"Glass" Joe Douglas

Bronx

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Your point is not a meaningful one today and wasn't then either.  You deserved every one of those 11 thumbs down.  

Maybe I do, maybe I don't. This management sucks regardless and Glass Joe looked like a defeated prick.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

On 10/5/2020 at 9:56 AM, slimjasi said:

People believe in Douglas because his plan is sound (acquire a lot of draft capital, build through the draft, avoid quick fixes like overpaying free agents). But, Idzik's plan was also sound. The bottom line is, either he is good at drafting or he is bad at drafting. 

We'll find out soon enough. 

So far, he is bad at drafting.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Ecuadorian Jet said:

I agree, but aside from that, as much as I want to believe in the guy, no Jabari, not Davis, not Morgan, not the guard from Charleston.

Perine had some reps today.

I stand corrected. Mann has been a starter from week 1.

Yes, and until we see those guys play you can't say one way or the other whether they were worthwhile picks.  Especially when coming off a highly unusual first offseason for the rookie class NFL-wide. 

I will admit I'm disappointed in Ashtyn Davis so far.  He's been healthy but a non-factor.  I was hoping for more in the early going.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, and until we see those guys play you can't say one way or the other whether they were worthwhile picks.  Especially when coming off a highly unusual first offseason for the rookie class NFL-wide. 

I will admit I'm disappointed in Ashtyn Davis so far.  He's been healthy but a non-factor.  I was hoping for more in the early going.

So not disappointed in the Mims pick or the Jabari pick, huh?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

So not disappointed in the Mims pick or the Jabari pick, huh?

Absolutely not.  Mims will be a WR1 in this league, and Zuniga was a highly athletic pass rusher coming out of school, exactly the kind of shot you take on an EDGE guy.  The only reason he wasn't a late 1st/2nd rounder was his injury history.  

Draft picks are not failures 6 weeks into their first seasons, and "disappointment" only occurs if those guys play a couple seasons and turn out to be busts.

The short-sighted thinking on this stuff is just dumb, straight up.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The only reason he wasn't a late 1st/2nd rounder was his injury history.  

The short-sighted thinking on this stuff is just dumb, straight up.

The only reason, you say that so casually like it's nothing to worry about in such a contact sport.

Just a piece of advice: don't be so inflexible in your points of view , specially in something so small like rooting for millionaires playing a kids game, before you call people dumb.

4 minutes ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

The only reason, you say that so casually like it's nothing to worry about in such a contact sport.

Just a piece of advice: don't be so inflexible in your points of view , specially in something so small like rooting for millionaires playing a kids game, before you call people dumb.

Not calling you dumb.  Calling the line of thinking that draft picks can be deemed "disappointments" 6 weeks in, dumb.  Which it is.

And injury history alone isn't a reason to stay away from a prospect beyond certain points in the draft.  There's been quite a few NFLers who had injury histories and then had a terrific return on investment because their market value dropped too far.  I think Bryce Hall will be in that category, for sure.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Not calling you dumb.  Calling the line of thinking that draft picks can be deemed "disappointments" 6 weeks in, dumb. 

Just to be totally fair, all the picks from this year, may end up having decent careers in the NFL, but so far, not a single person can say they are not disappointing.

Just to be totally fair, all the picks from this year, may end up having decent careers in the NFL, but so far, not a single person can say they are not disappointing.

You said "so far, he is bad at drafting".  Exact quote.  That is different from what you are saying here.  

I think he's going to be proven to be adept at drafting when we revisit the 2020 class a year or 2 from now.

The misdirected anger is getting old, fast.  
Johnsons, with a side of:  200.gif&key=c5c109430342f21a6e4f423c1bf1a4e7922791c0d09a6fd11df0e71b2f5a9fc1

Douglas is the only hope for this woebegone franchise.  We're not attracting a better caliber GM than him as long as the Johnson's own the franchise.  It's sink or swim with JD whether folks like it or not.

For once I completely agree with you. He is the only hope we have. People need to calm down and recognize!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

Emphasis on so far , 80, so far

The emphasis does nothing for me.  Either a pick works out or it doesn't, and we don't know if they will yet or not.  So far, we don't know how good of a drafter he is.  He is neither good nor bad. 

All we can judge him on is the logic behind the picks.  Prioritizing offense, premium positions and athleticism are what I like so far.  Failing to take a 2nd WR was about the only glaring problem I saw with the first draft class when it comes to that.

4 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

For once I completely agree with you. He is the only hope we have. People need to calm down and recognize! emoji6.png

Yep.  If he fails, the Johnson's will hire another Maccagnan. 

It's sink or swim with JD, and the people calling for him to be fired or resign already are clinically insane.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The emphasis does nothing for me.  Either a pick works out or it doesn't, and we don't know if they will yet or not.  So far, we don't know how good of a drafter he is.  He is neither good nor bad. 

