Do you care if the Jets go 0-16?

44 minutes ago, SayNoToDMC said:

Not if his parents love him. I'd tell my kid to go back for his senior year before letting this team ruin him. 

You would be doing your child a terrible injustice. What if he has a Dax type injury his senior year? He can never make up the salary that he would miss out in his rookie year.

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

You would be doing your child a terrible injustice. What if he has a Dax type injury his senior year? He can never make up the salary that he would miss out in his rookie year.

What if he comes here, career goes down the sh*tter cause we're structurally inept and he doesn't get a huge second contract? I'd pull an Eli at a minimum. **** this team, I'm stuck with them, he isn't. Even Mosley took his money, blamed Covid and went out drinking to avoid playing for this mess.

7 minutes ago, SayNoToDMC said:

What if he comes here, career goes down the sh*tter cause we're structurally inept and he doesn't get a huge second contract? I'd pull an Eli at a minimum. **** this team, I'm stuck with them, he isn't. Even Mosley took his money, blamed Covid and went out drinking to avoid playing for this mess.

What if he breaks his leg senior year, and earns nothing compared to $25m with his rookie contract? Not a difficult decision. 

He has no leverage other than to stay in school, and that would be dumb. And even then, he may get drafted by the Jets again.

54 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

What if he breaks his leg senior year, and earns nothing compared to $25m with his rookie contract? Not a difficult decision. 

He has no leverage other than to stay in school, and that would be dumb. And even then, he may get drafted by the Jets again.

So 25 million over 4 years while you throw to ******* Jeff Smith 10 times a game and run for your life. He should probably go back to school instead of coming here so he can get 25+ a year on his second deal rather than being mentally crushed under the weight of our incompetence. 

In some respects it doesn't matter whether you or I want Lawrence or to stick with Darnold.

If we manage to land the first pick in the draft, the GM has a choice of Trevor Lawrence or a  haul from a trade down that would potentially be, mind-blowingly franchise altering.

Could Joe Douglas still mess it up?

Sure thing, but he has a chance...a second chance after 2020, not to screw this up.

The best hope of recovery from this sh*t storm of a roster is the 2021 No1 pick.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

8 hours ago, SayNoToDMC said:

That’s what insurance is for.

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Typically, most of the payouts are 40% below projected worth. Regardless what Lloyds pays, again it would be foolhardy to remain after eligibility if you are a top pick.

This is why it’s unlikely but still I opine not 0% or anywhere close to 0%.

Obviously hope you are right, Lawrence is a franchise changer.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Typically, most of the payouts are 40% below projected worth. Regardless what Lloyds pays, again it would be foolhardy to remain after eligibility if you are a top pick.

Scott, over 90x out of 100 I'd agree, but getting drafted #1 overall to be the QB of the NYJ doesn't seem to be less risky than playing another football season at Clemson.

Unknown 2021 coaching (and other offensive personnel) aside, he's got a better chance of his career/reputation being ruined here than his chances are of suffering a horrible injury like Dak just did in 12 more college games.

Yeah there's risk in returning, but it's not exactly a risk-free situation getting drafted as the Jets' QB. He could get his career-ending injury here, with our own players dropping like flies again, and never make it to a second contract. I'm sure his hopes are to cash in on his second contract in the $40-50MM/year range - with at least 3 years guaranteed in that range - not just 4 years @ $9MM.

It's a lot of money either way, but $36-40MM is a lot less than $400MM, which is what he may stand to make if he gets drafted by the right team instead of the Jets. Or anyway, he may see it that way. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Scott, over 90x out of 100 I'd agree, but getting drafted #1 overall to be the QB of the NYJ doesn't seem to be less risky than playing another football season at Clemson.

Unknown 2021 coaching (and other offensive personnel) aside, he's got a better chance of his career/reputation being ruined here than his chances are of suffering a horrible injury like Dak just did in 12 more college games.

Yeah there's risk in returning, but it's not exactly a risk-free situation getting drafted as the Jets' QB. He could get his career-ending injury here, with our own players dropping like flies again, and never make it to a second contract. I'm sure his hopes are to cash in on his second contract in the $40-50MM/year range - with at least 3 years guaranteed in that range - not just 4 years @ $9MM.

It's a lot of money either way, but $36-40MM is a lot less than $400MM, which is what he may stand to make if he gets drafted by the right team instead of the Jets. Or anyway, he may see it that way. 

The fact of this though is that Lawrence will have a very good idea of who the next coach will be, or should, if the Jets work expeditiously and have a plan (yikes!). Lawrence does not need to declare until the middle of January. They will have been able to had contact with him (if he is their preference) by then, and understand directions he would be agreeable to. 

If you are a qb that is worth his salt, you are cocksure about your talents with bravado. As well you should be. Oh, to be 21 again. 

If I am advising a top 10 talent, I tell them regardless the situation you are put in, you should declare and ensure your first NFL contract. That first contract, regardless the situation or team or how you perform, will guarantee you comfort for the rest of your life, if you handle your affairs prudently. That first contract is the goal. From there it is gravy.

The unknown in this is Lawrence and his family and I do not know them. But prudent advice would be to declare for the draft and take your chances after that. There are risks before that point if you don't. And by and large, that has been the trend recently.

The curveball in this is we don't know Douglas' thinking with that pick.

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

The fact of this though is that Lawrence will have a very good idea of who the next coach will be, or should, if the Jets work expeditiously and have a plan (yikes!). Lawrence does not need to declare until the middle of January. They will have been able to had contact with him (if he is their preference) by then, and understand directions he would be agreeable to. 

If you are a qb that is worth his salt, you are cocksure about your talents with bravado. As well you should be. Oh, to be 21 again. 

If I am advising a top 10 talent, I tell them regardless the situation you are put in, you should declare and ensure your first NFL contract. That first contract, regardless the situation or team or how you perform, will guarantee you comfort for the rest of your life, if you handle your affairs prudently. That first contract is the goal. From there it is gravy.

The unknown in this is Lawrence and his family and I do not know them. But prudent advice would be to declare for the draft and take your chances after that. There are risks before that point if you don't. And by and large, that has been the trend recently.

The curveball in this is we don't know Douglas' thinking with that pick.

I'm not saying I'd advise him to stay in school for another year. Just that the risk isn't as clear-cut as a decision between injury risk before getting paid and removing the injury risk by getting paid. 

At the same time, as bad as the Jets are, they're hardly the first bad stretch from a hapless organization in NFL history, whether it's the Browns, the Bengals, Lions, or prior Jets teams. Funny thing is the last time the Jets had the #1 pick and were staring at a big name QB, the QB returned to college because the Jets' decision-maker refused to commit to drafting him. The fear was the Jets trading down and his getting taken by a more direction-less team (or worse, that he'd follow his father's footsteps to the 'aints). 

Most likely even if the Jets end up with the #1 pick, Lawrence will declare for the draft and pretend to act excited to get drafted by the Jets. There aren't a lot of teams trending in the right direction who just earned the #1 overall pick a few months earlier. 

Injury risk aside, the likelihood is he won't repeat the year he's having, if for no other reason than he's having as close as possible to a perfect season. Really, there's nowhere to go but down. 

• Upvote 1