to anyone right now, come'on.  

It doesn’t say anywhere they’re talking to him.

More so insinuating the Jets would be interested.