All we can judge him on is the logic behind the picks.  Prioritizing offense, premium positions and athleticism are what I like so far.  Failing to take a 2nd WR was about the only glaring problem I saw with the first draft class when it comes to that.

You're the winner baby

• Upvote 1

I have faith in joe Douglas.

I feel some people are down on him because of his free agency. But I think his plan all along was to tear this thing down, and look to next year.

Jets had a lot of bad contracts to shed. Tru, Enunwa, Bell, etc. And the roster was not ready to compete, so why spend big money.  Everyone he signed was for short term. 1 & 2 year deals. Rentals if you will. Whoever works out he will retain. Whoever doesn't will be shown the door. 

His plan was to purge this roster. Get younger and build this team from the ground up in his vision

He has been accumulating cap space, and draft picks for next year. Next year is when we will see what Douglas is made of. Multiple 1st rounders, and tons of cap space.

2021 is when Douglas puts his fingerprint on this team. Next offseason we see what Douglas is made of. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I have faith in joe Douglas.

I feel some people are down on him because of his free agency. But I think his plan all along was to tear this thing down, and look to next year.

Jets had a lot of bad contracts to shed. Tru, Enunwa, Bell, etc. And the roster was not ready to compete, so why spend big money.  Everyone he signed was for short term. 1 & 2 year deals. Rentals if you will. Whoever works out he will retain. Whoever doesn't will be shown the door. 

His plan was to purge this roster. Get younger and build this team from the ground up in his vision

He has been accumulating cap space, and draft picks for next year. Next year is when we will see what Douglas is made of. Multiple 1st rounders, and tons of cap space.

2021 is when Douglas puts his fingerprint on this team. Next offseason we see what Douglas is made of. 

I’m not necessarily down on JD because I agree with his approach - but only if he can execute on the draft picks. Still, I’m not going to absolve him for the current product on the field with Big Macc memes when he’s been in charge for 2 offseasons, nor am I going to call anyone dumb or clinically insane for criticizing him.

No one should be off-limits in this god forsaken franchise; especially someone who spent picks on a 4th string QB and a 3rd string RB, and hasn’t yet produced a single snap at WR from one of the deepest WR classes in recent history.

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Mims will be a WR1 in this league

I know that you have great respect for JD and great football knowledge. However, this is a joke for a statement. This guy has bust written all over him, not to mention his health issues and a history of dropping balls in college. 

On 10/5/2020 at 5:56 PM, slimjasi said:

People believe in Douglas because his plan is sound (acquire a lot of draft capital, build through the draft, avoid quick fixes like overpaying free agents). But, Idzik's plan was also sound. The bottom line is, either he is good at drafting or he is bad at drafting. 

Yep. Anyone’s plan can work if they nail the draft.

We're tanking for Trevor.  We will have oodles of cap to spend and a haul of draft picks.  Becton, Mims, Mann and Davis will all be high quality NFL starters.  One or two of the others from this draft class will be solid contributors.  

This is a well run tank which sets us up for a long period of quality, competitive football.  This year is one of the best managed Jets team in decades.  I'm extremely optimistic that the Jets are finally cleaning out the dead wood and will be loaded with lots of good young players.  

You have to look at this like Iron man.  The Jets are like Tony Stark, less the intelligence and money before he designed the armor.  

• Upvote 1

On 10/5/2020 at 10:56 AM, slimjasi said:

20612_4665485489124_766242622_n.jpg?_nc_

;)

• Upvote 1

On 10/18/2020 at 10:14 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  If he fails, the Johnson's will hire another Maccagnan. 

It's sink or swim with JD, and the people calling for him to be fired or resign already are clinically insane.

Cinically insane!  

It's just a part of a Jets fan DNA to want to chop heads off. It sucks because I'm now one of them where Gase is concerned. lol 

JD is doing the dirty work that needs to be done.  The work most Jets GM's don't have the balls or the authority to do.  What I would give to be a fly on the wall when JD is talking to CJ about why Gase needs to go. How he spins that one while not looking like a backstabber will take some kid gloves imo. 

But the next coach has to be under JD not an equal partner in the deal. 

Putting the injuries aside Douglas still made big errors in the last draft.  He appeared fine with the TES.  In a draft with a LOT of good WR and that being a huge position of need he drafted one.  You double dip to insulate yourself against things like the Mims injury.

I like the reasoning behind quite a few of he picks but as stated by others so far they have provided nothing.

On 10/5/2020 at 10:56 AM, slimjasi said:

Perfectly stated. 

On 10/19/2020 at 6:18 AM, Bronx said:

I know that you have great respect for JD and great football knowledge. However, this is a joke for a statement. This guy has bust written all over him, not to mention his health issues and a history of dropping balls in college. 

Is it possible that one thread could have 5 dumb posts by the same person?

THAT would be Jetsy!

7 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Is it possible that one thread could have 5 dumb posts by the same person?

THAT would be Jetsy!

You are 100% on point. Being a Jets fan is dumb.  You and I are part of this masochistic and delusional brotherhood. Welcome to the dumb club.